• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

I'm not sure, Ive seen dumb markups of $70-80+ for a system alone, some even $100+!

What are you seeing out thar way? Big bonus points if there's a working pair of 3D glasses!

yeah pretty pricey, just saw a set with 2x 3d glasses (ear clips broken) for 160 with a few games on my local craigslist.

IrishNinja

yeah pretty pricey, just saw a set with 2x 3d glasses (ear clips broken) for 160 with a few games on my local craigslist.

ouch! broken, no less...haha damn. maybe i should just focus on the system itself for now!

god knows down the road i want that mod, a master everdrive & such but it can all wait

I finally beat drago today!!!! Felt so good to be a champion.

I'm using a power base converter on my Genesis, I weird thing happened where I booted up choplifter and got a sega mark III boot up before the game loaded. It only happened once and I couldn't get the system/game to do it again.

D.Lo

I'm using a power base converter on my Genesis, I weird thing happened where I booted up choplifter and got a sega mark III boot up before the game loaded. It only happened once and I couldn't get the system/game to do it again.
Ah, it means a bios routine screwed up. Would be hard to replicate.

Mark III has no bios, the bios in the MS (and Mega Drive) is basically a region lock, so you somehow shorted out the bios.

Ah, it means a bios routine screwed up. Would be hard to replicate.

Mark III has no bios, the bios in the MS (and Mega Drive) is basically a region lock, so you somehow shorted out the bios.

it must've been after i beat drago, i was so juiced up with 80's Regan era muscle that i broke the lock switching games =P

but thanks for the knowledge and info on what was happening. interesting

D.Lo

If you short out the bios, the Power Base converter could actually play Japanese Sega Mycards for both Mark III and SG1000 directly,

That's why Mark III is the best hardware, no only does it looks like an awesome sci-fi prop, but it also plays all carts and cards from all regions with no modifications ($10 pin adapter required for western carts).

If you short out the bios, the Power Base converter could actually play Japanese Sega Mycards for both Mark III and SG1000 directly,

That's why Mark III is the best hardware, no only does it looks like an awesome sci-fi prop, but it also plays all carts and cards from all regions with no modifications ($10 pin adapter required for western carts).

Sometimes I dream that the Mega Drive had been backwards compatible all the way back to the SG-1000 and then the Saturn's cartridge slot also was a Mega Drive slot and further prolonging the backwards compatibility.

D.Lo

Sometimes I dream that the Mega Drive had been backwards compatible all the way back to the SG-1000 and then the Saturn's cartridge slot also was a Mega Drive slot and further prolonging the backwards compatibility.
Mega Drive is like 98% compatible with SG1000, they just cut some modes. The Mega Drive isn't so much backward compatible as an upgrade that included the entire previous system as its base (kind of like the Wii/GCN situation).

Yeah Sega had a penchant for recycling.

You have Mega-CD 32X games (eg Corpse Killer) in 1995 which play on an add on (32X) to an add on (Mega CD) to an upgrade (Mega Drive) to an upgrade (Mark III) to their first system from 1983, the SG1000, which was itself a straight Colecovision/Creativision clone.

Mega Drive is like 98% compatible with SG1000, they just cut some modes. The Mega Drive isn't so much backward compatible as an upgrade that included the entire previous system as its base (kind of like the Wii/GCN situation).

Yeah Sega had a penchant for recycling.

You have Mega-CD 32X games (eg Corpse Killer) in 1995 which play on an add on (32X) to an add on (Mega CD) to an upgrade (Mega Drive) to an upgrade (Mark III) to their first system from 1983, the SG1000, which was itself a straight Colecovision/Creativision clone.

Yeah, I've read that places that MEga Drive is basically taking the MS family and beefing it up further with the original MS design in it's core.

Speaking of thath I recently bought a Genesis (I have a PAL Mega Drive from before), but haven't tried my Power BAse Converter yet. I'm guessing it lets me play those PAL MS carts as they probably didn't have region locks?!

Haha, yeah that trail of hardware all the way back to 1983 is amazing!

A7zKykI.jpg

Soo.... This is my pickup from today. (Ignore Heiankyo Alien there)

The plan was to just pick up Phantasy Star, which was $29, not too shabby. I get to the store and the guys there, who are good friends of mine tell me "Hang on Rory.. we have something we need to show you that got traded in..." and they come out with the Mark III. It has the controller and the plugs, I just didn't toss those in the picture. They also had Lord of the Sword and Pit Pot, but they weren't priced yet. Now to go hunt down an FM Unit....

Billy Lee

I bought a Sega Control Stick for £4 from a car boot sale. I was a bit concerned that the stick is on the right-hand side but it feels so natural. It's very responsive and I like the feel of the bulky block on top of the stick. I highly recommend it.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

The plan was to just pick up Phantasy Star, which was $29, not too shabby. I get to the store and the guys there, who are good friends of mine tell me "Hang on Rory.. we have something we need to show you that got traded in..." and they come out with the Mark III. It has the controller and the plugs, I just didn't toss those in the picture. They also had Lord of the Sword and Pit Pot, but they weren't priced yet. Now to go hunt down an FM Unit....
Good luck. I ended up dropping $275 on my FM Sound unit without shipping because I was impatient

theclaw135

Banned

It's incredibly easy to find out. Just buy and plug in any Mark III Mycard (Comical Machine Gun Joe, Woody Pop, Pit Pot...), should start right up on a Genesis of all regions.

I don't think Genesis contains the Master System bios, you may have noticed there's no additional boot logo and you can't play Snail Maze (any logo that appears, is from the game itself)

Make sure it is not SG1000. Genesis graphics chip removed SG1000 compatibility mode.

Nevertheless the region jumper settings of a Genesis still apply to Master System games.
They can detect English or Japanese there, and even have things like NTSC/PAL optimized music. A few games contain officially unreleased Japanese localizations this way (Cloud Master, Shanghai...)

D.Lo

That's true actually, no idea why I typed SG1000, I believe a Mega Drive actually technically plays them, but can't display them playing.

They can detect English or Japanese there, and even have things like NTSC/PAL optimized music. A few games contain officially unreleased Japanese localizations this way (Cloud Master, Shanghai...)
it's even more than this, entire FM soundtracks are hidden in western-only games, and literally maybe a hundred have both Japanese and English text depending on the console settings.. Cloud Master was obviously meant to have a Mark III release which was canned right at the end, as it has a Japanese title screen and FM soundtrack in the ROM.

Good luck. I ended up dropping $275 on my FM Sound unit without shipping because I was impatient
Holy crap that's an insane price. But yes you have to wait for a good price, it took me a few months to get one at a good price a few years ago. I literally have only ever seen one in the wild in Japan.

so jealous you got PS for 29......

so jealous you got PS for 29......

I was straight up surprised. I regret selling it the first time. That time I had gotten it by trading away 3 SNES games. This was back in the mid/late 90's at a computer show. I saw this huge box full of SMS stuff with a SMS. Guy said he was cool with it and held it for me until the next day and it was all mine. I sold PS for nothing years later. -_-; I've at least held on to PS Collection on Sega Saturn.

IrishNinja

ugh

ive had 2 deals on trading for an SMS fall through in the last week or so, with a 3rd one here at GAF going silent. really kicking myself for not buying one off a friend years back for $40, now i'm broke & just trying to get my 1st console back and it's something of a mission.

anyone got any ideas?

D.Lo

Get a (much cheaper because less rare) PAL console, cut a single trace on the bottom of the board and it will now be 60Hz.

Composite won't work on many TVs but RGB will be perfect.

Grab Tim's FM board for premium music and you're laughing.

IrishNinja

prolly not a bad idea, do they have the snail game on board or what? also how hard is that FM mod, im gonna want that done and with baphomet missing im not sure who i'd hit up

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Get a (much cheaper because less rare) PAL console, cut a single trace on the bottom of the board and it will now be 60Hz.

Composite won't work on many TVs but RGB will be perfect.

Grab Tim's FM board for premium music and you're laughing.

Didnt know about this trace on the button, care to link to a decent guide?

IrishNinja

fuck it - someone just put one up on ebay with 3D glasses for $50 shipped, done. looks to be in good shape, there's a controller and i already have a light phaser (with a broken back end, haha) and an RGB cable!

3D glasses have one of their arms broken off, but he's shipping with it - any ideas with that, should i gorilla glue it or what? it's also missing the 3D adapter for the card slot, there's one for $20 on ebay but it sounds questionable so i'm gonna look around. also really needing a rapid fire dongle! where's a good spot for stuff like this?

D.Lo

Didnt know about this trace on the button, care to link to a decent guide?
Just look up 50/60Hz mod guides. Most mobos it's literally marked as PAL/NTSC on the top of the board. From memory PAL is 5V, NTSC is ground, so simply cutting the link to 5V grounds the signal, making it run at 60Hz. Technically you should bridge the ground line (to NTSC), but it won't make much difference. The mod is reversible just by bridging the 5V line again.

Composite will be slightly off on some screens, it may be in black and white because the frequency will not be quite right, but RGB will still be perfect. And I see no need for a switch, I don't give a crap about codemasters games lol.

It's exactly the same story for Mega Drives.

fuck it - someone just put one up on ebay with 3D glasses for $50 shipped, done. looks to be in good shape, there's a controller and i already have a light phaser (with a broken back end, haha) and an RGB cable!

3D glasses have one of their arms broken off, but he's shipping with it - any ideas with that, should i gorilla glue it or what? it's also missing the 3D adapter for the card slot, there's one for $20 on ebay but it sounds questionable so i'm gonna look around. also really needing a rapid fire dongle! where's a good spot for stuff like this?
3D glasses are useless without the dongle, and many dongles have dead caps. Make sure not to get the white Japanese dongle, as it won't work on a western SMS (it works the other way around however).

You can actually use Famicom 3D glasses or some other modern 3D glasses which are more comfortable than Sega's ones since the Sega ones are made for kids heads.

IrishNinja

yeah, i had a pair as a kid, so i'm familiar - just gotta find a stand-alone adapter for a good price, and reattach the arm!

Khaz

And I see no need for a switch, I don't give a crap about codemasters games lol.

Man, dissing Micro Machines?

Power Strike II is probably the only 50Hz game worthwhile at this point.
I quite like Wimbledon II too though.

IrishNinja

yeah, Micro Machines is fuckin' aces.

since the mark III paddle seems impossible to find for a decent price: how are Megumi Rescue & Alex Kidd: BMX with the sports pad?

all this SMS talk had me checking my local craigslist tonight. lol

congrats on finding a decent deal IrishNinja. i know you were looking for a set of those 3d glasses for a while.

Khaz

since the mark III paddle seems impossible to find for a decent price: how are Megumi Rescue & Alex Kidd: BMX with the sports pad?

It does come up once in a while for a decent price, yamakotu auctions also don't end very high. But yeah, there's an american seller with yellow lights who tries to sell them at stupid prices (and succeeds, apparently). Make yourself an ebay alert to get one for a fairer price.

The sports pad isn't compatible with paddle games I believe, they work differently.

D.Lo

I sold my spare paddle a while ago for AU$40. They go for cheap really. Or get one on Yahoo Japan.

The sports pad isn't compatible with paddle games I believe, they work differently.
Correct. No way they could really work the same way anyway really.

Man, dissing Micro Machines?

Power Strike II is probably the only 50Hz game worthwhile at this point.
I quite like Wimbledon II too though.
There are way better versions of Micro Machines to play lol. Same with Dizzy and Spacehead etc - there are better versions elsewhere.
Adding a switch is easy anyway for someone who cares.

IrishNinja

i literally have no idea what im doing with yahoo japan auctions, my google translate seems to imply there's no paddles currently up there but if anyone spots one for a good price, do let me know! then i can work on how to pay for things, haha

Nessus

Always loved how Master System had a few games that were blatant clones of NES games, like Master Of Darkness which was a Castlevania clone, or Golden Axe Warrior which was a Zelda clone.

IrishNinja

Always loved how Master System had a few games that were blatant clones of NES games, like Master Of Darkness which was a Castlevania clone, or Golden Axe Warrior which was a Zelda clone.

agreed - but those examples are some of the best clones, i'd argue! Golden Axe Warrior actually tries to improve on some things in the classic zelda formula as it goes. man, id still love to find Master of Darkness for a good price too!

Khaz

i literally have no idea what im doing with yahoo japan auctions, my google translate seems to imply there's no paddles currently up there but if anyone spots one for a good price, do let me know! then i can work on how to pay for things, haha

There's a nice auction going on for a MarkIII with two controllers and a paddle.
http://buyee.jp/item/search?query=パドルコントロール (you can change the interface to English)
I'm using buyee to import stuff. I tried fromjapan, but their fees are similar so I just go with the official option.

D.Lo

I think I'm 10 games away from a complete in box Mark III collection!

Saw this and thought it would be appreciated here.

Little Sega history and mostly about the Master System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssOxXKPSNmM
The history stuff was good at the start, always funny to remember Sega was started by Americans. But once it got to the systems it kind of went off the deep end a bit, and came across as a common UK gamer 'Got a Sega when I was a kid' fanboy lol.

"The Amazing' Psyco Fox" lol yeah okay buddy don't get carried away ;)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just look up 50/60Hz mod guides. Most mobos it's literally marked as PAL/NTSC on the top of the board. From memory PAL is 5V, NTSC is ground, so simply cutting the link to 5V grounds the signal, making it run at 60Hz. Technically you should bridge the ground line (to NTSC), but it won't make much difference. The mod is reversible just by bridging the 5V line again.

Composite will be slightly off on some screens, it may be in black and white because the frequency will not be quite right, but RGB will still be perfect. And I see no need for a switch, I don't give a crap about codemasters games lol.

It's exactly the same story for Mega Drives.

Thanks!

The history stuff was good at the start, always funny to remember Sega was started by Americans. But once it got to the systems it kind of went off the deep end a bit, and came across as a common UK gamer 'Got a Sega when I was a kid' fanboy lol.

"The Amazing' Psyco Fox" lol yeah okay buddy don't get carried away ;)

Lol, yeah that game is the definition of mediocrity.

IrishNinja

USPS says my SMS should be here tomorrow (despite being in chicago right now), yayyy!

stupid hyped for this old thing, haha. just missed it so. and yeah, that video was fantastic, even taught me some stuff - i knew EU saw way more SMS releases, but 100+, that's crazy. we got a few as late game gear releases, but still. gonna dive in when i get this everdrive for the holidays!

and yeah, Psycho Fox was a good game! just...tricky physics

IrishNinja

okay! so a buddy working a local shop found me an extra 3D glasses adapter, woo hoo!

was just trying to find a raid fire dongle/adapter, ebay wants at least $25 which seems silly to me. found a site with em for $15...with $9 shipping, haha. they'd do $39 for the dongle + stick but i really think i can do better.

anyone know any good sites to check? amazon's not great here either.

Contributing to the thread, I'm all set for some lightgun fun!

Ct8i-ksWIAAWlZ1.jpg

I ran the game through my PAL Power Base Converter to a Genesis. Kind of thinking the music is running too fast, or is it just running the correct speed?

Anyways, fun and different light gun game, much approved!

IrishNinja

update: new system works great! it's oddly got missile defense 3D as the built-in game (never seen that before), wish it was Snail but maybe ill trade later for that model or something, this one's BIOS say like '88.

works great, i already had an RGB cable & AC adapter, so i was set. pad's good but i only used it for one night out of nostalgia before going back to the genny's 6 button one, haha.

and the 3D glasses work great too! so happy with that, my buddy's shop donated that adapter so i had a blast with em last night, plus they sold me a light phaser for $8...passed on a loose copy of Psycho Fox for $20 cause i'm so broke, heh.

can't wait for my master everdrive this christmas, and a dude on SMSpower offered to FM mod for $25 if i sent the system + board, i think the latter's about $65 so that's gonna have to wait for a bit. but yeah, so glad to have this thing up & running again! might finally finish Zillion one day.

update: new system works great! it's oddly got missile defense 3D as the built-in game (never seen that before), wish it was Snail but maybe ill trade later for that model or something, this one's BIOS say like '88.

works great, i already had an RGB cable & AC adapter, so i was set. pad's good but i only used it for one night out of nostalgia before going back to the genny's 6 button one, haha.

and the 3D glasses work great too! so happy with that, my buddy's shop donated that adapter so i had a blast with em last night, plus they sold me a light phaser for $8...passed on a loose copy of Psycho Fox for $20 cause i'm so broke, heh.

can't wait for my master everdrive this christmas, and a dude on SMSpower offered to FM mod for $25 if i sent the system + board, i think the latter's about $65 so that's gonna have to wait for a bit. but yeah, so glad to have this thing up & running again! might finally finish Zillion one day.
congrats on getting a nice system. i never heard of missile defense built in.

yes, i need to finish Zillion I, (i beat part 2 so many times)

BKK

It's the rarest bios, so worth a little bit more, but there's no room left for the snail maze. All other US SMS1s have it though.

D.Lo

The FM mod is literally two wires (plus the plug) you could do it yourself surely? One of the easiest add-on mods ever made.

D.Lo

Well yes of course. It's an add on board that plugs into the back cartridge port. All the communication to generate the music is done by the cart connector. The two wires are just to mix the FM and PSG sound on the same line.

Top Bottom