• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I find the lack of quirky but quality Nintendo games like Excite Truck or Rhythm Tengoku in that list disturbing.

MYE

ucontrolleranimation.gif

I like how the white Wii U logo looks on black

Kenka

I would like to have an HD Collection line, with games from the current HD twins gen that I couldn't play on WiiU.

Would need a Classic Controller but who cares.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I would like to have an HD Collection line, with games from the current HD twins gen that I couldn't play on WiiU.

Would need a Classic Controller but who cares.

But the WiiU controller is basically a standard controller with a screen. If it's a budget release I'm sure people won't expect much from the screen apart from streaming.

z0m3le

Banned
One cool thing that Pachter was talking about on the Bonus Round is the potential longevity of the PS3 and the 360. Even when their successors are released it doesn't mean they will be put in the ground. Like the PS2, these two platforms will have a few years more life in them while adoption of next gen consoles takes on a more gradual process due to higher costs. Third parties will still continue to develop for them in large until the install bases of the PS4 and Durango become more sustainable.

The Wii U will only compliment this continued development. Similar to how the PS2, PSP and Wii built a strange ecosystem of shared development a few years back. So we shouldn't have to worry about down-ports for some time if the next gen consoles are potentially plagued with up-ports at first.

This is actually problematic... Next Generation adoption has to come from games, and Sony has all it's first party devs still working on PS3 atm, so I don't see PS4 releasing next year with very many first party titles, and if everything else is an up-port from PS3, what exactly becomes the point of buying a PS4, especially when Backwards compatibility probably isn't there...

Microsoft is in an even worse position to release a console next year just because their first party IPs don't really move the industry, only games I can see really bringing people around is Gears of war 4 and Halo 5 or 6 which ever is meant for next gen, and that should be worrying because both series would sell better on 360 at the moment...

I'm not sure we will get consoles in 2013 from these guys, I certainly don't really see any developers pushing huge AAA titles to those platforms until they are announced, not when there is a large market to sell games on for PS360.

I think Wii U, while being a year late IMO, is still going to position itself as the lead platform for Developers this upcoming gen, especially because Wii U will share the same GPU features as PS4/XB3 as long as they are both built on GCN and Wii U has all the bells and whistles of a 2011/12 GPU.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Post 10 first-party Wii U games at E3. GO!
1. Pikmin Colonies
2. Super Mario Summit
3. Eternal Darkness 2
4. Inception (by Retro)
5. 1080° 3
6. Wii U Fit
7. Wii U Play
8. Super Smash Bros. Tussle
9. Lego City Stories
10. Animal Crossing U. (as in University)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
My dream Metroid on Wii U is the bones of Other M's third person gameplay combined Prime's visor modes. M:OM's pixel hunt visor mode was shameful, but if they could integrate the level of polish from Prime, it would be great. They could have the visor gameplay on the DRC. Recapture the atmosphere of the original titles and we've for a winner.

here here!

pramath

Banned
Yes. The "B-tier" needs love too. Especially from us since the media will never give them the time of day anymore.

Here's a separate B list. I anticipate these games in the period following the launch rush but before Nintendo's second generation games hit the Wii U:

ExciteBike 4
PilotWings
Wii U Pictionary
Wii Sports 3 (whatever it ends up being called)
Mii Play
Mii Party
Wii Talk (Wii U video call application; will probably be sold at a budget price and will have some minigames to be played over VoIP included as well)

That's all I got for the time being :p

Xane

My dream Metroid on Wii U is the bones of Other M's third person gameplay combined Prime's visor modes. M:OM's pixel hunt visor mode was shameful, but if they could integrate the level of polish from Prime, it would be great. They could have the visor gameplay on the DRC. Recapture the atmosphere of the original titles and we've for a winner.

So wait.. you say I wasn't the only one who enjoyed Other M? Blasphemy!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If nintendo releases Wind Waker in HD. What are the chances that they will add the missing dungeons back in the game.

Lower than adding back in Kunckle's art studio.

Didn't they say something about the scrapped temples being retuned for TP anywho.

volpone

Banned
If nintendo releases Wind Waker in HD. What are the chances that they will add the missing dungeons back in the game.

From what I understand of how Nintendo make Zelda games, a lot of what is left on the cutting room floor often makes it in to the subsequent Zelda game. A lot of the stuff that was cut from Ocarina of Time and its Ura Zelda expansion was refitted into Majora's Mask. So I'm guessing here that dungeon ideas that were abandoned during Wind Waker may have made their way into Twilight Princess or perhaps even Skyward Sword. So it might be unlikely that Nintendo will ever get round to 'fixing' Wind Waker.

If they added a dungeon at the Jabun part and removed the padding aspect of the Triforce hunt, Wind Waker would be the best Zelda ever.

wsippel

Banned
That was from three months ago
So it's at 8GHz now? ;)

According to one of the IBM engineers working on the project, the CPU was seemingly designed for clockspeeds between 1 and 4GHz. Or more precisely: Individual elements of the CPU were designed for clockspeeds in that range - if the execution units are clocked at 4GHz, the eDRAM would be running at 2GHz and the bus at 1GHz for example. I wouldn't expect the CPU to actually run at 4GHz by the way, the chip was simply designed to be capable of running at that speed.

japtor

Super Mario World 3
Excite Wings
Or Excite Boat
Or Excite x Wave Race FUSION SAGA (free for all mixed vehicle racing)
F-Zero EX(cite)
Mario Kart 8 (Monster)
Star Fox* (Monster!)
Wario Ware World (or Web, Wario wants to take over the whole Internet!)
Kid Icarus Uprising (in any form, even just a cheap eShop multi only mode!)

First party IP by third party dev:
Duck Hunt...by Treasure
And Sin & Punishment if Nintendo owns the IP.
*Might as well give Treasure Star Fox too, it could get back to shooting shit up completely again.

Log4Girlz

So it's at 8GHz now? ;)

According to one of the IBM engineers working on the project, the CPU was seemingly designed for clockspeeds between 1 and 4GHz. Or more precisely: Individual elements of the CPU were designed for clockspeeds in that range - if the execution units are clocked at 4GHz, the eDRAM would be running at 2GHz and the bus at 1GHz for example. I wouldn't expect the CPU to actually run at 4GHz by the way, the chip was simply designed to be capable of running at that speed.

Each core is running at 3 ghz, it has 3 cores, so its 9 ghz. Its the first true 1024 bit system and has advanced blast processing.

z0m3le

Banned
So it's at 8GHz now? ;)

Does IBM have any CPU "Turbo" technology? I could see it running at ~3GHz and jumping up 300-600MHz for a single core to push some sort of chunk processing through, to keep the CPU from bottlenecking anywhere.

Caramello

1. Super Mario 4
2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
3. Link's Crossbow Adventures
4. Pikmin 3
5. WiiSports U
6. WiiFit U
7. New IP: EAD/"Miyamoto's" new characters
8. New IP: Retro Studios
9. New IP: Monolith Soft
10. Lego City Stories

wsippel

Banned
Does IBM have any CPU "Turbo" technology? I could see it running at ~3GHz and jumping up 300-600MHz for a single core to push some sort of chunk processing through, to keep the CPU from bottlenecking anywhere.
TurboCore, yes. It's a POWER7 feature:

There is also a special TurboCore mode that can turn off half of the cores from an eight-core processor, but those 4 cores have access to all the memory controllers and L3 cache at increased clock speeds. This makes each core's performance higher which is important for workloads which require the fastest cores possible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

NSMB Wii U
Pikmin 3
Battalion Wars 3 featuring co-op play on TV and tablet.
DKCR 2 (Retro, side project)
New scifi IP (Retro, main title)
Pilot Wiings U
Something completely off the wall and Japanese using a dual wiimote plus control scheme.
New Mario Paint
Rumored casual-sim racer similar to PGR
Paper Mario X Eternal Darkness - Fusion SAGA!

Taker666

10 games-

1. Planet of the Pikmin
2. Super Mario Bros U & Mii
3. Mario Artist
4. Star Fox - The Hunt (Retro FPS..bundled with Wii U Zapper)
5. Mario & the Angry Birds
6. The Island (Wuhu pre-loaded on hardware.Includes a few games..more from the eshop)
7. Warioware - In Your face (uses the camera for augmented reality)
8. The Garden (a game based around the Japanese Garden demo)
9. EXCITE Boats (Wave Rave meets Hydro Thunder meets EXCITE)
10. Eternal Darkness 2

..and an extra in Lego City Stories..uses NFC tech..a range of NFC Lego men and toys available at launch to scan into the game.

Portugeezer

Watch the mods holding back his member status till after E3. Just for shit and giggles.

don't worry. Yoou're going to be a full member today
How does someone lose their Junior status? Is it chosen by mods?

EDIT: Oh right, I am a member now.

I wish there was a way to seethe difference in 1080 and 720p for myself. Something along the lines a of a blue ray disc with three sample games switching between the modes. Also, comparisons between 60 and 30fps along with anti-aliasing techniques. It may turn out 720p @ 30fps but with best AA may may be more pretty than 1080p/30fps with no anti-aliasing.
Wouldn't mind 720p, my HD TV is 720p so...

Overall I would take 720p if it meant easier development, more stable framerates, and overall and easier porting between Wii U and 720/PS4 (which will probably be closer to 1080p for most games next gen).

Antioch

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: "U will say wow!"

1. Super Mario (EAD Tokyo)
2. Pikmin 3
3. Wii U Play
4. Wii U Fit
5. "Wii Sports equivalent"
6. Retro's game (new IP)
7. Yoshi's Island (Good Feel)
8. Eternal Darkness 2
9. Monster's game (btw, I don't think there is any chance of this coming at launch like a lot of people seem to think, Pilotwings Resort came out 2 years ago and this would be their first HD game)
10. WarioWare U

If this list was real I'd be pretty happy. Imo it has a good balance to it.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
10 games-

1. Planet of the Pikmin
2. Super Mario Bros U & Mii
3. Mario Artist
4. Star Fox - The Hunt (Retro FPS..bundled with Wii U Zapper)
5. Mario & the Angry Birds
6. The Island (Wuhu pre-loaded on hardware.Includes a few games..more from the eshop)
7. Warioware - In Your face (uses the camera for augmented reality)
8. The Garden (a game based around the Japanese Garden demo)
9. EXCITE Boats (Wave Rave meets Hydro Thunder meets EXCITE)
10. Eternal Darkness 2

..and an extra in Lego City Stories..uses NFC tech..a range of NFC Lego men and toys available at launch to scan into the game.
If Lego was smart they'd start the game out as a vast, empty lot. The player would have use the NFC function to scan each and every piece into the game, eventually buying enough Lego to build his or her city and start playing.

Game-Biz

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Uncomfortable Zones of Fun

Just because an obscure reference to Frank Moore would make me happy.

Also:

nYDf1.jpg

darthdago

U guys r all crazy....
Wasn't here for since thursday and the thread VI is about to start soon!!

Something groundbreaking happened while I wasnt here?

U guys r all crazy....
Wasn't here for since thursday and the thread VI is about to start soon!!

Something groundbreaking happened while I wasnt here?

Did you see the new controller?
We also had more speculation that GTA5 was coming.
Bonus Round confirming an awesome E3 lineup.
The Paul Gale Rumor (which is fake).
Retro's game is very likely a new IP.

Antioch

Did you see the new controller?
We also had more speculation that GTA5 was coming.
Bonus Round confirming an awesome E3 lineup.
The Paul Gale Rumor (which is fake).
Retro's game is very likely a new IP.

You mean because of what Satterfield said, right? I wouldn't really take it as confirmation of anything, I mean, before E3 2010 Pachter said (on the Bonus Round) that Nintendo would have nothing at E3, but then they had one of their best if not the best E3 conference they've had. All I mean is don't take anything from the Bonus Round as confirmation of anything, necessarily.

You mean because of what Satterfield said, right? I wouldn't really take it as confirmation of anything, I mean, before E3 2010 Pachter said (on the Bonus Round) that Nintendo would have nothing at E3, but then they had one of their best if not the best E3 conference they've had. All I mean is don't take anything from the Bonus Round as confirmation of anything, necessarily.

Shane has been saying it for a while, though.
And he's not the only one.
We've heard other people saying they're hyped for what they've been seeing announced for the Wii U as well.

kizmah

These titles from Nintendo would make me very happy come E3:

Wii U Sports/Play (or some sort of mini-game collection, bundled of course)
Pikmin 3 (it's a given)
New Super Mario Bros Mii (highly likely)
New huge third-person action/adventure title by Retro
New RPG by Monolith Soft

and at least teasers for:

Eternal Darkness 2
Endless Ocean 3 (could be a graphical showcase)

I don't think that's much to ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom