• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children [OT] Where FTP means 'For The People'

bitbydeath

rkRgnOt.jpg

jHxsryg.png

The Tomorrow Children is the story of a future re-imagined from the after-effects of an experiment in 1960s Russia that attempted to ‘sublime’ the human race, or meld all human minds into one global consciousness. Unfortunately it went wrong and decimated the planet, and it took the next 90 years for the few humans left to rebuild to the point where they have created you, the player, as a ‘projection clone’. You’re tasked with venturing out into ‘The Void’ to reclaim the human race and restore it to its former glory!

rNrfvkm.png

UevgREu.png

MTVWt7a.png

YCYkjXK.png

The early access Founders Pack includes the following premium paid content ($19.99, includes more than $30 worth of content):

• Bourgeoisie papers — This is your first step to becoming a resident of The Void. By earning the “rezidenty” status, player’s will have the privilege to participate in creating structures and items to build your town, access to new tools, and the ability to build your very own house within the town. Also includes five F2P invitations to send to friends.
  • Lv1 Arms License — Unlocks access to higher-tier weapons at the weapons dealer in town (purchase items with in-game currency earned by completing various labor tasks).
  • Lv1 Tools License — Unlocks access to higher tier tools at the tool dealer in town (purchase items with in-game currency earned by completing various labor tasks).
  • Eagle Corp. Jetpack — This high-end Black Market paid item will take you to new heights, allowing you to reach otherwise inaccessible areas on tops of “islands” to mine resources and find hidden items.
  • Special costume — “Miner Gear” costume to customize your in-game “projection clone” character.
  • Exclusive PSN avatar pack — This is a pack containing three exclusive PSN avatars limited to the Founders Pack.
  • 1000 Freeman Dollars — Currency that can be used at the black market to purchase a variety of high-powered weapons, tools, and more, and can also be used as bribes to government officials for quick personal benefit. (This is separate from the in-game credits collected from the town’s City Hall after completing various labor tasks, which are used at the normal vendors in town.)
  • Invites — Bourgeoisie Paper holders will also receive five invitations to send to their friends, granting them access to the F2P game client before full public release. Invited comrades can enjoy the F2P game for free, and upgrade their experience with the Founders Pack if they choose.

5Ppz4js.png

The Tomorrow Children will later become available to download for FREE.

0oxkvPn.png

And current founders will (later in an update in September) be able to invite up to 5 people to play prior to the launch of FTP.

9PcZLIN.png

There are five core resources necessary for expanding and maintaining towns; food, wood, coal, metal, and crystal. These have a variety of uses, and balancing these is essential to survival.

• Food: Grows on trees, and is necessary to keep citizens fed. Comrades can craft saplings to plant in town in order to keep a food source near, but…
  • Wood: Trees grow on certain islands, and saplings will also mature into trees. Wood is needed for building certain structures, and for repairing damaged structures.
  • Coal: Deposits are found on certain islands. Coal is used in crafting certain items, and to recharge Hover Cars.
  • Metal: Deposits are found on certain islands. Metal is used in crafting certain items, and to improve the Town Hall.
  • Crystals: Obtained by defeating Izverg. Small and mid-size Izverg will drop 1, 2, or 3 crystals when defeated, and large Izverg have crystal deposits inside their remains. Stationary Izverg will turn into crystal when defeated. Crystals are used in crafting items, and can be used to stabilize a portion of the Void by activating them with the Square button.
n2sgmUh.png

• Bourgeoisie Papers - Handbook proving registration as Bourgeoisie.
  • Arms Licence - Allows usage of firearms (Dynamite, Shotguns, and Rocket Launchers).
  • Tool Licence - Allows usage of tools (Jackrammers, Night Vision, and Stretchguns).
  • Vehicle Licence - Allows usage of vehicles (Jetpacks, Hover Cars and Hover Tanks).
5MhHLf0.png

• Dexterity: Affects work speed and critical hit rate
  • Fortitude: Affects max Phase Cohesion energy
  • Might: Affects weapon attack power
  • Patriotism: Affects Toil to Coupon conversion rate
  • Agility: Affects movement speed and power generation
  • Strength: Affects throw and kick power, allows you to carry more resources*
    *10 points to carry one additional resource

qkznMzV.png

Equipment:

• If you face downwards with the chainsaw you can use it to cut a circle beneath your feet, digging straight down.
  • You can climb ladders faster by holding down triangle.

Bus:

• While on the Bus you can use the shoulder buttons to change between cameras.
  • Placing items onto the loading area will automatically be picked up by the Bus, you do not have to manually load the Bus yourself.

Resources:

• The Town Hall can be upgraded by depositing Metal into it.
  • Crystals can be placed into the ground using square to help stabilize the void (sinking areas)
  • The mushrooms you find on the islands (which usually get sent back to town to provide lighting/decoration) can be eaten like fruit, giving you a temporary glow. Good for mining in the dark!
  • Resources can be kicked and thrown using the triangle button.
  • Stop wasting resources! Don't aim at the middle of a resource deposit, consuming it all in a single cut. Make thinner cuts, and pull 2-3 times as many resources from the same deposit. Or more!! Shovels are great for efficient shaving; stand on top, and start with a corner.

Ted7qar.png

CriEiSVW8AATvw_.jpg
CrnOYeAWIAEhrlK.jpg

CrnAZGqXYAECSnb.jpg
CroFEBPWcAAO1D6.jpg

BAmYMcI.png

Q-Games Official Site
TTC Twitter
What to do in your first 30mins
40mins of TTC Music
Tutorial Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eTd03iwa4E

6C4MWiU.png

dopan

Neo Member
Looking forward to trying it when it becomes free to play. I don't usually bother with games of this genre, or free to play games for that matter, but the incredible art style and all the hype building since the announcement and closed/open betas have convinced me to give it a shot.

Loved the beta of this but don't really have the time to be jumping into a game that's guaranteed to devour my time right now. Will get it once it hits F2P I think.

Great OT!

Ferr986

But isn't it free to play at launch today?

No, F2P is coming in the next months.

Nice OT! Just got it, landed in a pretty cool city. Got the vehicle pass with free dollars, because that one isn't included with the premium version for what I can see.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I love this amazing trend of free to play games forcing people to purchase them if they want to play them at release.

Yeah yeah, it's a "beta"... whatever. That doesn't prevent them from letting you spend money on the product.

So basically all the design baggage and milking garbage of a free to play game and you pay an upfront fee for the privilege of letting them abuse you.

So fucking cynical.

I love this amazing trend of free to play games forcing people to purchase them if they want to play them at release.

Yeah yeah, it's a "beta"... whatever. That doesn't prevent them from letting you spend money on the product.

So basically all the design baggage and milking garbage of a free to play game and you pay an upfront fee for the privilege of letting them abuse you.

So fucking cynical.

They are not allowed to put up a game in early access for free. Steam cant do it either. So either pay and get in early while development continues, pr wait for free to play. There is nothing shady here whatsoever.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
They are not allowed to put up a game in early access for free. Steam cant do it either. So either pay and get in early while development continues, pr wait for free to play. There is nothing shady here whatsoever.

They could easily wait until they are done making their F2P game before putting it on PSN.

It is extremely shady IMO.

EDIT: Or how about charging $1 which gives you $1 in fake money in their free to play alpha? Why in the hell are they charging $20 for a free to play alpha?

I just need some impressions. I'm not sold on it yet and I want to be sold on it. Even some more beta impressions would be nice.

Awesome OT. Thanks for doing it.

Played the Beta a ton and really enjoyed it, enough so that I don't have a problem dropping $20 for a Founders Pack. I will be interested how balanced it is in its final F2P form.

Hats off to Mr. Cuthbert and the entire team at Q-Games for bringing this game to the PS4. It's got a fantastic art style and has been fun to play thus far.

DryvBy

I just need some impressions. I'm not sold on it yet and I want to be sold on it. Even some more beta impressions would be nice.

I really enjoyed the alpha. It's kind of a do whatever you want game. It feels like a crazy 1984 MP game. I left the few hours I played thinking I played a game where I was a slave for a big government. I'm sure it's improved since the time I played.

RalchAC

They could easily wait until they are done making their F2P game before putting it on PSN.

It is extremely shady IMO.

EDIT: Or how about charging $1 which gives you $1 in fake money in their free to play alpha? Why in the hell are they charging $20 for a free to play alpha?

You can ask for a F2P Pass, I'm sure some gaffer would be kind enough to give you one or something.

Many studios developing F2P games have problems staying afloat because they don't get any money upfront. So they may be in a complicate situation if the game doesn't take off fast enough. Selling an early beta copy for 20€/$ reduces that stress.

If you are interested in the game, why not spending a few bucks? I'm sure you can take part of the money back selling the F2P tickets for 2€ or something.

I've been enjoying it even though I have no idea what's going on lol. I could never do the alpha or the betas just cause of the time constraints.

Chille

Just seeing it. Welp, that seems like a big oversight. Everyone is grinding levels lol

Lol everyone got bored in my town in the end, wish they would of stayed wanted the damn trophy lol

edit I will be doing the review for PSU

I've really been looking forward to trying this game. I had access to the alpha but didn't have the time to try it then.If any gaffer has a free pass to hand out, please PM me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Well it's F2P (eventually), but you don't have to be "sold" on it technically, as you can hold off for a bit and dive in when there's no risk to your wallet.

As for impressions, I played both the Alpha and Beta for about 10 hours total.

• At its heart, it's a resource gathering and crafting game.
  • You pick a town to join and try to be a productive citizen.
  • You take a regular-appearing tram to a randomly generated island where you can gather resources e.g. mine for metals, chop down trees for wood or shake them for fruit, etc..
  • Tools used to carry out tasks like mining, chopping, etc... have durability stats.
  • You can haul the materials back to town to put them in the collected resource pool that everyone in town can pull from to build structures to better the town, etc...
  • Monsters periodically attack the town and can be defended against by you and the other citizens. If you down a monster you can trek out to its body and mine it for resources.
  • Performing a number of different tasks i.e. being a hard worker, gets you brownie points with the town's administration. Eventually leading up to you leveling up your character and increasing its attribute points/bonuses.

There's a bunch more there, and a whole meta game surrounding the social aspects e.g. being able to finger someone as undesirable, but the bulleted above is basically all I did but had a really good time doing it. Resource gathering games like this and NMS are "zone out"/zen games for me, and taking my little person out to some whacked-out island, harvesting some ore and "doing my part" for the town, is generally very satisfying.

Ferr986

Lol everyone got bored in my town in the end, wish they would of stayed wanted the damn trophy lol

edit I will be doing the review for PSU

Already 12 lol I'm transporting resources and still getting levels from people emoting lol Looking forward for the review btw

Also, how did you access the black market? can't remember now, would like to see if i have enough dollars for an inventory space.

Chille

Already 12 lol I'm transporting resources and still getting levels from people emoting lol Looking forward for the review btw

Also, how did you access the black market? can't remember now, would like to see if i have enough dollars for an inventory space.

Just need to visit a tool shop, buy something? or just visit then press up on dpad.

I am not sure if you have to purchase, I had and then it popped up

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Buy something from the vendor. 300 bucks per pocket.

EGOMON

Nice OT Bitbydeath!
I think we should start PS4 community so that all gaf towns are communicated in one place

Ladekabel

Somehow this went under my radar. Looks nice. Would like to try it but I think I'll wait for the f2p version. This doesn't require PS+, right?

Game just crashed when trying to ride the train for the first time.

Thank god for betas

Edit: crashed two more times from pressing continue on the main menu. Had to pick a town from the main menu. Here's hoping I don't lose out on an item.

bitbydeath

I like that it is a game that you can drop in and out of, you can play for 5mins or 5 hours, leaving has no impact as your fellow townies will 'hopefully' keep it running while you are away.

It has an addiction though of making you want to do just 'one more thing' before you leave which can make it a time sink.

I enjoyed the beta and look forward to seeing it evolve.

I've really been looking forward to trying this game. I had access to the alpha but didn't have the time to try it then.If any gaffer has a free pass to hand out, please PM me, I would greatly appreciate it.

The free passes aren't available to be handed out until an update later this month. Stay tuned!

I literally have no idea what the fuck is going on in this game

This would have also made a great OT title.

Somehow this went under my radar. Looks nice. Would like to try it but I think I'll wait for the f2p version. This doesn't require PS+, right?

PS+ is not required to play online for this game.

Ferr986

Basically you have this city and have to improve it, you need to gather resources to build stuff, resources can be gathered from the islands popping outside the city, you can go there with the bus (look for a station inside the city). Once there you gather stuff and leave it to the bus stop on the island, and the bus will take them back to the city, where players will place each resourse in their own deposit (they're near the bus stop).

You can craft stuff with the work table placed in the city, you can also buy stuff in the shops like tools or weapons (you can create more shops with the table, also different buildings you may need). Also the matrioskas you find on the islands need to be taken back to the city and placed in their own building (surrounded by big red dots to place the doll) to create civilians.

There's also things like getting electricity for the city with the running machines (the red bar in the upper side of the UI is the energy level), or protecting the city from monster with the cannons )again, you can craft more or them).

Also keep checking the Ministry of labor building to get money for your work.

Theres more to it but this is basically the basics to start going.

Reule

First time playing the full game, my power goes out and my save corrupted. Luckily your progress is saved server side and syncs. First time I had a save corrupt.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

That's what i got from the time i spent on the beta, the basics are easy to grasp but the underlying systems are quite convoluted plus there was no real sense of a final goal of some sort which dampened my excitement. However i'm still intrigued because of the atmosphere, it's like this really weird dream. Maybe i'll buy the founders i haven't decided yet.

Top Bottom