• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Warhawk Beta Summer of Awesome (PS3)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kev said:
Yeah so something's wrong with the game, cause I'm good at it.

The only nice kill on me there was Jb's nice swooping run, but he JUST made it. Flak turret is nuts.

I mean it was like me with 21 pts and everyone else with 3.

lol

Jazar, I see you dropped from the DM when it was about to end and rejoined the next one. Was that a freeze?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, I haven't froze yet.

Must be rewarding awesome players.

edit: why are the teams so unbalanced and why is my team not capturing territories

edit: just froze.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kev said:
Yeah, I haven't froze yet.

Must be rewarding awesome players.

edit: why are the teams so unbalanced and why is my team not capturing territories

edit: just froze.

come back in, I'm still up

BTW, Dylan just posted this:
Quick Update Everyone:

The team here at Incognito and our QA team in San Diego are currently working through various configurations of servers, clients, firmware versions, debug and release builds etc.

Our hope is to get a public BETA patch ready ASAP.

We know that it must be something that we are doing wrong because typically SONY is *incredibly* good about backwards compatibility -- so, we just need to figure out the problem on our end. This is evident also by many of you posting with feedback that both R:FoM and MotorStorm work fine with firmware 1.8.

I'll keep you guys posted!

I love this guy

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Awesome. Just froze twice in the last ten minutes so good to hear about a patch right about now. :lol

I really hope the beta is longer than June 26th. :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
careksims said:
I'm trying to find your map TTP and its not showing up on the server list ;/

You sure you got the Region option set to ALL? (in the Filters section)

Name: MSC_off_CHAT_off
Max players: 32
Ranked: No
Team kill: 0%
Voice chat: Off

Oni Jazar

TTP said:
lol

Jazar, I see you dropped from the DM when it was about to end and rejoined the next one. Was that a freeze?

Yep froze and just froze again. Media Server off did jack and shit.

Did the server die?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oni Jazar said:
Yep froze and froze again. Media Server off did jack and shit.

Damn.

Well, at least MSC_off+Chat_off combo seem to do the job for the host. Albeit it might also be the Un-ranked status of the server.

As soon as this map rotation ends (7 mins circa), I'll recreate another dedicated server, still MSC_off, still Un-Ranked, but with voice chat enabled this time.

I'll call it MSC_off_Bloody_Marcel.

I'll check the squad balance thing in order to be sure it's checked.

EDIT: LOL NEVERMIND IT JUST FROZE. 1:37 A NEW RECORD!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
New server up. I'm playing this time :)

MSC_off_Bloody_Marcel

All ZONES
Chat is on
Players: 32

Y2Kev

JB1981 said:
Wow I'm so done. It froze on me at the loading screen after creating a game. The loading screen. Jesus.
:lol

at least jobe is fixing it. It's a great game I think. I think there needs to be a super weapon to take out the turrets. Or maybe some kind of pulse to disable them for a few seconds. Or jam them or something.

I mean I like walking all ovah yo' mommas ass, but that was a little lopsided there

still really dissapointed that we never got to see the Single-player finished....as it stands now, there isn't alotta context or history to whats taking place in the game, so it makes everything feel a bit generic....

and I really wanted to play the dude in the old trailers as well :)

...hopefully the MP will take off and convince the right people to go back to the SP :)

Yeah, the game, when it works, is about as much fun as I've ever had with an online multi-player game. Chasing after some poor footsoldier in your Warhawk, and having to book it real fast when it turns out the footsoldier came across an RPG... good times.

calder

Y2Kev said:
I think there needs to be a super weapon to take out the turrets. Or maybe some kind of pulse to disable them for a few seconds. Or jam them or something.
I'd love it if you could easily see manned turrets in the TOW cam. You can see enemy air units but (unless I'm crazy) you can't see ground units marked. Being able to more easily see if a turret is active would be a great benefit to the TOW and make it even more fun, there's nothing as satisfying as hovering behind your defended base and taking out the enemy base's turrets.

Y2Kev said:

at least jobe is fixing it. It's a great game I think. I think there needs to be a super weapon to take out the turrets. Or maybe some kind of pulse to disable them for a few seconds. Or jam them or something.

I mean I like walking all ovah yo' mommas ass, but that was a little lopsided there

MAybe some sort of shield that deflects all incoming fire for a period of time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think the game is balanced fairly well like that. If I can't get past a specific turret, I just spawn into a tank and take it out from the ground. Shakes things up a bit.

Y2Kev said:

TOW

You just have to be a bit sneaky.

Tanks, rocket launchers, and flamethrowers will also do nicely. I haven't done it myself, but the sniper probably works well too.

Y2Kev

My Arms Your Hearse said:
TOW

You just have to be a bit sneaky.

Tanks, rocket launchers, and flamethrowers will also do nicely. I haven't done it myself, but the sniper probably works well too.

I was firing into a cloud on Destroyed Capital because some missile turret was firing at me in a flak turret. I couldn't get him though with the sniper rifle. :\

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, someone kept TKing me or something when I was on the GAF game =/ I'd turn around in my own base, full of red team and I'm dead because some jackass was playing with a knife or something. Un-fun. password the games please. =/

dfyb

Banned
i just had it freeze on me... in between games. i have a feeling it happens when someone tries to join and there's some sort of conflict.

garrickk

I just posted this at the official beta forum. I'll probably get flamed, and it's probably been discussed to death but I haven't seen a real discussion of server hosting qualification.
-------------
First of all, my internet connection "tests" through Warhawk to be able to support 32 people. Great for me. I am supposed to have a 6Mbps download speed, and only 384Kbps upload. Typical tests at DSLreports.com show around 300-350Kbps actual upload.

Even while running a dedicated server (ranked or unranked), my bandwidth can't properly supply more than 8. I watch people slowly add to my server and monitor how the ping values are fluctuating. The first 1-9 people or so will often have ping ranges under or around 100. As soon as the number of people climbs higher than 9 or 10, that number starts to balloon. By the time it hits 20-24 people, the average ping is 300+. I know ping values in this beta can be a little "off", but for the most part, if you are not getting 0 or 9999, they seem to be mostly correct.

Many, many people are running servers like this. If you are hosting a game and the average ping that you see is 150+, do everyone a favor and stop hosting or reduce the maximum number of people. I've joined dozens of games that start out running smoothly and everyone is having fun, but as soon as the number of people climbs over a dozen, it turns into a lagfest (not just for me - I watch the ping values). The system also seems to crash soon thereafter.

On some servers, people will have pings in the 60-100 range with a few people, and then it will climb to be over 1000. Crappy. Clearly, they should not have been qualified to host that many people.

Incog needs to beef up their qualification tests for what people can and cannot host.

dfyb

Banned
i'm hosting a 32 player dedicated ranked game now. 12 people in so far and pings look fine for now.

edit: just jumped up to about 16 people

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Y2Kev said:

TOW missile says sup.
You can easily take out turrets with a TOW missile if you arent a knob.

I just played 4 or 5 matches straight with no freezes it was great, Zones battle valley on Eucadia was just wow, i was in a tank at the choke point at the beginning of the round wow that was a blast, missiles and bullets flying past my head taking out mutliple people at once, freaking awesome.

dfyb

Banned
took the dedicated server down. wil be creating a lsiten server with 20 spots

MCS_OFF_[M]ayhem

game froze... dunno if i'll rehost

I3rand0

gketter said:
So how's the performance been tonight with everything turned off? Better, worse or about the same?
About the same, you'll play one match with no problems and get hooked then lock up multiple times the next few matches.

JB1981

garrickk said:
I just posted this at the official beta forum. I'll probably get flamed, and it's probably been discussed to death but I haven't seen a real discussion of server hosting qualification.
-------------
First of all, my internet connection "tests" through Warhawk to be able to support 32 people. Great for me. I am supposed to have a 6Mbps download speed, and only 384Kbps upload. Typical tests at DSLreports.com show around 300-350Kbps actual upload.

Even while running a dedicated server (ranked or unranked), my bandwidth can't properly supply more than 8. I watch people slowly add to my server and monitor how the ping values are fluctuating. The first 1-9 people or so will often have ping ranges under or around 100. As soon as the number of people climbs higher than 9 or 10, that number starts to balloon. By the time it hits 20-24 people, the average ping is 300+. I know ping values in this beta can be a little "off", but for the most part, if you are not getting 0 or 9999, they seem to be mostly correct.

Many, many people are running servers like this. If you are hosting a game and the average ping that you see is 150+, do everyone a favor and stop hosting or reduce the maximum number of people. I've joined dozens of games that start out running smoothly and everyone is having fun, but as soon as the number of people climbs over a dozen, it turns into a lagfest (not just for me - I watch the ping values). The system also seems to crash soon thereafter.

On some servers, people will have pings in the 60-100 range with a few people, and then it will climb to be over 1000. Crappy. Clearly, they should not have been qualified to host that many people.

Incog needs to beef up their qualification tests for what people can and cannot host.

I see your logic but I've had the game freeze up on me while I was playing by myself and when loading the first map in a rotation of games (i.e. the first game didn't even start yet)

garrickk

JB1981 said:
I see your logic but I've had the game freeze up on me while I was playing by myself and when loading the first map in a rotation of games (i.e. the first game didn't even start yet)
It really don't think it's a freezing issue (well, couldn't help), but a lot of people are running servers that can't handle the bandwidth. Of course there are freezes as well when there are few people (or none) playing.

1. The bandwidth requirements from Incog need to be increase regarding the number of people a server can host. Or, in the very least the requirements for hosting a Ranked server.
2. If your server is degrading in quality as more people join it, reduce the number of people you allow. Hopefully, Incog helps a little bit here with stiffer requirements to begin with.
3. This is only a beta - no time to panic but time to improve
4. There are some outstanding servers. When the software is released, there will be many, many more. There are a lot of altruistic people with great network connections who WILL host good servers. There are some people here that do so. No reason to play on crappy ones.
5. If Incog releases a free download on the PSN store for a Warhawk server only (no ability to play), there will be even more altruistic people who will host games.

Treo360

People who are having a difficult time taking out turrets and the such are not using the artillery strikes.

This one game I stood by the artillery strike weapon (binoculars) and kept raining death upon the unsuspecting turrets/missile platforms, and he collateral damage is awesome as it will take out nearly everything within it's blast radius.

dfyb

Banned
yeah there are plenty of good choices for dealing with turrets. they help balance the game, which i think warhawk does a great job with. warhawk is very balanced -- unlike bf2, where vehicles = godmode.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dylan Jobe has said that a new version of Warhawk for 1.8 that they're happy with has been finished, and submitted to QA for testing today. He doesn't indicate what kind of turnaround QA has, but I guess maybe a patch/new version by Monday might be possible (?)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gofreak said:
Dylan Jobe has said that a new version of Warhawk for 1.8 that they're happy with has been finished, and submitted to QA for testing today. He doesn't indicate what kind of turnaround QA has, but I guess maybe a patch/new version by Monday might be possible (?)

Awesome. Man, Dylan is quickly becoming the next Jaffe (ie I love this guy).

dfyb

Banned
i see a couple of you in my server. let me know how it performed. i'm located in tx btw

i'm going to sleep soon :lol

Top Bottom