• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trial Of Peter Molyneux by RockPaperShotgun

Sure Molyneux is a pathological liar, but this is nothing but cheapshot cowardice from John Walker who is happily kicking a man whose reputation is lying in the gutter. That tweet about being brutal because it's player's money is really funny, he's being brutal because a)for hits for his ad-infested website, and b) he knows the current wave of negative opinion towards Molyneux provides him with some security when going for Molyneux's throat.

Like I said, a fucking coward.

alstein

Exactly. The #1 goal of this interview wasn't to uncover the truth or shine a light on this struggling project or developer. If those had been the goal, the tone would have been drastically different and the interviewer would have tried to get him to open up instead of immediately shut down. No, the goal of this was to drive as much traffic to RPS & towards John Walker's personal brand as possible.

This is what I keep coming back to. The audience gains nothing from this hostile interview style. Treating the interviewee like this didn't result in any knowledge that wouldn't be possible by asking the questions in a more professional tone. The only party that gains substantially from this is RPS, due to the heavy traffic.

It has been something like 15 years of the pathological lying/overselling of games down to the second before release from Molyneux! If anything we should be shocked that it took this long for someone to say that outright. It's hardly self-righteous... Maybe it would have been during Black and White or Fable. But not now, not in 20-fucking-15, when the guy is now taking funding directly from players. At this point it needed to be asked. After all, pathological liar doesn't mean worst person ever, it means you have a habit of lying even when you don't have malicious intent.

You've missed my point.

Here's how people think an interview goes:

*I sit down with the developers of Evolve*
Me: "You know your DLC plan is some shit, right?"
Dev: "You are absolutely right, but you have to understand..."

People believe that in "journalism", the interviewee just has to answer the question for some reason.

In reality what tends to happen is this:

PR: "This interview is over."

This situation with RPS and Molyneux? That's Oprah and Armstrong. It's not normal operating procedure. Molyneux came to the table willing to be raked over the coals. Most devs won't and even if they would, PR won't.

When I think of a respectful interview of a figure in gaming with hard questions, I think of Angry Joe's interview of Major Nelson at E3 2013. It can be done without starting the interview with an insult.

scitek

Credit to Peter for not hanging up and trying to answer the questions. I don't know that I'd have gone through with that line of questioning, but Peter certainly needed to hear it from someone (though not necessarily so publicly).

When I think of a respectful interview of a figure in gaming with hard questions, I think of Angry Joe's interview of Major Nelson at E3 2013. It can be done without starting the interview with an insult.

There were plenty of people demonizing Angry Joe and supporting Major Nelson as well.

B.O.O.M

Honestly..I didn't think that was overly harsh at all. In fact I think that's what a good interview should be like given the topic at hand. Very good RPS, good work

Alienous

Sure Molyneux is a pathological liar, but this is nothing but cheapshot cowardice from John Walker who is happily kicking a man whose reputation is lying in the gutter. That tweet about being brutal because it's player's money is really funny, he's being brutal because a)for hits for his ad-infested website, and b) he knows the current wave of negative opinion towards Molyneux provides him with some security when going for Molyneux's throat.

Like I said, a fucking coward.

Oh, I'm sure John Walker is doing it because it's his job, and not out of some altruistic motivation. But you can interpret his tweet just as easily as 'Well, now you dun really fucked up Molyneux' regarding player's money. That might just be Walker's own threshold for making someone a target.

Most projects have to do this and then hope that you get to the actual funding goal.

I asked for 30K on a board game that I knew needed 60K+ to actually deliver. I knew it was a risk, but had other forms of funding as a fail-safe if the project didn't get where it needed to get. He had to go to a publisher when it became clear he needed additional funds. That is more reasonable than just stopping production.

And if your alternate means of funding hadn't of came through for you, then you'd be subject to ridicule as well.

I don't have any fondness for Molyneux (I never played his games growing up and the types of games he makes aren't really to my taste), but I think this interview goes a bit far in places.

There is a huge, huge, huge difference between outright lying and not being able to deliver on a promise. I don't think Molyneux has ever claimed or stated something with the knowing intention of not being able and never trying to deliver on it.

His problem is that he makes (or made) lofty claims and had cruel reality crash down around him. Take him to task for that, absolutely, but to ask if he's a "pathological liar" because of it is crossing the line.

Does he not admit in the actual interview here that he both asked for less money than he knew would be necessary to make the game without a publisher despite previously saying the contrary (and even after getting more money over the stated goal) and intentionally made up features for journalists in order to get the campaign funded? If it's not outright lying it's at least blatant intellectual dishonesty and the kind of tactic he's engaged in repeatedly over the past decade. I don't buy the "cruel reality of game development" BS, the man has been in the industry for far too long and shipped far too many products to claim such ignorance. It is skirting so close to the line of outright lying and gone on for so long that it might as well be. This man took over half a million dollars and promised monetary compensation which has yet to be delivered. This article was totally on point.

inky

I asked for 30K on a board game that I knew needed 60K+ to actually deliver. I knew it was a risk, but had other forms of funding as a fail-safe if the project didn't get where it needed to get.

And you don't see anything wrong with that? Knowingly deceiving people to have your own instead of decently telling them what it's going to get to get this done?

You don't think people need to be called out when they do that and take advantage of people like that?

Peter deserved all of those questions, and while I appreciate some of the candor in his answers he still comes across as unreasonably hedging and vacillating.

When will the game be complete? When will Bryan Henderson start to accrue payment? Has that started already? When can he honestly expect to get paid? Are there no internal dates or projections that can be shared? Easter has been provided as a provisional date for one of several features that have to come to pass before the God of Gods mode can get started, so what are we talking about here? Where are the no-bullshit assessments?

And yes, the tone of the piece, right from the first line, was antagonistic. It put Peter off his guard, but after all of this time I don't think its unwarranted. RPS wanted to get something beyond the usual platitudes, and sometimes you have to disturb somebody's peace and equilibrium to start to shed some of the bullshit, spin and PR pufffery.

This feels more like a long overdue intervention than a character assassination.

Gestault

Would be for Chris Brown, or would it not?

For PM however no. He has not beaten anybody. But he overpromised and "expanded" the truth for years. So the liar question was harsh and maybe stupid, but not out of context.

Think about the implications of asking someone, on "camera," when they stopped beating their wife. It's not a Chris Brown reference. It's a common example of a shameful approach to journalism.

scitek

You can open with that question, but you should follow up with "Do you realize that's the public's perception of you?" or something along those lines. As a journalist, you're supposed to come off as impartial, but calling him a liar destroys that.

This feels more like a long overdue intervention than a character assassination.

That's exactly how I feel, but I question the public nature of it.

SeanTSC

You've missed my point.

Here's how people think an interview goes:

Dev: "You are absolutely right, but you have to understand..."

People believe that in "journalism", the interviewee just has to answer the question for some reason.

In reality what tends to happen is this:

PR: "This interview is over."

This situation with RPS and Molyneux? That's Oprah and Armstrong. It's not normal operating procedure. Molyneux came to the table willing to be raked over the coals. Most devs won't and even if they would, PR won't.

I'd rather interviews abruptly come to an end like that in the chance someone would have the balls to answer the question than get nothing but the ridiculous amount of utterly useless PR fluff shoved down our throats that we get now. The filtered marketing "interviews" that flood "Games Journalism" now are absolutely useless to consumers.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That's... not a good thing. In fact it's horrible. You rely on people's charity and then deceive them? The whole point of not keeping the money if you don't hit the goal is to prevent projects from wasting backer's money on an endeavor that can't succeed. You shouldn't be trying to bypass those rules. How do you think your backers would feel if they found out they'd been taken for a ride? "Everyone else does it" is not an excuse.

Those are some pretty big words to be throwing at someone.

I had a line of credit for more than enough money and was willing to dip into that to make my project happen. There is no requirement that 100% of funding come from Kickstarter funds.

B.O.O.M

Peter deserved all of those questions, and while I appreciate some of the candor in his answers he still comes across as unreasonably hedging and vacillating.

When will the game be complete? When will Bryan Henderson start to accrue payment? Has that started already? When can he honestly expect to get paid? Are there no internal dates or projections that can be shared? Easter has been provided as a provisional date for one of several features that have to come to pass before the God of Gods mode can get started, so what are we talking about here? Where are the no-bullshit assessments?

And yes, the tone of the piece, right from the first line, was antagonistic. It put Peter off his guard, but after all of this time I don't think its unwarranted. RPS wanted to get something beyond the usual platitudes, and sometimes you have to disturb somebody's peace and equilibrium to start to shed some of the bullshit, spin and PR pufffery.

Well said

This is proof of how bad game journos have become. This was nothing more than a game journo acting like a journo (ok a bit of a jerk, but that's how journos should be), instead of treating it as a future job interview.

If more game journos were as honest and direct as this maybe they'd have some actual credibility and wouldn't be so reviled as a general rule.

If every journo acted like a jerk, no one would ever trust them enough to give them any information whatsoever, leaving us with an even more misinformed public.

Maxim726X

This is proof of how bad game journos have become. This was nothing more than a game journo acting like a journo (ok a bit of a jerk, but that's how journos should be), instead of treating it as a future job interview.

If more game journos were as honest and direct as this maybe they'd have some actual credibility and wouldn't be so reviled as a general rule.

This can hardly be called journalism, it's badgering. A shame, because there is some good stuff in here, but instead we're focusing on the tone.

That's good journalism?

MrxDemix

Banned
Wow, that interview reminds me of so many internet trolls. Do people really forget that game developers are people too? I mean, the interview treated him like absolute crap.

They fear it may happen to them as well.

The development community will likely side with Molyneux on this because ... he's not unique in the industry. Everyone has worked with a Molyneux. Everyone has had multiple managers that have over-promised and under-delivered. These types of developers exist in the thousands. They're usually not lying - which is saying things they know to be untrue - they are embellishing and exaggerating because they are genuinely excited about the project and product. They are usually the most enthusiastic people on the team. They always want to do crazy shit that's outside the scope of the project. However, most of these people are kept in check by PR or publishers. Though not always. If you knew how many times a Director went out onto the stage and talked about a feature the team wasn't planning on doing - your jaw would be on the floor - because it happens all the time. We're in a creative industry where people want to be as crazy-creative as possible - but are ultimately limited by cost, scope, publisher oversight, etc. When our vision is cut short by those limitations - it doesn't make us liars. When the limitations of doing business force changes to the vision - that doesn't make it a lie.

So yes, we constantly say things that will ultimately (and even likely) not be 100% accurate by the time of release. And to see someone be dragged over the coals for it - and see gamers cheer for it - is absolutely terrifying.

watership

You can open with that question, but you should follow up with "Do you realize that's the public's perception of you?" or something along those lines. As a journalist, you're supposed to come off as impartial, but calling him a liar destroys that.

I'm starting to feel bad about what's going to happen to RPS rep after this. It's great PC site.

alstein

This can hardly be called journalism, it's badgering. A shame, because there is some good stuff in Herr, but instead we're focusing on the tone.

That's good journalism?

compared to the slop we usually get it is. It could have been a little more skillfully done, but gotta take integrity when you get it. Most game journos view it as a stepping stone to a PR job.

Wow, that interview reminds me of so many internet trolls. Do people really forget that game developers are people too? I mean, the interview treated him like absolute crap.

Happens on GAF constantly when people get their Two-Minutes hate going.

Mael

I don't know about individuals, I know about companies, Sony, MS, EA, Ubisoft, etc. Why does it need to be individuals?

And they're taken to task on that.
Still at least they don't go on KS asking for money while having no idea whatsoever about they'll be able to pull it off.
Heck remember Killzone 2?
that's pretty much PM's MO for the last 10 years.

Lucumo

Maybe the site is getting hammered? Still loading fine for me.

Apologies if you already saw it in previous post: http://web.archive.org/web/20150213...yneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

Weird.

Thank you a lot. Will be interesting to read, I hope.

So is RPS getting hammered with traffic? I tried earlier this morning and just now, and I can't connect to the link in OP. I really wanna read this.
Go with that fine link that I quoted.

Trey

Call Molyneux incompetent all you like, but when you call him malicious, I object. Everything I've seen and heard of him indicates he's got the enthusiasm & naivety of a little kid. He's not trying to scam anyone. Someone with ill intent would have heard that first insult and immediately called the whole interview off.

as backhanded as a defense comes, lol

Alienous

That's the trickiness of interviewing someone like Peter Molyneux.

A typical interview doesn't garner much more than deflection or outright lies from Molyneux regarding these tricky topics, and at this point given his reputation for exaggeration you can't be sure what the truth is. Walker tried a more aggressive approach, and that seem fairly ineffective at getting real answers from Peter "'ll never tell a lie" Molyneux.

I feel like the only way you could really get something to hang you hat on out of him would be to interview him at a pub after a few drinks.

Wereroku

Ha, well I'm just part of one team, but I can safely say we'd never agree to an interview with RPS after this.

That's cool with me. I don't think people should do it if they feel uncomfortable however you have to agree that it won't dissuade a lot of people.

I'd rather interviews abruptly come to an end like that in the chance someone would have the balls to answer the question than get nothing but the ridiculous amount of utterly useless PR fluff shoved down our throats that we get now. The filtered marketing "interviews" that flood "Games Journalism" now are absolutely useless to consumers.

But what point is that making? What information does that impart?

Branduil

This can hardly be called journalism, it's badgering. A shame, because there is some good stuff in here, but instead we're focusing on the tone.

That's good journalism?

Maybe it says more about the gaming community that we so readily lap up the PR bullshit devs feed us but get outraged when someone calls the most pathological example out on it.

Wereroku

Those are some pretty big words to be throwing at someone.

I had a line of credit for more than enough money and was willing to dip into that to make my project happen. There is no requirement that 100% of funding come from Kickstarter funds.

No but he did say that the game would not involve publishers. If your kickstarter had promised not to use outside funding would you have still set the bar well under the needed amount with the hope of it going above?

This is a really assy interview. I've got no love for Peter Molyneux, but you can ask tough questions and give a hard interview without being a dick to the guy who's taking time out of his day to talk to you. Maybe some honest discussion could have happened and he would discuss some of his past shortcomings, but they immediately open with hostility so Peter gets defensive, which sets a bad tone for the whole interview.

Top Bottom