• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The weekly Translate-it-yourself Famitsu news thread (fun for the whole family!)

ethelred

I'd actually never heard of Umihara Kawase before, but from jiji's description, it sounds really cool. Can't see much in that mag photo, though. Hopefully the clean scans look a bit better.

I don't have a problem with how Away looks. It's got highly stylized characters, which is what I would've expected from Naoto Oshima... and I'm glad that the action portions of the game are overhead perspective and not 3D. ARPGs are always better in 2D.

Edit: Oooh, new Valkyrie scans, too! Sweet.

duckroll

ethelred said:
I'd actually never heard of Umihara Kawase before, but from jiji's description, it sounds really cool. Can't see much in that mag photo, though. Hopefully the clean scans look a bit better.

I don't have a problem with how Away looks. It's got highly stylized characters, which is what I would've expected from Naoto Oshima... and I'm glad that the action portions of the game are overhead perspective and not 3D. ARPGs are always better in 2D.

I don't think the problem is with how they look in his illustration, but the 3D renditions look.... pretty awful.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
There's an episode of Game Center CX featuring Umihara Kawase, I suggest everyone watch it!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
I don't think the problem is with how they look in his illustration, but the 3D renditions look.... pretty awful.
Yeah it's definitely the 3D, all the screens on the bottom half of the second pic look awful.

ethelred

duckroll said:

I don't think the in-game representations look as good as Oshima's artwork, but I don't think they look "awful," either. 'Course, I managed to acquaint myself to the graphical style of Giftpia and Chibi Robo, and this is sort of the same thing. I'd also like to see how everything animates, too.

jj984jj said:
Yeah it's definitely the 3D, all the screens on the bottom half of the second set of pages look awful.

Oh well. They don't look awful to me.

duckroll

So, the actual dungeons in Away.... it's a little odd. It seems that all floors are 2 screens wide, and one screen shuffles at a time when the timer goes to 0. Seems kinda puzzle-ish as opposed to the dungeon crawling style I was expecting. Good to see that the attack button is A and not TOUCH though. :D

ethelred

Kyoufu said:
Another crappy Famitsu week :(

I'd say this is a pretty good week.

duckroll said:
So, the actual dungeons in Away.... it's a little odd. It seems that all floors are 2 screens wide, and one screen shuffles at a time when the timer goes to 0. Seems kinda puzzle-ish as opposed to the dungeon crawling style I was expecting.

That's excellent. Like I said, the idea of the dungeons shifting around you sounds really cool (of course, the devil's in the implementation). If they are puzzley, combined with Soul Blazer-styled rebuilding, that could be a lot of fun.

duckroll said:
Good to see that the attack button is A and not TOUCH though. :D

Heh. Yes, very glad about that. And again, glad the dungeons are overhead with 2D gameplay.

theultimo

duckroll said:
So, the actual dungeons in Away.... it's a little odd. It seems that all floors are 2 screens wide, and one screen shuffles at a time when the timer goes to 0. Seems kinda puzzle-ish as opposed to the dungeon crawling style I was expecting. Good to see that the attack button is A and not TOUCH though. :D

jiji said:
Button Mashing with Track + Field/Hyper Olympic. One of my faves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tsLcgAgKOU&feature=related

soul

Thanks for the translations, everyone. Glad to see that although FFIV didnt get a 10 it still scored high. can't wait for it!

jiggle

img77_cloud.jpg

anyone getting this?

duckroll

Linkzg said:
im not that familiar with the concept of the Game Center CX show, but do they dont tell him the controls of the game? he does seem to realize you can extend and pull in.

He has full access to anything someone who buys the game does, including the manual. He doesn't always read all of it though. :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Away sounds great...and this Soul Blazer talk makes me wish for a compilation of the trilogy on the DS. I know it wont ever happen though =(

Mdk7

Where's WiiFit? :/

WOW @ Patapon, that sounds so fucking cool... Don't make me buy another PSP, PLEASE. ;_;

duckroll

ethelred said:
Why are people so obsessed with Famitsu reviewing Wii Fit? Jesus.

They can't accept the reality that it's really a non-game that most gamers and game magazines don't give a rat's ass about.

Mdk7

ethelred said:
Why are people so obsessed with Famitsu reviewing Wii Fit? Jesus.
I wanna see internet melting down, that's it. :D

Personally i could care less about WiiFit BTW, i do like Wii Sports (for multiplayer reasons) but WiiFit...well, no thanks.

theultimo

duckroll said:
Armored Core For Answer (PS3/Xbox360):
Lovin the great sense of scale and the new missile launcher. Hopefully FROM can keep what they did right in CH, and what they did right in AC3, to mix them in AC 4.

EDIT VVV Missed that part :D It DOES sound like a mix of CH and AC3.. AWESOME.

Baryn

Banned
duckroll said:
Armored Core For Answer (PS3/Xbox360):

What...

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

From The Raven's Haven:

For a start, each area will be around 20km square, they are going all-out to emphasize scale in relation to immense mobile fortresses. There will also be online co-op(!) and the series will finally feature playable mecha that are fully transformable.

That entire paragraph is pants-changingly good, but :O at the bold!!

duckroll

A bit more info about Away:

- You have to go into the dungeons, find a villager, rescue him, and escape from the dungeon. So it's a two way journey.

- The dungeons are divided across the two screens, and a timer appears on either side to indicate when that screen will "shuffle" into a different screen. The player must not be on that screen when it shuffles or he will be damaged. If you are damaged in this way while rescuing a villager, the villager will return to the bottom floor of the dungeon.

- The story of the game revolves around a village with a curse that has been going on for 100 years. Each year someone disappears mysteriously. As a young boy named Sword, you enter the dungeons via pillars of light that you find, and attempt to rescue the villagers who have been taken "away", by bringing these people back they will expand and develop the village while introducing new shops to be used as well as unlocking more story events.

- The game is 85% complete and seems to be ready to meet the 28th Feb release date.

Matix

duckroll said:
Armored Core For Answer (PS3/Xbox360)

I actually enjoyed AC4 for the 360, than again.. I'm a AC fanatic as well ;P

So yea, hopefully AC4: For Answer comes stateside soon, definitely will check it out.

duckroll said:
A bit more info about Away:

- You have to go into the dungeons, find a villager, rescue him, and escape from the dungeon. So it's a two way journey.

- The dungeons are divided across the two screens, and a timer appears on either side to indicate when that screen will "shuffle" into a different screen. The player must not be on that screen when it shuffles or he will be damaged. If you are damaged in this way while rescuing a villager, the villager will return to the bottom floor of the dungeon.

- The story of the game revolves around a village with a curse that has been going on for 100 years. Each year someone disappears mysteriously. As a young boy named Sword, you enter the dungeons via pillars of light that you find, and attempt to rescue the villagers who have been taken "away", by bringing these people back they will expand and develop the village while introducing new shops to be used as well as unlocking more story events.

- The game is 85% complete and seems to be ready to meet the 28th Feb release date.

eh, I hope its sword in Japanese...

duckroll said:
Nope. :(

Sakaguchi has pretty bad naming skills. :(

good to see he is keeping another ff tradition...though actually cloud and squal even have a more poetic sound than 'sword' which is bland...I suppose it is both ways east and west...foreign words sound cool...its like this bboy crew from korea is called Morning of Owl...actually that is cool haha

Hey, the proud tradition carries on with 'Lightning'.

Anyway, 'Away' sounds nice - but I'm not a big fan of timer-based gaming. Hope it's well-implemented.

ziran

Card Hero 9/9/9/9
Card Hero DS has scored really high!

Obviously this is Famitsu, but it still adds to my suspicions about it being amazing, since it's likely a Sakamoto game (according to Shikamaru Ninja) developed by SPD1 and Intelligent Systems.

I hope it's released in English, but saying that, SPD1/IS games are so awesome I'm probably going to give the Japanese version a try in the new year :)

trinest

splattergnome said:
Survival Kids 8 7 7 7

Wait a second - Survival Kids DS 2 (Lost in Blue 2) already came out earlier this year - is this already a third one? Or is this a PSP version of the game - or something totally different?

Lost in Blue 3 for the Nintendo DS.
It has 4 people isntead of 2 and some other improvments.
http://sk.trinest.com

ITA84

nelsonroyale said:
eh, I hope its sword in Japanese...

Maybe they'll translate it to Katana or something for the English version (provided it comes out).

I hope Away turns out to be a good game; I haven't played Soul Blazer, but Terranigma was one of my favorite games.

Koren

sp0rsk said:
There's an episode of Game Center CX featuring Umihara Kawase, I suggest everyone watch it!
Do want... I tried to find a copy of this game in Japan, but never managed to :(

Aeana

Interesting FF4 review. I'm looking forward to the game.

Away sounds... moderately interesting. The general concept doesn't sound too appealing, but I must say that the shuffling dungeons sounds a bit unique and I'm curious to see just how it works.

zurra

i've never heard of umihara kawase, but those videos make me very interested. if the PSP game turns out well, i'll definitely have to snag a copy. i loves me some ninja rope!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Umihara PSP is awesome, I guess this'll fill the gap nicely for those who were disappointed by the Bionic Commando revival. The PS1 game is so much fun although I can't stand the boss "battle" against the giant fish towards the beginning of the game, that frustrates me so much :p

The best part about Umihara is a design very similar to the classic Mario games - you don't gain any abilities by finding new items, the game trains you into using the repertoire of moves you have from the beginning of the game, so the more you play and familiarize yourself with the physics, the easier it is to make it through the game, and discover out-of-the-way warp zones and stuff. And you WILL be restarting a lot, since there are no continues and only 5 lives :p

duckroll

Where are the normal guys that actually scan Famitsu? ;_;

I'll like some clean Away scans, and the interview with Sakaguchi and Oshima on the 4th page that wasn't photoscanned. ;_;

sp0rsk said:

And what happened to who started the thread ?

Mandoric said:
AWAY (DS/AQInteractive/08-2-28)
* Tag-team effort between Sakaguchi and Ohjima.
* An ARPG stretching over both screens where the objective is to rescue the villagers on the bottom floor.
* Elements shuffle within screens, changing the landscape; you can't enter the shuffling side until a countdown completes.
* As you rescue citizens from the dungeon, the town starts to regrow; shops reopen to sell you equipment, and villager-based events occur.

DS is getting any sort of RPG..... Seems pretty dinamic with the re-building of villages.

Top Bottom