• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Just to confirm, the GCN version of the game *does* run at 60fps in Dolphin, correct?

Kaldaien

Neo Member
Just to confirm, the GCN version of the game *does* run at 60fps in Dolphin, correct?

60 FPS in cities and battle.

My work in TSFix right now is backwards :p I have the menu and overworld map running at 60, everything else 30. Hope to get that worked out in the future.

But already, the PC version has textures 4x the resolution of Dolphin's "HD texture pack." I spent a couple of weeks engineering a system to stream high-resolution textures into the game that Dolphin would simply choke on. The entire game's textures have been upscaled to 4K and it looks gorgeous. 60 FPS is the last piece of the puzzle and then hopefully we can stop talking about this stupid emulator :)

Asharakk

The entire game's textures have been upscaled to 4K and it looks gorgeous. 60 FPS is the last piece of the puzzle and then hopefully we can stop talking about this stupid emulator :)

You're my hero! You may just single-handedly make this port worth purchasing. The devs should hand you a percentage of their income.

Zafir

My work in TSFix right now is backwards :p I have the menu and overworld map running at 60, everything else 30. Hope to get that worked out in the future.

But already, the PC version has textures 4x the resolution of Dolphin's "HD texture pack." I spent a couple of weeks engineering a system to stream high-resolution textures into the game that Dolphin would simply choke on. The entire game's textures have been upscaled to 4K and it looks gorgeous. 60 FPS is the last piece of the puzzle and then hopefully we can stop talking about this stupid emulator :)

Does that include the awful 2d backdrops?

Most of the textures never bothered me in Symphonia's remaster. Those backdrops that you see mainly during combat and sometimes outside, looked absolutely abysmal though. They did no work to them, you're looking at a 480p backdrop at best being pulled up to 1080p+.

Great work either way though, you apparently care more than Namco Bandai did. :p

Woah, you're still working on the 60fps fix for Symphonia? I'm looking forward to it!

sanhora

Can't wait to finally play the game with your tsfix!

haendeul

Looks like someone at Bamco still cares about this port!
Tales of Symphonia HD update and various fixes - Sept. 27th, 2016
Hello Tales of Symphonia fans! A new update is live and features a handful of key fixes. Please see the full list below and thank you again for your support of Tales of Symphonia!

- Increased resolution options up to 4K
- MSAA support
- Improved character and object outlines
- Frame rate smoothing
- Post sharpening and gamma improvements
- Improved mipmap implementation
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=372360

Kaldaien

Neo Member
Looks like someone at Bamco still cares about this port!

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=372360

What's sad about that, is that list of things ... I implemented in 2 weeks following launch. What's infuriating about it is, their implementation is clearly based off of my own work, because they are offering MSAA Quality Level as an option.

I get tired of explaining what Quality Level is and why NVIDIA does not support it on Maxwell or Pascal GPUs, but that is the price I pay for making that an option in the .ini :) If Namco had come to the decision to include that setting of their own accord, they would have gone the extra mile and correlated quality level with CSAA (NV) and EQAA (AMD) settings so that the end user isn't left scratching their head what the hell a quality level actually is.

In all games that have in-game settings, that's how it works. I only used the name Quality Level as an INI option because I did not have a UI to let the user select a friendly name with.

I'm glad they got around to running through a checklist of things to fix that was ENTIRELY stuff that I already fixed, but come on ... at least add my name to the Special Thanks section or something.

What's sad about that, is that list of things ... I implemented in 2 weeks following launch. What's infuriating about it is, their implementation is clearly based off of my own work, because they are offering MSAA Quality Level as an option.

I get tired of explaining what Quality Level is and why NVIDIA does not support it on Maxwell or Pascal GPUs, but that is the price I pay for making that an option in the .ini :) If Namco had come to the decision to include that setting of their own accord, they would have gone the extra mile and correlated quality level with CSAA (NV) and EQAA (AMD) settings so that the end user isn't left scratching their head what the hell a quality level actually is.

In all games that have in-game settings, that's how it works. I only used the name Quality Level as an INI option because I did not have a UI to let the user select a friendly name with.

I'm glad they got around to running through a checklist of things to fix that was ENTIRELY stuff that I already fixed, but come on ... at least add my name to the Special Thanks section or something.

Lol indeed. They literally pick up your mod and snap it into the game as a patch of their own.

And it took them months to do that, amusingly.

Durante

This is exactly what happened with FF13 FWIW.
Except they missed one of the more minor modifications and (I believe still to this day) have some cut off UI elements at some resolutions. Which is particularly amusing since it's all open source.

Get used to it :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think some coders think you guys should count yourself lucky to be 'officially' recognized with patches, even if they are the ones taking the credit for what you did.

Just like Zestiria, I was trying to hold out on buying this because I want the Collectors Edition one.....but at this price it seems hard to say no again. Ive beaten this game so many times and I loved it on gamecube, new content would be fantastic to try out.

So my question is.....what is the current state of modding for this game? Has it fixed most of its issues? =(

FLD

So, now that they've "borrowed" Kaldaien's work, I take it the port is in a much better state out of the box now?

If that's the case, I'm kinda tempted to give it another shot. Not sure why, though. When I tried the PS3 version a couple years back and thought it was kinda boring... lol.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So, now that they've "borrowed" Kaldaien's work, I take it the port is in a much better state out of the box now?

Yea I've been running it without TSFix and it's working perfectly outside of the 30 FPS lock.

Seiniyta

So, I've downloaded the game (because free weekend) But, when installing the 60fps fix it still seems to be 30 fps? The current patch not supported for that?

Furthermore, any way to revert to a prior patch to get the fix working?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So, I've downloaded the game (because free weekend) But, when installing the 60fps fix it still seems to be 30 fps? The current patch not supported for that?

Furthermore, any way to revert to a prior patch to get the fix working?

There is no 60 fps fix for this game.

RedSwirl

I tried it out a bit. I'm still not sure that, even for $7, this is better than just sticking with my Gamecube copy and ripping it into Dolphin one day. What do I get? Japanese audio and some extra story content? How much is that worth? I guess if I do buy it I can sit back for future patches and mods, but I just don't know if it's really worth it.

Still kind of mad the framerate is still at 30 but whatever. I also don't see any resolutions above 1080p despite the latest patch. My screen is 1080p but I have 2160p set up as a custom resolution in the Nvidia control center and that seems to work for other games. I also notice you can't drop it to any resolution UNDER 720p. I'm interested in that because to be honest, the textures simply do not hold up, and I thought if I played in a windowed resolution small enough I could mitigate that. Guess not. I sit just me or did the Gamecube version have some kind of blur effect or something that's gone in later versions?

RedSwirl

I just looked at a video with those textures. God damn. They don't look like modern textures but they're certainly an improvement. Those are textures you made/upscaled for the PC version right? Are these textures for the whole game?

Top Bottom