• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

I wish Nintendo would just come out and confirm that it's the controller and then release press images. They might as well.
Nintendo never really bothers with leaks and stuff
I don't even think they really mention it during their conference
Sony makes a running joke out of it though.

Well I'm coming back from a holiday during the first day on E3 so Sony's is probably the first one I can watch live.

I tend to watch it while posting on an IRC room instead.

Yeah last year set up an IRC room on our website, and just had a few dozen people in there. It saves me a lot of Twitter spam as well.

AngryMoth

You know what, I've had a change of heart with regards to the Wii U. The way things panned out with the Wii automatically set my expectations low for Nintendo's next console, and the reveal last year didn't exactly do much to raise them. Two things have changed my mind. First was the Wii U being the best looking version of Aliens thing, which cements what previously I had been very skeptical about; Nintendo will have the best looking 3rd party titles, for the next year at least. Second was when I remembered the quote today about them not wanting to repeat the mistakes of the 3DS; there's (hopefully) going to be a good launch lineup. This coupled with the fact that I fully expect it to be within my price range means I think there's a very good chance I will be getting one at launch, a remarkable turnaround really. I'm still not a fan of the controller, but colour me excited for E3.

royalan

I abandon Gaming Side for the greener pastures of OT for a few weeks and behold:

I can't believe we're less than a quarter away from there being a 6th speculation thread.

Bravo, guys.

Berg

These images?
wBJRQ.jpg

From the tweeted new controller image. It looks like there is a button below the d-pad. Has this been discussed yet?

Shiggy

No, they weren't thought to be fakes. We thought they were older patents, because it was misread on the site we found them on.
Newer patents are put at the top of the list, while older ones at the bottom.
So, we technically knew about the redesign months ago, we just dismissed it as old.

No, technically newer community designs (not patents) are put at the end of the list. But Nintendo applied all Wii U designs as a single filing (001958232) with sub-designs. And when it comes to these sub-designs/sub-filings, it seems as if the newer designs are on top.

E.g.
New design: 001958232-0003
E3 design: 001958232-0004
Wii U Zapper: 001958232-0007
and so on.

Wii U Strap?
002006700_0001_6_source.jpg

DAYUM! Didn't notice the stylus placement, THANK GOD! I hated that the 3DS stylus was on the left side, thus I never use it unless I have to type something. :/

I abandon Gaming Side for the greener pastures of OT for a few weeks and behold:

I can't believe we're less than a quarter away from there being a 6th speculation thread.

Bravo, guys.
The real question is if we can hit thread 7 before E3.
:p
From the tweeted new controller image. It looks like there is a button below the d-pad. Has this been discussed yet?

It's likely a marker for NFC.

No, technically newer community designs (not patents) are put at the end of the list. But Nintendo applied all Wii U designs as a single filing (001958232) with sub-designs. And when it comes to these sub-designs/sub-filings, it seems as if the newer designs are on top.

E.g.
New design: 001958232-0003
E3 design: 001958232-0004
Wii U Zapper: 001958232-0007
and so on.

Wii U Strap?
002006700_0001_6_source.jpg

Wii U Lightsaber!

It'd be really surprising if GTA5 isn't on the Wii U. The lack of platform announcements after the trailer makes it seem like they're holding it back for one of the platform holders to make the announcements. There's really no benefit for Sony or MS to announce it at their conferences. Everyone expects it to be on those platforms. I guess that it's possible that Nintendo landed some sort of exclusive marketing deal for the game, which would be even more reason for Rockstar to hold back on platform announcements.

I just hope g4 or someone has the nintendo conference. I'll be in class during it, and when I get home I don't want to have to search online for a repeat of the stream and end up spoiling myself. I want to see the presentation myself before hitting gaf.

Last year I know nintendo had it on their own site...did it repeat as a live stream, or more like a YouTube or whatever video where you can play it at your leisure?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You know what, I've had a change of heart with regards to the Wii U. The way things panned out with the Wii automatically set my expectations low for Nintendo's next console, and the reveal last year didn't exactly do much to raise them. Two things have changed my mind. First was the Wii U being the best looking version of Borderlans 2 thing, which cements what previously I had been very skeptical about; Nintendo will have the best looking 3rd party titles, for the next year at least. Second was when I remembered the quote today about them not wanting to repeat the mistakes of the 3DS; there's (hopefully) going to be a good launch lineup. This coupled with the fact that I fully expect it to be within my price range means I think there's a very good chance I will be getting one at launch, a remarkable turnaround really. I'm still not a fan of the controller, but colour me excited for E3.
I think you mean aliens?

I just hope g4 or someone has the nintendo conference. I'll be in class during it, and when I get home I don't want to have to search online for a repeat of the stream and end up spoiling myself. I want to see the presentation myself before hitting gaf.

Last year I know nintendo had it on their own site...did it repeat as a live stream, or more like a YouTube or whatever video where you can play it at your leisure?

G4 should have it.
And yes, Nintendo's own site will have it for playback later on, but after the conference is behind the scenes stuff, developer interviews, more trailers, ect.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Well, only 2 hours to get excited for this. What are we looking at here in terms of megaton chances? I haven't been following this bonus round thing at all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ok all ill have on June 5th is my Droid...is there anyway I can watch the presentation live or am I boned?

Im boned aren't I?

Droid as in Android? Don't see how that would hinder you really. My phone can do flash pretty good if it's just video, streaming works out okay as well so I don't see how you would be boned.

Though if it's an older phone you might be boned :eek:. But at least there will be live blogs.

MDX

Well, all that info was actually posted days ago, that forum just recently got it.
A few of the points automatically make it fake.
Like the fact that the Wii U is using a 6770 and DirectX 11.

More for ergonomics than anything, I'm sure.

Wait, how could it be posted days ago if....

>That little button under the D-Pad on the left of the controller is somehow linked to the Wii Vitality Sensor

?

Wait, how could it be posted days ago if....

>That little button under the D-Pad on the left of the controller is somehow linked to the Wii Vitality Sensor

?

Oh, I dunno about that, I know a lot of that info has been posted here before.
Regardless, that proves it's even more fake, since that's impossible.

Prediction: Some mainstream or tech site will make an article comparing the final Wii U controller to the iPad 3.

I'm surprised they haven't already considering a lot of people in the controller thread seemingly want the controller to cost more than the console itself.

You can probably watch the stream on Nintendo's site, actually.
They use HTML5, I believe.
It'll be small and may lag a bit, though.

Oh nice! Really hope that works. I guess anything is better than last year, having my friend text me the details and seeing the Skyward Sword trailer on a blurry video message haha...

MDX

Oh, I dunno about that, I know a lot of that info has been posted here before.
Regardless, that proves it's even more fake, since that's impossible.

Well they said linked, so maybe its only part of something more, and therefore, some surprises are still coming.

I also found this interesting:

Wii U has 2GB of RAM, 560MB of that are for the OS

Isnt this what IDEAMAN has been alluding to?

Oh nice! Really hope that works. I guess anything is better than last year, having my friend text me the details and seeing the Skyward Sword trailer on a blurry video message haha...

IGN should have a stream up on Youtube too but I'm not sure if live video works with the Android app yet or not.

Fredrik

No, they weren't thought to be fakes. We thought they were older patents, because it was misread on the site we found them on.
Newer patents are put at the top of the list, while older ones at the bottom.
So, we technically knew about the redesign months ago, we just dismissed it as old.
Aha, thanks, we should've figured it out really, at least nowadays it's quite un-Nintendo to make the controllers less ergonomic, they're usually spot on in that regard.

Only thing I worry about right now is that the third party devs will keep going with 360/PS3 as lead platforms until X720/PS4 comes along. Tomb Raider is the biggest lost so far imo, I really really wanted to play that on WiiU, I might skip it just because of that. I'm usually jumping on to the next generation as soon as the new consoles arrives, never looking back (until they're retro consoles), so if devs want me to keep buying their games they need to do WiiU versions too.

Well they said linked, so maybe its only part of something more, and therefore, some surprises are still coming.

I also found this interesting:

Isnt this what IDEAMAN has been alluding to?

Yes, but he's been saying that for a while now, and it's been all over the internet...
So that "source" stealing stuff from IdeaMan isn't surprising.

Penguin

0% chance.
We might get some teases from Shane, but that's about it.
It'll mostly be about how Nintendo is fucked and what not.

"This is the console that Nintendo should have released 3 years ago."
"What's going to happen when Microsoft and Sony reveal their next consoles?"
"Nintendo needs more support from 3rd parties than just ports"

"This is the console that Nintendo should have released 3 years ago."
"What's going to happen when Microsoft and Sony reveal their next consoles?"
"Nintendo needs more support from 3rd parties than just ports"

Pachter will be all gloom and doom for Nintendo as usual.

Edit: He is going to be there right?

Jackano

Prediction: Some mainstream or tech site will make an article comparing the final Wii U controller to the iPad 3.

Yeah that's likely and that's what I keep hearing for both casuals co-workers and anti-Nintendo geeks.
Actually, those talks are really positives and flattering for the WiiU, given the Upad is only a controller for a 350$ device, and the Ipad 3 a independant device that cost how much, more than 500$? (400EUR here).
The controller have so much magic in it that they keep wanting to compare it with the Ipad... And it got buttons!

MDX

Yes, but he's been saying that for a while now, and it's been all over the internet...
So that "source" stealing stuff from IdeaMan isn't surprising.

Well lets see what else Ideaman reveals, and see if this person has announced it before he has.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So at least two of them (Shane and guy from NY Times) should know something (they won't say, of course).
The others will be clueless (particularly Pachter, since Nintendo tells him jack shit).

What if Pachter is actually on Nintendo's payroll to spread doom and gloom to the masses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom