• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii was such a good console.

I remember the ads, the fucking music was creepy as hell.

The game Nights, was it any good? It's one of the games I always wanted to play.

rjc571

Banned
I remember the ads, the fucking music was creepy as hell.

The game Nights, was it any good? It's one of the games I always wanted to play.

Nights was low-effort trash... there were lots of much better 3rd party games that flew in under the radar, though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Prime 3 is still a really great game. You can make the argument for all 3 of them to be the best, worst and middle in my mind.

I like Smash but I don't like Smash to the degree where I see Brawl as some disfigured bastard child. I still like Brawl a lot, I recognize it has some baffling flaws but I still had a ton of fun playing it. Melee or 4 it is not but it was highly enjoyable.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword...waiting for an excuse to go back to them. I wasn't the biggest fan because they start sooooooooooooooooooooooo slow (didn't even beat the starting of SS because it was like 4 hours) but I figure they will get some kind of HD treatment someday, that's when I will go back.
If it takes you 4 hours to get through the intro of SS, then you're doing something extremely wrong.

Vecks

Xenoblade and the Mario Galaxies make it my favorite console. Other personal standouts were S&P2, Re4: Wii edition, Rune Factory Frontier, Excitebots, trauma team and the endless ocean games. Punch out wii and DKC returns were hype. Metroid prime 3 and the zeldas were all right in my book. My only disappointments were brawl, mk wii and other m. But we still played tons of brawl regardless.

therapist

No , it wasnt.

It has some good games , but overall was not a great console imo.

It had great ideas , but didnt have the hardware to back it up , i.e shooters. The controls were SO GOOD. but there were basically no good shooters.

Asherdude

I liked it. Once you weed out all of the lame waggle party games, it had a nice lineup. But I hated how the DLC was tied to the console and not an account. They sort of fixed it with the Wii U, but it's still a hassle.

rjc571

Banned
Games like Mario Galaxy and twillight princess couldn't though. Those games could easily be mapped to the classic controller.

Sure, Mario Galaxy could... if they nixed the entire starbit collecting aspect of the game. The bonus levels which used pointer and tilt controls would have to be nerfed, as well.

For TP, there's always the GC version if you want to play with vastly inferior arrow/hookshot controls.

woen

And I can't disagree more with your statement. The Wii U is a total failure, compared to ANY Nintendo consoles. And its sales prove that.

Worst Smash Bros? I can't really get the difference between Smash Wii U and Brawl and I have both, except for the nice story mode in Brawl. Worst Mario Kart? Well, yes MK8 is better I give you that. Worst Metroid Prime? Nah. Prime 3 was great. Worst Zelda? Eh, WiiU doesn't even have its own Zelda game. Atleast Wii had one which was pretty good (but also the worst in the 3D series, yes I agree with that)

And most of those games you mentioned aren't yet on Wii U which is extremly disappointing.

That kind of argument can't be used.

Lol you don't even want to see the level of dust my Wii has taken up.

I never cared much for the console's actual games beyond Zelda but the VC is where that motherfucker shines.

If my monitor had RCA connectors then I would use it often.

It's the console that got me back into gaming, still have it hooked up, and yes it had an absolute ton of good original games that you would never find on other systems, but you had look for them

FreeMufasa

If you're a gamer, you should be extremely happy the Wii exists. Without it a lot of games wouldn't have existed, and I'm talking about third parties. Still blow my mind people would rather have a beefed up console just to get the same games as the other systems. For example, if the Wii was pa3/360 level, we'd have gotten a port of dead space instead of the original dead space extraction.

And other games like trauma series, Zack and wiki, little king story, de blob, fragile dreams etc wouldn't have existed. Doesn't matter if you think they're shit or they flopped, we got more games from the wii situation and as gamer you gotta be happy for the options

Zee-Row

Banned
Sure, Mario Galaxy could... if they nixed the entire starbit collecting aspect of the game. The bonus levels which used pointer and tilt controls would have to be nerfed, as well.

For TP, there's always the GC version if you want to play with vastly inferior arrow/hookshot controls.

I couldn honestly do without the starbits , i never really collected them while playing the game. Mario's spin attack could also be mapped to a button.

Wii had many of the best and the worst games of last gen.

The pointer controls had been a great step forward for gaming. Sadly Nintendo abandoned them with Wii U...

G0523

The Wii really was a good console. You had access to entire consoles' selected libraries all on one system! You can finally play selected Nintendo 64 games without that 3-prong controller. Just plug in a GameCube controller and you're good to go. The homebrew community is something else too. Only there will you see patched regular controls for Donkey Kong Country Returns (making it fully playable without the waggle), a Super Smash Bros. fan-made game playing more like Melee in Project M, an excellent semi-sequel to New Super Mario Bros. Wii (all they did was make it Newer) that can easily stand with the other official games, and of course, full libraries of the NES, SNES, Genesis, and Game Boy Advance!

All you need is an SD card and you're good to go explore outside the possibilities of what Nintendo intended for the Wii and see what the homebrew community brought to the table.

Nanashrew

Banned
Opoona is a very quirky JRPG developed by ArtePiazza (co-developers of a number Dragon Quest games). You can play the game one-handed using just the Wii Nunchuk. Overall, it's a simple but really fun game, with great character and world design and an outstanding soundtrack by famed composer Hitoshi Sakimoto. Totally underrated.
It's a little JRPG with lots of "heart" and an amazing OST by Hitoshi Sakimoto.
Like Earthbound a lot of its charm is due to its quirkiness.

This sounds great! I should try to hunt down a copy!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
The Wii had a lot of insanely great titles. Sure there was a ton of shovelware, but games like Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Xenoblade, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Sin & Punishment 2...I could go on! Not the perfect console, but it is indeed great.

GakfHAW.gif

Profound.

I can't disagree more, arguably the worst console I've ever owned. Worst Smash Bros, worst Mario Kart, worst Zelda, worst Metroid Prime, Its only saving grace is Mario Galaxy, which are incredible. I think the Wii U has already surpassed it.
Twilight princess wasn't THAT bad, and skyward sword more than makes up for it.

Mcdohl

To each his own...

To me, it made me stay away from Nintendo for a gen (I'm back with the Wii U).

Motion controls never did it for me, sans Wario Ware Smooth Moves (that one is indeed a gem).

But I disliked Metroid Other M, Skyward Sword, and the Wii Mario Kart.

Also, TP was better on GC, just sayin' :p

And DKCR was better on 3DS because you didn't have to waggle the controller. That really killed the game for me.

DK:TF on the other hand, godly.

Anyway, I don't think the console is crap or bad, not at all, and I understand its cultural legacy/impact.

But I prefer NES, SNES, N64, GC, WiiU over it.

Vice

System was surprisimgly good. Tons of fun games for groups, of course it had Nintendo games and plenty of niche Japanese games the other consoles lacked early on.

Wii had a lot of great first party titles and surprisingly alot of good niche 3rd party games (especially No More Heroes 2 and Muramasa). Though the motion controls are kind of mixed for me but overall its a good system in my opinion.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's actually a fantastic system, and one that I think people will develop more appreciation for in the next few years, sorta like how people eventually came around to the GC. And I totally agree with you that motion controls are stupid, but the pointer is rad. The system's only real downside is the crappy video quality, even over component... but holy hell are the games great.

I bought a new one to replace my launch unit earlier this year (in Mario red) and I'm rediscovering a lot of gems on this thing.

random25

Wii is a damn great console. If I'm being honest, Wii U should have been an HD version of the Wii in terms of not just improving the game's graphics, but enhancing the controls of the Wii. I'm fine with the Wii U gamepad, but Nintendo could have focused more on improving the Wiimote + nunchuck combo and use it as its primary means of control for the Wii U.

Back to the Wii, its library may have been littered with shovelware crap (hey, most of the well-selling consoles have a crapton of shovelware as well), but its gems are really some of the best last gen and top 10 material. It was just prematurely abandoned sadly, but still we can't deny that at its peak the console delivered great and memorable games.

pants

The wii was a terrible console. It lacked many standard features of that generation.

Having good games does not equal a good console. Those are separate, the games are on the console are great but the console itself is still terrible. All of the wii games can be played on my Wii U thus nullifying the argument you made.

I came here to make a similar post.

Jimrpg

I picked up

Wii Sports
Mario Galaxy
Muramasa
Trauma Centre and the sequel
Go Vacation
NSMB
Zelda
Brawl
Wii Fit
We Ski

The majority of the games I picked up because it sounded good in concept, but the end result was kinda average. Only the nintendo first party games seemed to have the gameplay itself nailed down, but alot of the time like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, it never went further than a mini game. Games like Go Vacation and We Ski just had bad execution and were not fun. Muramasa was kinda boring. Trauma Centre was a good idea plagued by excessive anime dialogue (nobody wants to read thru tons of text in a co-op game!) And I didn't really like using the wiimote for longer games like Galaxy, Brawl and Zelda where a regular controller would have been much better.

Sooo... I probably need to go back and finish a few titles, but as it stands it had a lot of unfulfilled potential from a core gamer's perspective.

It's the console that got me to walk away from Nintendo after all these years.

No I cannot agree.

Same -- after having a Gamecube and then seeing the direction Nintendo went with the Wii, I lost all interest. My SO at the time decided to buy one and I messed around with some of the games... it worked great as a "party machine" for bowling through wii sports and as an arcade light gun simulator, but there wasn't a single game I was invested in enough to complete.

It had a few notable games, but I was always so put off by the controller and the hardware in general that I never had the desire to play it. We had tried to play through Paper Mario but ended up losing interest on one of the early boss fights, we tried NSMB Wii got a couple worlds in and dropped it. I think a decent amount of Mario Kart might have been played, but that's pushing it as well.

I didn't even feel bad that Skyward Sword was the first console Zelda that I haven't played through... I just stopped caring and I blame it largely on the direction Nintendo took with the Wii's design.

Malus

I love the thing. It was the first console where I really started to become passionate about gaming. RIP Wiimote :(

It did however mark the downfall of Mario Party, truly tragic.

I picked up

Wii Sports
Mario Galaxy
Muramasa
Trauma Centre and the sequel
Go Vacation
NSMB
Zelda
Brawl
Wii Fit
We Ski

The majority of the games I picked up because it sounded good in concept, but the end result was kinda average. Only the nintendo first party games seemed to have the gameplay itself nailed down, but alot of the time like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, it never went further than a mini game. Games like Go Vacation and We Ski just had bad execution and were not fun. Muramasa was kinda boring. Trauma Centre was a good idea plagued by excessive anime dialogue (nobody wants to read thru tons of text in a co-op game!) And I didn't really like using the wiimote for longer games like Galaxy, Brawl and Zelda where a regular controller would have been much better.

Sooo... I probably need to go back and finish a few titles, but as it stands it had a lot of unfulfilled potential from a core gamer's perspective.

That's a weird selection of games to judge the console on lol.

Of course Wii Sports, Wii Fit, We Ski and Go Vacation aren't amazing for a core gamer.
And Trauma Centre is by the developer of Shin Megami Tensei, Persona and Etrian Odyssey, of course they're going to be fairly anime.

Go pick up Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Metroid Prime 3, Wario Land, Little King's Story, and Zack & Wiki then get back to me.

TriAceJP

The only Nintendo console I have ever been disappointed with was the Nintendo 64.

The Wii was a great little system that was mostly faulted by it's lack of HD and that it was the poster child for shovelware titles before that became the mobile game market.

There are so many hidden gems on the Wii, it's a damn shame people don't give it the credit it deserves. Even now, I am playing Arc Rise Fantasia and have no idea how this game didn't get more attention. Overall, I'd say it had the best JRPG selection last generation, and that is coming from someone who didn't like Xenoblade too much.

It also had a bunch of so-silly-yet-fun games that the PS2 was known to have. WarioWare Smooth Moves, Muscle March, Captain Rainbow, No More Heroes, House of the Dead Overkill...

Great system with very affordable titles nowadays.

Having good games does not equal a good console. Those are separate.

this is some of the biggest BS i have ever heard, games are what make a console great not the hardware, you can make the most powerful console on the market and have it still be considered shit if there is no games anyone wants to buy on it.

redcrayon

Games like Mario Galaxy and twillight princess couldn't though. Those games could easily be mapped to the classic controller.
Sure, but that wasn't the point I was contesting. Early games obviously had to sell the Wiimote, but a good chunk of it's best software didn't, so claims that every game has forced waggle are just untrue.

I'm torn on the Zelda games in that I prefer buttons to waggle for swordplay, but pointer to buttons for archery, so I used the bow on the Wii far more than other Zelda games.

As a left-hander, at least TP just replaced a button press with waggle for the sword. SS replicated movement for precise cuts, so it felt weird either having the sword in my off hand, or in my left hand when it was the opposite of what was on screen. Those enemies with electrified guards really annoyed me. If you're going to have that kind of control, it would have been nice to have a switch in the menu asking whether you are using the sword in your left or right hand, and have Link change accordingly. If he can't be a leftie, at least make him ambidextrous! :)

It really is. Has so many hidden gems, a fantastic first party lineup and a control scheme that, when used correctly, gives me experiences I can't find on any other system. To this day I don't understand why it gets so much hate. Might have nostalgia goggles, but I still use mine to this very day every now and again. I think it was a misunderstood console in a lot of ways. While marketed for casuals, it has so many obscure games worth playing it should be on the level of Saturn or Dreamcast in terms of hindsight. Still not quite there yet though it seems. If you played it concurrently with the other seventh gen consoles, I might see why people soured to it, but not having a 360 until 2009 probably helps my opinion of it.

Not only did it have a lot of great games, it also brought a brilliant controller to gaming. I really miss pointer controls and the split into wiimote and nunchuck.

Top Bottom