• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

Vashzaron

screenshot_2016-02-04thocf.jpg

15 minutes. Including figuring out when and how they get drawn.
Admittedly, I could only do it that quickly since I'm quite familiar with cel shading approaches of that era (what they do is render the mesh again scaled out and with inverted culling).

Awesome.

I much prefer the game with the outlines.

Nanashrew

Banned

Admittedly, I could only do it that quickly since I'm quite familiar with cel shading approaches of that era (what they do is render the mesh again scaled out and with inverted culling).

Since people are asking about the framerate: if it's possible at all, that would most likely take more time than I'm willing to invest on this game.

This looks amazing!

Since people are asking about the framerate: if it's possible at all, that would most likely take more time than I'm willing to invest on this game.

Seriously, did you ever thought of opening a porting company ? You'd do a fuckin better job than a lot of these people.

Mivey

I'm guessing unlocking the framerate would require tinkering with the executable, so even if someone went through the trouble of figuring out how to do that without completely breaking the game, it would still require shipping a cracked exe as well, meaning it would a) get taken down and b) possibly get the modder into trouble. (The DRMs only job is to prevent changes to the exe, after all, even it is apparently easy to circumvent.)

I'm guessing unlocking the framerate would require tinkering with the executable, so even if someone went through the trouble of figuring out how to do that without completely breaking the game, it would still require shipping a cracked exe as well, meaning it would a) get taken down and b) possibly get the modder into trouble.

They did it for ToZ. Didn't made troubles to them.

KingBroly

Banned

You are fucking amazing.

It's beautiful ;_;

Mivey

They did it for ToZ. Didn't made troubles to them.
It didn't have this weird anti-tamper BS. They could (and did?) effectively write a patch-file that changes certain parts of the exe, but doesn't have to include it. So in copyright terms, everything is fine. But I'm not so sure you can just include a modified .exe that is freed from the DRM.

unreal

I'm almost tempted to buy this now
at 50% off
if they remove the DRM

Eila

Somehow I feel they are going to do a worse job than Durante did, with those character outlines.
Just take out the DRM and call it a day.

Somehow I feel they are going to do a worse job than Durante did, with those character outlines.
Just take out the DRM and call it a day.

It's a preference. As you can see, some folks here do prefer the outlines.
They'd better make a toggle for character outlines. That'll be perfect for everyone.

Falk

that puzzling face
Might as well make a toggle for DRM too. Some people may want the DRM and they're customers that paid good money for it.

Eila

It's a preference. As you can see, some folks here do prefer the outlines.
They'd better make a toggle for character outlines. That'll be perfect for everyone.

Indeed. I think it looks far better with those thick outlines like the original, so a toggle would be the best option.

Arthea

hey guys, give Bamco some slack, they already released two patches and working on more. I wish they removed that DRM first.

and we had no reaction from KT in any form, as I was afraid it'll end.

aravuus

Might as well make a toggle for DRM too. Some people may want the DRM and they're customers that paid good money for it.

Lmao

What's the DRM they use called? Sounds fucking absurd, it creates the actual game .exe again every time the game's launched or something?

Seriously, I don't get why they just don't contact Durante and let him fix this for money. That's called contracted work. I'm willing to bet that with source code access, he'll be able to do it in 1 hour and make it a good port. Sheeeeesh.

KingBroly

Banned
Seriously, I don't get why they just don't contact Durante and let him fix this for money. That's called contracted work. I'm willing to bet that with source code access, he'll be able to do it in 1 hour and make it a good port. Sheeeeesh.

They'd rather him do it for free.

Like I said before, he should send them a bill.

duckroll

Sounds stupid. Why go out of your way to acknowledge and pay someone for their work when they're more than willing to do it for free?

Sounds stupid. Why go out of your way to acknowledge and pay someone for their work when they're more than willing to do it for free?

Well... the logic would call that: Having the work done officially, rolling out with official patch, and not turn around and mods... but who am I kidding ? :p
If they were 1% serious, we wouldn't have run into these issues :p

prudislav

What's the DRM they use called? Sounds fucking absurd, it creates the actual game .exe again every time the game's launched or something?
well there is VMProtect dll in game folder , the normal exe has traces of Securom and the hidden exe created in temp has traces of Denuvo .... i guess some kind of DRMception mix

But instead of paying their port team to fix the port (I also think thats contracted work), why not contact Durante before the release of some japanese games for a small QA for some money.
I mean even if he didnt want to do it, asking would be a nice gesture.

I think Durante is kinda popular now when it comes to japanese PC game ports/fixes. They have enough money to buy some shitty DRM for a decade old game that everyone can already play on PC for free, if they want, but not do proper QA...

Thats the sad thing.

hey guys, give Bamco some slack, they already released two patches and working on more. I wish they removed that DRM first.

So why not do proper QA before? What they are doing now is actually what people who bought the game should at least expect.
This game had no QA at all from what I can see.

Look at small studios like Ghostlight Games or XSeed/Ifactory. For a lot of their games there is a closed beta available where such problems can easily be talked about and then fixed.

Lutherian

Is it me or the controls aren't trully analog ? With my 360 controller, Lloyd seems to move in eight directions only, it's not smooth at all.

Dr Dogg

Huh, that's really cool. I always wondered what the process might be after I've heard you say a few times that a 'toon' shader is one of the more simpler things to implement. Thanks for the info.

Gojeran

Refunded my copy last night. If it ever gets a 60fps patch and goes on sale I might consider picking it up again. Excellent work on the black outlines and everything else Durante, it looks great.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

That looks great. Apart from the 30 FPS lock, the PC port is now easily the best looking version thanks to the roughly 60 minutes (?) you spent with the game. Hats off to you, sir.

yeah, the fixes make this the definitive version of the game for me. Even if a 60 fps fix never comes out, I think i'd be okay with how the game is now.

No thanks to bamco, of course. I don't even understand releasing the game in this state, they had all the time in the world and this is the shit tier product they chose to put out there

Easy_D

never left the stone age
yeah, the fixes make this the definitive version of the game for me. Even if a 60 fps fix never comes out, I think i'd be okay with how the game is now.

No thanks to bamco, of course. I don't even understand releasing the game in this state, they had all the time in the world and this is the shit tier product they chose to put out there

I'm thinking they actually got the big-wigs to listen about the state of the port now that the fans have spoken out about the shameful state of the game.

I wonder if their own internal reso fix is gonna fix the post process effects though? Or the outlines?

Top Bottom