• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sounds stupid. Why go out of your way to acknowledge and pay someone for their work when they're more than willing to do it for free?

Because in the intervening time you have to deal with the bad press and user review scores on Steam, which probably decreases your sales up front.

Besides, the situation isn't that they should give Durante money, it's that they should pay the developers for the few fucking hours it takes to fix this shit, and do it themselves.

Shifty1897

screenshot_2016-02-04thocf.jpg

15 minutes. Including figuring out when and how they get drawn.
Admittedly, I could only do it that quickly since I'm quite familiar with cel shading approaches of that era (what they do is render the mesh again scaled out and with inverted culling).

Since people are asking about the framerate: if it's possible at all, that would most likely take more time than I'm willing to invest on this game.

Durante, putting shame in your PC porting game since 2012.

BONKERS

Yo Durante, how long for a model upgrade and full orchestral rerecording of soundtrack?

I actually had daydreams about arranging the soundtrack to this game if the PC port was good and music easily replaceable a few weeks ago.
Because, the music is good. But clearly limited by the simplistic Sequencing and samples. I would really love to do it with some of my friends in the VGM community (Sans changing the arrangements or structure that is. Just improved versions the way the music already is)

But ehhhhhh.

What's amazing is that durante fixed the cel shading with ease. Meanwhile Bamco didn't even bother with the PS3 version.

hey guys, give Bamco some slack, they already released two patches and working on more. I wish they removed that DRM first.

and we had no reaction from KT in any form, as I was afraid it'll end.

What you think they will bring this completely up to snuff and fix everything?

Good laugh my friend. They had a good chance before they decided to release this POS.

And if they don't return it to 60FPS as it should be then they can lasdkjflasjdlf;kejnz;kljer

How bad are the TK ports?

I know they were assholes for porting the DoA5 PS3 version instead of PS4 version. What else?

Did they work on the Dragon Quest Heroes port? How did that port come out?

DQHeroes has no AA(Is DX11 means no forced AA), not even FXAA and only runs up to 1080p. Special attacks still lock to 30, like consoles.

Ucchedavāda;194028059 said:
VAC bans are visible even for private profiles, but if they wanted to hide it, then they could just make a new profile for their community interactions.
You're right, I forgot about that.

Also, they gave it some thought as they created a new profile:
BandaiNamcoUS Community posted an annoucement: Tales of Symphonia - Patch Notes (2/2/2016)

BandaiNamcoUS Community
500 XP
Profile created about 20 hours ago
Last online about 14 hours ago
Refreshed less than a minute ago
https://steamdb.info/calculator/76561198281289384/

It's something I guess
Think they're sincerely trying, which might be a good sign.

Zunnoab

Neo Member
Firstly, thanks to Durante for the work! It is amazing to see something so beautiful so quickly. It is good to see feedback from Bandai Namco on the issue. Contrast that with Final Fantasy V and Square Enix, which has a topic outlining bugs (some critical that were identified the week of launch) and for which there is not a single SE response or patch. I am not excusing what a mess this was, but if they are actively trying to fix that mess it is good.

Sounds stupid. Why go out of your way to acknowledge and pay someone for their work when they're more than willing to do it for free?

There are several people that have contributed to Tales of Zestiria's fix mod, however I'll quote this from its creator. I would say primary contributor, but I do not want to disrespect anyone else such as the person whose work got merged into it to make the FPS variable.

Here's a link to the post.
Kaldaien (From the Steam boards for Tales of Zestiria.) said:
I don't think they could afford to hire me. Not that I work for an inordinate amount of money or anything, but it seems like they did this on a shoestring budget; almost an exercise in "just how cheaply can we ship something on PC?"

I think Namco worked very hard on this, and I don't want to take anything away from that, but it just feels to me like there were and still are some time / manpower / budget constraints here making all sorts of things impractical.

I'd assume the same would apply to Durante, regarding their ability to afford to pay on the budget.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
I would go as far as saying that every time a bad PC port of a game whose engine isn't already so multiplatform that you can generate a port with a click of a button comes out, it's caused by budget and/or project management issues.

Porting a console game to PC at all requires a team of decently skilled programmers. I cannot imagine a programmer who can contribute anything useful to a PC port, yet is unable to do something as basic as making the game's internal rendering resolution variable.

And if a game comes out with lots of bugs (and is otherwise decent), that's just a clear-cut indicator that the developers either ran out of money or have a terrible QA process that makes finding, organising and eventually fixing bugs a nightmare.

Ryne

People on the steam forums found out Symphonia runs at 40 fps if you run it at XP3 compatibility mode.

They have also mentioned that it speeds the game engine up a tad.

Instro

Firstly, thanks to Durante for the work! It is amazing to see something so beautiful so quickly. It is good to see feedback from Bandai Namco on the issue. Contrast that with Final Fantasy V and Square Enix, which has a topic outlining bugs (some critical that were identified the week of launch) and for which there is not a single SE response or patch. I am not excusing what a mess this was, but if they are actively trying to fix that mess it is good.

There are several people that have contributed to Tales of Zestiria's fix mod, however I'll quote this from its creator. I would say primary contributor, but I do not want to disrespect anyone else such as the person whose work got merged into it to make the FPS variable.

Here's a link to the post.

I'd assume the same would apply to Durante, regarding their ability to afford to pay on the budget.

Well yes they should probably apply a budget larger than $10 to make a compentent port for a game that wouod easily sell a couple hundred thousand. It's not like they didn't have the numbers and feedback from Zestiria to now that they can be successful on the platform.

It seems that the reason why some people can run it at 40fps is they're running on Windows XP (or with the compatibility).
Update 2016-02-04:
Melly experimented and noticed that running the game in Windows XP SP3 compatability mode causes the game to run at 40FPS for many people. So if you'd like to test that, you can scroll down to the 40FPS / Stutter fix section. Might not work for everyone.

I put the fpsLimit option to the GeDoSaTo Tales of Symphonia settings profile, so if you want to lock the framerate to 30 (as the game runs slightly faster at 40fps, which not everyone might prefer), you can do so from there. This also has the benefit of the game running at a solid 30FPS instead of at 28-29.

BONKERS

Fucking serious? Not only could you not fix the stuttering issue in Zestiria, you somehow didn't even realize it still existed when making this?

I don't get it, just another layer of incompetence somewhere in the chain.

Ascheroth

Wow, the new Bandai Namco US account on Steam just acknowledeged Kaldaien's post about the framelimiter and other stuff :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/412446292759260120/

So, official 60 FPS fix soon ?

Wow, that negative press sure got to them.
But why does this always have to happen after the damage is done?
Looks like the profound logic of the ones making the decisions for this port continues to escape the understanding of a mere mortal like myself.

Wow, that negative press sure got to them.
But why does this always have to happen after the damage is done?
Looks like the profound logic of the ones making the decisions for this port continues to escape the understanding of a mere mortal like myself.

They're using an easy strategy:
If nobody talks about it, especially not the press, it isn't even noteworthy.
They always do something when there is enough uproar, good thing that happened with ToS.

Another patch is out.
Tales of Symphonia - Patch Notes (2/5/2016)
Hello everyone - Please see below for the latest patch notes. We definitely appreciate the feedback and are continuing to monitor these forums. Thank you for the support!

Bug Fixes
  • Controller Button Icons
  • Addressed inconsistencies with legacy controller icons still showing up.

Achievements
  • “Zelos Harem Master” legacy typo fixed in all languages.

Mouse Support
  • Mouse Cursor icon hidden when in game

Localization
  • Menu Localization
  • Spanish & Italian switched in some menu options is now fixed.
  • Previously missing Save & Load menu options are now localized with their corresponding prompts
  • Exit Game menu option localization implemented
  • Text alignment polish on Exit Game prompts
  • Abbreviated some of the longer words in Keyboard Controls to avoid clipping with button textures.

Additional Notes
  • Some alignment and spacing issues still occur. Currently addressing.
  • We are also actively working on resolving the false-positive with AVG software. We'll keep you updated with any further progress here on the Community Hub.

Frozy

Neo Member
There is no reason, no idea why people buy this. It's like some people unironically just want to see this world burn and then complain about it.

Right now, this is true (except for those who got it as a free preorder bonus)
But in the future, assuming enough fixes will be made (officially or unofficially), this has the potential to become the best version of the game, as this version has the extra content from the PS2 version.
Until then, Dolphin is the best option.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not seeing much reason to pick this up when I could emulate my GCN version.

Is that really a bad thing? If anything it could be fun to mess with.
Heck, even in its original form on GC, it's better than the PC version (well, if you have a CRT or an upscaler).

thuway

It would be incredible if Durante could get the game to run at 60 FPS while Scamco rolls out patches that are fixing typos. In any case I'll just buy this game when its deeply discounted at a much later date and everything is fixed without tom foolery.

When will compnies realize realizing broken PC ports day 1 will effect their bottom dollar tremendously?

Dunkley

Heck, even in its original form on GC, it's better than the PC version (well, if you have a CRT or an upscaler).

It definitely doesn't upscale as badly as someone might think thanks to the relatively simple art style, and the framerate difference compared to the PS2/PS3/PC version is a definite plus.

Wow, the new Bandai Namco US account on Steam just acknowledeged Kaldaien's post about the framelimiter and other stuff :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/412446292759260120/

So, official 60 FPS fix soon ?

That account literally copied that exact post in another thread.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/458607699626558474/#c412446292760986846
It's just a usual PR bullshit, don't get your hopes up for 60fps fix before they remove that shitty DRM.

Kaldaeien has also shared his thought about this.
No, that won't be possible until somebody does something about the DRM protection the game uses. We need to run the game through a debugger and watch memory access patterns to be able to do the same sort of thing we did in Tales of Zesteria. VMProtect prevents that, because it's the same sort of technique people use to disable DRM :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Kaldaeien said there was a ridiculous amount of people that were requesting help with his TSFix that obviously didn't own the game (probably by looking at their Steam Profile Libraries).

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that response = "official 60fps incoming?" regardless of whether it's a copy/paste post or not.

It's posted in a thread addressing the stuttering which also so happens to have (the inevitable, lol) discussion of 60fps. Seems like they were acknowledging the stuttering and/or the hilarious issue of the game running at 40 instead of 30 under certain compatibility modes.

I've been known to be wrong before

rjc571

Banned
I really strongly disagree. (Incredibly strongly). But we know our relative views on image quality vs. framerate.

GC games have really good image quality when displayed via component on a 480p CRT. 30 FPS, on the other hand, can never be described as "really good". Especially not for an action-heavy RPG like ToS.

Mivey

I find rather interesting that the one of the modders (or maybe even the principal creator) of Tales of Zestiria fix is convinced that Symphonia seems to be using the same engine, simply by fact its execuable seems to work the same way (using the same/similar addresses for the same things). Could mean that future ports could be relatively simple, if they have the games running using the same toolset. On the other hand, it makes ToS' PC port woes so much weirder. Why not let the same people do both?

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
Kaldaeien said there was a ridiculous amount of people that were requesting help with his TSFix that obviously didn't own the game (probably by looking at their Steam Profile Libraries).

Steam forums display a mouse icon next to your name if you own the game the forum is for.

Durante

GC games have really good image quality when displayed via component on a 480p CRT. 30 FPS, on the other hand, can never be described as "really good". Especially not for an action-heavy RPG like ToS.
See, in my opinion anything rendered at 480 vertical pixels without AA can never be considered even remotely "good" IQ.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wait, so not only are they implementing so that the resolution alters the internal res, there's a possibility that they're looking into fixing the framerate as well? Not that I wouldn't use GeDoSaTo for this, the black outlines are an absolute must.

Maybe Kaldaien can make it work, if else, since he said it uses the same framelimiter as Zestiria. Let's hope there's some legacy 60 FPS code to use this time around as well.

Nairume

Banned
I find rather interesting that the one of the modders (or maybe even the principal creator) of Tales of Zestiria fix is convinced that Symphonia seems to be using the same engine, simply by fact its execuable seems to work the same way (using the same/similar addresses for the same things). Could mean that future ports could be relatively simple, if they have the games running using the same toolset. On the other hand, it makes ToS' PC port woes so much weirder. Why not let the same people do both?
I guess it might be a case of them seeing how easy these ports could be, so they decided to see just how cheap and lazy they could be with porting older stuff and get away with it.

Ascheroth

Wait, so not only are they implementing so that the resolution alters the internal res, there's a possibility that they're looking into fixing the framerate as well? Not that I wouldn't use GeDoSaTo for this, the black outlines are an absolute must.

Maybe Kaldaien can make it work, if else, since he said it uses the same framelimiter as Zestiria. Let's hope there's some legacy 60 FPS code to use this time around as well.

I doubt they are trying to get 60fps working.

And a mod won't happen unless Namco gets rid of that shitty DRM.

Talking about the shitty DRM, I found this on the steam forums:

Kaldaien said:
To be honest, the more I work on this mess, the more I am beginning to suspect that VMProtect itself is what you might consider malware. There is no legtimate reason for this game to use Microsoft's location services and send data out over the Internet evertyime you start it, and yet ... it does just that.

While it's not guaranteed that VMProtect is the one 'phoning home', it at least makes it impossible to determine who is responsible.

Edit: Apparently it was not VMProtect, but something Windows 10 did, though VMProtect made it harder to determine what actually caused it, so I think suspicions were justified : P

MegaPanda

I don't think it was Sculpin QA. Googling Arric Tan (one of the two programmers) results in his Linkedin page showing he worked on the port. He works at "The Studio of Secret 6".

FSLink

Banned
That probably warrants a new thread. Fuck Backbone/Other Ocean. They're also responsible for how shitty Ultra Street Fighter IV's PS4 port was at launch.

Top Bottom