• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Star Trek gifs thread (or why Mama Robotnik is full of awesome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mama Robotnik said:
Again, I'm glad you are all enjoying them.

10 out of 10! Bravo. Okay, can you work out where the scenes in this GIF came from?

Context - Originally posted in the NPD thread that was released during E3 week, in which the forum's bandwidth was being pushed to its very limits...

npde3gaf.gif

Yeah I think I mentioned in an earlier thread when you first posted that that I feel like a geek for knowing that's not the Enterprise getting destroyed. That was a Deep Space Nine episode called "The Jem'Hadar", and was a really cool scene.

EDIT: :lol :lol I just noticed it looks like Data punches Troi right in the mouth right after the text goes to day 2.

Grimlock

Mama Robotnik said:
As much as I love Garak (who doesn't)....

If I'm using Trek as a (laughably imprecise) metaphor for the Games Industry and Neogaf, with:

Neogaf = Enterprise
MS = Klingons
Sony = Romulans
Nintendo = Ferengi

Etc, then who in Gaming is truly awesome enough to be this man?

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr113/mappster79/garakfinal.jpg

If I had to name an gaming figure most like him, off the top of my head I'd say Itagki.
-intelligent
-insightful
-can say the damnedest thing out of the blue
-has a bit of menace about him
-used to be against the Federation (Neo-Gaf) in the past, but our interests are more parallel, I'd say.

Heck, if we treat the Dominion as the casual-gaming movement, you'd could start making gifs out of the last couple of seasons of DS9 as Garak joined the rest of the cast in the campaigning against the Dominion (as, say, hardcore gamers against the casuals threatening to completely overwhelm the gaming scene), as Itagki has said that he doesn't want to make easy games, but good challenging ones.

Linkzg said:
Personally I don't have a big issue with them outside of the large file sizes made worse by the dozens that quote them. I can't say they are bad since I have never watched Star Trek before. I did think the BTTF one was pretty amusing (largely because it's my favorite movie series).

Please post this.

DrForester said:
Yeah I think I mentioned in an earlier thread when you first posted that that I feel like a geek for knowing that's not the Enterprise getting destroyed. That was a Deep Space Nine episode called "The Jem'Hadar", and was a really cool scene.

I remember this happening, but I didn't realise it was you who spotted that earlier! Damn, I was trying to catch someone out and you had to be here again, and correct again.

Grimlock said:
If I had to name an gaming figure most like him, off the top of my head I'd say Itagki.
-intelligent
-insightful
-can say the damnedest thing out of the blue
-has a bit of menace about him
-used to be against the Federation (Neo-Gaf) in the past, but our interests are more parallel, I'd say.

Heck, if we treat the Dominion as the casual-gaming movement, you'd could start making gifs out of the last couple of seasons of DS9 as Garak joined the rest of the cast in the campaigning against the Dominion (as, say, hardcore gamers against the casuals threatening to completely overwhelm the gaming scene), as Itagki has said that he doesn't want to make easy games, but good challenging ones.

An interesting intepretation for Garak, not one I had considered. Hmmm... That's very good actually. I'll have to think about that.

echoshifting said:
Anyone save the gif from this thread? I remember it being pretty fucking great and it popped up in a place where many probably missed it.

gaflegsfinal.gif

I'll sort out the BTTF one when I get back.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Mama Robotnik said:
As much as I love Garak (who doesn't)....

If I'm using Trek as a (laughably imprecise) metaphor for the Games Industry and Neogaf, with:

Neogaf = Enterprise
MS = Klingons
Sony = Romulans
Nintendo = Ferengi

Etc, then who in Gaming is truly awesome enough to be this man?
Is EA the Dominion or the Borg in the Mama Robotnik-verse?

fallengorn said:
Is EA the Dominion or the Borg in the Mama Robotnik-verse?

Not the Borg.

neogaf4chan.gif

I was toying with EA as the Domionion though. Because if EA want to work with you (as they do with Valve) then send in the happy, smiley Vorta (PR People).

If they want your company, then they use force. The Jemhadar, and armadas of ships (buyouts).

Unless anyone else has a better suggestion? Seriously, there are people who probably know more Trek than me, and analogies are fun!

Nander

I've no idea why I decided to go into this thread when my work computer has problems coping with ONE of Mama Robotnik's (awesome) GIFs....

Oooo love the new one, "Not the borg".

Just watched that episode too, having it fresh in memory makes it better.

Question though, which app do you use to rip the pics from the videos?

jakershaker said:
Oooo love the new one, "Not the borg".

Just watched that episode too, having it fresh in memory makes it better.

Question though, which app do you use to rip the pics from the videos?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12750186&postcount=54 - This pretty mych details the entire process I go through. I use GOM Player to grab the images.

And as promised. The BTTF Gif. The context is this: Below is a post I made describing my feelings towards Spiderman 3. SRG01 dared me to make it into a gif, and I complied.

Mama Robotnik said:
I make no apologies for agreeing with the GAF majority on this one.

Spiderman 3 managed to do the impossible for me. It managed to achieve what no other film has ever done, in my eyes.

Its shittyness, its appallingness, its turdacular nature, managed to transcend the normal rules of space and time, and travel backwards through the timeline. It managed to make both Spiderman and Spiderman 2 unwatchable. I cannot watch them, for the corrosive effect of Spiderman 3 has transcended linear time to make them all awful.

It is the worst movie I have ever seen. In the Cinema, during the ordeal, I wished to pull my eyes out of their sockets and stuff them in my ears, to protect as many of my senses from its waves of its magnificent shit.

SRG01 said:
You should totally make a gif to give a visual edge to your disgust. :D

spiderman356k.gif

SRG01

Glad you guys like em. Here's another rare one, posted in a massive fast-moving thread.

Context: This post in the Official SQUARE ENIX presents DKΣ3713 Private Party 2008 Thread.

The pre-party hype was reaching horrific levels, hope and prayers for megatons were drowning out the thread.

Psychotext said:
I hope to awake to GAF forum error pages after an 8 hour fanboy war and total server meltdown over some announcement. :D

Mama Robotnik said:

joetachi

cloudwalking said:
sorry, but jarosh is still the best gif-maker. and his gifs don't bring my browser to its fucking knees.
Nobody said anything about jarosh or about mama being the best gif maker.

JayDubya

Banned
Well, at least on the second page we don't have a bazillion quotes of gifs.

The gifs are awesome, but I've gotta think that having each one reappear 5 times takes up more system resources just to view the page.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
cloudwalking said:
sorry, but jarosh is still the best gif-maker. and his gifs don't bring my browser to its fucking knees.
stfukirby3.jpg

zoku88

I love it how 2/3 links on his tag have exceeding their bandwidth :lol :lol

That last one was pretty cool, too..

"It's amazing he not RROD'd"

There is a sweet fucking star trek gif I have been trying to find....

Its an "in before the lock" of a guy sliding under a closing door. Anyone?

zoku88

BakedPigeon said:

I think that was actually in this thread already.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BakedPigeon said:

right on the front page.

6wying4.gif

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Mama, do you have all the episodes memorized or something? How long does it usually take you to find an appropriate scene for a situation?

DrForester said:
I find religious threads to be pretty much the opposite of that.

Heh well don't hate on my first try :lol

Mostly tried to convey the 'oh shit' nature of most threads touching the subject of religion. And people going into meltdown mode over stuff like that. Also a bit of faith vs evidence and literal interpretation.

Second try, no text this time, just Picard getting annoyed at the internet.

startrekgirldthread.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom