• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

I did as well. I'm rusty as hell, but I managed to kill the Cleric Beast on my second try.

I went with the Axe since it's the only starter I never used.

Axe is too powerful lol.

I have yet to try many of the 'weirder' weapons like Reiterpallasch and so on, so maybe this has to happen this time around.

Just bought this in the PSN sale for £12.99 after being tempted so many times but put off by not liking Dark Souls. I found the opening tricky and torturous at first but loved the atmosphere and setting (big Lovecraft fan) so persevered.

After a lot of:

YOU DIED
YOU DIED
YOU DIED....

I found out how to level up along with my first shortcut gate. Holy Crap am I glad I stuck with it. I get it now, I love it, the shortcuts, the exploration, taking down a boss single handed, even the grinding (if you choose to do it).

The opening section would now seems like it would be pretty easy if I started again and not because I could level, just because the mechanics of the game start making sense. It stops feeling sluggish once you know what you're doing a bit. Every time I play I feel I learn something else, progress a little more, find something new.

Now when I'm greeted with the message YOU DIED, I know it's because I wasn't prepared, over stretched or just cocked up and it even puts a smile on my face.

Advice to anyone is to stick with it and play in a style that feels right to you.

Love it...and Hello GAF, first post .
Yep, exactly how it went for me.

Welcome!

Gattsu25

Banned
So I managed to find she shortcut, managed to get the insight and beat the two werewolves and now I'm completly out of Blood Vials after dying to the boss 3 times lol. That thing always sweeps in the direction I'm trying to dodge in and i have no clue how I can "aim for it's head" with my gun or cocktails how it's advised online. How the hell can I aim any of this? Also arew the souls i lost in the fight gone when I return to hunters dream?
Yeah, getting blood vials can be annoying for some. I would ALWAYS recommend buying them at the Hunter's Dream over trying to farm them from enemy drops. It's much faster that way.

Also, don't follow guides for bosses too religiously. Find your playstyle.

For me, I never lock onto the Cleric Beast and I use that fight to practice aiming my swings. I focus down on each of its limbs until I get a mini-stagger as it's a good skill to have.

Regarding the blood echos you drop when you die, it works exactly like the souls in the Souls games. They remain until either you die again or you pick them up. Only now they have the option of sometimes 'entering' into nearby normal enemies who you have to kill before regaining them. Not bosses, tho. You can pick up your echos from the boss arena and then use a Bold Hunter's Mark to return to a lantern with your echos in tact.

That's the other thing with me and these games, I never care to recover dropped souls/echos after I die. If they drop in a boss arena then I consider them lost until I defeat the boss.

I also never heal in a boss fight (in this or any of the Souls games) until I have the boss down to 50% health.

Afrocious

That's the other thing with me and these games, I never care to recover dropped souls/echos after I die. If they drop in a boss arena then I consider them lost until I defeat the boss.

Nah, couldn't do that. I don't bum rush to my bloodstain but if I can get the boss in the right position, I'll grab it. I basically stockpile a ton of souls as an added bonus for when I beat the boss.

I also never heal in a boss fight (in this or any of the Souls games) until I have the boss down to 50% health.

Hmmmm. That's not a bad idea.

I have yet to try many of the 'weirder' weapons like Reiterpallasch and so on, so maybe this has to happen this time around.

My arcane run was pretty interesting. Bloodtinge build was fun.

Mihos

Gold Member
The only change I had a little bit of trouble with going to blood born from the souls games, is that I played Souls very defensively where in BB it pays to be the aggressor in most situations. Also, in Souls I would try to split the enemies or try to pull a single. Bloodborne it was OK to take on more than one at one, but there is a mental switch you have to turn off after being conditioned for so long on the previous games.

I prefer the souls games over BB, primarily because I like being a more defensive fighter vs being the aggressor. BB combat is faster also, which I preferred the slower, more deliberate actions in Souls.

laxu

I feel like many of them require you to start getting pretty specific with your build (investing in bloodtinge or arcane) and trawling the chalice dungeons becomes necessary for good enough gems as most of the ones in main game are physical attack up types. I tried doing an arcane build and am now rocking weapons that have arcane scaling but I still feel like I get better investments out of physical damage even to weapons that have arcane scaling.

I really don't want to do the chalice dungeons with this character so once I've completed the game and DLC with it I'll try my other characters that have high stats and tons of gems and see if I can build some OP arcane or bloodtinge build.

Logarius Wheel is pretty fun though.

I did actually invest heavily in Arcane last time around but mainly for all the cool usable "magic" toys actually, many of which are very fun albeit most likely not the strongest option.

laxu

I did as well. I'm rusty as hell, but I managed to kill the Cleric Beast on my second try.

I went with the Axe since it's the only starter I never used.

Axe is too powerful lol.

Axe is good but it doesn't have any damage bonuses against specific enemy types. Saw cleaver has Serrated bonus and Threaded Cane has Righteous in cane form and Serrated in whip mode. Basically Serrated applies 20% bonus against enemies regarded as beasts which is a fair number in early game. Righteous is the same but I don't know exactly which enemies are weak to that.

Yup started another play through.. Went with the axe this time.

But I can see where the OP had trouble had trouble in the beginning. Knowing how fast you can die with so many enemies.. It can be daunting and intimidating.

Once you get through it though.. I've never had a problem since. Gotta just take it slow and one section at a time.. And don't go head on at mobs

Hobbes211

I don't understand why people are telling you to run past these enemies. BB was the very first game in these series I ever played and I managed just fine. You need to time your pulls appropriately and learn when to use sweeping attacks vs groups or single out enemies. There's literally no reason to run past these enemies when the area is designed to force you to learn the mechanics. It's not Dark Souls. You'll have to time your gun shots to stun and you'll have to dodge.

Afrocious

Axe is good but it doesn't have any damage bonuses against specific enemy types. Saw cleaver has Serrated bonus and Threaded Cane has Righteous in cane form and Serrated in whip mode. Basically Serrated applies 20% bonus against enemies regarded as beasts which is a fair number in early game. Righteous is the same but I don't know exactly which enemies are weak to that.

Might be Kin. IIRC, aren't there only two modifiers specific to the enemies you fight?

Melchiah

Might be Kin. IIRC, aren't there only two modifiers specific to the enemies you fight?

The righteous damage doesn't affect Kin, only few enemies like those in Cainhurst.

http://bloodborne.wikia.com/wiki/Righteous
Righteous is a hidden weapon attribute which deals varying amounts of bonus damage to "enemies of the Healing Church".

This damage is applied before bonuses such as the open foe bonus for a multiplicative effect. As a general rule, the enemies in Forsaken Cainhurst Castle are weak to Righteous damage.

Weapons that deal Righteous damage
Church Pick- 20% bonus (both modes)
Holy Moonlight Sword- 50% bonus (both modes)
Kirkhammer- 50% bonus (sword mode only)
Ludwig's Holy Blade- 50% bonus (both modes)
Logarius' Wheel- 30% bonus (both modes)
Threaded Cane- 20% bonus (cane mode only)

Enemies weak to Righteous damage
Bloodlicker
Bound Widow
Evil Labyrinth Spirit
Lost Child of Antiquity

Afrocious

^That's actually pretty awesome to know. I never thought about the enemies in the castle as their own subtype. It makes sense lore-wise too.

Symbiotx

Not gonna lie, I almost gave up on this game until I found out you can level up once you find the cleric beast. I think there needs to be some way to know this for new players, but I get that that kind of goes against what this game is about. Once I got over that hurdle I was able to farm levels and get to where I felt comfortable moving on.

Melchiah

^That's actually pretty awesome to know. I never thought about the enemies in the castle as their own subtype. It makes sense lore-wise too.

It's cool lore-wise, but it's odd that so many weapons have the damage bonus, when there are so few enemies affected by it.

Good to read you've reached the boss OP.

To get some easy vials, instead of running into the dark house from the new shortcut, go left and there are 2 big guys there. Practice your parry on them, ever kill should give you a decent amount of money and 2 blood vials.

theRizzle

I have read this entire thread and I still find it so difficult to parse that OP played Dark Souls THREE times, and "even NG++" and yet is struggling this much with Bloodborne? I don't think OP is lying or anything but like... how

Wamb0wneD

Good to read you've reached the boss OP.

To get some easy vials, instead of running into the dark house from the new shortcut, go left and there are 2 big guys there. Practice your parry on them, ever kill should give you a decent amount of money and 2 blood vials.

Already found them yeah. I still need practice because I get killed by these as well sometimes when I don't parry them. Which would be dumb while farming.

I have read this entire thread and I still find it so difficult to parse that OP played Dark Souls THREE times, and "even NG++" and yet is struggling this much with Bloodborne? I don't think OP is lying or anything but like... how

It's because the beginning of Dark Souls is entirely different and I have problems to adapt to the new combat. It's getting better but the Cleric Beast gives me and my Cane a lot of hurt. I still have to figure out when It's better to play agressive and when to go DS and wait for their attack and go in afterwards. Seems like that boss leans more on the DS side. Until he goes nuts and just minces me.

Already found them yeah. I still need practice because I get killed by these as well sometimes when I don't parry them. Which would be dumb while farming.

It's because the beginning of Dark Souls is entirely different and I have problems to adapt to the new combat. It's getting better but the Cleric Beast gives me and my Cane a lot of hurt. I still have to figure out when It's better to play agressive and when to go DS and wait for their attack and go in afterwards. Seems like that boss leans more on the DS side. Until he goes nuts and just minces me.

Good to hear man! Once you have that parry down ( wait till your almost hit then shoot ^_^ ) you hopefully should feel more confident in fighting Cleric Beast.

You're also using the cane which in the beginning it's pretty weak, but the coolest looking starter weapon imo. My first run was cane as well ( until I got Eileen's weapons hehehhehe )

theRizzle

I mean, it took me probably 10% of my total game time (39 hrs) to be able to reliably get through the first part, so I get it. But I had never played a Souls game before.

I can say that I picked the Cane for my weapon on first playthrough and found it terrible. I ended up restarting with the Cleaver and it was waaaaaaaaaaaay easier. I recently restarted a second playthrough after not even touching the game since launch (with the Cane this time) and I made it through first time. I really don't think the cane is the weapon for a first playthrough, but what do I know

The cane is not easy mode for first time play through. The axe is broken and cleaver is the standard go through. Currently doing a cane play through and while speed is high, the damage is poor even with my skill stat maxed

Apathy

The cane is not easy mode for first time play through. The axe is broken and cleaver is the standard go through. Currently doing a cane play through and while speed is high, the damage is poor even with my skill stat maxed

2h axe is busted as fuck, I love it

The start of this game pretty much says to you: "See what you are getting into? Are you sure?"
Then you, player, slams back: "Nah, you are not that hard after I mastered these two werewolves".

Insist and git gud.

Melchiah

I mean, it took me probably 10% of my total game time (39 hrs) to be able to reliably get through the first part, so I get it. But I had never played a Souls game before.

I can say that I picked the Cane for my weapon on first playthrough and found it terrible. I ended up restarting with the Cleaver and it was waaaaaaaaaaaay easier. I recently restarted a second playthrough after not even touching the game since launch (with the Cane this time) and I made it through first time. I really don't think the cane is the weapon for a first playthrough, but what do I know

I did my first playthrough with Cane, and while it was challenging it was never too hard. I had only played Demon's Souls briefly before, so there was no previous experience to help me through either. None of the weapons are bad, but some may not fit everyone's playing style. Personally, I don't think I'd do that well with the heavier and slower strength weapons.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I might restart my fresh new game and go cane because it was fun.

I wish there was a STR whip but naw

Old Hunters baby...

I did my first playthrough with Cane, and while it was challenging it was never too hard. I had only played Demon's Souls briefly before, so there was no previous experience to help me through either. None of the weapons are bad, but some may not fit everyone's playing style. Personally, I don't think I'd do that well with the heavier and slower strength weapons.

Everyone does well when you spin to win, friend. Tis the Law of Yharnam!!

Melchiah

Everyone does well when you spin to win, friend. Tis the Law of Yharnam!!

Heh, that sounds like a boring way to play though.

I went with a strength build in DS3, and in retrospect I should have chosen dexterity like in BB. Trying to adjust to the combat style made the game unnecessarily hard for me.

Kamina

Golden Boy
There are only 3 valid complaints for bloodborne:
- Health item farming / no estus system
- Characteter creator is limited / good faces are hard to make, especially when compared to older games that do it much better
- Loading times

All other 'complaints' can be answered with 'git gud'.

Afrocious

dex in bb was limited

you had to love the whip and twin butter knives

then the dlc had you fight two sharks for actual dual swords

I need to plop this game back in the ps4 and finish it. Got to the boss with the gutling gun and stopped due to finals and never got back into it. It was easier than the Souls games except for one thing.....having to hunt down where my souls were when I died. Freakin hated that they would fuse with an enemy.

MTC100

Banned
I've slain Boss number three, it dropped some kind of key for me and I think I know what the door might be(I think it's somewhere in the second area with the huge enemies). On my way there I've stumbled upon a rather weak looking foe in some corner, well turns out that guy enrages when at 50% health or less and kicked my ass.
Then a cutscene started, well, looks like I've found the hidden city lol...

Darksol

The first few hours of the game is one of my favourite parts. Finally clearing the first few frustrating areas feels like a genuine accomplishment -- especially when on your second run through you can just demolish them after your hours of training.

I'm generally not a fan of the saying, but git gud.

Toxi

Banned
There are only 3 valid complaints for bloodborne:
- Health item farming / no estus system
- Characteter creator is limited / good faces are hard to make, especially when compared to older games that do it much better
- Loading times

All other 'complaints' can be answered with 'git gud'.
- The lack of stat respec
-Frame pacing

DD-11

- The lack of stat respec
-Frame pacing

What disappointed me was the boss battles. Sure they look cool, but they are all punch out fights--tough at first but once you learn the pattern, it becomes easy.

The hype this game gets is insane to me.

Top Bottom