• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U gamepad, Gaikai and why I don't think streaming is a good match for games

You know what you have to do! Hook your Wii U up to your CRT and test the input lag. Bomblord posted this earlier:
http://www.negativeworld.org/article.php?id=9891&pagenumber=1#.UbtGdJzNnTo

From that post:

Edit regarding the Wii U VC: Regarding my experience with Super Mario Bros. 2 - apparently I'm reading that all VC games have a little bit of lag. Add in the extra frame of lag from the Gamepad, and this may explain why some of your Virtual Console experiences have been a little "off."

OP talks pure nonsens. The gamepad displays the image even faster than the average TV today. Maybe he wasn´t ready to handle F-Zero without lag. ;)

Zebetite

Banned
Maybe it isn't the streaming but controller latency? I just never noticed it before when playing VC games on the original Wii with the classic controller.

There actually is minor controller latency even on the original Wii VC compared to playing a game on a SNES. It's nothing world-ending but it makes for a minor difference if you're trying to do something extremely precise like super short charges in Super Metroid.

It's quite possible the Wii U VC has similar issues, totally unrelated to the display. Input lag (within certain limits) will be pretty much unnoticeable to someone who only occasionally plays a particular game, and will eventually be adapted to.

There actually is minor controller latency even on the original Wii VC compared to playing a game on a SNES. It's nothing world-ending but it makes for a minor difference if you're trying to do something extremely precise like super short charges in Super Metroid.

It's quite possible the Wii U VC has similar issues, totally unrelated to the display. Input lag (within certain limits) will be pretty much unnoticeable to someone who only occasionally plays a particular game, and will eventually be adapted to.

So many factors at play here. I miss the days of the old consoles and CRTs.

I know my LCD TV is somewhat old, but it's a smaller screen and I've never had latency issues with it in rhythm games like Rock Band or whatever. I've definitely noticed latency playing at other people's houses on their giant LED TVs.

BaBaRaRa

OP is correct.

Every time I've downloaded a game from the WiiU VC that I remember being really good at all them years ago, it's always the lag from the gamepad...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I play Monster Hunter on the gamepad a lot, and I've never noticed any sort of delay. More than any other game, I would notice it in MonHun.

SmokeMaxX

Meh. Most of you guys are flat out wrong. I get that you guys are trying to help the OP, but if you're going to be confident in your answers, at least do some research.

To be blunt the Op would have to be ridiculously sensitive to pick up on a 1/60th of a second difference.

theoretically it's not impossible but i've never known anyone in my life to be that sensitive.
This is straight wrong. 100% straight wrong. Most games it doesn't matter at all, but try perfect-attacking DDR with half a frame or a full frame of lag. One frame of lag makes a big difference in games that require precise timing. High level/competitive Mario may be one of those games. It's easy to adjust to one frame of lag if you're used to it, but going from years of zero lag to one frame definitely feels off for most people.
EDIT: Maybe Fantastic-attacking on ITG would be harder to do. Perfect attacking has a fairly big window. Oh and also I mean transitioning between lagless and laggy displays. Obviously if someone only practices on laggy setups, they'll be able to do well in rhythm games with that same lag.
I appreciate all the responses and viewpoints obviously.

I believe my flatscreen is this: Sony Bravia S-Series KDL-32S3000 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV

Yet as I said I frequently play these games on a CRT with an SNES. I'm not saying my Wii U on the TV experience is identical to the SNES on CRT, but it certainly felt more "right" as proven by my control of the car being better.

The poster who mentions the screen being between my hands in a strange position might be on to something. If tests have proven that the gamepad is super low latency then it probably it's quite possible that it's the unfamiliar controller or screen placement.

Oh man, I guess this wouldn't be GAF if people weren't calling me out as an Xbone spy!

I hope this is the case!

I also want to say that the specific control issue I notice is the tap-left tap-right tap-left movements done with the d-pad to straighten out the direction of the car of adjusting Mario's landing. Not sure if that helps... sort of hard to explain. Oh, and I'm playing right in front of the television. About 4-5 feet away from the system. I'll have to try that gamepad test when I get home today.
Two things that are affecting you:
1) You are used to a CRT. The screen WILL feel different because it does have more lag. 1-2 frames more. That's assuming you've played a while on your CRT and you're used to precise movements/timings.
2) The screen position makes a big difference. Using DDR as another example, try playing on an arcade cabinet that has a screen right next to your face vs one that's a few feet away from the screen. You can't react the same in both situations.

This

I'm not aware of any TVs that have less lag than the GamePad, unless they are CRTs

It made me realize how much lag my TV had, and my TV wasn't one of the really bad ones with lots of lag either.

yeah but playing Punch-Out on most modern TVs the lag is even worse.
Many monitors/TVs do but you have to specifically look for them.
Here's a good list: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145141/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database/p1
From what I read, the gamepad has at most 2 frames of lag, so anything less than 33ms should have less lag.
no it does not really work that way. The screen may refresh faster but the game still plays at the same speed.

Also The difference would be less than the time it takes for your flatscreen to refresh. If he really notices that then he has super powers.
The game still plays at the same speed, but your timing is thrown off. Imagine if the game had ten minutes of input lag and every time you hit the jump button, you had to wait ten minutes for Mario to jump. Would that still play the same?
The Gamepad screen is lower latency than most flat screen TV's but the control input is wireless and may still lag behind a wired SNES controller. (I haven't seen any tests or comparisons done with the Wii U gamepad in this regard)

That doesn't explain why the OP thinks it feels right when playing on his flatscreen TV vs the gamepad screen - both are using the same wireless controller input from the pad. Might just be a trick of the mind.
Most first party controllers use pretty much lagless wireless connections.
Uh, the Gamepad's screen displays quicker than my TV does, so I don't know how your TV's the thing that's devoid of latency.

Not to mention they look better on the pad due to the higher DPI.
Play on a CRT. It'll be less laggy than the gamepad.
I'm not lying. I'm trying to understand why the games feel weird on the gamepad. I assumed it was due to the streaming, but it seems like I'm wrong. Hence posting a thread asking other's opinions.

One thing the gamepad does have for a fact is artifacting on the horizon in F-Zero!

I'd still appreciate it if more F-Zero GX experts would chime in about the Wavebird being terrible for the game after playing so long on a wired controller.
Wavebird might have lag; I'm not too familiar with that. I know that newer wireless controllers are pretty much the same thing as wired controllers though.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
A real NES/SNES hooked to a CRT is 0 frames of lag
A Wii U emulating that game on a CRT is 1 frame of lag
A Wii U emulating that game AND sending it to the gamepad is 2 frames of lag
OP you should get into fighting games.

SuddenlyCORGIS

Neo Member
Hey, if any of you guys immediately dismissing the OPs concern are poly, console-wise, the XBone could really use your help running damage control after their unveiling.

They have some things in need of immediate dismissal.

jaypah

Yes. 3DS is hardwired with no post-processing, there is no lag.

Thanks. So a game like Punch-Out will feel different. I swear the difference is night and day. The 3DS feels like what the game always feels like. The gamepad feels different. Fighting Sodapop and Sandman was actually difficult.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Try FIFA on the GamePad then on the TV. In this game particularly you will notice the difference.

GamePad reduces lag.

colui

I know what you mean, but to have 0 frames of lag, it means that the console is reading in your mind :)
If you press a button during a certain frame, the movement will appear in the next.
It might happen that you press a button during the 15th millisecond of the first frame and the action still register for the next, but that's still a fraction of a frame.

Oppo

Has anyone actually performed a decent scientific delay measurement on the Wii U gamepad?

I was curious about this too but I couldn't find anything definitive in a few minutes of searching.

I did see that the Rayman devs claim 1/60th frame response on the pad. But that's for a native Wii U game, not sure about VC stuff.

I was curious about this too but I couldn't find anything definitive in a few minutes of searching.

I did see that the Rayman devs claim 1/60th frame response on the pad. But that's for a native Wii U game, not sure about VC stuff.

I wonder why it took so long for VC to come to the Wii U and why they're being really slow with games after everything has already been good to go for the Wii.

I'd still appreciate it if more F-Zero GX experts would chime in about the Wavebird being terrible for the game after playing so long on a wired controller.
As a former webmaster of an F-Zero fansite with a rather large forum at the time(we got a spot at the smashboards actually) I've heard or experienced anything like this myself, and I've been using the wavebird a lot during the gc era.

SmokeMaxX

I know what you mean, but to have 0 frames of lag, it means that the console is reading in your mind :)
If you press a button during a certain frame, the movement will appear in the next.
It might happen that you press a button during the 15th millisecond of the first frame and the action still register for the next, but that's still a fraction of a frame.
That's not how input lag works. There's obviously still a delay from when you hit the button till when the move comes out, but we're talking about the delay from perfect conditions to when shows up on a particular screen.
Has anyone actually performed a decent scientific delay measurement on the Wii U gamepad?

I think in the early days someone did. Eurogamer maybe?

As a former webmaster of an F-Zero fansite with a rather large forum at the time(we got a spot at the smashboards actually) I've heard or experienced anything like this myself, and I've been using the wavebird a lot during the gc era.

Seriously? I have a hell of a time playing the game on the Wavebird. Plug in a normal GC pad and it feels perfect. Maybe it's a matter of people using the Wavebirds being adjusted to how it plays with a Wavebird? When I play on the WB the car feels a lot more twitchy, in a bad way.

For the record, on the HDMI 1/DVI port our TV has less display lag than the gamepad. So it doesn't necessarily have less display lag than his TV.

This is straight wrong. 100% straight wrong. Most games it doesn't matter at all, but try perfect-attacking DDR with half a frame or a full frame of lag. One frame of lag makes a big difference in games that require precise timing. High level/competitive Mario may be one of those games. It's easy to adjust to one frame of lag if you're used to it, but going from years of zero lag to one frame definitely feels off for most people.
EDIT: Maybe Fantastic-attacking on ITG would be harder to do. Perfect attacking has a fairly big window. Oh and also I mean transitioning between lagless and laggy displays. Obviously if someone only practices on laggy setups, they'll be able to do well in rhythm games with that same lag.

As somebody who owns all the PS2 DDR games (minus X2) and ITG, I can confirm what he says. I'm also saddened that there are people who are attempting to play rhythm games on HDTVs, don't know that they need to calibrate for lag, and as such are having a much harder time than they should. XP EDIT: Not that rhythm games should be played on laggy displays to begin with.

tarheel91

I believe someone tested the gamepad and it has 1-2 frames of lag. This is VERY GOOD for a display nowadays. Shoryuken.com's tech talk sub-forum had to create a list of monitors that are sub-1 frame just because of how terrible almost all flatscreens are nowadays with input lag. If you aren't playing on a CRT or you didn't buy your TV specifically for its lack of input lag, chances are that your TV is MUCH MORE LAGGY than the gamepad.

The best HDTVs/monitors have ~0.5-1 frame of lag. "Acceptably lagless" is up to about 2 frames of lag (although if you're used to one frame, two frames can mess you up). Most modern HDTVs have several frames of lag. Like I said, if you walk into a store and randomly get a TV, 95-99% chance it's more laggy than your GamePad (and in many cases, a LOT more laggy).

That isn't to say that what you're feeling is wrong, though. Many games require very precise motions/timings (rhythm games/fighting games) and even small amounts of lag like 1-2 frames can throw off someone's timing. However, if you're able to play on your main TV (assuming it's a flatscreen) and not feel lag, chances are you're just used to laggy setups.

This seems pretty meaningless unless you specify the FPS. 1 frame at 30 fps is 2 frames at 60fps is 4 frames at 120 fps.

steveovig

I think you're nitpicking A LOT. I've been playing SNES games, specifically F-Zero and SMW, since 1992, and I don't have any problems playing them. Quit looking for things to complain about and have some fun.

Mudkips

Banned
The thing I hate about playing F-Zero on the gamepad is the compression. There's no fucking delay, however. It's as close to an SNES hooked up to a CRT as you're going to get.

And claiming that wavebirds add delay is also ludicrous.

You're imagining things.

A Wii U emulating that game on a CRT is 1 frame of lag
A Wii U emulating that game AND sending it to the gamepad is 2 frames of lag

Uh, no.

Delay is measured between when a frame is rendered and when a frame is physically displayed.
There's no reason to think there's an additional delay when emulating an old game.
Unless you're privy to the technical details of the Wii U's gamepad stream encoder, then you have no basis to compare its delay to the delay on the wired video output.

SmokeMaxX

This seems pretty meaningless unless you specify the FPS 1 frame at 30 fps is 2 frames at 60fps is 4 frames at 120 fps.
Sorry, the talk is mostly within a fighting game context so it's always 1 frame = 16.6667 ms (60 fps). Even if a fighting game runs at 30fps, it takes inputs at 60 fps.

EDIT: Oh one thing that I hate about VC on WiiU is that it seems to stutter at times. I played Megaman X and Super Mario World and they both seemed to stutter at different times. Also, I agree with the OP that trying to speedrun SMW on the Gamepad feels "off." I thought he was using an HDTV to compare to, which would be super confusing. But if he's used to playing SMW on a CRT like I am, then I can see why he feels the way he does.

Wahooka

Neo Member
I have Fzero on my WiiU and seriously there is no delay. The whole thing about images showing on the pad before the screen is true, so if you are getting a delay it is one of three things.

1) You are past the range of the controller and are experiencing transmission breaks.
2) You have a defective pad.
3) You are perceiving something you "want" to see.

I think you're nitpicking A LOT. I've been playing SNES games, specifically F-Zero and SMW, since 1992, and I don't have any problems playing them. Quit looking for things to complain about and have some fun.

Okay, that's helpful. What makes all F-Zero games so fun is how tight the controls are. I can always go play it on the SNES, but that doesn't make this a non-issue.

The thing I hate about playing F-Zero on the gamepad is the compression. There's no fucking delay, however. It's as close to an SNES hooked up to a CRT as you're going to get.

And claiming that wavebirds add delay is also ludicrous.

You're imagining things.

Yeah, the compression is terrible. I was really surprised to see that.

I don't think I'm alone in believing the Wavebird has some level of delay even if it's small.

steveovig

Patrick, you're probably one of the only people complaining about something like this. Only on GAF will people complain about the littlest things that no one else cares about.

scarybore

116ms ahead? That is one shitty TV. I think it was Eurogamer that measured the gamepads latency to be about 2 frames (32ms) so that tv would be 9 frames behind generally if my maths are right.

I do the feel the latency of the gamepad a bit when playing Punch-out, but with F-Zero my biggest problem was the compression which is just horrible.

Patrick, you're probably one of the only people complaining about something like this. Only on GAF will people complain about the littlest things that no one else cares about.

Because only on GAF will I be able to talk to people that might have some idea what I'm talking about. Clearly that doesn't include you so it might be best to avoid this thread. Thanks!

Sorry, the talk is mostly within a fighting game context so it's always 1 frame = 16.6667 ms (60 fps). Even if a fighting game runs at 30fps, it takes inputs at 60 fps.

EDIT: Oh one thing that I hate about VC on WiiU is that it seems to stutter at times. I played Megaman X and Super Mario World and they both seemed to stutter at different times. Also, I agree with the OP that trying to speedrun SMW on the Gamepad feels "off." I thought he was using an HDTV to compare to, which would be super confusing. But if he's used to playing SMW on a CRT like I am, then I can see why he feels the way he does.

If what you're referring to is the stutter that's most prominent in Armored Armadillo's stage on the rail cart, that stutter was in the SNES carts too. I always remembered that distinctly as a kid too.

I didn't have any significant problems playing F-Zero or SMW on the GamePad. Punch-Out was another story.

I never played f-zero on it, but i definitely noticed it while playing punch-out. It was just a tad off at times that i was getting hit by the first guy... the first guy who you demolish with your eyes closed.

it wasn't horrible lag, but for any game requiring precise timing, you can notice it at times.

hatchx

Banned
Your wiiU is busted man. I have never had delay, and the system will sooner tell you your too far from the console to receive a signal before giving a delay.

i haven't noticed any lag on the gamepad, i'm surprised you didn't mention how shit f zero is with the compression, it looks a mess on the gamepad.

Your wiiU is busted man. I have never had delay, and the system will sooner tell you your too far from the console to receive a signal before giving a delay.

I'd rather be totally wrong than have a busted system. I'll have to mess with it some more later.

I suppose I can record a video holding the gamepad by the tv screen and do a comparison. Won't help if it's input latency causing the control issues though.

SmokeMaxX

If what you're referring to is the stutter that's most prominent in Armored Armadillo's stage on the rail cart, that stutter was in the SNES carts too. I always remembered that distinctly as a kid too.

Haha no not that. I played both games a TON when I was a kid (didn't have anything else to do) and even played both fairly recently before it came out on WiiU. I noticed the stutter in SMW on the first stage on the right and Mega Man X Storm Eagle stage. It didn't happen in the real versions of the games and it looked like WiiU stutter. No idea what it's from though.

i haven't noticed any lag on the gamepad, i'm surprised you didn't mention how shit f zero is with the compression, it looks a mess on the gamepad.

Oh, I noticed alright. Something about the greys used in the distance on the track mixed in with the strange mode 7 resolution stuff that happens on the horizon.

bomblord

Banned
Meh. Most of you guys are flat out wrong. I get that you guys are trying to help the OP, but if you're going to be confident in your answers, at least do some research.

Two things that are affecting you:
1) You are used to a CRT. The screen WILL feel different because it does have more lag. 1-2 frames more. That's assuming you've played a while on your CRT and you're used to precise movements/timings.
2) The screen position makes a big difference. Using DDR as another example, try playing on an arcade cabinet that has a screen right next to your face vs one that's a few feet away from the screen. You can't react the same in both situations.

Many monitors/TVs do but you have to specifically look for them.
Here's a good list: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145141/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database/p1
From what I read, the gamepad has at most 2 frames of lag, so anything less than 33ms should have less lag.

The game still plays at the same speed, but your timing is thrown off. Imagine if the game had ten minutes of input lag and every time you hit the jump button, you had to wait ten minutes for Mario to jump. Would that still play the same?

Most first party controllers use pretty much lagless wireless connections.
Play on a CRT. It'll be less laggy than the gamepad.

Wavebird might have lag; I'm not too familiar with that. I know that newer wireless controllers are pretty much the same thing as wired controllers though.

The average human reaction time is between .15 and .3 seconds the wiiU gamepad lag is .16 seconds.

SmokeMaxX

The average human reaction time is between .15 and .3 seconds the wiiU gamepad lag is .16 seconds.

It's not about reaction time. If a roach is running in front of you, are you able to step on it even though it's moving? Now if a note is running up a screen (DDR), are you able to step on the button panel with accuracy?

In DDR, a Marvelous is 1 frame timing. You have one frame to hit the panel. Let's say you have perfect accuracy so you can hit the Marvelous on that one frame every single time. Okay now add one frame of input lag. Guess what? Now you're hitting the panel one frame late every single time and you're not getting Marvelous.

It's possible that any input latency on the gamepad could be related to Nintendo's VC emulators. I don't have hands-on experience, but I know there are plenty of technical demonstrations that show the tablet's display is very responsive so it can't be that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, take this OP with a bucketload of salt guys. I've NEVER experienced any lag, nor have I ever before even heard of it.

Streaming, when done right like with the Wii U, is awesome and works perfect.

Top Bottom