• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silver Case |OT| Kill The Past

That warning page in the second link should be in the description on every storefront this game is available on. It would either scare people off or entice them to take the challenge, but reading that whole thing is incredibly dense and crazy like the game itself.

Heck, had I actually realized the manuals were included, I wouldn't have needed to do that internet search for that character sheet once I finished the game a while back, and deal with all the now outdated fan translations. Really cool going through these, though.

cj_iwakura

Finished Parade and Tsuki. I knew a lot of it, but seeing the pieces come together... rough. Especially the epilogue of Parade, real sad.

cj_iwakura

I seriously think Tokio is the best character in the game, followed closely by Sumio, of course.

About Tsuki Part 2 though (Tokio's third Case/story)...

tumblr_naj0th4osS1rr5qhqo2_r1_500.gif

My mind was blown...

HUGE Silver Case/FSR spoilers:
Sumio was deaf all along? WHAT IN THE FUUUUUCK? Now those weird voices in FSR make even more sense. The implications here is all kinds of fucked up and crazy considering the turn of events during Parade and Tsuki...like how messed up Sumio is mentally and how he ends up tripping out making his own reality in FSR and sees people but is lip reading and those weird reverb voices we hear so much of...it wasn't just an aesthetic choice, after all? What in the fuck, man.
This bit about the reverb voices blows my mind.

WarRock

Hmm, so, is loading a save file supposed to take me to the start of the chapter again? I got stuck during #1, took a break and now can't jump directly to the investigation in Babylon.

Edit:
Ok, restarting the game did the trick. Still stuck though, maybe I should sleep instead of playing more =D

Golnei

After a considerable break, I went through AI.

Given how the prior Placebo cases were structured, I wasn't expecting this to veer off in its own direction as much as it did, but it was probably the right decision given how self-contained Kamuidrome was compared to Parade, which kind of needed the extra detail. Morishima continues to be a great protagonist, and not giving him more of his own plot rather than having him mill around on the sides of the events of Transmitter would have been a waste - that said, I still liked his scenes checking in with Kusabi. "
Fuck the internet
" is a simple but powerful eternal truth. (Speaking of which, the couple of "
kill yourself
" comments in this case's chat scenes added a layer of authenticity as well.)

As a sidenote, the constant use of 'for reals' is really beginning to stick out as a weird idiosyncrasy. It's not a particularly bad thing, necessarily, but it does kind of break the flow of the script. Does it seem forced to anyone else?

Also, of course the full moon is visible at 2PM in Sudaland.

cj_iwakura

After a considerable break, I went through AI.

Given how the prior Placebo cases were structured, I wasn't expecting this to veer off in its own direction as much as it did, but it was probably the right decision given how self-contained Kamuidrome was compared to Parade, which kind of needed the extra detail. Morishima continues to be a great protagonist, and not giving him more of his own plot rather than having him mill around on the sides of the events of Transmitter would have been a waste - that said, I still liked his scenes checking in with Kusabi. "
Fuck the internet
" is a simple but powerful eternal truth. (Speaking of which, the couple of "
kill yourself
" comments in this case's chat scenes added a layer of authenticity as well.)

As a sidenote, the constant use of 'for reals' is really beginning to stick out as a weird idiosyncrasy. It's not a particularly bad thing, necessarily, but it does kind of break the flow of the script. Does it seem forced to anyone else?

Also, of course the full moon is visible at 2PM in Sudaland.

I think the use of 'Ai' is a clever double entendre, since it means 'Love' from Japanese and, of course, 'A.I.'.

WarRock

Game crashed while I was reading factoids about carnivore plants. Actually a great simulation of trying to navigate the internet during 1999.

WarRock

how can the soundtrack be so good

Love how Tokio goes from "I can't get my hirer mad" to "You fucking annoying piece of shit" in the span of two or three days.

Kusabi and Sumio never fail to entertain either: "Are you falling in love with a serial killer? Are you fucking stupid?" "Well, yeah." It's actually impressive how much everyone in the HC Unit is a... not kind person, to say the least.

Hope the fact that multiple people
seem to remember the MC's face from somewhere but can't pinpoint it
is related to the bigger plot.

cj_iwakura

Decided to grab some PS1 screens, from Hikari(Placebo #5) and the post-game.

Tempted to go back and find that notorious puzzle that got neutered or removed completely(can't recall which).

Being out of the gaming scene, and waiting almost 10 years for this release, I can't believe I missed this anouncement.
I'm ready to put aside sleep this weekend to finally play through this

How is the translation? What does this mean for a new FSR port and SC WARD 25?

cj_iwakura

Being out of the gaming scene, and waiting almost 10 years for this release, I can't believe I missed this anouncement.
I'm ready to put aside sleep this weekend to finally play through this

How is the translation? What does this mean for a new FSR port and SC WARD 25?

Fantastic, and it depends on how well this does.

Been replaying FSR, and boy connections are all over the place. Sayaka Baian was in the film referenced in the guide, and Tokio Morishima writes a diary near the end.

Siliconera posted an interview with Suda and Masahi Ooka. http://www.siliconera.com/2016/11/09/suda-ooka-weigh-return-silver-case/
Spoilers in Ooka's section.
As one of your earlier games, The Silver Case is a more subdued game than the explosive, action-packed fare your often make now. How did your development style evolve over the years into the developer you are today?

Goichi Suda, Director of The Silver Case
– That is the result of the accumulation of technique, size and history of our team. At the time of The Silver Case, the team size was much smaller, and the writing was what shaped the game play. So, because we didn’t have a staff member who could render blood showers, I was required to write a shower of text.

Golnei

Forgive me for not going into the spoiler thread right away; since I haven't finished off Placebo yet I hope it's okay to post Lifecut impressions here.

Firstly, Morishima's Transmitter portrait and artwork will never not look weird to me after spending so much more time with the Placebo appearance. He almost looks like Vergil; it's much more of a 'designed' look than the more naturalistic Placebo incarnation. And the
live action portrayal
is something else entirely as well. Having these radically different visual interpretations of the same character in the game is an interesting choice, the original game's wildly different Parade artwork would have driven in that contrast further. I guess it's part of what the game's design philosophy represents, with its melding of disparate media and presentation elements.

Anyway, as for the case itself, the conscious sense of gravity and very deliberate pacing can be felt strongly throughout the entire thing. This is evident as early as the initial brisk run through the tower, going through the cast's familiar faces one last time long enough to set in a feeling of resolution but quickly enough to make sure the underlying feeling of panic remains. The
abyss beneath Mulholland
, the long, slow passages beneath the tunnels and the lingering shots of the train all work to build a similar sense of foreboding and finality as you descend and descend - the moment
"Transmitter" appears as the location text
is a lot more impactful because of that.

However, there was one point that pacing kind of fell down - the sequence where you look for the
TRUMP members' bodies in the towers
. Apart from echoing the
exploration of the shelters in Decoyman (an even more appropriate title given the events of this chapter)
; it doesn't really justify itself from a dramatic perspective. It's lengthy and monotonous with no real payoff or atmosphere, the
sketch of the next faceless TRUMP member with a bullet in their brain
is a predictable and weightless revelation. The files you can read throughout the sequence also suffer from having too much filler, and can't really exist as a motivation to explore on their own, unlike the ones placed in the school in Killer7.

Speaking of which, it didn't occur to me until now, but the Munakata/Kusabi dynamic is very reminiscent of Garcian and Mills' scenes (I actually typed up that observation
immediately before he (almost) got shot (the first time)
, which was an amusing coincidence).

The actual climax with
(C?)assius, Mother Brain and the janky 3D model of the possible audience stand-in
is something I'll have to think about - I assume the corresponding Placebo case is going to go into more detail given Morishima's heavy presence in the Transmitter side of things, am I supposed to do Hikari or Danwa next?

Also, I did find it funny in the context of Suda's later work that he ostentatiously avoided using a 51 pun in the opening sequence, with how prominently the 52nd floor was highlighted. And as one last thing, aside from the obvious TRUMP jokes; I feel like a couple of statements referring to Kamui in the initial news report could be taken to refer to current events...

cj_iwakura

Siliconera posted an interview with Suda and Masahi Ooka. http://www.siliconera.com/2016/11/09/suda-ooka-weigh-return-silver-case/
Spoilers in Ooka's section.

Great interview.

Replaying FSR, and a ton of references so far...

-One of the last things in the guidebook is an interview with 'Taro Turtle'(actually Tokio Morishima, the dialogue makes it obvious).
-Sayaka Baian is listed as the star of 'A Front Line in Louisiana!'.
-Sayaka's death is referenced in the interview.
-An interview with an architect of the 24 Wards is in the guidebook.
-Yayoi Tachibana's ringtone is a remix of TSC's theme.

Working through Parade at the moment

The New Order song references at the end of every case brings a smile to my face.

Does the later parts of the games give in clues exactly whats with the creepy music in Akira's apartment or the scary bruised flashes he sees of himself?

cj_iwakura

Working through Parade at the moment

The New Order song references at the end of every case brings a smile to my face.

Does the later parts of the games give in clues exactly whats with the creepy music in Akira's apartment or the scary bruised flashes he sees of himself?

Not really, you can draw conclusions though.

WarRock

Going through Parade too. PROJECTS TOMATOES made me laugh.

I'm really enjoying the Placebo episodes. Tokio is amazing.

cj_iwakura

No one else down for a replay of FSR? I'm enjoying it a lot so far. On Air in G #2. Also, finished a rough draft of my HG101 article on the game if anyone's interested.

WarRock

Ok, finished up Parade (way shorter than I expected!) and Tsuki.
I quickly deducted that Sumio was one of the three boys/heroes... but then I got the info about their disabilities and brushed off the possibility. Sumio clearly wasn't blind, deaf or mute, right?
And then it hit me. Holy...

I feel like I'm still missing something about him and Kusabi during Parade though. Will probably go through it again later.

And after this revelation, I CERTAINLY have to play FSR. Slowly. Damn.

cj_iwakura

Ok, finished up Parade (way shorter than I expected!) and Tsuki.
I quickly deducted that Sumio was one of the three boys/heroes... but then I got the info about their disabilities and brushed off the possibility. Sumio clearly wasn't blind, deaf or mute, right?
And then it hit me. Holy...

I feel like I'm still missing something about him and Kusabi during Parade though. Will probably go through it again later.

And after this revelation, I CERTAINLY have to play FSR. Slowly. Damn.

Well the epilogue
was when they first met.
There's a little more to come, though.

About Sumio and Parade
Were there any signs prior to Parade of Sumio's disability? How does he communicate with Kusabi and the rest of the HC unit? Some sort of hearing aid? I gather the devices specifically made for him mentioned were for phonecalls/communicators/etc

Also Kamuidrome. Goddamn it Suda. What the fuck was all that once the "lovers" unite. Heres hoping AI makes some sense of it.

EDIT: Finished. Lifecut onward was a info dump of revelations that overwhelming on top of the weird shit happening. My immediate questions (ending spoilers) are:

Who was speaking to Tokio in the bar, and who was the person he saw in the light at the end?
Why did Kusabi kill head of police Kotobuki (i assume it was due to Kusabi realising they were pawns in the grand scheme of things)?
Am I correct that the Mayor + Nezu originally envisioned a perfect city using the shelter policy to craft the inhabitants of that paradise. But at some point Nezu got bored and threw the wild card Kamui into the mix which causes all of these events to happen?

No one else down for a replay of FSR? I'm enjoying it a lot so far. On Air in G #2. Also, finished a rough draft of my HG101 article on the game if anyone's interested.
Playing FSR back years ago felt incomplete with the amount of TSC references thrown at you. I'll be jumping on that next to absorb everything now knowing the context.

WarRock

About Sumio and Parade
Were there any signs prior to Parade of Sumio's disability? How does he communicate with Kusabi and the rest of the HC unit? Some sort of hearing aid? I gather the devices specifically made for him mentioned were for phonecalls/communicators/etc
Lipreading.
Kusabi even comments on it in one of the earlier cases, though I don't remember which one.

WarRock

^Yeah, I saw it mentioned! Love stuff like that.

So, I just finished Ai, after finishing KamuiDrone yesterday. You see, KamuiDrone goes to some weird places at the ending but it's easy to follow, even if I didn't understand shit about what the couple did (or what happened with the missing girl).

But, man. Ai. Ai is creeping me out. It didn't help me to understand KamuiDrone, but it was such a fucking ride. I'm connecting some dots at the same time I'm at edge of my seat with all the shit going down with Tokio. Couple of questions:

Who was the girl he called at the start of Ai? She... was never mentioned, before or after that. Is she supposed to be
Slash
? On the same hand, the email he gets from Yuu right at the start, does it have any plot relevance? Was it
some sort of trap to make him go to the club?

And
was The Bat really Enzawa? So he was keeping tabs both on the MC and Tokio. I'm sorta doubting that is all thanks to those kinda 4th wall breaking mails The Bat sent to the MC.

Been chipping away at The Silver Case and finally got through some of Kamuidrome.
Man Chizuru is harsh

Parade and the corresponding placebo chapter had me speechless throughout.
Was that a blow up doll during the kidnapping video?

WarRock

Lifecut is completed and I feel like I need a loooooooooong break from everything.

Firstly, Morishima's Transmitter portrait and artwork will never not look weird to me after spending so much more time with the Placebo appearance. He almost looks like Vergil; it's much more of a 'designed' look than the more naturalistic Placebo incarnation. And the
live action portrayal
is something else entirely as well. Having these radically different visual interpretations of the same character in the game is an interesting choice, the original game's wildly different Parade artwork would have driven in that contrast further. I guess it's part of what the game's design philosophy represents, with its melding of disparate media and presentation elements.

Anyway, as for the case itself, the conscious sense of gravity and very deliberate pacing can be felt strongly throughout the entire thing. This is evident as early as the initial brisk run through the tower, going through the cast's familiar faces one last time long enough to set in a feeling of resolution but quickly enough to make sure the underlying feeling of panic remains. The
abyss beneath Mulholland
, the long, slow passages beneath the tunnels and the lingering shots of the train all work to build a similar sense of foreboding and finality as you descend and descend - the moment
"Transmitter" appears as the location text
is a lot more impactful because of that.

However, there was one point that pacing kind of fell down - the sequence where you look for the
TRUMP members' bodies in the towers
. Apart from echoing the
exploration of the shelters in Decoyman (an even more appropriate title given the events of this chapter)
; it doesn't really justify itself from a dramatic perspective. It's lengthy and monotonous with no real payoff or atmosphere, the
sketch of the next faceless TRUMP member with a bullet in their brain
is a predictable and weightless revelation. The files you can read throughout the sequence also suffer from having too much filler, and can't really exist as a motivation to explore on their own, unlike the ones placed in the school in Killer7.
Agreed with all of this. The pacing was really amazing until the lengthy and predictable exploration "puzzle" of the Triangle Towers.

I hope I get them retroactively...
I didn't. And going through Lifecut I only got one.

WarRock

Nice.

I thought the epilogue was going to be a whole chapter and didn't go through it yesterday, but it's less than two minutes long lol. So, now I'm finished!

Man, what a ride. I am still not sure about what happened during Kamuidrone and about some issues here and there at the end, but it's not hard to understand the overall plot as long as you pay attention and go through Placebo side by side with Transmitter.

About the epilogue:
So, Format Kamui was or wasn't a hitman? What Tetsuo meant with "the old men killed Kamui and I killed the old men"?
They keep throwing surprise jabs at you and the whole "the truth isn't important, the facts are"/"you can understand without understanding" statements make me go aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Top Bottom