• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Warhawk Beta Summer of Awesome (PS3)

Ploid 3.0

VonGak! said:
Why Jaffe?

Maybe because he's answering the beta testers one on one, well a bit less than one on one, unless he's replying in threads to stuff. I hear few other devs do this (Blizzard and wow?) and wish more did.

VonGak!

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Maybe because he's answering the beta testers one on one, well a bit less than one on one, unless he's replying in threads to stuff. I hear few other devs do this (Blizzard and wow?) and wish more did.
Oh I didn't know that CAC had a BETA like this (outside the studio), sorry. :)

And agreed there should be more extensive BETAs where the user inputs are taken seriously.
Warcraft 3 was almost completely revamped with all the changes made to accommodate the "testers".

freeza

Banned
Too all Warhawk BETA testers who are experiencing problems -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just in case some of you dont read the beta forum.

Quote:

To All BETA Testers:

We have been working on the stability issues that you all are experiencing and fixing it is of critical importance to the us!

As you all know, firmware 1.8 was released *right* before our BETA went live and, as you all can imagine, we did not have time to test the Public BETA with that version of the firmware. We had been testing it internally with version 1.7 and we were really happy with the stability -- occasional crashes but for the most part damn stable with servers running for days straight! -- certainly not the crash frequency that you all are experiencing

So...I would like to ask all of you to help us tonight with a coordinated test:

As you may have read here on the Warhawk BETA forums, some people have experienced more stable games when they disable the new media sharing feature of firmware 1.8. This can be done by going to the XMB under Settings --> Network Settings --> Media Server Connection --> Disable.

The team and I would like to request that as many of you as possible make this change tonight, play, and then report back in the morning about what you experienced. Was it better? Worse? Did your PS3 transform into a robot and destroy your apartment (anything is possible). If so, please take pictures of the robot and post them to the forums!

The more people that can help with this test the better!

If you are hosting a server tonight with this disabled, please start your server name with "MSC_off" so we and other players know if your server has the media server connection disabled.

I'll be running a server tonight with firmware version 1.7 so keep an eye out for a server named "FW_17_INCOGNITO_DEV".

Again, we would like to apologize for the annoying crashes and thanks to all of your help, we'll get these issues resolved. I've said this before but I'll say it again, this is a true public BETA -- not a game demo that we just call a BETA because BETAs are all the rage

Thank you all -- Good Luck Tonight!

-dylan

garrickk

DenogginizerOS said:
I disabled that the first day it came out. Hasn't helped me any. :/
In his latest posts, Dylan did say that turning MSC off produced little to no effect on stability, that they do have a patch which improves stability, and that the patch as been sent to Sony for Q/A testing. The patch stuff was posted by gofreak above.

Dylan_Jobe said:
Stability Update:

The team made great progress tonight with a version of the Warhawk public BETA built for firm 1.8

We are very happy with the results and have passed a patch to our QA team in San Diego for testing tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for helping with the testing tonight. In the end, the MSC changes seemed to make only a relatively small increase in stability and even that is arguable given the statistically small sample. Some of you reported better stability, some of you didn't. That happens sometimes :)

Thanks again for your help everyone and we'll keep you posted!

Dylan_Jobe said:
Quick Update Everyone:

The team here at Incognito and our QA team in San Diego are currently working through various configurations of servers, clients, firmware versions, debug and release builds etc.

Our hope is to get a public BETA patch ready ASAP.

Aeon712

DenogginizerOS said:
I disabled that the first day it came out. Hasn't helped me any. :/
I didn't know you could disable it, I hated that stupid icon. Now it's gone :D and it hasnt helped my Warhawking and why hasn't that post about getting in been deleted? It also helps people pirate psn games.

PuMa

So there is this huge debate over in the Warhawk Beta forums on whether or not the game should keep Auto-Aim for ground combat. By ground combat I meant on foot, firing pistols and rifles.

I'm not sure how much detail regarding the actual gameplay I can get into here, but what is the general consensus regarding Auto-Aim here among my fellow GAFfers? Would you rather a 3rd person or 1st person shooter to have some sort of Auto-Aim or no?

Jobe seems to be taking feedback very seriously, so our comments on the beta boards may have an effect in the final product.

Jim

PuMa said:
So there is this huge debate over in the Warhawk Beta forums on whether or not the game should keep Auto-Aim for ground combat. By ground combat I meant on foot, firing pistols and rifles.

I'm not sure how much detail regarding the actual gameplay I can get into here, but what is the general consensus regarding Auto-Aim here among my fellow GAFfers? Would you rather a 3rd person or 1st person shooter to have some sort of Auto-Aim or no?

Since it's in 3rd person, and the game does not solely focus on the infantry, I think it works fine. If it were first person and you spent most of your time on foot, I wouldn't want it.

Ploid 3.0

VonGak! said:
Oh I didn't know that CAC had a BETA like this (outside the studio), sorry. :)

And agreed there should be more extensive BETAs where the user inputs are taken seriously.
Warcraft 3 was almost completely revamped with all the changes made to accommodate the "testers".

When I said "well he's answering the beta testers" I didn't mean Jaffe. People asked Jaffe stuff about past games he was involved with. None of Jaffe's games had a public beta test. I used wow and it's not in beta yet still devs talk to the gamers and interact.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PuMa said:
I'm not sure how much detail regarding the actual gameplay I can get into here...
Jeez, are we still worried about NDAs? Nobody signed or accepted one. Talk freely.

but what is the general consensus regarding Auto-Aim here among my fellow GAFfers? Would you rather a 3rd person or 1st person shooter to have some sort of Auto-Aim or no?
So far, I haven't seen that auto-aim has done much to artificially enhance my targeting skills. I've been a mediocre sharpshooter in just about every FPS and 3rd person shooter that I've played online and Warhawk is no different for me. In fact, I almost feel like I do worse in Warhawk than in other shooters.

KTallguy

Banned
Jim said:
Since it's in 3rd person, and the game does not solely focus on the infantry, I think it works fine. If it were first person and you spent most of your time on foot, I wouldn't want it.

I like the Auto Aim with pistols and rifles, simply because you're in third person. Missiles and Sniper Rifles shouldn't have auto aim, and they don't.

Doesn't stop me from sniping fools halfway across the map tho :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's interesting, actually. If you are in the correct range, the autoaim is really ruthless. All you have to do is pull on the trigger as fast as you can. I think it makes pistols more effective than ANY other weapon.

I like it though.

garrickk

Jim said:
I like it overall, but it needs to be toned down a bit - not removed. Why is everything all or nothing? I mean, the pistol can stay glued to people on occasion. And the AA canons are bad (well, this may be their area of effect more than anything).

Dylan Jobe has a poll thread asking if auto aim should be a server option. However, if it is, what will be the default for ranked servers?

Other tweaks: Dylan also posted that they will remove (set to 0%) team damage on CTF maps by default. I don't like removing team damage for any reason. You shouldn't just fire without thinking towards teammates. Now AA canons can just blast at anything in the air without thinking. As it is now, if a teammate is dog fighting with someone, I would have to hold off on firing and let them settle it (if they're close).

I just want to see missile locks take longer to acquire - particularly with the hand held rockets.

Ploid 3.0

My RPG almost never hit warhawks unless they are in hover mode. They're not so powerful. Still takes like 2 1/2 shots to kill a warhawk.

spwolf

handheld rocket launcher should just have slower re-load time, thats it.... if you are 10 hrs into Warhawk, balance is really good already....

while turrets and missile launchers are deadly to warhawks, it is only first time... 2nd time they are mine...

Jim

garrickk said:
Other tweaks: Dylan also posted that they will remove (set to 0%) team damage on CTF maps by default

Way too much team killing apparently in CTF. You have the flag and am about to return it, and your asshole "teammate" then shoots you in the back to get the score himself. Yeah yeah, remember to play with people you know, but still.

Couldn't they just penalize the team killer somehow to make it not worth it?

spwolf

Jim said:
Way too much team killing apparently in CTF. You have the flag and am about to return it, and your asshole "teammate" then shoots you in the back to get the score himself. Yeah yeah, remember to play with people you know, but still.

definetly... like autoban people with -10 for next 10 minutes or so.... if someone gets enough bans on ranked servers, ban him from playing for a day or so...

garrickk

Jim said:
You can't be too punitive because accidents do happen.

Well, this would require more coding, but how about if you TK the flag carrier, you can't pickup the flag.

JoJo13

Banned
Jim said:

I know that they already have in place an auto-boot system where if you kill yourself to much the game will auto-boot you out of a game. :lol

Ploid 3.0

Yes tell them to make it so you can't pick up the flag if you TK your flag holder. ALthough that might have people working together to .. ok yea it won't be worth it playing against organized TKers hah.

Wollan

Just installed. The first thing I noticed is that the game has THE BEST MENU EVER CREATED.
Okay that's all, I'll be going undercover from now but know that I am active and participating.
I'm not sure if there's a NeoGAF clan and if that feature is enabled yet but send me an invite if it is active.

Wollan said:
Just installed. The first thing I noticed is that the game has THE BEST MENU EVER CREATED.
Okay that's all, I'll be going undercover from now but know that I am active and participating.
I'm not sure if there's a NeoGAF clan and if that feature is enabled yet but send me an invite if it is active.

SAWWWEET WOLLAN IS IN!

KTallguy

Banned
Wollan said:

WB :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:

Welcome to the freezing party!

spwolf

Wollan said:

gaf2 is still open I think, so mod send him invite.... I wanna play with someone that is on during similar times as me... msg me if you need anything through psn.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wollan said:

awesome, can't wait to fight you in warhawk.

garrickk

Has anyone played on any of the Earlybird servers? They are all excellent and very stable for the most part. I just got done with 50 minutes of TDM on weird map variations. I sustain a 70-90 ping on all of the Earlybird servers I try regardless of the number of people in them.

Who do you think is hosting these servers? Is it Incog? Is "Earlybird" the given name because they have access to "early" server tweaks?

jiggle

Couldn't download the beta until now that I can go online again with PS3.

Played in 2 maps (before the game froze ><) and had a lot of fun, even though I was confused half of the time...

I know i'm missing something when it comes to controlling the aicrafts though... it's so slow moving? I can see incoming missiles and can't fly out of the way fast enough...

jiggle said:

Played in 2 maps (before the game froze ><) and had a lot of fun, even though I was confused half of the time...

I know i'm missing something when it comes to controlling the aicrafts though... it's so slow moving? I can see incoming missiles and can't fly out of the way fast enough...

Boost by double tapping R2

SpudBud

jiggle said:

I'm guessing you were in hover mode. Next time press triangle.
edit: Ok maybe not.....

KTallguy

Banned
jiggle said:

Make your own game passworded and just practice flying for 15 minutes. You'll get it.

kaleii

Another eurogaffer here looking for an invite. :) Should we start a eurogaf clan, or join an existing one?

PSN: kaleii

PS360

Banned
PuMa said:

Jobe seems to be taking feedback very seriously, so our comments on the beta boards may have an effect in the final product.

They could decrease the reticule or whatever but turning auto-aim completely OFF would make ground combat tedious and impossible.

The way the characters move (change directions and start/stop on a dime) you would not be able to hit a ****ing thing. I wish the people in that forum would THINK for just a second about that.

This is not a f'in simulation. It's a very arcadey shoot 'em up.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PS360 said:
They could decrease the reticule or whatever but turning auto-aim completely OFF would make ground combat tedious and impossible.

The way the characters move (change directions and start/stop on a dime) you would not be able to hit a ****ing thing. I wish the people in that forum would THINK for just a second about that.

This is not a f'in simulation. It's a very arcadey shoot 'em up.

well said.

ChryZ

Finally in. Played 2h and 3x freeze-ups on random servers. Those earlybird servers on the other hand rock, played 90 min without any issues and just stopped because it's getting late here.

PS360

Banned
ChryZ said:
Finally in. Played 2h and 3x freeze-ups on random servers. Those earlybird servers on the other hand rock, played 90 min without any issues and just stopped because it's getting late here.

Getting late? Aw, you PUSSY!

Sincerely,
Haze

kaleii

PS360 said:
Getting late? Aw, you PUSSY!

Sincerely,
Haze

It's 3AM, and I've worked all week. Time for some sleep. But I'll be back for more warhawkey goodness tomorrow, you mark my words :)

Top Bottom