• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

Rmagnus

Banned
Don't get hit and hit them. Counter hits do more damage.i don't think I parry much with the gun, mainly step out of range and counter hit. Your weapon comes in two forms, I used the cane and whip. So in my case use the whip in open areas and cane in tight corners. It's a fantastic game, best 3d castlevania ever made.

Afrocious

Wow I must suck if I didn't think the beginning was that bad and died 40 times against Ebrietas.

Don't get hit and hit them. Counter hits do more damage.i don't think I parry much with the gun, mainly step out of range and counter hit. Your weapon comes in two forms, I used the cane and whip. So in my case use the whip in open areas and cane in tight corners. It's a fantastic game, best 3d castlevania ever made.

A+ post.

Wait, what system isn't explained? I'm confused.

I already pointed out a perfect example: Where, when, how do you level up? At least to my knowledge I can see no explanations. It's possible I missed it, but they also were incredibly obtuse about it in Dark Souls 2, so I don't know why I should be surprised.

People are highly defensive about this game for some reason, but the beginning is just plain rough. And this is coming from someone who loves it, played all the Souls games since day one, and even tries to speedrun it at times.

FRS1987

Whip has nothing on the axe's R2 attack.

I always felt like even though the Axe's R2 is great because it sweeps and hits hard, the whip was faster and had better range and a LOT safer, at least I felt this way as a defensive souls player, the whip compliments players more who like to play it safe and attack from a range. Given that you can attack/kill 3-5 enemies at once with the whip's R2 (I think, been a while), I vastly preferred it personally and didn't feel at much at risk.

I think it's the easiest Souls game

But I'm very comfortable playing shield-less

Whip has nothing on the axe's R2 attack.

I always felt like even though the Axe's R2 is great because it sweeps and hits hard, the whip was faster and had better range and a LOT safer, at least I felt this way as a defensive souls player, the whip compliments players more who like to play it safe and attack from a range. Given that you can attack/kill 3-5 enemies at once with the whip's R2 (I think, been a while), I vastly preferred it personally and didn't feel at much at risk.

The secret GOAT axe attack is transformed L2. R2 spin has nothing on that

Afrocious

I already pointed out a perfect example: Where, when, how do you level up? At least to my knowledge I can see no explanations. It's possible I missed it, but they also were incredibly obtuse about it in Dark Souls 2, so I don't know why I should be surprised.

People are highly defensive about this game for some reason, but the beginning is just plain rough. And this is coming from someone who loves it, played all the Souls games since day one, and even tries to speedrun it at times.

Didn't BB just let you level up after you reach one of the two starting bosses? Like after you reach them, isn't the Doll standing up in the Hunter's Dream? You talk to her and I think she either tells you she can make you stronger from collecting blood or there's an option that straight up says you can level up.

I think it's the easiest Souls game

But I'm very comfortable playing shield-less

lol true this.

Whip was great but I recommend the axe to anyone who has trouble with the game.

Verelios

I beat this entire section learning how to be careful (more than Dark souls), when to capitalize on opportunities and when to cut my losses and RUN THE FUCK AWAY. You will absolutely get ganked if you're fighting like DkS. There are pebbles/firebombs for a reason, ledges are there to help you, and don't be afraid of watching how they interact for a while to get their behavior down.

I killed Cleric Beast without leveling because firstly, threaded cane is amazing, and getting through werewolves with low DMG is predicated on learning how to DODGE. So, yeah, try to work on positioning more.

Forward

Play the beginning of DS3 then tell me Bloodbornes starting point is hard.

The beginning of DS3 is easy as sin. I have never played BB (not enough games on the PS4 I like, for me to buy one). Are you telling me that all the GAF "git gud" hype over it is massively overblown?

Wamb0wneD

As a long time Souls fan I hated the term ''git gud'' too.

The Souls community used to be very helpful during the Demon's Souls and even early Dark Souls days. People used to be super kind to new comers and always provide tips and helps.

I don't know what the fuck happened to the community, and I have no idea why people keep yelling ''git gud'' at someone who is clearly frustrated and need help.

It's deeply condescending. If the best you can do is tell someone to "git gud", you're better off saying nothing at all because it's not helpful.

The beginning of BB was the hardest part of the game for me. And it doesn't help that it refuses to make the leveling system clear. I eventually got so frustrated that I looked up online when you can finally start leveling up and rolled my eyes at the answer.

It's an amazing game but it has its quirks.

I'm actually surprised it's only a handful of people in this thread tbh. And most of them said sorry that they have to tell me to git gud haha. Not sure how sorry they actually are though, probably not that much.
And at the bolded: this was me after reading the answer in this thread.

Hear me out here please. I played through Dark Souls three times, it was challenging but manageable, NG++ as well. Now I'm here and wonder what the hell is going wrong. I simply can't advance to the second Lantern, wherever that thing is.

And even if i would find it I still can't invest anything in better stats because of the genius decision to hide an item somewhere that you need to start leveling up.

I die everytime at the spot where the giant thing is pounding against the gate at the well where 2 hounds and 3 or 4 people are and then I have to beat that way too long corridor with way too many enemies again and again. Dark Souls 2 was critizied for that, but it's nothing against this POS corridor. Somehow half of them always notice me when I try to sneak past them as well.

Those people at the well also manage to spot me even tho I only try to lure one of them via a pebble. The detection system is janky af.

After the 7th time running along that corridor I'm close to giving up and it's a shame because I would actually enjoy the game if I would find that second save spot and if the game would let me invest my freaking xp.

Don't even bother trying to play The Old Hunters.

Afrocious

The beginning of DS3 is easy as sin. I have never played BB (not enough games on the PS4 I like, for me to buy one). Are you telling me that all the GAF "git gud" hype over it is massively overblown?

It's always been overblown, unless you're being sarcastic.

FRS1987

I would have to try it out or do an Axe playthrough. I admit I barely used the axe in favor of the whip, mainly because the whip form hits a lot really fast with little amounts of stamina. I might be just an oddball out because I felt like the cane made the game super easy.

Dadasch

I genuinely think that it is the most brilliant beginning area ever seen in a game.
Incredibly dense atmosphere thanks to an amazing sense of Level Design, Enemy Design (maybe not so much in the beginning), Combat Design, Sound Design, everything about it is just unbelievably well made. Combat is pretty easy to understand, but so satisfying when you actually get it, which most of the time happens during the "second" Bossfight.

It's really not that hard. People who are telling you this aren't all just a bunch of Professionals.

The entire game was extremely simple and lacked difficulty coming off the Dark Souls series but then again the formula was watered down so bloodborne could appeal to more people. The beginning is literally a breeze.

I actually breezed through NG+, but I - more or less - did so too with Dark Souls (until I eventually didn't want to continue anymore). It's just different, not harder or easier.

Didn't BB just let you level up after you reach one of the two starting bosses? Like after you reach them, isn't the Doll standing up in the Hunter's Dream? You talk to her and I think she either tells you she can make you stronger from collecting blood or there's an option that straight up says you can level up.

Well yes, but getting to the boss is *insanely* hard, given you could potentially work your way through dozens of enemies and then come face to face with those werewolf things. And again, none of this is explained. Nowhere in the game does it say "go find the boss on the bridge". You just hope and pray that when you poke your nose into every nook that you'll find anything to help you.

"yeah, but just take the shortcuts"

Right, if you happen to find them or have a subscription to Gamepro magazine for the hot tips.

"just run past everything"

The actual real answer. Except this is incredibly counterintuitive. You present to the player a fighting system that hinges on being calculated and rewarding patience (to a degree) then you ask your player to just run past everything in level one. The more you think about this, the more you realize it's broken and dumb.

Imagine if Mario asked you to not jump on any enemies in level 1 to survive. How silly would that be? The entire point of level 1 is to teach you the foundations upon which you can use for the remainder of the "real" game loop.

Wamb0wneD

Don't even bother trying to play The Old Hunters.
Ok MLG Souls player.

Well yes, but getting to the boss is *insanely* hard, given you could potentially work your way through dozens of enemies and then come face to face with those werewolf things. And again, none of this is explained. Nowhere in the game does it say "go find the boss on the bridge". You just hope and pray that when you poke your nose into every nook that you'll find anything to help you.

Right, if you happen to find them or have a subscription to Gamepro magazine for the hot tips.

The actual real answer. Except this is incredibly counterintuitive. You present to the player a fighting system that hinges on being calculated and rewarding patience (to a degree) then you ask your player to just run past everything in level one. The more you think about this, the more you realize it's broken and dumb.

Imagine if Mario asked you to not jump on any enemies in level 1 to survive. How silly would that be? The entire point of level 1 is to teach you the foundations upon which you can use for the remainder of the "real" game loop.

This. All of it.

Someone in this thread said the first area teaches you to ignore enemies. I still fail to see how it tried to teach me that.

Jimrpg

Run past everything until you meet the Cleric Demon, if you can't kill him (he is doable on the first try if you're a DS veteran.... usually), start grinding for levels and upgrade materials (there's enough to upgrade your weapon up to +3 maybe) then go ham.

What weapon are you using? The axe and saw cleaver should be good, two-handing the former gives you a chargeable spin-to-win attack.

I'm probably in the minority just like the OP but the fact that grinding on the first level is even a thing. Jesus. The first level is garbage. There are too many of those guys. Even if you git gud you still have to wade through 7-10 guys every time. Yeah you don't have to kill them but you may as well to get those XP.

Anyway I stopped after the first level. Will probably go back at some stage.

Afrocious

Ok MLG Souls player.

I mean, I know you're speaking pejoratively, but it's not bad advice. The first area and last area in the DLC can be something else. And I'm one of the folks who think the first DLC boss is the true challenge.

Hmm. I see where you're coming from, but I don't think the shortcuts were hard to find. I think they'll be found by those who are curious and don't mind exploring. Though I can only say that as someone who was already used to the idea from the previous games that there could be paths hidden behind breakable objects, and remembering what's down a certain path I died in and making the decision if I should continue down said path or not.

And I disagree with run past everything but I wouldn't say it's a bad idea. I prefer sitting back and killing things one by one in new areas if I can help it. It's not exciting, but it works for me.

So unfortunately, I can only oppose your stance with my personal experience, so maybe we won't see eye to eye on it.

breadtruck

I got sick of dying as well, so one day I tried to see how far I could get if I just run past everything.
And of course I made it to the boss. I tried it again and again, and I would make it to the boss every time.

I never did beat that boss though, and I stopped playing the game since its not fun. But hey, at least I tried it.

Hey, I'll throw you a bone, OP. The tutorial is beyond bare-bones (even by From standards), and reaching the first shortcut (which is basically your tutorial on shortcuts) should probably be more direct(ive) and a bit easier to reach.

The game is very much designed for people who are already balls-deep in Souls and doesn't do much for people who are coming into the genre fresh, even when compared to the rest of the series.

its awful because you keep doing the same thing and getting the same failing results?
wtf-meme-25-wtf-memes-on-surf.jpg

Dadasch

Someone in this thread said the first area teaches you to ignore enemies. I still fail to see how it tried to teach me that.

You fail to see it, because it is not the case.
The first area teaches you to fight your enemies one at a time. You get those Pebbles immediately so that you can actually use them to lure your enemies one by one.
If you need to.

That's the very reason why it presents you the biggest mob in the whole game.

Wamb0wneD

its awful because you keep doing the same thing and getting the same failing results?
wtf-meme-25-wtf-memes-on-surf.jpg

Your imagie doesn't work, but maybe just read this post

mstevens

I got sick of dying as well, so one day I tried to see how far I could get if I just run past everything.
And of course I made it to the boss. I tried it again and again, and I would make it to the boss every time.

I never did beat that boss though, and I stopped playing the game since its not fun. But hey, at least I tried it.

Err.. you run past everything and then are surprised when you don't have sufficient familiarity with the combat system to be able to beat the first boss?

BB was my first souls game and I got to the Cleric Beast without running past everything. You don't have to go past the werewolves.

Your imagie doesn't work, but maybe just read this post

Running past everything isn't the actual real answer, though. Maybe resort to it if a boss is kicking your ass over and over and you want to try him again quickly, but at the beginning of the game? Nah.

Explore, try a different path. Getting *TO* the Cleric Beast isn't an issue at all. You may have difficulties killing him, but at that point you can level up. Father Gascoigne is usually the first major roadblock for new players (the boss right after Cleric Beast).

And like I mentioned earlier - there are other ways to unlock leveling. I found a madman's knowledge by some crows before I even knew about the Cleric Beast.

Again, the beginning of the game should be teaching you how to efficiently and quickly take care of monsters. It's trying to prepare you for much difficult areas down the road. If you run past everything, you won't learn how to deal with it. If you can get to the point where you can shred everything in the first area no problem, then you can handle Father Gascoigne.

Just have no shame and watch a let's play for the first 40 minutes more than enough to get traction.

I was also lost when I first got it: in particular as to the order of what things to do, because running past stuff can get you to things you shouldn't be doing.

For example looping back down the road with the with the big bonfire you find a giant armored scyth guy who is guarding ... nothing. I wasted so much time trying to kill that guy. And for what? He is there to troll new players afaik.

Then I got intimidated by the cleric beast because he looked harder than father gasgoine, so skipped him, but is actually easier, so I missed out on leveling up.

The key is to know what boss follows what boss. If you don't soak up the lore and be observant then it's easy to simply have no clue what to do next and be missing a shortcut.

The order of each section is basically: long fight/explore to boss room, unlocking a shortcut or lamp and shortcut, so repeat trials are easy. (Same as all souls games).

Also when you achieve boss victories more items are unlocked to buy at the two shops. These are not highlighted so you might not notice. There is however no real "best" armor nor really best weapon so beyond special situations like poison resist just wear what you like.

Beyond the cycle of buying and unlocking and leveling up there are some less obvious pathways that open which means google "where do I go next" sometimes results in a surprise like oh THAT door is now open.

Afrocious

Hey, I'll throw you a bone, OP. The tutorial is beyond bare-bones (even by From standards), and reaching the first shortcut (which is basically your tutorial on shortcuts) should probably be more direct(ive) and a bit easier to reach.

The game is very much designed for people who are already balls-deep in Souls and doesn't do much for people who are coming into the genre fresh, even when compared to the rest of the series.

I can see that.

Also, when I think about it, I don't think I ever ran back to the first lantern to level up after collecting enough echoes. The only time I ever went back to the Hunter's Dream in the beginning was when I died lol.

Wamb0wneD

You fail to see it, because it is not the case.
The first area teaches you to fight your enemies one at a time. You get those Pebbles immediately so that you can actually use them to lure your enemies one by one.
If you need to.

That's the very reason why it presents you the biggest mob in the whole game.

That's not what some other expert had to say on the matter in this thread. To him the area teaches you that it's ok to run through things. Sometimes I would throw pebbles at the last enemy of a mob and the others still would notice me.

I wasn't talking about the mob in the huge corridor but the one at the well where the giant pounds on the door. As soon you stick your head out there to throw a pebble at anything at least 4 people with dogs come charging at you.

Sounds like you suck. I don't understand the mentality of starting a thread to say a game sucks because you're not good enough to beat it. It's a popular game. If this was a serious problem then it wouldn't have received the praise that it did. But I guess you know better because...?

rtcn63

I'm probably in the minority just like the OP but the fact that grinding on the first level is even a thing. Jesus. The first level is garbage. There are too many of those guys. Even if you git gud you still have to wade through 7-10 guys every time. Yeah you don't have to kill them but you may as well to get those XP.

Anyway I stopped after the first level. Will probably go back at some stage.

You don't "have to" grind but... well, it helps. I actually cut through to the Cleric Demon and beat it on my first try (I think), but I had seen a few previews of the game, as well as playing the original DS without a shield. And because the axe is OP as all fuck.

But yeah grinding is a thing.

Afrocious

That's not what some other expert had to say on the matter in this thread. To him the area teaches you that it's ok to run through things. Sometimes I would throw pebbles at the last enemy of a mob and the others still would notice me.

I wasn't talking about the mob in the huge corridor but the one at the well where the giant pounds on the door. As soon you stick your head out there to throw a pebble at anything at least 4 people with dogs come charging at you.

Ohhhh! I know where you are now.

You can actually run through that area and down that dark tunnel area to where the caskets and crows are. None of the enemies will follow into there long enough.

When starting off, I always do that if I'm not sniping enemies.

Also I never thought of using pebbles wtf. Learned something new lol.

Sounds like you suck. I don't understand the mentality of starting a thread to say a game sucks because you're not good enough to beat it. It's a popular game. If this was a serious problem then it wouldn't have received the praise that it did. But I guess you know better because...?

Based on Trophy data, the percentage of people who beat a boss suggests it may actually be something of an issue, despite the game's popularity.

Having players get frustrated and quit is acceptable and expected for a Souls game, but the percentage who quit before even downing a single boss is probably not okay.

Wamb0wneD

I'm sorry i hurt your feelings. Maybe read some of the thread, or even the fucking thread title next time. Where do I say the entire game sucks? I don't understand the mentality to get so defensive over a game you like that you feel the need to shit on someone's opinion in that way. A not so small amount of people who beat the game agree with me. But you know better because...? Grow up.

Afrocious

Based on Trophy data, the percentage of people who beat a boss suggests it may actually be something of an issue, despite the game's popularity.

Having players get frustrated and quit is acceptable and expected for a Souls game, but the percentage who quit before even downing a single boss is probably not okay.

Isn't that not the case of all the Souls games?

I figured that was used as a statistical piece of support for the idea of a defined easy mode.

mstevens

You're taking this way too personally and letting one person skew your view with confirmation bias.

According to the OP, you're having difficulty with the group of dogs and guys right after the pounding on the door big dude. On the staircase leading up to them, watch the patroling group. If I remember correctly they will come down, walk around the fountain, and then walk back up. Wait for that, then take care of the dog and any other enemy down there. Once they come back it should be much easier.

Here is a video (start around 1:42):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33YxkTFy7Dw (This guy is playing horribly and is still able to do it, so it is definitely doable)

After that, there is a really, really helpful shortcut that will let you skip that huge corridor full of enemies that you are complaining about.

Unfortunately there are two werewolves in the way. (There is another way to get to this shortcut but I'm not sure how to describe it via text). These werewolves are killable at level 1 for sure, but you can also run past them if you want just to grab the shortcut.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'll give it another go sometime, but I played for like 20 minutes and had absolutly no fucking clue what was going on.

Im usually one to stay with a game for at least a few, if not 10+ hours before giving up.

Wasn't even that I was dying a lot, I just had no context.. maybe that's the point?

Sylas

I think anyone who says the first level teaches you to run away from enemies is being highly disingenuous. It taught me to figure out when I can be highly aggressive and when I need to be incredibly cautious. Which is what the entire combat system of the game hinges on. The only time I started running past enemies was, wait for it, when I figured out I could do that on my own!

And, uh. Finding shortcuts on your own is half the fun of it. I totally get it if you don't like BB, but to say the first level teaches you to avoid combat is hilarious and I disagree entirely.

In this instance it sounds like the game is telling you that you can't always pick things apart one-by-one and sometimes you need to find a strategy to take out an entire group. You can use the terrain to separate them as far as I can remember. Like drag the dog(s) down the stairs and away from the other enemies. Or sprint towards gunners to take them out ASAP.

rtcn63

I'll give it another go sometime, but I played for like 20 minutes and had absolutly no fucking clue what was going on.

Im usually one to stay with a game for at least a few, if not 10+ hours before giving up.

Wasn't even that I was dying a lot, I just had no context.. maybe that's the point?

Is this your first Souls game? Because that's normal. There are probably A LOT of people who spent many, many hours in Undead Burg in the original DS without any real idea as to what the fuck they were doing. Myself included.

Honestly that would be a problem pre YouTube but come on anyone can spend 20 minutes and watch someone blind play with amusing commentary as far as they like. So why not just watch one to get going? Gotta be better than shelving the game.
I recommend Mr Odds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzj7yPkCttQ

Isn't that not the case of all the Souls games?

Not really, at least for Dark 1/3, because they have a very explicit Tutorial Area and Tutorial Boss, which most players do manage to get through.

I'd have to double-check the data for Dark 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar or worse, since the push to the first boss in that game is, if not worse, at least longer and more involved.

Afrocious

Not really, at least for Dark 1/3, because they have a very explicit Tutorial Area and Tutorial Boss, which most players do manage to get through.

I'd have to double-check the data for Dark 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar or worse, since the push to the first boss in that game is, if not worse, at least longer and more involved.

I was referring to the number of players getting trophies off the first boss compared to the second boss.

I know pretty much any game with bosses that give out trophies, there's always a drop.

The first time I played Bloodborne, I was having an extremely rough time (even as a Souls veteran).

I took a day off from it to cool off and think about what I was doing wrong. I realized I was being too hasty. Not utilizing my dodge like I should.

Bloodborne isn't meant to be played like Souls, which for the most part are very defensive. Bloodborne is offensive.

Only advice I can give a newcomer is to take it slowly, do your best not to let enemies ambush you, shoot the dogs when they charge you, and pick the axe.

Mathieran

Banned
It's fine. I'm not really good at this kind of game and I struggled a little bit at first but you just have to take things slowly. Learn patrol patterns, use rocks to pull 1-2 enemies away at a time, sneak up behind people, stuff like that.

Patience is key.

Wamb0wneD

You're taking this way too personally and letting one person skew your view with confirmation bias.

According to the OP, you're having difficulty with the group of dogs and guys right after the pounding on the door big dude. On the staircase leading up to them, watch the patroling group. If I remember correctly they will come down, walk around the fountain, and then walk back up. Wait for that, then take care of the dog and any other enemy down there. Once they come back it should be much easier.

Here is a video (start around 1:42):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33YxkTFy7Dw

After that, there is a really, really helpful shortcut that will let you skip that huge corridor full of enemies that you are complaining about.

Unfortunately there are two werewolves in the way. (There is another way to get to this shortcut but I'm not sure how to describe it via text). These werewolves are killable at level 1 for sure, but you can also run past them if you want just to grab the shortcut.

I'm not taking this personally lol, dont worry. It's just interesting when I see how different people think they got the definition down of what the first area tries to teach the player.
A lot of people in here advise me to just run for it, not a single person.

And thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Sulik2

I completely agree. The start of Bloodborne makes some incredibly boneheaded decisions in game design that the rest of the game does not display. Not letting you level right off the bat in an area that difficult was stupid beyond belief.

Jolkien

Like others have said use the Hunter Axe, transform it into a two hander and press R2 until it's fully charged, it's insanely OP for like 25-30% of the game. Good reach, sweep attack and it launch a lot of the enemy on their back.

ZOONAMI

The game is continuously pretty hard, and the basically non existent story resulted in me giving up after beating bsb and father gacione, progressing to bell tower or whatever and just keep getting killed by some invisible shit and the giants. I was like alright I've spent like 4 hours in this section trying to progress. I'm done.

Top Bottom