• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trial Of Peter Molyneux by RockPaperShotgun

megalowho

Going through the interview now, and John Walker kind of comes off as a huge douche most of the time. Perhaps because he's incredibly naive about how the development process works in a video game.

Like really...Molyneux deserves to be harrassed because a kickstarter game is late?
I think the excellent Double Fine Adventure! documentary (still currently in progress) should be required viewing for folks that are interested in this topic for a raw look at how things don't always turn out the way you plan for when it comes to game development. Lots of similarities to this particular situation as well - respected old school dev with strengths in creativity and ideas but project management not as much, a kickstarter campaign and the responsibilities that are tied to fan funded projects, in depth look at the development process, the roles of the team and the hurdles that come up, having to alter plans due to over ambition, internet outrage from the perspective of those on the receiving end. It's all pretty fascinating and transparent stuff whether Broken Age is up folks alley or not, much more than a source of PR for the game. I learned a lot more about the grey area between a developer making a statement and the realities they face to achieve their goals than I did from this article, at least.

BibiMaghoo

I think the funny thing about Molyneux is that, yeah, he overpromises his games and lets the hype get away from him sometimes, but its not like he's got a track record of release bad games. A lot of his Bullfrog works are all-time classics, and most of the Lionhead work have generally been well received. Its clearly a case of Molyneux having too lofty of goals that become unrealistic when development happens rather than a case of Molyneux willfully deceiving his people to generate hype. For Walker to outright accuse Molyneux of being a writer is just pathetic.

Godus is the exception. It's the first major game of his that is actually just not a good game at all, on top of the usual PM routine. I think that matters somewhat, because under delivering a good game, still leaves people with a good game, and so not really a failure. Godus is currently a failure of a game.

it's really hard to get through the milo presentation and come away with this stance. really, really hard.

"Look at what just happened. Clare drew a picture on a piece of paper, the piece of paper was held up to Milo, Natal recognized the piece of paper, scanned the piece of paper in, Milo looked at that piece of paper, recognized the shape, recognized the color, and was able to get on with his project."

"This is true technology that science fiction has not even written yet. This works. Today."

I cringed just reading that.

Softballers? What about people with real mental health issues? How would they feel if a journalist's first question in their interview was about that? I know one person who was offended, and with good reason. It also sets the tone in a very emotional way, as you can see both of them being like that throughout it. I am a developer and, if I do something bad, both the press and consumers should call me out on that. But respect should be expected, especially in an interview, not a first question about mental health.

Mental health has nothing to do with it. Considering that Molyneux's entire reputation for the last few years has been "promise first, let down later", there's no foul asking him if he believes himself to be someone who lies constantly.

Regardless of the answer, he proved that moments later when he started spinning every statement around.

The way people are acting in this topic (including a moderator), you'd think someone kicked their dog. This kind of journalism has been around in various forms, as mentioned (The Daily Show, British interviews, etc). Sometimes the only cure is tough love, and RPS hit it right on the nose.

Nobody complains that Jon Stewart was being too harsh when he railed at Jim Cramer for leading people to invest in bad funds - they praised Stewart for it. The video game industry is no different. If you fuck up repeatedly, you should be called to task for your remarks. You're not any more special than a politician, actor or any member of society. Whether he's just one developer is irrelevant.

Gestault

But do you really think a journalist should do that? How would you feel in Peter's shoes? Regardless of what you think of him, what he has or hasn't done, how would you feel if the first question of an professional interview was about your own personal mental health?

Your use of the term mental health here borders on insulting to the actual field of mental health. I agree that it was poor form for the interview, but it's spurious to claim it was an attack on the grounds of mental health.

ito007

I don't see why its so surprising that someone, even one working in the industry as long as he has, doesn't know how much it takes to make a game

draetenth

I thought the interview as refreshing myself. IMO, Molyneux needed to be called out. I get the impression he is surrounded by "yes" men and not enough people to reign him in on his promises. Even as I read the interview, it just seemed like Molyneux kept trying to dodge each question...

We need stuff like this to break the cushy/unethical relationship between publishers and "game journos."

There's a reason games journalism is seen as a sham. This could start a movement to crash the shill journalism and have unchained reporting and news rise. The people have to want it, though. I want it!

Really? You want terribly unprofessional interviews that basically amount to name calling and antagonistic/disrespectful questions?

Axass

I shouldn't get ahead of myself here, I'll download and try it out myself, but looking at the App Store and the Google store, the game is not only already out, but already receiving solid reviews (4+/5 stars).

I should also mention that I don't look at features getting cut as necessarily a bad thing. Features constantly get cut out of games, I think the crime is mostly when a feature is promised, and then not implemented. Not because this wasn't best for the game overall, but because it just disappoints fans.

The interviewer was talking about the PC version, which is still in early access and has "mostly negative" reviews: http://store.steampowered.com/app/232810/

Also the problem here is exactly that they promised lots of stuff and aren't delivering on it.

Peter Molyneux said:

Tidal waves affecting winds affecting weather patterns of the planet... come on. He's either a big fat liar or the most delusional developer in history.

Also, have fun: http://godus.boards.net/thread/348/collecting-lies-promises-unanswered-misleading

Ants

Incredible respect to John Walker here. This is actual, true journalism. Something we don't get a whole lot of in the video games industry. He's asking the questions most people are too nice to ask, but that everyone wants answers to.

Hm I am conflicted, not sure which I despise more is it RPS or Peter ? If I had my way I would like to see both RPS and Peter out of this industry, neither seem to contribute anything significant to it anymore.

As for Peter it is just best to ignore every single damn thing he says. There is no need for death threats or a huge campaign against him. Just ignore his bullshit, stop giving him "benefit of the doubt" and stop giving him your money. If people do that then Pete will soon go away like a bad yeast infection treated with Ski Yoghurt.

Lucumo

This is how I would have conducted the interview.

Alienous, getting to the heart of the matter, seeking the truth. I should be a games journalist.

Please don't. You would just waste people's time.

Loved that part:
Peter Molyneux:[...]You can– I’ll tell you what, this is what we’ll do John, I’ll put you on Find A Friend, on Apple, and you can see exactly where I am every moment of my day.

RPS: OK, honestly Peter, I don’t have an Apple product and I don’t want to know where you are at any time.

Anyway. I can sympathize with both of them and can see their points. In the end though, John's are much closer to reality.

Guri

Mental health has nothing to do with it. Considering that Molyneux's entire reputation for the last few years has been "promise first, let down later", there's no foul asking him if he believes himself to be someone who lies constantly.

Regardless of the answer, he proved that moments later when he started spinning every statement around.

The way people are acting in this topic (including a moderator), you'd think someone kicked their dog. This kind of journalism has been around in various forms, as mentioned (The Daily Show, British interviews, etc). Sometimes the only cure is tough love, and RPS hit it right on the nose.

Nobody complains that Jon Stewart was being too harsh when he railed at Jim Cramer for leading people to invest in bad funds - they praised Stewart for it. The video game industry is no different. If you fuck up repeatedly, you should be called to task for your remarks. You're not any more special than a politician, actor or any member of society. Whether he's just one developer is irrelevant.

Your use of the term mental health here borders on insulting to the actual field of mental health. I agree that it was poor form for the interview, but it's spurious to claim it was an attack on the grounds of mental health.

It is one thing to ask someone about lying. Another completely different thing if you ask about pathologically lying. That's not something you can control. And I am not insulting. Like I said, people with mental health issues have been offended by that question.

There are better ways to get the answers John Walker wanted.

By the way, everyone should read this: Game development is f***ing difficult, my thoughts on that Peter Molyneux interview.

kungfuian

Don't think Peter's a bad guy but he's kind of guilty of having his mouth write checks his ass can't cash. This is always going to catch up with you in the end.

Just shut the f up already and make some good games! And when/if you do decide to talk about them it's ok to be enthusiastic but a healthy dose of humility sprinkled in might be nice. Maybe follow the "under promise, over deliver" strategy. It can't be that hard to do can it?

And if you can't control yourself then find/hire a pr spokes person who can!

Very fine line to be walked when asking these types of questions. My final judgement would depend on an audio version to determine the tone of the question-asker but regardless I applaud them for having the balls to ask the questions they did.

JesseZao

Really? You want terribly unprofessional interviews that basically amount to name calling and antagonistic/disrespectful questions?

I hate "preview/hype culture" journalism, so I don't visit game sites, because that's "all" they produce.

This kind of interview is more "honest" to me as a reader and respects my intelligence. I'd rather hit the issue head-on, than just get my chuckles from perpetuating a meme, year after year. Break the cycle.

gogosox82

I know it very well, I love that whole thing. But John is not a journalist, he's a comedian/satirist , and they were interviewing HIM. There is a big difference here. Huge difference.

You are responding to that segment though. Are you really going to claim that he was being nice and consolatory here? He wasn't trying to be funny. He was completely serious and they just didn't know how to take it because they thought he was going to crack jokes about politicians and maybe them, not tell them they are ruining America with their crappy show.

LoveCake

I came here for this,

Peter Molyneux: Let me just ask you one question. Do you think from the line of questioning you’re giving me, that this industry would be better without me?

RPS: I think the industry would be better without your lying a lot.

Peter Molyneux: I don’t think I lie.

How can he not know how much money it costs to make a game, you set a budget it is that simple, the reason Peter doesn't know how much it costs to make a game is because he keeps moving the goal posts & saying that the 'game' will do this & that.

Bollocks

lol what a "game journalist".
people calling for more non bullshit interviews, this is not the interview you're looking for.
I would have hung up on that dickhead on the very first question.

It is one thing to ask someone about lying. Another completely different thing if you ask about pathologically lying. That's not something you can control. And I am not insulting. Like I said, people with mental health issues have been offended by that question.

Spare me your faux-outrage. Even with the link you posted, I doubt that was what Molyneux was thinking when he was asked that question, and besides, those symptoms sound suspiciously familiar to Molyneux's modus operandi.

There are better ways to get the answers John Walker wanted.

Sure, but at this point, I'm guessing that most of the outlets (Eurogamer, The Guardian, RPS) who are interviewing him are fed up with his bullshit. No need to sugar-coat it at this point.

I think you can ask hard questions without coming off as a douche.

Like this:

"Do you understand how someone would come to the conclusion that you are a liar?"

"Based on these facts do you see how some customers may think these are all excuses?"

"How can you earn the trust of your fans?"

Don't get me wrong, I think we need to make authority figures answer, but I think you can be nice and respectful about it.

"Do you think you are you a pathological liar?" is not a good way to deal with another human being in any situation.

And if you think I'm too nice,
fuck you
you are god damn right I am.

Can't remember the last time someone did a real interview that is calling devs out on bullshit. Game journalists are basically pr mouth pieces who know that their jobs are pretty much obsolete, so they try their hardest to lick boots in the industry so they can be community managers or something else when they lose their jobs.

I've always liked Peter Molyneux. I love watching him talk, because he's so passionate about what he does. I remember posting on the official forums for Project Ego (Fable) and being really excited for everything that was promised. Even though Fable didn't come close to those promises, I still thought it was a great game.

I didn't feel this interview was too harsh. I was expecting something much worse from reading some of the comments here. I enjoyed it. People should be held accountable for the things they promise, especially when those promises lead to others spending money.

Axass

I see he's a "genuine and ambitious guy" getting thrown around a lot as a defense, even if that was the case, ambition isn't inherently a good thing if you can't ever follow up on it and keep letting people down.

Miyamoto DOES NOT go around promising impossible things, however he's a much bigger icon in video games, he's made a bigger impact in gaming, and I'm sure he's just as ambitious as Molyneux.

Molyneux isn't ambitious, because he doesn't even seem to actually try and implement what he promises: maybe you can call him a dreamer, though being too detached from reality isn't that good a quality when you run a business and have to make a consumer happy through your creations.

You look at the 2015 Most Anticipated Games on Neogaf thread and about half of the games in there were also on the 2014 Most Anticipate Games thread. The vast majority of developers have no clue how long it's going to take them to finish their game.

That's fine and dandy if you have a publisher backing you up, when you promise a release window to get money from your fans it's a quite different matter.

Draft

Holy shit another crybaby missive about how game development is hard. You know what's hard? Work. A job. Everyone's job is hard. Everyone has deadlines. Everyone has budgets. Everyone fucks up those things all the time. The erudite game dev doesn't need to come down the mountain to explain how tough it is writing code every time one if their peers gets taken to the woodshed. Ever since the kickstarter backlash it's become unbearable.

I can believe Molyneux has no clue how much making a game really costs. He's been in the industry for 30 years, but on the creative side. I've known dozens of creative people who are very successful in their line of work, but have absolutely zero idea how the business of it works. If they had to try and create a budget for a project, it'd either be ridiculously low or outrageously high.

But he does know. In fact, in the interview he says that people seeking funding on Kickstarter aim lower than you know you need in order to get funding. This implies he purposefully low balled to succeed on Kickstarter, knowing full well his needed budget was higher (meaning he knew his budget). Also, he's been in the industry for what 30 years? If he's been designing games for that long I have imagine he should know how to budget. This isn't someones first project, he has run studios.

NickFire

"Do you understand how someone would come to the conclusion that you are a liar?"

"Based on these facts do you see how some customers may think these are all excuses?"

"How can you earn the trust of your fans?"

Completely useless questions. The guy is a 30 year veteran well versed in PR spin. His answers would be:

No
No
I think my fans already trust me.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but I think the interview was needlessly confrontational. There is a way to ask the hard questions without coming across like that.

Dude if I said as much untrue shit as he did on a regular basis my closest friends would be giving me that kind of a thrashing until I died.

He completely deserves it.

Chinner

Banned
I imagine the same people defending him are the same people who keep buying broken Activation and EA games at launch despite being burnt the previous time.

Actually maybe everyone should do this, just interview people like an antagonistic douches, you'll get the praise from the forum-goers who love industry members getting their comeuppance, but then you get to watch their confused reactions when industry members just do interviews much less and stick to pre-approved interviews on PR releases.

Guri

Spare me your faux-outrage. Even with the link you posted, I doubt that was what Molyneux was thinking when he was asked that question, and besides, those symptoms sound suspiciously familiar to Molyneux's modus operandi.

I'm not here to question if he is a (pathological) liar or not. I've talked about what I think of Molyneux and his way of handling stuff in an earlier post. Find it if you want that. My issue here is related to that first question only. It changed how the whole interview was made. It was not professional. It was emotional. And it was what John Walker was thinking when asked that. If you want proof, here is a later bit of the interview:

RPS: My first question wasn’t, ‘Are you a Machiavellian and spiteful liar’, it was ‘Are you a pathological liar?’ It was, do you say stuff that isn’t true without meaning to?

Actually maybe everyone should do this, just interview people like an antagonistic douches, you'll get the praise from the forum-goers who love industry members getting their comeuppance, but then you get to watch their confused reactions when industry members just do interviews much less and stick to pre-approved interviews on PR releases.

So the status quo? I mean most interviews and articles are just PR and hype machine stuff. I fail to see what would change.

I hate "preview/hype culture" journalism, so I don't visit game sites, because that's "all" they produce.

This kind of interview is more "honest" to me as a reader and respects my intelligence. I'd rather hit the issue head-on, than just get my chuckles from perpetuating a meme, year after year. Break the cycle.

What part of the name calling and childish attitude of the interviewer did you feel "respected your intelligence"? I found the interview to be horribly embarrassing. It's possible to conduct an insightful, mature interview without treating the other person like an asshole.

Top Bottom