• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Star Trek gifs thread (or why Mama Robotnik is full of awesome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to have a look through my post history as they are all uploaded to different photobucket accounts.

In the mean time, I know its outside the scope of the thread's title, but I want to show I can do more than Trek. Though Trek is awesome to work with.

eatiny1.gif

Mama Robotnik said:
Good lord, I've just seen this thread. If I were to post all the ones I have made, the bandwidth drain would cause, I am sure, a number of gaffers to hunt me down and dismember me.

As far as I'm aware, I'm the only one who has made Star Trek subtitled gifs. If there are others, then you can recognise mine as they all use the same bolded font, with a black outline. Also, the dominant person in the conversation is in white font, while the subordinate speaker is in grey.

I've made loads for both Off-Topic and the General Discussion forum. Some better than others. The Picard-Lily one is the first one I ever made, glad to see it still holds up.

I think I'll post one of my favourites, the Pachter gif. It holds a special place in my heart since Michael Pachter himself responded to it.

pachterq.gif

This one's new to me :lol

kay said:
Just wondering, what do you use to make them?

Also, post the Pachter response! (if it wasn't private)

Someone asked me this in PM recently, I'll just quote the advice I gave them:

Mama Robotnik said:
Thanks for the complement!

Its not too hard to make them.

Install GOM Player
Install Ulead GIF animator.

Play a video in GOM and press CTRL+E repeatedly to save the frames that you want to use. Import these images into Ulead and make subtitles using the text feature. Its a bit like stop-motion, see.

If you want to do it like I do, then you will need to progressively add text, so it appears while the characters speak. To do this efficiently, copy the sentence of text over all the frames it covers, then go back and delete the words so that they appear on screen roughly in sync with the speech.

To make the writing clear against all possible background colours, use the NEON tool in your text before copying with black, level 3 or 4 works well.

Optimise for size (usually along the lines of 96 colours, 40% differing), and save.

If you want to grab frames from a youtube video, use Fast Video Download extension for firefox to download the vid, then play it in GOM player, its the exact same procedure from then on.

You might not do this too fast first time, but with practice you speed up ridiculously.

Ulead has a free trial version if you want to have a go. Good luck, I very much look forward to seeing your work!

And for Pachter's response (proving that he is a real good sport):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312029&page=2

Its response number #85 on this page.

Mononofu

Mama Robotnik said:
I'll have to have a look through my post history as they are all uploaded to different photobucket accounts.

In the mean time, I know its outside the scope of the thread's title, but I want to show I can do more than Trek. Though Trek is awesome to work with.

eatiny1.gif

:lol

that e3 conferrence one is gold.

But one of my all time faves is still the Johnny Depp, banned! PERMABANNED! gif. Makes me absolutely crack up every time.

Mama Robotnik said:

eatiny1.gif

that's so awesome

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I have to admit, these are about the only widespread thing on GAF that make me chuckle, and I'm not even familiar with the context of any of the board-specific ones.

Linkzg said:
http://i36.tinypic.com/4v5z54.gif
by Crushed

It is resized, which does kill part of the joke, but the original is here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/MastahCrushed/mamarobotnikwtf.gif

Superb.

Though, from my time on GAF it seems like the majority of posters like my gifs (at least, that's the intepretation I make from the responses I get), I can appreciate not everyone does. Though Crushed and his friends would like me to stop, until a moderator informs me to, or most of my responses tell me I'm not delivering the funny anymore, I don't think I'm going to stop.

I'm sorry if this news is not what you wanted to hear. As a suggestion, if you block any photobucket accounts with the word "mappster" in the URL, then you will no longer have to see my gifs. Alternatively feel free to place me on ignore.

I am highly amused by the method in which Crushed tried to deliver his message, complemented even! Well played.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mama Robotnik said:
Superb.

Though, from my time on GAF it seems like the majority of posters like my gifs (at least, that's the intepretation I make from the responses I get), I can appreciate not everyone does. Though Crushed and his friends would like me to stop, until a moderator informs me to, or most of my responses tell me I'm not delivering the funny anymore, I don't think I'm going to stop.

I'm sorry if this news is not what you wanted to hear. As a suggestion, if you block any photobucket accounts with the word "mappster" in the URL, then you will no longer have to see my gifs. Alternatively feel free to place me on ignore.

I am highly amused by the method in which Crushed tried to deliver his message, complemented even! Well played.
oh come now sir, Crushed is by far the most sarcastic and humoring poster that GAF has ever seen. anyone who takes his shit seriously is doing it wrong. yes, he is an intelligent poster when he's serious, but if he uses gifs, it's always really for the lulz. your gifs are pretty awesome, but do you REALLY need to defend them from the forum jester?

Crushed defense force GO!

Mama Robotnik said:
Superb.

Personally I don't have a big issue with them outside of the large file sizes made worse by the dozens that quote them. I can't say they are bad since I have never watched Star Trek before. I did think the BTTF one was pretty amusing (largely because it's my favorite movie series).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Mama Robotnik said:

eatiny1.gif

you are so full of awesome..

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The first page increases my browser usage to over 500 mb. Surprisingly it doesn't crash, it just slows everything else done to an impossible crawl.

Blackhead

Redarse
SpeedingUptoStop said:
The first page increases my browser usage to over 500 mb. Surprisingly it doesn't crash, it just slows everything else done to an impossible crawl.

Chrome to the rescue!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
:lol :lol :lol

More BSG ones please! Although I'm not sure how much steam the story (EA/buyouts etc.) has.

Mama Robotnik said:

eatiny1.gif

Thats beyond awesome. But TNG gifs are still the best.

JayDubya

Banned
This thread is browser death. For fuck's sake, don't quote gifs only to add :lol 's.

Makes it nigh impossible to actually see the funny.

Again, thanks for the nice comments (and a very complimentary thread title change!), I'm glad you guys enjoy them.

Most of the Trek ones have been posted now, I think. This is my only (so far) DS9 one, produced at the height of the PS2 waggle rumours...

siskogaf.gif

Spot the episode! (Its an awesome one)

And a non-trek one, made during this years E3.

newmontywii.gif

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Great googly moogly does IE suck at handling GIFs. The browser is choking on this page.

Don't have Firefox @ work. :(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Crushed is just hating because he's banned and he's not the one posting gifs anymore.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
WrikaWrek said:
:lol

Goddamn man. Do you have like the entire seasons on your HDD, it's impressive.

when he starts shaking to the words waggle is when I lose it everytime

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mama Robotnik said:
Again, thanks for the nice comments (and a very complimentary thread title change!), I'm glad you guys enjoy them.

Most of the Trek ones have been posted now, I think. This is my only (so far) DS9 one, produced at the height of the PS2 waggle rumours...

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/mappster15/siskogaf.gif

I have moral objections to the Sisko being used to represent Sony, or anyone. He is The Sisko.

I feel like such a geek though that I can ID just about every episode you use in your .gifs.

In the Pale Moonlight
Redemption
Nemesis (movie)
Generations (movie)
First Contact (movie)
The First Duty
Redemption (part II)
The Nagus
Qpid (maybe True Q)

And is the Battlestar Galactica one from "33"?

Again, I'm glad you are all enjoying them.

DrForester said:
I have moral objections to the Sisko being used to represent Sony, or anyone. He is The Sisko.

I feel like such a geek thought hat I can ID just about every episode you use in your .gifs.

In the Pale Moonlight
Redemption
Nemesis (movie)
Generations (movie)
First Contact (movie)
The First Duty
Redemption (part II)
The Nagus
Qpid (maybe True Q)

And is the Battlestar Galactica one from "33"?

10 out of 10! Bravo. Okay, can you work out where the scenes in this GIF came from?

Context - Originally posted in the NPD thread that was released during E3 week, in which the forum's bandwidth was being pushed to its very limits...

npde3gaf.gif

Mashing

That's one where they're stuck in the loop of death (the name of the episode escapes me at the moment, but it's fucking awesome episode).

I could be wrong though, I don't remember a small ship in that episode.

Mashing said:
That's one where they're stuck in the loop of death (the name of the episode escapes me at the moment, but it's fucking awesome episode).

I was hoping someone would say that! Because that's the one everyone says.

And its not from that episode, even though it really looks like it.

And you're right, Cause and Effect is an ace episode!

fallengorn said:
We need more DS9! No Garak love?

As much as I love Garak (who doesn't)....

If I'm using Trek as a (laughably imprecise) metaphor for the Games Industry and Neogaf, with:

Neogaf = Enterprise
MS = Klingons
Sony = Romulans
Nintendo = Ferengi

Etc, then who in Gaming is truly awesome enough to be this man?

garakfinal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom