• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

Shtof

Was at a local tech/gaming store today, Skylanders was basically 1/4 of the gaming section and a few kids were hanging around looking at the figurines, screaming at each other and their parents. The parents looked rather sad btw, like they knew their wallet was gonna get its ass kicked.

Edit: Btw, have no other companies copied this yet? It's about time, EA.

BearPawB

Banned
Yep. Was the deal of the day on Oct. 16.
Regular price is $70, don't know about the $100.

It definitely was not on sale yesterday.

70 bucks, and i wanted 2 character packs because i want to have at least one of each type ?
That put me at around 110

Sora_N

My coworker at TRU said our store got like 200+ boxes and told me not to worry. Gonna go there at opening, gonna be an expensive weekend lol

Syriel

Wonder if I'll have problems getting a copy without a pre-order.

Getting a copy of a Starter Pack probably won't be a problem.

Getting a specific fig may be a problem depending on who ends up being popular.

Personally, I've settled on Chill as my character of choice. Her basic attacks make a great combo as the ice wall can both damage an enemy or be used as a makeshift piece of cover.

She's a little slow to start out with, but after running some heroics you can get her speed up.

Plus, the toy just looks really cool.

Ken

Getting a copy of a Starter Pack probably won't be a problem.

Getting a specific fig may be a problem depending on who ends up being popular.

Personally, I've settled on Chill as my character of choice. Her basic attacks make a great combo as the ice wall can both damage an enemy or be used as a makeshift piece of cover.

She's a little slow to start out with, but after running some heroics you can get her speed up.

Plus, the toy just looks really cool.

We already have a portal thing so I just need the...Portal Owner's Pack or whatever. Not really sure about the figure thing since the game's not for me.

So some of the new figures aren't giants? Just the same size as the ones from the first game?

Syriel

We already have a portal thing so I just need the...Portal Owner's Pack or whatever. Not really sure about the figure thing since the game's not for me.

So some of the new figures aren't giants? Just the same size as the ones from the first game?

Buy the Starter Pack regardless. It's only $15 more and for that $15 you get Jet-Vac (new char), Cynder (Series 2) and a USB portal. Even if you already have a portal, the $15 for the two figs is less than you'd pay to purchase those figs individually.

From any economic point of view the Portal Owner's Pack doesn't make sense.

New figs includes:

Giants = big, slow, strong
LightCore = Glow when on Portal, plus have special lightcore attack
New Skylanders = Normal size, totally new characters
Series 2 = Normal size, updated versions of original figs with a new Wow Pow power in game

Cost wise, Giants are the most expensive, LightCore a little less than the Giants and Series 2/New Skylanders being the cheapest.

Katzii

Was disappointed when I found out the Lightcores for the first series wouldn't work on the regular game, but my wallet is a little happier, as I'm not planning on replacing any of my figures.

Shame this means that most of the accolades won't happen this time around. The game blatantly wants people to re-purchase the figures and I just can't do that.

On the upside, both of my games came this morning, and I had my £10 Sainsbury's discount so all is right with the world.

Syriel

Was disappointed when I found out the Lightcores for the first series wouldn't work on the regular game, but my wallet is a little happier, as I'm not planning on replacing any of my figures.

Shame this means that most of the accolades won't happen this time around. The game blatantly wants people to re-purchase the figures and I just can't do that.

On the upside, both of my games came this morning, and I had my £10 Sainsbury's discount so all is right with the world.

What do you say that the "game blatantly wants people to re-purchase the figures?" I mean, there's obviously the collector side to things, especially with the poses of Series 2 figs and the Giants LightCores, but all of the figs from the first game work in Giants.

If you already have a large collection of figures from Spyro's Adventure you're good to go.

Katzii

What do you say that the "game blatantly wants people to re-purchase the figures?" I mean, there's obviously the collector side to things, especially with the poses of Series 2 figs and the Giants LightCores, but all of the figs from the first game work in Giants.

If you already have a large collection of figures from Spyro's Adventure you're good to go.

I mean it in the sense that if you put your Series 1 figures on the game, they don't count towards your total of Skylanders - I put all 37 of my original characters on the portal this morning, and it still says I only have seven Skylanders registered.

As I also mentioned, you cannot get all the Accolades without having all of the Series 2 characters, and they even make a point of telling you that you have Series 1 characters when you put them on the portal.

Speaking of repurchasing, I should have really researched this game better as both Pop Fizz and Chill have Lightcore versions :( I've only played a couple of levels each of the console and handheld versions, but I'm having a good time.

Do we know exactly which figures should be available tomorrow for wave 1?

If it's the same as the UK, new characters I was able to pick up were:

Giants

Swarm (Air Type)
Crusher (Rock Type)
Bouncer (Tech Type)

Skylanders
Pop Fizz (Magic Type, non-Lightcore)
Chill (Water type, non-Lightcore)
Fright Rider (Undead Type)

They also had a triple pack with Shroomboom and Series 2 Chop Chop (and a cannon piece which I think opens a battle arena).

For Lightcores, they had Prism Break, Drobot and Eruptor (none of which will work with the first game). Series 2 reposes had Slam Bam and Trigger Happy.

Triple pack-wise, there was Series 2 Whirlwind and Trigger Happy, along with Pop Fizz, and one with Series 2 Ignitor and Zook alongside Chill.

fernoca

Toys R Us will open at 8AM tomorrow also. Aside that and a 20% coupon they sent on an email (valid for an hour on eveyrthing but Skylanders or videogames).

Best Buy is giving gift bags to preorders, which include: a backpack, poster, clip, wristband and stickers.

Lan_97

Does anyone know if the adventure pack figures unlock anything in the 3DS game? I know for console versions it unlocks the same levels from the first game.

Katzii

Does anyone know if the adventure pack figures unlock anything in the 3DS game? I know for console versions it unlocks the same levels from the first game.

That answers that question then, although every time I put the pieces on my Portal, it didn't do anything for me.

I will try on the 3DS tomorrow and get back to you if I'm not beaten to the punch!

Syriel

I mean it in the sense that if you put your Series 1 figures on the game, they don't count towards your total of Skylanders - I put all 37 of my original characters on the portal this morning, and it still says I only have seven Skylanders registered.

As I also mentioned, you cannot get all the Accolades without having all of the Series 2 characters, and they even make a point of telling you that you have Series 1 characters when you put them on the portal.

That answers that question then, although every time I put the pieces on my Portal, it didn't do anything for me.

I will try on the 3DS tomorrow and get back to you if I'm not beaten to the punch!

Try changing ownership. ;)

Giants will identify Series 1 and Series 2 characters because the Series 2 chars have the extra Wow Pow. By default the collection shows all Series 1 chars with the exception of the new chars, so it should recognize the Series 1 figs.

Thing is, if a fig is currently registered to a save game it'll show up as a guest in yours. And guest figs don't show up in a collection unless you go into the menu and "take ownership."

Since my GF and I are both playing she registered all the figs to her save, then I started my game, took ownership and did the same.

My wife and I are going to marathon SL1 tomorrow and level up some of our lesser used characters.

We never got any of the expansion pack type stuff, is any of it good?

Sora_N

Speaking of repurchasing, I should have really researched this game better as both Pop Fizz and Chill have Lightcore versions :( I've only played a couple of levels each of the console and handheld versions, but I'm having a good time.

If it's the same as the UK, new characters I was able to pick up were:

Giants

Swarm (Air Type)
Crusher (Rock Type)
Bouncer (Tech Type)

Skylanders
Pop Fizz (Magic Type, non-Lightcore)
Chill (Water type, non-Lightcore)
Fright Rider (Undead Type)

They also had a triple pack with Shroomboom and Series 2 Chop Chop (and a cannon piece which I think opens a battle arena).

For Lightcores, they had Prism Break, Drobot and Eruptor (none of which will work with the first game). Series 2 reposes had Slam Bam and Trigger Happy.

Triple pack-wise, there was Series 2 Whirlwind and Trigger Happy, along with Pop Fizz, and one with Series 2 Ignitor and Zook alongside Chill.

Lightcores don't work with the old game? Dammit so I have to get a reposed non-LC Eruptor if I wanted it then for my old game. That kind of sucks.

Syriel

Lightcores don't work with the old game? Dammit so I have to get a reposed non-LC Eruptor if I wanted it then for my old game. That kind of sucks.

File this under "undetermined."

Officially, updated LightCores do not work with SA.

However, Dan Amrich (official Activision blogger) said that they do, it's just not marked as such on the box because the LightCore attacks don't work in SA.

I can't say for certain as I have Giants, but don't have SA. So, no way to test.

Zing

Banned
My Giants preorder shipped from best buy yesterday, and will arrive Monday. It doesn't really matter since I won't be opening it until Christmas.

Sora_N

However, Dan Amrich (official Activision blogger) said that they do, it's just not marked as such on the box because the LightCore attacks don't work in SA.

I can't say for certain as I have Giants, but don't have SA. So, no way to test.

That makes sense I guess, I wouldn't expect new characters to work but maybe the old ones do. We'll try tomorrow!

U2NUMB

Went and picked it up at midnight at my local wal mart. Upset they had ZERO 360 starter packs. The guy said he could not find it so I just bought and extra couple Giants.

So far the game is very slick.. much more polished than the first. The giants are beasts in the game. One thing I noticed right off the bat is how smooth the transition is to new skylanders. My game used to freeze a bit on the last one.

Anyways digging the game and sadly its just another massive money sink that I will not be able to hold myself back from. The giants really feel awesome and for 5 bucks more you get what seems like a much more impressive character.

Krabboss

All I want to know is whether you can skip cutscenes now. I haven't seen any reviews mention this and it was incredibly tedious that you couldn't in the original game.

Katzii

Hm... If that's the case, I might go and buy one LightCore and give it a try. I would love the LightCores, but I can't justify spending another £30+ on figures I can only use on the sequel game.

bodine1231

Hit up a few WalMarts and picked up just the new figures and the lightcores. I'm shocked by the small amount of new characters available at launch,you'd think Activision would pump these out like Pokemon. Even so,this shit adds up,200.00 just in whats pictured below and I still want the cannon pack. I want to play but I'm too tired,I'll take a nap and pick up the cannon pack at Gamestop in the morning.

C567DB36-C0DD-4023-B234-80165CB0BD6A-6401-00000CB71FD9BB29.jpg

U2NUMB

All I want to know is whether you can skip cutscenes now. I haven't seen any reviews mention this and it was incredibly tedious that you couldn't in the original game.

I do not believe so. Last night around 2am I was playing and attempted to skip some scenes and never could figure it out. I was super tired so I may have just not clicked.

Jesus. I just got to toys r us right when it opened at 10:00 am and there is a line up inside the store leading into the electronics section. I'm currently waiting in line and there are about 40 or 50 people ahead of me. It begins...

Supposedly Toys R Us gets Wave 2 figures TOMORROW but my TRU had them today, as I got 7 Wave 2 figures and my brother got 10.

Wave 2 I got were: Bash, Sonic Boom,, Double Trouble, Drill Sergeant, Stump Smash, Flameslinger and Flashwing.

The other Wave 2 my brother got (he got the last we could find) were: Sprocket, Gill Grunt and Hex.

Double D

So, anyone that's been out already this morning, has it been as crazy as expected? Is everything going to be sold out if I go now?

Not crazy for me in the slightest. I live in Louisville, KY, not a small city by any means.

No one at walmart for midnight release. No one at Target at 8am but me and there were 5 other people at TRU when my bro and I got there at 820.

I'm quite surprised, honestly, not complaining though.

stlobus

In Ann Arbor, MI, the Toys R Us had about 6 people lined up this morning, including my sister and me. They were extremely stocked, too, so I wouldn't be too concerned about nothing being left when you get there. Unfortunately, they only had the Wave 1 stuff out, none of the Wave 2 stuff for Giants, but what they did have they had a lot of it.

The game is great, too. My niece and I just played it for about 2 and a half hours before she needed a break for lunch. Can't wait to get back into it.

Started playing this with my son on friday.

We beat Chaos today.

He's a bit sad that it's already over (it did feel shorter than the first game, but I'm not sure) and that he "only" had time to pick up eight of the new characters (we have all the original characters) before we reached the end of this game.

mICfK.jpg

Started playing this with my son on friday.

We beat Chaos today.

He's a bit sad that it's already over (it did feel shorter than the first game, but I'm not sure) and that he "only" had time to pick up eight of the new characters (we have all the original characters) before we reached the end of this game.

Aren't there different difficulty levels now? I know my wife and I played the first one completely several times.

Aren't there different difficulty levels now? I know my wife and I played the first one completely several times.

Yeah, the game has three (easy, normal, hard) open from the beginning. We played it on normal.

I guess having all the characters from the first game makes it easier, in a way. It's not like we're running out on lives/characters, and they're all level 10 (and upgraded).

I don't think this will turn into the same kind of obsession (for him) as the first game did, even though there's still a lot of things to collect i Giants.

Lightcore versions of original series one figures do work on the original game. This has been verified for me by Mike Stout at Activision. The packaging says otherwise, probably to avoid confusion as they appear in game as the original series one character and the new character lightcores don't work at all.

Katzii

Lightcore versions of original series one figures do work on the original game. This has been verified for me by Mike Stout at Activision. The packaging says otherwise, probably to avoid confusion as they appear in game as the original series one character and the new character lightcores don't work at all.

Thanks for the confirmation... My wallet is crying now!

As for the Adventure Packs in the 3DS version, there is a room where you can open them up, but I haven't done so yet. So yes, there are Adventure Pack levels, no I don't know whether they are the same or not. Since the gameplay has changed a little, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a change... But being Activision, I wouldn't be surprised if they were identical.

Orca

So Ninjini isn't available yet? That was the giant my daughter wanted the most. I was really hoping they wouldn't do the same staged rollout this time.

Hale-XF11

I can't find a decent review of the 3DS version anywhere. I've only seen video footage of the first couple of levels, but not enough to convince me that the platforming is going to be as exciting or as challenging as it was in the first game. So far everything I've seen is pretty tame. I'm on the fence until I see more.

Top Bottom