• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trademark for The Last Guardian has been revived (i.e. alive) but it's still dead

iratA

Fact is this; every time Sony has had a chance to let this thing fall into obscurity they don't. Infact they do the complete opposite and revive hopes of the game being in production. It would just be silly at this point from a PR perspective. Believe.

Hex

Banned
xkV4CMw.gif

Elandyll

Banned
So do the deniers realize just how insane it would be for Sony to do this if they had indeed cancelled the game?
It's a long wait for sure, but counting that it's probably a small team working on it, and that it was at some point put on hold (and probably went through a platofrm transition), it isn't THAT surprising.

Imo, 70% chance re-reveal at E3, 30% at TGS.

This being said, If not this year ... then I don't know wtf is up at SCEJ.

Timeline:

2007 - supposed start of development for PS3
Jan 2008 - A job listing indicate that development is underway
March 2009 - Fueda interview confirming project
May 2009 - early footage shown, "Project Trico"
June 2009 - first trailer @ E3, Officially The Last Guardian
Sept 2009 - Second trailer @ TGS
Sept 2010 - More footage/ Scrennshots shown @ TGS - Ueda interview that game is now "in ful production mode". Projected release date is said to be "Holiday 2011"
Jan 2011 - first "tech" demo shown to press (embargo to talk about it until March)
Feb 2011 - Ueda mentions in an interview that the goal is to ship worldwide "by the end of 2011) but some key gameplay elements are still not locked in (e.g. HUD/ UI)
March 2011 - Ueda says he is considering including the TLG demo with the Ico/ SOTC collection
December 12th 2011 - Ueda announces he is leaving Sony, but remains a consultant for TLG. The game's executive producer also leaves at that time.
Feb 2012 - Yoshida says that development on TLG continues, but very slowly. Ueda still onboard, and with help from Santa Monica (purely technical).
June 2012 - Yoshida says the game is having "technical difficulties" which is why it is not showcased
August 2012 - Yoshida confirms that at some point the game was actually playable, but then some serious technical difficulties presented. 2013 was unsure at that point.
August 2012 - The trademark for TLG expires, but is then renewed
Feb 2013 - Ueda confirms he still is consulting on TLG as "creative director". Yoshida says they are waiting for the right time to "re-introduce TLG"
June 2013 - Tretton says that TLG is in hiatus right now, but has not been cancelled. Right after that Yoshida denies and says that the game is still "actively developped"
August 2013 - Ueda says in an interview that yes, the game is still in development, but that other projects at SCEJ have taken priority (Knack and Pupeteer are mentionned)
September 2013 - Yoshida says that the game is still in development, albeit helmed by "a smaller team" and is being "re-engineered", leading many to think it is or has been transitionned to PS4 (after months of such rumors)
March 2014 - Rohde confirms again that the game is being developped, and that they are very concious of the very high expectations
June 2014 - IGN reports the game has been cancelled. Rohde denies, and IGN later retracts and apologizes
December 2014 - Ueda says the development is ongoing after "things being ironed out with Sony, and working under new conditions"
Feb 2015 - The trademark expires in NA, but Sony files to renew it.

IF the game ends up being re-revealed at E3 for a summer/ fall 2015 release (crossing fingers), it will have been quite a ride indeed.

Amir0x

Banned
I just can't wait for the topic where it is confirmed to really be alive complete with announcement of PS4 version and extended gameplay video so this rodeo can finally come to a close :p

KoopaTheCasual

Fact is this; every time Sony has had a chance to let this thing fall into obscurity they don't. Infact they do the complete opposite and revive hopes of the game being in production. It would just be silly at this point from a PR perspective. Believe.
Honestly, this.

Do people really believe they're trying to cancel this game? Because they've had YEARS of opportunities to do so, and this one was one of the easiest. The only people with "conspiracy theories" at this point, are the people who think this game is dead.

However, I do wonder how much of the initial reveal/vision is intact/salvaged. I feel like (complete speculation) they probably tried to stay faithful to Ueda's vision but it led to an underwhelming experience, and they're currently trying to mix things up.

I just can't wait for the topic where it is confirmed to really be alive complete with announcement of PS4 version and extended gameplay video so this rodeo can finally come to a close :p
Col. Trautman: It's over Johnny. It's over!

Rambo: Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you!

Col. Trautman: It was a bad time for everyone, Rambo. It's all in the past now.

Rambo: For *you*! For me civilian life is nothing!

SDCowboy

Does anyone else hope that when/if this is finally shown, that they do a straight up 'oh one more thing' moment? It would be beyond glorious.

Bish with another victory. Sorry Kev, I'll take that red name that you've shamed.

Callin it, TGS 2015 (been saying this since 2013).

RPGamer92

Banned
When they finally re-reveal the game, they should totally act like they're ending the conference and bam out of nowhere, Jack Tretton walks up on stage and says "Hey House, I think you're forgetting one last thing". Room goes dark, clips from Ico and SOTC on screen and then... The Last Guardian trailer with a date at the end saying October 2015 worldwide!!

seat

Nice title change!

I'm getting tired of people saying "wait 'til E3 this year" or "TGS, believe" crap. They should bet on it if they feel so confident because they've been saying that same thing every year for the last five years. These people need to eat crow at some point.

weekev

Banned
At this point does anyone except Gaf even remember this game exists? Like is this Sony just trolling Gaf because they know that Gaf is the only place that will notice things like trademarks lapsing and being renewed and right now Shu is laughing his head off at how many last guardian threads there have been in the past 3 days.

At this point does anyone except Gaf even remember this game exists? Like is this Sony just trolling Gaf because they know that Gaf is the only place that will notice things like trademarks lapsing and being renewed and right now Shu is laughing his head off at how many last guardian threads there have been in the past 3 days.

Didn't the news of the trademark dying started trending on Twitter? I'd hardly say GAF is the only place that remembers this game.

Top Bottom