• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

Vamphuntr

Maybe you've heard that the ToS port crashed frequently on devices with touch-input. Well, the most recent patch 'fixed' this. In a hilariously stupid way.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/37236...59260120/?tscn=1456746330#c412448158161154896

So yeah, apparently their solution was to disable everything touch related on startup and enable it again on exit, but it appears that the latter is not really reliable or they just forgot about it.

But the second part of that quote is even more hilarious(ly sad).

I can't.

You know I always believed companies that did terrible ports were forced to do so. Like they offered to do the port for much lower than it would actually cost so they could get contracts and keep the company alive while cutting corners and making lower quality ports to meet deadlines. This seems more like incompetence unfortunately.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how this even happens. How does a studio that incompetent get contracted? It's like Bamco just went for the lowest offer and didn't even bother to make sure they had any idea what they were doing.

I don't understand how this even happens. How does a studio that incompetent get contracted? It's like Bamco just went for the lowest offer and didn't even bother to make sure they had any idea what they were doing.

Isn't this how outsourcing usually works?
I'm joking, but really.

They likely did the bear minimum of research before giving it to the lowest bidder, because they didn't want to spend much on the port. By bear minimum I mean they knew they would have a product they could sell at the end, and not much more.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Consoles don't get ports with these kinds of huge mess-ups because Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft make them go through QA whereas PC is like the wild wild west, right? (no one owns the platform so anything goes?)
I'll be glad when we get through this age of incompetent pc porting. :(

duckroll

Consoles don't get ports with these kinds of huge mess-ups because Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft make them go through QA whereas PC is like the wild wild west, right? (no one owns the platform so anything goes?)

Errrr. ZoE HD? USF4 PS4? Tons of problematic Vita ports? Shit ports happen when publishers don't give a shit. First Party QA doesn't shield consumers from crappy performance and low effort, it only ensures that the game won't blow your system up or delete all your saves. Lol.

Yuuichi

Is this a good thing or something? Was it using XInput for the keyboard previously and creating issues?

Yes, it's a good thing. Presumably they had some other horribly mangled input management that was doing things it shouldn't have been, while DI is fast, reliable, and easy to spoof.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Probably realized the community/Kaldaien was doing more for the game than the actual developers, so they removed the anti-tamper DRM that was making things harder for them.

KingBroly

Banned
So where is the Port at right now in terms of performance in regards to where it was at a month ago? And what have Modders done?

ezodagrom

And what have Modders done?
Several improvements to graphics and performance (stuttering and loading) with TSFix.
xn47Cdt.jpg

Game's still locked at 30fps, but with VMProtect now gone, should be just a matter of time, probably.

Several improvements to graphics and performance (stuttering and loading) with TSFix.

Game's still locked at 30fps, but with VMProtect now gone, should be just a matter of time, probably.

wow what a joke

it's like Namco wanted to cancel this at the last minute but went "Oh shit we promised Zestiria owners they'd get this! Quick hire the cheapest port house to do this!"

BONKERS

They remove it and once again, no communication. The only thing I could possibly imagine the management structure being like is in the first episode of Band of Brothers with Captain Sobel. That fucking guy or more than one of him is running this shit show.

lol, I'm starting to think that what I thought was a blur filter at first, is just plain incompetence. 3 times per-frame they have to copy an offscreen surface from one to another. They have opted to do this by stretching the surfaces over a single triangle, I commend them for that because that approach is quicker than a blit (provided you don't need MSAA). But they did this with pixel coordinates that were off by 0.5 pixels.

Blurring happens here simply because texture filtering cannot decide which pixel in a texture (left/right top/bottom) is closer to a pixel on screen half of the time. Such an amateur mistake, I'm speechless. I could write a post-mortem on this game, and I had nothing to do with its development, lol.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/37236...59260120/?tscn=1456567620#c412448158154485134
Not surprising, the world map is a resource management nightmare. Even the GameCube with its exceptionally low disk seek times couldn't really sustain 60 FPS on it because of all the texture load activity (especially flying around in a Rheiard).

That limitation almost existed in the PC version too until I implemented smarter GPU-side texture caching. They try to treat this game as if we're facing the same VRAM restrictions of the PS2 / GameCube, lol. Textures that should never be unloaded are ... frequently, in order to free VRAM that doesn't need to be freed.
The list of things that were done wrong in this game just keeps growing, sheesh.

You know why textures take so long to load on the Direct3D end of things? The idiots need a great many of these textures at a different resolution than they are stored in the game files. So ... what did they do? Why the craziest thing imaginable of course; re-scale textures to fit at load time... don't bother sizing the textures ahead of time, that would make too much damn sense.

WTF?! Seriously, WTF?

All this makes me sad that Grandia II on steam according to steamspy only has just over 50k owners. It deserves so much better considering the support and communication from GungHo even HERE on GAF.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
They remove it and once again, no communication. The only thing I could possibly imagine the management structure being like is in the first episode of Band of Brothers with Captain Sobel. That fucking guy or more than one of him is running this shit show.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/37236...59260120/?tscn=1456567620#c412448158154485134

All this makes me sad that Grandia II on steam according to steamspy only has just over 50k owners. It deserves so much better considering the support and communication from GungHo even HERE on GAF.

GOD DAMN IT OTHER OCEAN

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The certification processes exist merely to ensure games adhere to each respective certification criteria (achievement/trophy support and the like), which is why publishers either have their own QA departments or partner with a third party. That isn't to say those involved with certification don't make note of unrelated bugs they encounter -- some probably do, others not so much -- but QA isn't the purpose.

Xenus

If all this true Durante would probably be deeply wounded in his soul. Also it sounds like other Ocean seriously needs to hire some new talent or they should stop getting jobs no matter how "cheap" they are.

Yikes at some of these findings. I'm convinced this was mostly ported by junior coders or at the very least people with very little experience with graphics programming.

At least VMProtect is gone. That is a victory.

Xenus

Yikes at some of these findings. I'm convinced this was mostly ported by junior coders or at the very least people with very little experience with graphics programming.

Honestly it makes it sound like Other Ocean's coders are a bunch of kids just out of Uni without a competent technical lead to go no don't do that.

MartyStu

Honestly it makes it sound like Other Ocean's coders are a bunch of kids just out of Uni without a competent technical lead to go no don't do that.

From what I am seeing, there is a very good chance that this is true.

Some of the ways they have gone about patching the issues just screams ignorance.

You do not need to know anything about graphics programming to know not to do some of the stupid shit they have.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

GOD

DAMN

IT

OTHER OCEAN!

Code:
	ShowCursor(false);

I'VE NEVER EVEN PROGRAMMED USING DIRECTX BEFORE.

As I said, I've never programmed with direct X. I've never done graphics programming. you can see how I figured out how I would hide the cursor by reading my post and clicking the links. I googled and clicked a few search results.

These people are incompetent, not inexperienced.

BONKERS

I have put 60 FPS aside for now. I wasted a lot of time on that, and because of the way the game is written it's going to be an insane hassle involving re-writing some animation code. I would have to re-write a lot of SSE2 math that the compiler generated. Compiler optimized code is not pretty to reverse engineer :(

I may re-visit it in the future, but it's definitely no longer a priority.

I really think the reason Tales of Zestiria was released with a 30 FPS cap was because QLOC was battling with Namco's horrendous framerate limiter. It can't even do 30 FPS correctly, much less 60.

They did a lot of work behind the scenes that's really difficult to do with just assembly language code. Thanks to their work at a more reasonable level (C++ code), it was pretty easy to get 60 FPS stable in Zestiria. It's not even easy to get it to happen period in Symphonia, much less iron out kinks such as collision detection :-\

http://steamcommunity.com/app/37236...59260120/?tscn=1457272357#c412448792364538727

If he can't do it very easily. Good luck getting Bamco to actually do any work trying.

Maybe they'll surprise us!.... yeah right.

*sigh*

kewlmyc

saw this was on sale for the current anime sale.

Did this port EVER get fixed?

like as in a stable 60fps and any graphical enhancements?

Everything is fixed due to patches and a fanmod called TSFix. However, a 60fps mod currently doesn't exists. It's still the best version of the game when incorporating mods right now bar it being 30fps.

Everything is fixed due to patches and a fanmod called TSFix. However, a 60fps mod currently doesn't exists. It's still the best version of the game when incorporating mods right now bar it being 30fps.

so in every other regard its the best experience but it still runs at 30?
I guess i need to decide if 9.99 is a fair deal for not having to set up my ps3 then in order to play this again.
that and hope someday a 60fps fix comes along.
is it DS4 compatible?

kewlmyc

so in every other regard its the best experience but it still runs at 30?
I guess i need to decide if 9.99 is a fair deal for not having to set up my ps3 then in order to play this again.
that and hope someday a 60fps fix comes along.
is it DS4 compatible?

Beats me, but if it isn't, there are programs that allow for ds4 conversions over to xbox pads.

BONKERS

No it's not fixed entirely.

There are a ton of bugs that don't exist in the GCN original,
https://steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/412446292769130296/

The latest patch mentions fixing some text/localization stuff. But no specifics , so there is no confirmation of what all has been fixed.

The resolution is still locked, the framerate limiter is still broken,it still has that annoying ultra low res bloom effect carried over from Zestiria,there's no AA at all, no outlines it's still 30FPS.(All but the last can be fixed with TSFix, but you shoudn't have to be required to do so to get it up to par with how it should be at teh minimum. )
There are others too i'm sure.

I would've waited until the game was like 5$ or less. It's not worth giving them money for.
They took 2 months to release another patch and they still haven't even fixed the resolution at least.

They are taking giant slow baby steps.

Top Bottom