• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

Just want to mention one last thing about that Star Fox/Metroid game.

Taking Dinosaur Planet and giving it a Star Fox coat of paint is a completely different thing from Retro Studios completely building a Metroid/Star Fox game from scratch. Dinosaur Planet was built without Star Fox in mind, so it was easy to fuck things up when you throw a big name Nintendo franchise to the game at the last second.

When Retro builds a game from scratch, they have to put a lot of thought into the visuals, art style, the environments/worlds, tones, pacing, level design, etc. There is a lot of effort put into figuring out the world of Metroid and the world of Star Fox when creating an original vision of how these will merge. Obviously, both of these are Sci Fi franchises and they both involve Samus/Fox space traveling to distant planets in their ships.

This isn't like Star Fox Adventures where you're building a game, and at the last minute you say, "Oh lets throw this popular franchise on it".

Normally when an idea sounds that crazy and bizarre, you can be sure that Nintendo and Retro will be extremely protective of the execution.

I'm curious how the controller will handle latency. Wireless controllers have managed to have the same latency as wired but I wonder how something that needs to deal with video streams and touch screens will handle it.

According to Harada (Tekken) the latency for the controller is 1/60th a second.

Don’t worry, though: Harada has reassurances for any hardcore Tekken fans. The Wii U’s feature that most impressed him relates to image latency, the time delay that in fighting games is the difference between life and life with a fist in your gob. “The speed of the image transmission feature from the screen to the controller is impressive,” he tells us. “The first time I saw Wii U, I thought, ‘isn’t the delay longer than one frame? If it is, it’s going to be difficult for fighting games.’ But when I heard that the latency actually isn’t more than 1/60th second I was really happy.”
http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/02/27/how-tekken-wii-u-will-reinvent-the-videogame-fist/2/

BlackJace

Same thing that happens if you break your game console. You use the warranty and get it repaired/replaced by an official Nintendo service center. Nintendo (as of last E3) considered the controller as part of the console, they had no plans to sell them separately. And they only talked about potential two-controller play as being for someone who took their controller to a friend's house.

Interesting. Maybe it'll teach people to be more carefully with their shit. I'm still on my D3 and Wiimote from launch. Haven't failed yet :)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Well, it's not really trying to be a tablet, so I don't think it so much matters that it doesn't look like one.

I dunno, with the promise of downloadable apps and mini games that could be played away from the tv set, those features and the design seemed to encourage people to tote it into the next room, Kitchen, and use it to look up the weather, movies, check email, play classic nes games, etc.

Wii-U-Controller-Designed-For-Same-Room-As-Console-Zelda.jpg

According to Harada (Tekken) the latency for the controller is 1/60th a second.

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/02/27/how-tekken-wii-u-will-reinvent-the-videogame-fist/2/

Is that both way transmission? How do normal wireless controllers fair on this measure?

AGITΩ

Back on the wuc redesign...

While I think it now has more appeal to hardcore gamers, with sticks and grips, I think that this version will have less appeal to non gamers than the original design. It looks a lot more like a traditional controller while the slide-pad version looked like a consumer friendly version of an iPad.

Pretty much what I stated before. The Design does appeal more towards us gamers. But the casual consumer that had migrated towards phone and tablet gaming might see the controller as a bit of a turn off since its not as stylized and streamlined as tablets are. For me the 2 tone with the White controller, black sensor portion seems like a turn off. Having it a singular color would be more appealing to the eyes. Dunno who in Nintendo's team agreed this was a good choice, but they need to replace that guy.

I dunno, with the promise of downloadable apps and mini games that could be played away from the tv set, those features and the design seemed to encourage people to tote it into the next room, Kitchen, and use it to look up the weather, movies, check email, play classic nes games, etc.

Wii-U-Controller-Designed-For-Same-Room-As-Console-Zelda.jpg

This... was never promised.
You'll still have to be fairly close to the TV, or at least the console to use anything.

Yeah, this always made me think of a tablet
othello.png

Oddduck

You'll still have to be fairly close to the TV, or at least the console to use anything.

Wasn't it Ideaman or someone else who said there were improvements on how far away you can take the controller from your television with the latest dev kits?

Wasn't it Ideaman or someone else who said they were able to improve how far away you can take the controller from your television?

wissple said they were using NiFi which could go farther, but it's still not replacing a tablet.
You can't use it very far from the consoler, maybe a couple room away, depending on surroundings.

Wasn't it Ideaman or someone else who said there were improvements on how far away you can take the controller from your television with the latest dev kits?

I have this feeling there will be a suggestion of how close you have to be but it will work beyond that, similar to the Gamecube controller.

I know it might not be the same thing but while I doubt it will work all the way on the lower level of your mansion, I could see it still being useable in an adjacent room.

what do we consider fairly close though?

Because if I can play from the kitchen, bedroom or umm...... the bathroom, then we are good to go.

it was rumored by wsippel that the uMotes got more range than previously thought. Something I'm sure he saw official documentation on.

what do we consider fairly close though?

Because if I can play from the kitchen, bedroom or umm...... the bathroom, then we are good to go.

it was rumored by wsippel that the uMotes got more range than previously thought. Something I'm sure he saw official documentation on.

Within in the same house (perhaps less, depending on factors).
While a tablet you can use literally anywhere.
It's still a controller, and you still have to be within range of the console. It can't function on its own.
It simply is not a tablet replacement. At best, it's a tablet like controller.

I can't take Rare being overrated seriously.

I mean: Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Conker, etc...

All really good games, some of my favorite of all time, at least at the time.

I respect your opinion but I never cared for Banjo or Perfect Dark/Goldeneye. Blast Corps might be my favorite Rare game, though. It was original and downright fun.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
AGITΩ;38031118 said:
Pretty much what I stated before. The Design does appeal more towards us gamers. But the casual consumer that had migrated towards phone and tablet gaming might see the controller as a bit of a turn off since its not as stylized and streamlined as tablets are. For me the 2 tone with the White controller, black sensor portion seems like a turn off. Having it a singular color would be more appealing to the eyes. Dunno who in Nintendo's team agreed this was a good choice, but they need to replace that guy.

I think cameras are helped by a black surrounding in order to prevent reflection and glare from the casing. Maybe the same is true for the IR dots??

----

Also, anyone else find it a little hard to believe Nintendo had the redesign available to see via the patent for all these months? I always figured they had means of controlling when that stuff was released in order to protect their secrets. Still not 100% sure this is what we will see in 2 weeks.

antonz

I think it's just Ubisoft being Ubisoft in this case.

It could certainly be that but honestly If I am in Charge of Ubisoft and im about to launch a brand new FPS franchise on the Wii U I dont really want there to be 3-4 different FPS from my company there at launch.

I want people buying my new franchise to establish it

NBtoaster

Within in the same house (perhaps less, depending on factors).
While a tablet you can use literally anywhere.
It's still a controller, and you still have to be within range of the console. It can't function on its own.
It simply is not a tablet replacement. At best, it's a tablet like controller.

Well I knew that, you made it sound like Gahigiddy had implied something other than playing around the house.

Well I knew that, you made it sound like Gahigiddy had implied something other than playing around the house.

Well, I'm just saying, that I don't think how it looks now is going to hurt or help with the people that like tablets.
It's simply not one, and Nintendo isn't pushing it as one.

I respect your opinion but I never cared for Banjo or Perfect Dark/Goldeneye. Blast Corps might be my favorite Rare game, though. It was original and downright fun.

Yeah, I was just saying I disagreed, shouldn't have said I couldn't take you seriously, hahahaha.

Blast Corps was the most original of their games and it stands out.

I had no idea it would be more than a "blow up everything in your path" type game, it was really well thought out.

AGITΩ

I think cameras are helped by a black surrounding in order to prevent reflection and glare from the casing. Maybe the same is true for the IR dots??

Same can be said about the 3DS Black top screen for the 3D Imaging. But I was going for, why didn't they just Make the Wii U a Black System from the get go? It would just look way better over all, and the Analogs wont change nasty colored over time.

WhyMe6

Wow, that quote sounds impressive. What is it like for say, the wireless xbox 360 controller?

Well, Harada said that the 1/60th second (~16.7ms) applies in a 60FPS game.

If we compare that to Digital Foundry's article on latency they found that, at best, in a 60FPS game on Xbox 360, the latency was 67ms.

Izick

How's everybody doing? It's been a long ass day. I have no idea what's going on, I haven't read anything, but I'm about to go check out the Paul Gale rumor. (Hopefully it's up.)

nordique

Not surprising but I doubt any game that uses the controller's screen is the "same" game and I am sure this one does/will.

I guess it means from a graphical standpoint.

This makes sense. Though it is sad few companies are making use of the extra power the Wii U provides.

I suppose Nintendo really did make it easy for 360 ports!

Mind you, here are some Xbox 360 launch titles which were nothing more than HD ports of Xbox 1 games:

Amped 2 - Xbox 1

amped-2-2.jpg

sim-amped2-0006.jpg

Amped 3 - 360
amped-3-20051118091242847-000.jpg

amped3_111105_2-1.jpg

Call of Duty 2 B.R.O. - Xbox 1
call_of_duty_2_big_red_one_profilelarge.jpg

codbxb013.jpg

call-of-duty-2-big-red-one-20050801023518234.jpg

call-of-duty-2-big-red-one-48283.876232.jpg

Call of Duty 2 - 360
927725_20051115_screen014.jpg

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-xbox-360-077.jpg

call_of_duty_2_xbox_360.jpg

Gun - Xbox
gun_2_1121735921.jpg

Gun - Xbox 360
gun-20051115040658583-000.jpg

I mean, even this is a trip down memory lane
http://www.gamespot.com/features/xbox-vs-xbox-360-do-you-really-need-hd-6140621/

Just to show the discrepancy that comes at launch between games that are simply ports (Gun), those which are barely upgrades (amped2-3), and those that take advantage of the graphical power of new hardware (CoD 2 BRO vs 2 360)

This is very important to keep in mind. I expect we'll see something similar with the Wii U launch; the hardware is more powerful probably more-so than people think, but only a few games will really be a jump beyond what is currently out there. Everything else will look the same as PS360.

Oddduck

How's everybody doing? It's been a long ass day. I have no idea what's going on, I haven't read anything, but I'm about to go check out the Paul Gale rumor. (Hopefully it's up.)

We have real analogue sticks instead of sliders on the Wii U controller now.

While I think it now has more appeal to hardcore gamers, with sticks and grips, I think that this version will have less appeal to non gamers than the original design. It looks a lot more like a traditional controller while the slide-pad version looked like a consumer friendly version of an iPad.

so true the other design is much cleaner or iPad... this new design in Black would be very "Core" gamer friendly, in black it could very well help it look better

Nintendo is trying hard to balance its image for both targets I am not sure if they can pull it off.

Izick

Holy shit...that PG rumor...I know he's already backpedaling the fuck away so that if it doesn't come true then he doesn't look terrible, but...holy shit...if that's true...wow.

We have real analogue sticks instead of sliders on the Wii U controller now.

This is something I can get behind. Is this confirmed?

Gahiggidy

so true the other design is much cleaner or iPad... this new design in Black would be very "Core" gamer friendly, in black it could very well help it look better

Nintendo is trying hard to balance its image for both targets I am not sure if they can pull it off.

I wish they could figure a way to cut down on the white space on the sides yet still have offset sticks > buttons.

And we may have gotten a man fired.. or killed

I just don't feel alive until someone posts something they shouldn't and Nintendo Ninjas are summoned.

Holy shit...that PG rumor...I know he's already backpedaling the fuck away so that if it doesn't come true then he doesn't look terrible, but...holy shit...if that's true...wow.

There's a picture of the supposed final controller.

Izick

Sexy ass final controller: FUCKING CONFIRMED

EDIT: Sorry for the DP, I thought that Nintendgaf would be on this shit. 2 minutes of dead-air isn't right!

Izick

Also, there might be a Starfox / Metroid crossover game.

I just read that article and wow, that's crazy. Sounds like a dream game, which is why I'm hesitant to believe.

I'm guessing the sticks are legit sticks, and are (probably) clickable because of the mistakes and band-aids Nintendo had to use to rectify the 3DS's faults. I'm glad that we're getting real sticks, and that Randy Pitchford stuff is starting to make more and more sense.

Nah, that's pretty much not happening.
Why not?

I just read that article and wow, that's crazy. Sounds like a dream game, which is why I'm hesitant to believe.

I'm guessing the sticks are legit sticks, and are (probably) clickable because of the mistakes and band-aids Nintendo had to use to rectify the 3DS's faults. I'm glad that we're getting real sticks, and that Randy Pitchford stuff is starting to make more and more sense.

Why not?

Ace is in denial that it's not a Mother/StarTropics crossover.

Why not?

Sounds too much like a fanmade game. Plus BG said Retro are making an original game.

thats where I think Black would help... all that white space is hard to ignore, also makes the screen look tiny

While the white doesn't really bother me too much, I agree that black seems like a better fit overall for it. Plus, having a color other than white as the launch might help differentiate it from the Wii even a bit further in some people's minds. (Yes, I'm aware that the Wii comes in different colors now, but most people still associate it with the white that it was for the majority of its launch.)

Why not?
Well:

1. It makes no sense on any level. They are two completely different games with two completely different play styles. It wouldn't appeal to either set of fans.

2. BG has already said (from what he's heard) that it's more likely a new IP.

Ace is in denial that it's not a Mother/StarTropics crossover.

Now this, I could get behind.

Izick

If this guy made all this Metroid/Star Fox stuff up...I mean I understand hearing false rumors, but the dude goes super in depth about stuff. It's not just a name and a gameplay idea, he's giving the beginning scene and a lot more. It sounds like it would be more of a fantastical made-up story rather than a off-the-cuff rumor that a friend told him.

Sounds too much like a fanmade game. Plus BG said Retro are making an original game.

It does, but to be fair, he never said he knew what the game was, only that he asked about a few IP's and was told that what it wasn't. I'm guessing that he asked about Metroid, and they could have double-talked around it and said "no" since it's not just Metroid, but rather Metroid/Star Fox, but I agree, the title sounds ridiculous, and it does sound like some fanboy dream or something. He's already backpedaling on this stuff too, so that's something to consider.

fse

Still looks bad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom