• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scrutable West: Industry Bias, Whitewashing and the Invisible Asian in Hollywood

Man if only the greatest director of all time was a Japanese man who cranked out several of the greatest films ever made with all Japanese casts in black and white with a myriad of topics and genres that cover the range of expressivism and storytelling with characters that's still standard today.

If only.

“I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they’re not very expressive,”

tumblr_oti05oibCI1wqchmuo3_250.gif

Korey

“I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they’re not very expressive,” one other casting director told Yuen. “They’re very shut down in their emotions..."

Ghost-in-the-Shell-header.jpg

Asian is such a broad category though. There are 48 countries in Asia and virtually all of them have different languages and looks. An Indian actor is very different from a Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, or South Korean actor. Most of the time when the internet says asian, its really short hand for "chinese or japanese" it feels like. Even then, it gets even more complicated when you factor in what we are really talking about is Asian American actors, who are going to be of mixed race many times. Tiger Woods and Nicki Minaj and Bruno Mars and Rob Schneider (yes, his mom is Filipino) and Norah Jones and The Rock could all be considered Asian American.

A typical blockbuster tentpole movie reason given why asian's are cast as leads is the idea that in Asia itself people will view white characters as "neutral", but in China a Japanese actor may be viewed as box office poison, or in India a Pakistani actor would be viewed similarly (and vica versa). Seems like a bullshit reason to me but I've heard it a few times, also applied to black actors. Feels like movies like the Fast and the Furious and comic book movies though are slowly breaking down that prejudice.

Be interesting to see how Black Panther does worldwide next year, not just domestic. More and more for movies, international sales are vastly dominating over domestic - Fast and Furious for example made $225m in USA, but over $1 billion overseas. Despicable Me 3 was $260m dom, $750m intl.

lupinko

Asian is such a broad category though. There are 48 countries in Asia and virtually all of them have different languages and looks. An Indian actor is very different from a Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, or South Korean actor. Most of the time when the internet says asian, its really short hand for "chinese or japanese" it feels like. Even then, it gets even more complicated when you factor in what we are really talking about is Asian American actors, who are going to be of mixed race many times. Tiger Woods and Nicki Minaj and Bruno Mars and Rob Schneider (yes, his mom is Filipino) and Norah Jones and The Rock could all be considered Asian American.

A typical blockbuster tentpole movie reason given why asian's are cast as leads is the idea that in Asia itself people will view white characters as "neutral", but in China a Japanese actor may be viewed as box office poison, or in India a Pakistani actor would be viewed similarly (and vica versa). Seems like a bullshit reason to me but I've heard it a few times, also applied to black actors. Feels like movies like the Fast and the Furious and comic book movies though are slowly breaking down that prejudice.

Be interesting to see how Black Panther does worldwide next year, not just domestic. More and more for movies, international sales are vastly dominating over domestic - Fast and Furious for example made $225m in USA, but over $1 billion overseas. Despicable Me 3 was $260m dom, $750m intl.

Fast and Furious yes, comic book movies not really. They used the lame Tibet excuse for the Ancient One when the character is from a fictionalized magical place that the real place is currently is.

They still could have cast an East or Central Asian actor to play the role by saying he's from said made up place (which he is, just calling it Tibet is just being lazy to people who are poser nerds when nerd things become cool, it'd be like calling Latveria, Latvia or whatever Eastern European country Latveria is supposed to be).

Racism towards Asians of all backgrounds is very widespread and is institutionalized at this point. It doesn't get as much news because of the model minority bullshit stereotype and the fact that Asians don't get shot in cold blood for just walking out their front door.

Bleepey

This thread couldn't have come at a better time, look what I got fed-ex'd to me today at the office from one of the biggest biotech companies in the world:

21551888_10102420597235547_4209722735769295147_o.jpg

So I guess Asians are expressive enough to substitute for black rappers at least.

I'm not surprised that a glass door review of Thermo I just read states that they have very little diversity in management. Things like this don't happen when you have minority voices in the room.

Is it wrong i find this funny?

Top Bottom