• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Sega Sony hardware system" - how Sega of America & Sony tried to team up

onQ123

Damn Sony went to Nintendo & Sega & tried to help them help themselves but they laughed at Sony & made Sony go back to their lab with thoughts of revenge which made Sony come back & just kick both their asses lol.

More like Sony was little Bruce Wayne until Nintendo and Sega killed his parents Now we got Batman.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

casmith07

I remember Sony Imagesoft putting out a bunch of licensed garbage in the 16-bit era. If I were Sega, I wouldn't want to put my money on them. Not that Digital Pictures was much better with the FMV schlock, but at least they put out original exclusive games.

Sony Imagesoft published a ton of TV and movie adaptations of games. They only developed two games: Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.

Mr Swine

Banned
And i guess both of them regretted their choice badly at some point.

I'm happy how everything turned out, though.

Yeah because right now this new may be Sony dominated like the other 2 gens where there was almost no competition from Nintendo, Sega or MS. Oh joy how fun that will be :|

kasane

There has to be more to the story? Like the part that gets glossed over in the Nintendo/Sony fallout is that Sony wanted rights to Nintendo IP and that wasn't acceptable.

Maybe the SEGA deal had something similar, and that's why the board didn't approve it?

AFAIK Nintendo signed the contract. So its partly Nintendo's fault since they didn't read over the damned contract.

Wonder what the pricing would be if each of the companies were sharing the loss of each console. Would this mean that the hardware would have been better since they each eat a certain percentage of the loss? Could we have had, like, I don't know M2 graphics in 1995? lol

Cool story.

No, because as I said, I don't think Sony officially offered a CD drive to Nintendo.

Kutaragi was talking to Nintendo. Off the record. Sony didn't even know he was talking to them, and would not have allowed it. Kutaragi is on record as saying that the Play Station was motivated by his desire to improve videogames and make the world a better place.

I propose that Nintendo (in the sound chip contract) gave Sony the right to make some hardware profits, and gave Kutaragi the freedom to experiment and make a better SNES. I don't think that they specifically asked for a CD drive and signed a contract for it, not knowing what it was, or knowing but not realizing it's implications. I think their mistake was a little bit broader and more general than that.

I think it's an issue of Occam's Razor, one contract, not two. Nintendo gave away a thing in the sound chip contract which they've demonstrated a clear willingness to give to others, but without an important safety check. Kutaragi followed his ambitions, and Nintendo was to some degree ignorant of them. This created a situation where Sony Proper and Nintendo Proper had no choice but to meet horns over the ownership of Kutaragi's work.

That or (if we believe there was a specific contract for the Play Station), Nintendo is tremendously ignorant, and both sides couldn't write a contract to save their own lives.

I don't think I'll trust IGN on this. IGN came into the picture with the N64. And it looks like they're parrotting-but-modifying the words of David Sheff from Game Over. When IGN says I don't think that means that IGN has seen the contract, and they can confirm what it states, I think that IGN merely read how David Sheff wrote and they're rephrasing it as their own work.

So you're suggesting that Sony decided to come up with their own CD-ROM system with no input or a contract from Nintendo? What just for shits and giggles? The Sony CD-ROM deal had been in the works for years and you have no evidence even suggesting that Sony went on 'unofficially' to make the add on unit.

Here's another article that mentions it. Again 1988.

If you have evidence that is contrary to this by all means... I'm all ears. But I see no evidence of this. Also, do you have any proof or even hints that Game Over was wrong about the contract?

As far as Occam's Razor, if you think it is less likely that Sony decided to work on a CD-ROM add on as well as a combined system on their own without a contract from Nintendo I just have no words. It is far more likely that Nintendo never ones to be all that forward thinking when it comes to hardware, thought that CD-ROM wasn't going to go anywhere, until they were shown otherwise?

IrishNinja

really interesting, given how there were some rumblings about this before but nothing i saw that was concrete. id read a book of stuff like this from Kalinske in a minute...it's really heartbreaking seeing all the progressive stuff SOA was doing at this point, but so many seem to think of them and just stuff like 32x

So Sony is pretty much the super villain created by the good guys.

haha, i like this - i never really villified them myself & have enjoyed their hardware, but there was a sentiment that because they were so huge & didn't make games, they were "buying" their way into the industry. what's funny now is, they've invested so much in various studios that they've long since shed that, while i still hear MS get that association

Good for Sony, can't imagine a world with only fucking Nintendo games.

this is a really closed-minded approach; while both esoteric and risque, nintendo fucking games are quietly some of the better ones from that dark scene

AmyS

More about the third and final version of the SNES CD-ROM:

One Standard to Rule Them All

In October of 1992, publishers were growing tired of all the different CD formats on the market and in an attempt to create an industry wide standard, executives from the largest Nintendo licensees met with Hiroshi Yamauchi to persuade him to join forces with Sony again.

After discussions, an agreement was reached between Nintendo, Philips and Sony. The companies would create hardware that would use the same CD standard worldwide. Nintendo was awarded the rights to control and license all games for both Sony's Play Station and the Philips SNES CD-ROM drive while Sony was given control of all non-game software - edutainment, movies, etc. - for the Play Station.

A Super Famicom cartridge called the "System Cartridge" was placed into the normal cartridge slot (as pictured above). This cart contained a chip that handled the communication between the SNES and the Nintendo CD's RAM memory using a system called H.A.N.D.S. (Hyper Advanced Nintendo Data transfer System). The CD-ROM drive attached beneath the SNES via its expansion slot. A 32-bit Co-CPU would assist the SNES CPU, boosting the speed from 3.58 Mhz to an impressive 21.477 Mhz.

After the deal was made Sony said, "We concluded that we had to ally ourselves with Nintendo when we saw that it was going to be the 16-bit winner. We wanted access to all those Nintendo players."

After the reunion with Sony, a new system standard between Philips, Sony and Nintendo began development - the SNES Nintendo Disk a.k.a. Philips CD-ROM XA. It was also decided that the machine would be 32-bit instead of 16-bit (Sega's CD add-on was just 16-bit).

The games for the Nintendo Disk would be featured on a CD-cartridge hybrid. A 56Kbit RAM memory chip was to be used for saving game data. The CDs would be able to hold 540 megabytes of data.

This time Nintendo cooperated with both Sony AND Philips to make this new console. Some sources say that Nintendo only had a slight interest in developing this new CD system because they stood to profit more from a cart based model. Moveover, by this time, it was clear that other CD systems like the Sega CD and NEC's CD were faltering.

In August 1992 Nintendo announced the advent of its new Super FX chip. The Argonaut developed S-FX chip had the effect that Nintendo delayed its CD add-on even more. The CD-ROM had to now be upgraded to be better than the S-FX chip.

Changes in 1993

Around May of 1993, Nintendo released the last tech specs and information relating to the SNES add-on. A release date for fall of 1994 and a tentative price of $200 was set. In addition, it was announced that the CD format could hold 540 megabytes and that several games were already in development. It was rumored that Zelda and a Street Fighter 2 sequel were in development.

The rest here

From another source:

Sony, Nintendo and Philips
After the reunion with Sony, Nintendo starts developing a new console, the SNES Nintendo Disk a.k.a. Philips CD-ROM XA. This time Nintendo cooperated with both Sony AND Philips to make this new console. Some sources says that Nintendo only had a slight interest in developing this new CD system (because they stood to profit more from a cart based model and that other CD systems like the SEGA CD and NEC's cd were faltering.

The SNES Nintendo Disk
Nintendo's SNES CD extension was named Super Nintendo ND (Nintendo Disk) and it was supposed to have a 32-bit Co-CPU to assist the SNES original CPU. The games wasn´t supposed to be just on a CD alone.
The games was going to be in cartridges with a 56kbit Ram memory chip, to be use for saving game data (such as save games etc.). With the ND extension the SNES´s CPU speed was going to be raised from 3.58 Mhz to a massive 21.477 Mhz! The ND's CDs was going to be able to contain 4 320 Megabits of data (540 Megabyte).

How the system worked...

A SNES cartridge named the System cartridge, was put in the normal cartridge slot. This cart contained a chip that handled the communication between the SNES and the NCD addon's RAM memory using a system called H.A.N.D.S. which stands for Hyper Advanced Nintendo Data transfer System. The CD Rom drive, CPU and RAM etc was attached beneath the SNES (see picture above.), through it´s bottom expansion slot.

To sort things out there were 3 different Nintendo CD consoles:
1. The Play Station which Nintendo and Sony were planning on based on the their deal with Nintendo from 1988.
2. The Nintendo/Philips CD-ROM add-on based on the agreement between Philips and Nintendo around the time of the C.E.S. in June 1991.
3. The Philips CD-ROM XA / SNES Nintendo Disk which were a product of the cooperation between both Nintendo, Sony and Philips. Based on a deal struck around October - November 1992.

The rest of that here

nib95

Banned
Yea, read about this many years ago. Sega and Nintendo created their own worst competition by ignoring an enthusiastic potential giant.

Vic is really awesome, and another person i'd love to read a book by, honestly...the stuff he's dropped over the years across this forum gives an insight to some of gaming's crazier/really interesting years

I love VIc, he's been honest as to his feelings and not caring what others thought of him ever since I've known him. He was kinda the David Jaffe of the 16 bit era. He did say that whoever got their online infrastructure in place would win this gen though, so great prediction there. He also had a tendency of backing losers for a bit, until he got on the Sony train. Still pissed Cosmic Fantasy 3 never came out here. He was pretty psyched for it back in the day.

Except Sony. LOL.

Oh they have their levels of shorsightedness too. $599 will be remembered in the gaming annals alongside Sega's early launch and the N64 Japan implosion. Nintendo and Sega in the 90s though had a special case of tunnel vision, and it came around to bite them in the ass.

Biker19

Banned
Yea, read about this many years ago. Sega and Nintendo created their own worst competition by ignoring an enthusiastic potential giant.

And because of this, Nintendo became mostly irrelevant in the console scene (especially with always receiving poor 3rd party support), as well as Sega going bankrupt from the gaming hardware business (which is most likely their own doing; Playstation's popularity was the final nail in the coffin for them).

If they could go back in time & fix everything, they would.

only a few gens later, though...

Oh they have their levels of shorsightedness too. $599 will be remembered in the gaming annals alongside Sega's early launch and the N64 Japan implosion.

Very true, but thanks to that debacle, they've learned their lesson on that as well as learning their lesson on not to make their platforms "undeveloper friendly" like with both PS2 & PS3.

IrishNinja

I love VIc, he's been honest as to his feelings and not caring what others thought of him ever since I've known him. He was kinda the David Jaffe of the 16 bit era. He did say that whoever got their online infrastructure in place would win this gen though, so great prediction there. He also had a tendency of backing losers for a bit, until he got on the Sony train. Still pissed Cosmic Fantasy 3 never came out here. He was pretty psyched for it back in the day.

agreed on the Jaffe bit - by the by, did the Cosmic Fantasy story carry over, or was it more kinda spiritually linked? i don't recall seeing 1 over here either

Very true, but thanks to that debacle, they've learned their lesson on that as well as learning their lesson on not to make their platforms "undeveloper friendly" like with both PS2 & PS3.

right, but you've gotta appreciate...while i often highlight nintendo's unique ability to salvage/turn things around with their IPs, sony (and MS, clearly) exists in a spot very few in the short history of consoles ever have: they can afford to hemorrhage billions to learn that lesson & provide what looks to be a great system addressing the great # of issues they'd had (and good call on "undeveloper friendly", i can't remember with PS1 but i know from 2 on that was the trend)

Biker19

Banned
(and good call on "undeveloper friendly", I can't remember with PS1 but I know from 2 on that was the trend)

PS1 was very developer friendly, unlike with Sega Saturn which was a pain in the rear for 3rd party developers.

Sony's now headed back down that path with PS4.

agreed on the Jaffe bit - by the by, did the Cosmic Fantasy story carry over, or was it more kinda spiritually linked? i don't recall seeing 1 over here either

Nah, they are all linked, 1-3 have different main characters but in 2 you have links to 1, I still have my Japanese copy of 1 I keep meaning to fumble through, it was pretty cool for what it was, but gameplay was never king in those games. Still 2 was one of my favorites that gen if only for the story going damn dark in ways I didn't expect.

right, but you've gotta appreciate...while i often highlight nintendo's unique ability to salvage/turn things around with their IPs, sony (and MS, clearly) exists in a spot very few in the short history of consoles ever have: they can afford to hemorrhage billions to learn that lesson & provide what looks to be a great system addressing the great # of issues they'd had (and good call on "undeveloper friendly", i can't remember with PS1 but i know from 2 on that was the trend)

Yeah, but there are limits on both ends. I think people go overboard with Sony bowing out but both MS and Sony need to keep investors happy, and there are definitely limits to how far they can go before having to pack it in.

Fox Mulder

But Sega had already collaborated with Sony on the Sega CD.

Sure, sega made arcade machines and a few consoles, but Sony was a huge name in electronics and their sound processor in the snes ran laps around the Genesis.

Sucks that sega was so narrow sighted.

Cheerilee

So you're suggesting that Sony decided to come up with their own CD-ROM system with no input or a contract from Nintendo? What just for shits and giggles? The Sony CD-ROM deal had been in the works for years and you have no evidence even suggesting that Sony went on 'unofficially' to make the add on unit.
You don't read very well. I've said twice now that I believe that Nintendo gave one of their design partners permission to make and sell Nintendo hardware under their own brand. This is not something that Nintendo finds objectionable. Just take a look at the Panasonic Q.

Ken Kutaragi believed that CD ROM technology was the way of the future. I think it's likely that he spoke of this to Nintendo beforehand, in an unofficial capacity, because that's one of the opinions that he held, and because at the time he was speaking things to Nintendo in an unofficial capacity. If he did speak to Nintendo about CD ROM, I'm not sure how much weight that discussion would have held. And that's where misunderstandings can start to creep in.

I believe that after Sony was given permission to make their own Nintendo hardware, Kutaragi was given a green light, so he started making the hardware he wanted. I think the reason for the breakdown, as well as the reason for the inconclusive lawsuits, is because these things weren't clearly defined in any specific "contract" for the SNES CD.

The courts concluded that Sony had the right to make and control the Play Station, and in spite of Sony's "exclusive right", Phillips was allowed to make an entirely different SNES CD.

Here's another article that mentions it. Again 1988.

If you have evidence that is contrary to this by all means... I'm all ears. But I see no evidence of this. Also, do you have any proof or even hints that Game Over was wrong about the contract?
Yeah, because like IGN, Danny Cowan from 1up is one of the "old guard" of videogame journalism. I'm sure he attended CES in 1991, and has access to controversial and long-buried Japanese contracts. [/sarcasm]

From my experience, David Sheff is the only one who was ever given deep access to this story. Everyone else is basing their stories on his work. And Sheff never said that there were two contracts. Just that both sides had "a contract" which they were pointing to and launching lawsuits over the wording of.

Given the date of the contract, and the lack of clarity (both in terms of mistakes made and solutions afterward), I believe this was not specifically an SNES CD contract, but the possible weakness I described in the sound chip contract (Sony's permission to make hardware, unchecked).

IrishNinja

Yeah, but there are limits on both ends. I think people go overboard with Sony bowing out but both MS and Sony need to keep investors happy, and there are definitely limits to how far they can go before having to pack it in.

quite right, but i personally worried more for MS during the low points, as they've dropped out of bigger business before - with sony, what divisions have been nearly as profitable for them as gaming (well, let's say potentially profitable here)? i honestly haven't followed many details on the restructuring

more like the underdog shunned by the big boys, only to become a champion.

this isn't the same without a kaz avatar

You don't read very well. I've said twice now that I believe that Nintendo gave one of their design partners permission to make and sell Nintendo hardware under their own brand. This is not something that Nintendo finds objectionable. Just take a look at the Panasonic Q.

Ken Kutaragi believed that CD ROM technology was the way of the future. I think it's likely that he spoke of this to Nintendo beforehand, in an unofficial capacity, because that's one of the opinions that he held, and because at the time he was speaking things to Nintendo in an unofficial capacity. If he did speak to Nintendo about CD ROM, I'm not sure how much weight that discussion would have held. And that's where misunderstandings can start to creep in.

But again, there is a difference between what you are talking about and the unveiling of a CDROM system at CES. It defies credulity to assume that Sony would do that without at the very least a firm commitment from Nintendo. You state a lot of belief but not a lot of evidence to back it up. Where is the evidence that what you propose is the case?

The courts concluded that Sony had the right to make and control the Play Station, and in spite of Sony's "exclusive right", Phillips was allowed to make an entirely different SNES CD.

So where is this story, everything I have read points to the law suits never going forward. I admit I may have missed something, but this is never mentioned. What is mentioned is the fact that Sony didn't go forward with the lawsuits for the reasons I have mentioned before.

IrishNinja

...bishopcruz, i don't know how much you know bout this japanese culture (i'm an expert), but something something honor & public sudoku

Cheerilee

But again, there is a difference between what you are talking about and the unveiling of a CDROM system at CES. It defies credulity to assume that Sony would do that without at the very least a firm commitment from Nintendo. You state a lot of belief but not a lot of evidence to back it up. Where is the evidence that what you propose is the case?

Sony didn't need any commitment from Nintendo. The original Play Station had no Nintendo branding on it whatsoever. It was entirely Sony branded, right down to the controllers. Sony even verbally claimed total ownership over it.

Kutaragi wanted to see the Play Station get made. I don't think he particularly cared who owned it. He would've been willing to work for Nintendo. But he convinced his bosses that it was a good idea, and showed that he had a permission slip from Nintendo, so Sony let him make it. After it was done, Sony said to Nintendo "What? This thing is ours. We made it."

I don't believe that Nintendo pushed for it's creation, when at the time just about every account says that they had no idea what CD ROM even was. And it's ridiculous to think that Nintendo would contract Sony to build something for them, but neglect to mention that they would like to... you know... have it.

Raist

Banned
Sony didn't need any commitment from Nintendo. The original Play Station had no Nintendo branding on it whatsoever. It was entirely Sony branded, right down to the controllers. Sony even verbally claimed total ownership over it.

Kutaragi wanted to see the Play Station get made. I don't think he particularly cared who owned it. He would've been willing to work for Nintendo. But he convinced his bosses that it was a good idea, and showed that he had a permission slip from Nintendo, so Sony let him make it. After it was done, Sony said to Nintendo "What? This thing is ours. We made it."

I don't believe that Nintendo pushed for it's creation, when at the time just about every account says that they had no idea what CD ROM even was. And it's ridiculous to think that Nintendo would contract Sony to build something for them, but neglect to mention that they would like to... you know... have it.

So you're essentially saying that the story makes no sense because Nintendo didn't know what a cd-rom was and wouldn't have some ownership disagreements, but that Kutaragi pulled a quick one by doing everything on his own, some kind of evil masterplan, and somehow convinced Sony top execs that he's been green lit to do this by Nintendo, while showing them a contract about a sound chip. And all this against every single article ever written on the topic.

Makes sense.

malfcn

I think one of the craziest things is Nintendo chose a company to partner with over a fellow JP company. Wasn't that stuff more unheard of before?

Cheerilee

So you're essentially saying that the story makes no sense because Nintendo didn't know what a cd-rom was and wouldn't have some ownership disagreements,
Sony showing off a Sony-branded console, announcing themselves as “sole worldwide licenser of the Super Disc format,” and convincing third parties to dump Nintendo and join the loving embrace of the Sony camp, because of a technology that by all accounts Nintendo did not understand or desire, is quite a doozy of an ownership disagreement.

but that Kutaragi pulled a quick one by doing everything on his own, some kind of evil masterplan,
http://www.giantbomb.com/ken-kutaragi/3040-48015/

"In the late 1980's Kutaragi realized the exciting potential in video games while watching his daughter playing the Famicom. Ironically, the father of the playstation began working in secret with Nintendo when they needed a wave table sound chip for Nintendo's upcoming new 16-bit system as Sony expressed little interest in the video game industry at the time. As you would expect, Sony executives were furious when they learned Kutaragi was working in secret with Nintendo, it was through Norio Ohga that Kutaragi was able to keep his job at Sony and still complete the project he started with Nintendo, the SPC700.

Kutaragi managed to persuade Sony, again with the help of Sony CEO Norio Ohaga, to fund his next project, The Super NES CD, despite opposition and at a time when video games were regarded as a fad. The Super NES CD would eventually become the Playstation."

and somehow convinced Sony top execs that he's been green lit to do this by Nintendo, while showing them a contract about a sound chip.
800px-Panasonic-Q-Console-Set.jpg

"When Nintendo signed Matsushita as the producer of the optical disc drives that power the GameCube, an agreement was struck allowing Matsushita to produce a DVD system with the capability to play GameCube games."

And all this against every single article ever written on the topic.
Against articles that blatantly and inaccurately crib from Game Over.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
thanks for posting, was a fantastic read.

Japan not listening to what anyone in the US has to say seems like a trend in gaming. Imagine if SoA had actually gotten even half of their ideas through. Sega might still be in the hardware biz.

its so strange the difference in cultures. You see it here in gaming, and in consumer cameras even today, where for the most part the Japanese feel they know best and its very hard to get them to listen to feedback.

Wonder if things would have gone down differently if Sony had approached Sega of Japan first rather than the American brand? Those two halves of Sega back in the 90's were constantly at war with each other.

Wow. This is like having a girl who's really into you, but you're kinda like "whatever bitch, I got my own shit going on, I don't have time for a relationship right now." Then as revenge, she goes to bang your nemesis, who also turns her down, cuz he's so busy plotting his next attack on you. Then, the girl (Sony) becomes a world famous movie star, your friend/enemy/frenemy commits suicide (Sega) and you're stuck in a relationship that you kinda just stumbled into, your life is aimless, and you don't know what the next few years of your life will be like (Nintendo/Wii U).

The moral: never turn down free sex, or that chick whose into you, no matter WHAT. She may end up becoming a PS-Quadruple

This.made me physically ROFL. Thanks.

Raist

Banned
Sony showing off a Sony-branded console, announcing themselves as “sole worldwide licenser of the Super Disc format,” and convincing third parties to dump Nintendo and join the loving embrace of the Sony camp, because of a technology that by all accounts Nintendo did not understand or desire, is quite a doozy of an ownership disagreement.

You mean this?

inline-4-231-12.gif

That came way later, when shit had hit the fan already.

http://www.giantbomb.com/ken-kutaragi/3040-48015/

"In the late 1980's Kutaragi realized the exciting potential in video games while watching his daughter playing the Famicom. Ironically, the father of the playstation began working in secret with Nintendo when they needed a wave table sound chip for Nintendo's upcoming new 16-bit system as Sony expressed little interest in the video game industry at the time. As you would expect, Sony executives were furious when they learned Kutaragi was working in secret with Nintendo, it was through Norio Ohga that Kutaragi was able to keep his job at Sony and still complete the project he started with Nintendo, the SPC700.

Kutaragi managed to persuade Sony, again with the help of Sony CEO Norio Ohaga, to fund his next project, The Super NES CD, despite opposition and at a time when video games were regarded as a fad. The Super NES CD would eventually become the Playstation."

This "secret" bit is well known and is about the sound chip. He did that on his own. That says nothing about the snes-cd deal.

800px-Panasonic-Q-Console-Set.jpg

"When Nintendo signed Matsushita as the producer of the optical disc drives that power the GameCube, an agreement was struck allowing Matsushita to produce a DVD system with the capability to play GameCube games."

So in order to prove that Nintendo had not part in it, you give an example of Nintendo allowing Matsushita to produce a DVD player playing Nintendo games. That's rather confusing.

Against articles that blatantly and inaccurately crib from Game Over.

OK. Well as others have said, where's the backup for all this other than "I refuse to believe that Nintendo would have done this!"?

I mean it's a bit odd that Nintendo Power would talk about a "cd-rom unit currently being developped jointly by Nintendo and Sony" back in their June 1991 issue.

Top Bottom