• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wait is over - First PS3 Ad

weepy

rs7k said:
Freeform, Sony has enough of a pedigree that it doesn't need to prove itself. If this were a Nintendo ad, it would be the dumbest thing ever, but because it's Sony it doesn't need to prove anything. I love the Xbox and all, but you have to realize that it's a lot harder to sell the sequel to a system that prematurely died right after Halo 2 was released than to sell the successor to the most successful console of all time. Besides, it's a trailer for movie theaters. Therefore, the ad is better off without game footage (that we've all seen anyway).

The ad surprised me when I saw it in theaters and it's really effective because you don't see it coming, and when you do, you realize how big the PS3 is gonna be, and how much people want it. Sony's hype machine is perfect in every way.

...most ppl might applaud Ninty's bold approach in marketing something like that seeing as most of their commercials are too...blunt and straightfoward. Here's hoping the Wii commercials show the same creative incentive.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Fight for Freeform said:
Read up on marketing? I've taken Marketing classes.

I hope that counts!

No, I think it's a great ad, and I know exactly why it's effective, I agree with rs7k and I've already explained the purpose of this ad. I'm joking when I said it was "bad", but I think that was pretty clear.

Like I said, I think it's ridiculous.

So which one is it sir? The professor seems to have this commerical done pat.

FightyF

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Just curious, what do you think a cool PS3 ad would me?

Isn't it obvious? I'd rather there NOT be a PS3 ad, I'm an Xbot, remember? I'm just doing my job bro.

mckmas8808 said:
So which one is it sir? The professor seems to have this commerical done pat.

*LOL* Your last 2 posts...you gotta fix them up. They don't make sense.

Yay! 11.17.06 means an end to 13-year-old little boys! Yay! They're all gonna be taken away! And wow, kids, of all people in a CM for the most expensive console gaming hardware and none of them look like they come from families that would fork over $600... Unless the boys are the little brother sacrifices so that their other brothers don't have to sell drugs to afford a PS3... Ahh, that makes sense.

Baryn

Banned
Awesome, awesome commercial. The Xbox 360 ads featuring people who were living out games were entertaining, but they didn't "inspire to consume" the way Sony's ads virtually always do.

There are ads that are effective in selling a product and there ads that just entertain you. This ad didn't really do either... Wasn't that entertaining (i.e. I don't feel compelled to watch it again) and it doesn't tell me much about the product or make me want to buy the product.

Thats why I would consider it a poor commercial... but I don't think its that bad because it is just a teaser.

Safe Bet

Banned
Neko Tsukimi said:
Yay! 11.17.06 means an end to 13-year-old little boys! Yay! They're all gonna be taken away! And wow, kids, of all people in a CM for the most expensive console gaming hardware and none of them look like they come from families that would fork over $600... Unless the boys are the little brother sacrifices so that their other brothers don't have to sell drugs to afford a PS3... Ahh, that makes sense.
*cough*

The Boy is a Metaphor...

*cough*

Sony's ads are preety amazing for Japanese audiences I bet and they are always very different and original but they rarely hit the mark too well with American audiences IMO.

Runningflame570 said:
Sony's ads are preety amazing for Japanese audiences I bet and they are always very different and original but they rarely hit the mark too well with American audiences IMO.

This is much closer to their early PS2 commercials (Signs and the Old Woman ad) which is when they were at their best. So its good that they're getting away from the PSP ads which didn't do much at all.

mckmas8808

You guys do know that Sony wins the best awards like every year for their Playstation ads right?

delete.jpg

LM4sure

Banned
That ad was ****ing shit. Show a game or something. I don't care to see all these depressed little kids standing on roofs. LAME!

weepy

Baryn said:
Awesome, awesome commercial. The Xbox 360 ads featuring people who were living out games were entertaining, but they didn't "inspire to consume" the way Sony's ads virtually always do.

That's because Sony's ads are usually self-indulgent.

Sony using Brian Eno? Boy, they sure do like ripping MS off, don't they?

...? When? What commercial?

White Man

weepy said:
That's because Sony's ads are usually self-indulgent.

...? When? What commercial?

Brian Eno was the composer of Win95's "The Microsoft Sound."

On creating the Windows 95 start-up sound for Microsoft:

* The idea came up at the time when I was completely bereft of ideas. I'd been working on my own music for a while and was quite lost, actually. And I really appreciated someone coming along and saying, "Here's a specific problem -- solve it." The thing from the agency said, "We want a piece of music that is inspiring, universal, blah-blah, da-da-da, optimistic, futuristic, sentimental, emotional," this whole list of adjectives, and then at the bottom it said "and it must be 3 1/4 seconds long." I thought this was so funny and an amazing thought to actually try to make a little piece of music. It's like making a tiny little jewel. In fact, I made 84 pieces. I got completely into this world of tiny, tiny little pieces of music. I was so sensitive to microseconds at the end of this that it really broke a logjam in my own work. Then when I'd finished that and I went back to working with pieces that were like three minutes long, it seemed like oceans of time.

Note that I was being silly with my original comment.

mckmas8808

civilstrife said:
Wake me up for PS9.

PS9.jpg

How many people here hated the PS9 commerical? Did you guys think that Sony was trying to actually sell a PS9 before the PS2? :lol :lol :lol

Yoboman

f_elz said:
bleh, i couldn't tell what they were trying to sell in the ad.
Many would not know its the ps3.
Alot of Sony ads don't, esspecially in Euroland. It's an effective tool to get people asking about what the ad is, and in turn about the product.

This is hands down, the most retarded ad to come from Sony. Yes, even more retarded than the recent PSP ads. You'd think Sony would at least show me the console. SHOW ME THE CONSOLE!!!!!111[/Jerry Maguire]

mckmas8808

ferrarimanf355 said:
This is hands down, the most retarded ad to come from Sony. Yes, even more retarded than the recent PSP ads. You'd think Sony would at least show me the console. SHOW ME THE CONSOLE!!!!!111[/Jerry Maguire]

Did you want Sony to show you the Playstation 9 console 6 years ago?

I still think with the design of the PS3 the best type of teaser would be to take the movie "2001: a Space Odyssey" and replace the monolith with the PS3. Basically have those monkeys going ape-sh*t around the thing, and then say something like "Yeah... its finally here." Have that kickass orchestra music too...

It would make me buy a PS3 at launch.

Yoboman

Karma Kramer said:
I still think with the design of the PS3 the best type of teaser would be to take the movie "2001: a Space Odyssey" and replace the monolith with the PS3. Basically have those monkeys going ape-sh*t around the thing, and then say something like "Yeah... its finally here." Have that kickass orchestra music too...

It would make me buy a PS3 at launch.
A nice idea, but don't use that slogan :lol

Yoboman

Playstation's advertising success has entirely been built on advertising without ever showing the product or game in question... That usually undermines the advertisement itself. Don't act like Sony doesn't know what they're doing, or that this hasn't worked for them in the past because it has.:)

tHoMNZ

roffle sony has lost it
they think an over priced console is the second coming

if my computer had an ad it would be twice as epic
and it'd use sigur ros (they rule)

:lol

Yoboman

Karma Kramer said:
Yeah that part was kind of a joke...lol

"Are you ready to take the next step in evolution?"

Playstation 3

How about that?
Better. I always get a kick out of references like that.

Vyer

mckmas8808 said:
Did you want Sony to show you the Playstation 9 console 6 years ago?

Man you are all over this thread. Lot of effort for just an ad.

Anyhow, I think it is a cool ad. However, it plays on the same sort of thing Sony has played on before; pure hype and nothing else. It should be just as successful this time around, but who knows. Liked the 'all the kids on the rooftops' ending.

Coop

Vyer said:

Anyhow, I think it is a cool ad. However, it plays on the same sort of thing Sony has played on before; pure hype and nothing else. It should be just as successful this time around, but who knows. Liked the 'all the kids on the rooftops' ending.

He's all over any thread that is slightly negative towards sony. it's unbelievable.

That old lady never gets old. :lol

mckmas8808

Vyer said:

It's called typing. It's not hard to do. Looks like me and you agree. :)

Top Bottom