• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U gamepad, Gaikai and why I don't think streaming is a good match for games

Threi

notag
For people who complain about lag with LCD TVs, I would be curious to know what kind of LCD TV you have. Probably a cheap one. I have a Sharp 70" and a Samsung 52" and have never observed any sort of input lag issue with them.

Cheap TVs tend to lag less due to the absence of any post-processing effects and filters.

MilesVor

Banned
Uh... guys...
Couldn't this be because of the 50hz/60hz PAL vs NTSC thing?
Depending on where he lives, and his NES console...

When the gamespeed is different, the controls feel somewhat off.
Like, the PAL Balloon Fight VC version I downloaded felt slow and strange to me.
While the newer VC games are more responsive.

tkscz

The tiny delay on the gamepad was instantly noticeable to me as the car feels slightly out of control in F-Zero.

What tiny delay? Last I played F-zero on WiiU's gamepad, which was about an hour ago, there was no delay what so ever.

Uh... guys...
Couldn't this be because of the 50hz/60hz PAL vs NTSC thing?
Depending on where he lives, and his NES console...

When the gamespeed is different, the controls feel somewhat off.
Like, the PAL Balloon Fight VC version I downloaded felt slow and strange to me.
While the newer VC games are more responsive.

Had completely forgotten about this. Though I thought NOE fixed that.

m0t0k1

I know that feeling of F-zero GX bro. I have a HD tv in the living room and in my bedroom an CRT tv with a gamecube. I played a bit with my wavebird a bit of lag i notice it a lot in smash bros but it is doable. But when there are birthdays i play on my wii and my god the input lag is horrible i miss turns and stuff. So i get what you are saying.

Koren

For people who complain about lag with LCD TVs, I would be curious to know what kind of LCD TV you have. Probably a cheap one. I have a Sharp 70" and a Samsung 52" and have never observed any sort of input lag issue with them.
That's not a problem of price. Most modern TV exhibit moderate to high input-lag (the newest Sony seems to be insanely good, though, thank goodness). Most of the time, Sharp has quite a high to very high input lag. Samsung is hit-and-miss.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Yes, the U Pad has input lag, but it's lower than nearly all available TV Sets, the lag is only present when you compare it to the SNES on a CRT TV. Comparing it to streaming devices that have to handle a non completely-steady bitrate is strange.

I'm usually really sensitive to input lag, and I haven't noticed any on my Gamepad. The only VC game I have is Super Metroid, and I was just playing it on the Gamepad the other night with no noticeable input lag. I run my Wii U on an ASUS V238H, which is the LED version of the monitors they use at Evo, if I recall; my Gamepad keeps up with it more or less 1:1, in my observation.

Top Bottom