• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Sega Sony hardware system" - how Sega of America & Sony tried to team up

Nintendo:

aizen_logo__ask_.png

Sega:

Byakuya2-1-.jpg

Sony:

bleach_ichigo1322.png

I don't understand how Sega of America gave up all the power to Sega of Japan considering that Sega was founded in America by Americans if I remember correctly.

AmyS

Wow, thanks for the links.

The Nintendo-Sony spat is famous, whilst this story seems to have kind of flown under the radar a bit.

Thing is, I remember reading that interview several years ago. Yet I completely glossed over the Sega-Sony hardware part.
I mean, I just don't remember that part at all.

Toparaman

Banned
The story of the Playstation's success is one of my favorite success stories, despite being more of an N64 guy myself.

Someone should make a graphic novel of it.

Eusis

ITT we white knight Sony.
It's why I think I'd rather find analogies that aren't necessarily flattering to any of them, not fully anyway, and GoT is probably the best popular example for that. Nintendo ruled but was arrogant, SEGA was foolishg but lucky, and Sony was crafty but similar to Nintendo ruled and got arrogant, and Microsoft exploited this and stole half their power.

Translated.

Re-translated for people with less an fuck's worth of knowledge about Nintendo:

I can. It's a glorious world with Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Kirby, Pikmin, Star Fox, Super Smash Bros., Kid Icarus, Mother, Animal Crossing, Warioware, and F-Zero. And less shitty, QTE-bloated AAA games that all play exactly the same.

That is incorrect. I possess neither "a gamer" nor "a fanboy".

No your clearly a fanboy if you think that all other games not made by nintendo are AAA QTE whatever you said.

ITT we white knight Sony.

Not really. My pictures were just trying to shows how Sony who was the underdog in the videogame industry topped the two giants. Basically just their first gen. Its hard to find analogies after that as it gets complicated.

Celine

...damn shame what happened to this thread
To be expected.
Talking about VG history is hard because all the bullshit around and the sheer ignorance on the subject.

Not really. My pictures were just trying to shows how Sony who was the underdog in the videogame industry topped the two giants. Basically just their first gen. Its hard to find analogies after that as it gets complicated.
But was Sony the underdog?
Sure it didn't have at the time the development resource in the gaming business it built up after but from the start (I'm talking 1993 onward) Sony was heavily backed by the majority of the industry (it's really really easy to understand it if you read a couple of Edge issue around those years).

Also despite being at the time a corporation with little knowledge in the [gaming] business they had many advantage over pure videogame company like Sega and Nintendo like a wide distribution net in what were once peripheral markets like the fragmented european countries.
Not to talk that not being a "pure" videogame company let them change the business model for an hardware maker in a way that was simply unthinkable for Nintendo or Sega.

In a span of 5 years competition became so fierce that what remained were just two big corporation whose main business are in other fields and the richest videogame company, all the other "pure" videogame company with hardware division (Sega, Hudson Soft, SNK, Atari, Commodore, 3DO) exited the market in the nineties.

Dural666

Neo Member
The birth of the PlayStation surely is very interesting. Unfortunately I'm still catching up this thread so I don't know if this has been posted yet: For those who speak French, I highly recommend those two books:

http://www.editionspixnlove.com/Tou...ayStation-Vol.1-Ken-Kutaragi/flypage.tpl.html

and

http://www.editionspixnlove.com/Tou...-Vol.2-Les-Hommes-de-l-Ombre/flypage.tpl.html

This first book explains the whole story how Kutaragi got inspired from a Computer and Engine called System G in September 1984 till the consecration of his dream, the PlayStation which came out in 1994. This book explains as well his hard battle with the big heads from Sony to get his project approved.

The second book, translated as "The men from the shadows", regroups interviews from 23 creators from the PlayStation, like the designer from the console and other people which aren't as famous as Kutaragi.

RAIDEN1

Caught up with this thread couple of weeks back....gotta say its really fascinating, does anyone else have any links to other threads that are similar to this? Would be great to read...

Kanyon

another concept of the all-in-one Play Station / Super Famicom
gdlvoCA.jpg

What seems to be two different concepts of the 32-Bit Nintendo Disc
243uuBz.jpg

This article was a great read, absolutely eye opening. I really love finding out little bits of history about previous hardware and I really love looking at prototypes and seeing how they make this stuff.

Bundy

Banned
This article was a great read, absolutely eye opening. I really love finding out little bits of history about previous hardware and I really love looking at prototypes and seeing how they make this stuff.
Hm, I like the black one :)

Top Bottom