• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - new incredible screens [Update: Added A Lot More In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

cj_iwakura said:
Yes, there's the 'soundtrack' and the 'inspired by' soundtrack, with around 12 songs performed by various artists; including Believe and Beltaine's Bring to the Boil(linked to above).

I know the version of the Witcher 1 EE on Steam came with the Inspired by soundtrack as well as the game soundtrack.

Even though I have TW2 reserved on GOG, Im still tempted by the boxed LE. Its so nice and I want to sleep with the Geralt bust

bengraven said:
Now I have to restart my game quickly and choose Triss instead of Shani this time. :p

Shani > Triss. Dont do it!

zoukka

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, Alan Wake being a console exclusive worked out really well for them. Look at all those sales.

Let's just say it went well enough. In hindsight a PC version would've been great, but for a dev that small the offer from Microsoft was one that you can't turn away from.

And I doubt Max Payne on consoles matched the PC sales.

I heard it from the CEO of Remedy himself.

Hah, we have reduced consolites to the status of nintenbots, they are using their same excuses and everything (graphics are not important!, sales are!). Another victory for the master race.

Moar like the mongoloid race if you imply that sales aren't important *shrug*

And I love the graphics of Witcher II. That texture work is unbelievable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Minsc said:
Just to make it look like that, probably the one you have is fine! (sorry)

If you want to get 60fps like that, probably a GTX 480 / 560 or AMD/ATI 5970 / 6950 would be pretty safe bets (for fear of guessing something not strong enough)!

Could be lower though, we'll have to wait and see, there's nothing official afaik.

Edit: Changed 570 to 560.
Thanks.

I guess I'll just wait for the benchmarks of this and Crysis 2 and then decide from there.

I was going to wait for Battlefield 3, but I can't imagine it being much more intense than those two given how well Bad Company 2 ran.

kitzkozan

Catshade said:
Didn't Bioware say at some point that DA2 needs to sell 10 million or more to be considered a success?

Lawl no,but he was saying that nowadays the industry almost consider needing to sell 10 million sold for a success because of anomalies like Call of Duty,Gran theft auto or Halo.Kinda like how World of Warcraft is an anomaly in the mmorpg world which is unkillable at this point.

Luigiv

Binabik15 said:
9glc2q.jpg

What the hell.
For comparison, RE4 on the GCN.
cube6.jpg

Salaadin

Nirolak said:
Thanks.

I guess I'll just wait for the benchmarks of this and Crysis 2 and then decide from there.

Im hoping we get more gameplay previews soon...or even a short demo just to gauge how its going to run. Its probably way to early for such a thing though. 3 more months...

bengraven

Acosta said:
Hah, we have reduced consolites to the status of nintenbots, they are using their same excuses and everything (graphics are not important!, sales are!). Another victory for the master race.

Ha, I just saw this too.

"yeah, I only play games for graphics too"

The Witcher was far more than just a graphical game. No one played the original because of the graphics. The combat was hit or miss (I liked it personally...a combination between BG and Diablo), but the story was fucking brilliant. The choices you made were actually HARD. And it was long, atmospheric, had a genius soundtrack.

I paid 99c for Witcher because some moron on eBay thought he should sell his Extended Edition for $60, while selling the "crappy first one" for much much less, not realizing you could download all the EE stuff for the original game.

Since I got that great of a deal and didn't help the publisher, I'm preordering right fucking now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
zoukka said:
Let's just say it went well enough. In hindsight a PC version would've been great, but for a dev that small the offer from Microsoft was one that you can't turn away from.
No it didn't it sold like shit compared to what they were expecting. Have they even broken 1 million copies sold? Because even super European RPGs released exclusively on PC do that.

I heard it from the CEO of Remedy himself.
I'm still waiting for the actual quote from an article.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nirolak said:
Alright, so which video card do I need to buy for it to look like this?

Serious question.
Not to be the ATI prophet but for the cost, a 6950 2GB will likely run that game smoothly with high settings. Probably maxed.

Salaadin

bengraven said:
The Witcher was far more than just a graphical game. No one played the original because of the graphics. The combat was hit or miss (I liked it personally...a combination between BG and Diablo), but the story was fucking brilliant. The choices you made were actually HARD. And it was long, atmospheric, had a genius soundtrack.

I paid 99c for Witcher because some moron on eBay thought he should sell his Extended Edition for $60, while selling the "crappy first one" for much much less, not realizing you could download all the EE stuff for the original game.

Since I got that great of a deal and didn't help the publisher, I'm preordering right fucking now.

LOL @ ebay. Great deal.

Im pretty much agree with everything youre saying. The combat wasnt spectacular but it worked and I never had issues with it.

The story was just fantastic though. The world and atmosphere was top notch and the characters all had distinct personalities and never felt boring. I also loved how side quests and their outcomes would eventually come into play and affect the main plot. Not telling the player what outcome his actions would lead to really made you think before continuing.

My only complaint is that I felt like you spent way too much time in swamplands. I hope TW2 varies it up a bit.

Salaadin

makingmusic476 said:
Does the retail version of the game include Steamworks? The Collector's Edition is tempting me, but I really want Steam Cloud, etc.

Retail does not. The only way to get steamworks in TW2 is to get it from steam.

koji

OK OK guys you've got me, I just pre-ordered the CE.

It's sitting next to the DA2 signature edition in my pre-order list at my local retailers website :lol

Any word on the translation of the other books btw? I've read Last Wish and Blood of Elves and I'ld really love to read the follow ups but last time I checked they weren't available in English...

edit: looks like they did get translated to French and German, that's a start...

Radogol

cj_iwakura said:
I didn't like Geralt's redesign at first, but it's growing on me.

Maybe that's because they changed it :p

The post above yours has one of the first screenshots with redesigned Geralt. His tweaked look, as seen in the OP, is basically a more detailed version of Geralt from TW1.

bengraven

Salaadin said:
LOL @ ebay. Great deal.

Im pretty much agree with everything youre saying. The combat wasnt spectacular but it worked and I never had issues with it.

The story was just fantastic though. The world and atmosphere was top notch and the characters all had distinct personalities and never felt boring. I also loved how side quests and their outcomes would eventually come into play and affect the main plot. Not telling the player what outcome his actions would lead to really made you think before continuing.

My only complaint is that I felt like you spent way too much time in swamplands. I hope TW2 varies it up a bit.

Frankly I never really worry about combat in RPGs - I'm only playing the game for the story and characters anyway. I consider combat a means to the end. I even skip the sections on combat in magazine previews. ha

But I agree, the swamp was far too long. I eventually started just running away from all the enemies: they could never catch up and it saved me so much time. I was already pretty rich at that point, I didn't need any of their brains or penises or whatever.

My biggest complaint: after you play even a few hours you start seeing a serious issue with repeating NPCs. They said they improved this with the EE, but I still see the same fat Levaardins, ugly hunched over doctors with big heads, townswomen with blonde hair up in a bun and massive cleavage, the same dwarves, the same elf women. Just got old. The character models for the unique NPCs and there were a lot of those, were good, but the random ones and side quest givers got on my nerves.

Aside from the technical details (yeah the skulls look shitty) I think a far more striking difference in the games level design is that the bioware levels don't ever feel like a real place. You can make a bleak place without making it look like you spent 10 minutes in a terrain generator just trying to slap a box-zone together for the player to walk through and fight some monsters. The sky also looks strangely detached from the rest of the world, although that might be an engine limitation.

Every single one of those witcher screenshots (and the locations in the videos that have been released recently) look and feel like they could be real places.

Dragon Age really un-sold me on Bioware for a bit, there's just something so generically stale about the imagination and creativity that goes into those games that has really been happening for a long time (nearly everything post-baldur's gate 2 feels this way to me now). Meanwhile everything about this game from the setting to the graphics to the fiction that it is based on feels like a blast of clean fresh water in an otherwise stagnant pool.

Thank god for eastern europe devs these days... stepping up to the plate.

cj_iwakura

The only game I've seen that approaches this kind of atmosphere is Dark/Demon's Souls.

I bet they're huge fans of each other's work.

Isn't polishing the graphics one of the last steps in game development? So this could end up looking even better than the screenshots.

I'm calling it right now: this game is going to be one of the defining titles of pc gaming.

Vlodril

The new engine looks spectacular. And the art direction is great also. So colorful i love it. Lets hope it runs fine as well. Cant wait for this game.

I'm still torn on what edition I want to buy at this point. GoG will be DRM free. Steam will have steamworks. I would love to buy the physical copy for this but I've heard that DRM on that front is dependent on the publisher. And then there's the collector's edition.....

Salaadin

bengraven said:
Frankly I never really worry about combat in RPGs - I'm only playing the game for the story and characters anyway. I consider combat a means to the end. I even skip the sections on combat in magazine previews. ha

But I agree, the swamp was far too long. I eventually started just running away from all the enemies: they could never catch up and it saved me so much time. I was already pretty rich at that point, I didn't need any of their brains or penises or whatever.

My biggest complaint: after you play even a few hours you start seeing a serious issue with repeating NPCs. They said they improved this with the EE, but I still see the same fat Levaardins, ugly hunched over doctors with big heads, townswomen with blonde hair up in a bun and massive cleavage, the same dwarves, the same elf women. Just got old. The character models for the unique NPCs and there were a lot of those, were good, but the random ones and side quest givers got on my nerves.

I powered up Aard and Igni so much to the point where other magic spells felt useless. I would dump points into them but they never felt as good or useful as Aard or Igni.
Id blast Aard into a crowd and theyd all fall backwards or stun and I was able to just run away and plant types were easy as pie with Igni toasting them. I hope they work on this in TW2 so that all magic has a use.

Edit:
cj_iwakura said:
The only game I've seen that approaches this kind of atmosphere is Dark/Demon's Souls.

EDIT2: Heres a link
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-witcher-2/1140847p1.html
I bet they're huge fans of each other's work.

Im pretty sure one of the guys on the team is a big Demons Souls fan and thats what partially inspired their "Insane" difficulty mode.

n0n44m

had it on my Steam wishlist for months ... damn after seeing these shots I think I'll pre-order it today together with Crysis 2
and pray I don't need a second GTX480 for either of them :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Fox318 said:
If I buy it on GOG how will they handle dlc? We know that it is easy to purchase dlc on steam but on gog?

I wouldn't be surprised if GOG just gives it away for free at some point. What confirmation has there been that the DLC will be available on Steam (or anywhere) outside of retail so far (or for sale at all for that matter)?

But to your question, the GOG version and retail version (with the various DLC) will be very similar, so if it could be put in to the retail version, it will work with the GOG version too I'd guess.

Edit: You might be talking about the rumored ironman cheating DLC items that may be sold on Steam? Hmm, not sure.

zoukka

Stallion Free said:
No it didn't it sold like shit compared to what they were expecting. Have they even broken 1 million copies sold? Because even super European RPGs released exclusively on PC do that.

If it sold like shit compared to their goal, they wouldn't be in the biz anymore as a standalone studio. And they also cashed in from two DLC releases.

I'm still waiting for the actual quote from an article.

Of course they won't say anything like that to the public.

Crazy visuals - but also sad that more PC games can't look like this due to being bogged down by consoles.

I got The Witcher in the Steam sale, so I am going to try and play it before this comes out.

Desi

Salaadin said:
nice and I want to sleep with the Geralt bust

I am awaiting for some Shani images. Wedding rings may mean nothing because Triss is looking mighty fine in TW2, shit irresistible.

And DA2 has always been butt-ugly, ever since the first screenshots came out. That won't stop it from being fun, or from selling 10x as many units as Witcher 2.
maybe but do not forget many console players went into DA:O blind. The marketing campaign worked to get people to play an RPG. Not sure if DA2 will come close to matching the sales.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Salaadin said:

Triss jumped into bed with you about 10 minutes into the game. You had to do all kinds of stupid shit - including pleasing the mother - to get in with Shani. That shit's too close to real life.

Triss > Shani

derFeef

WanderingWind said:
Oh, right. It's from that one spin-off of that series that totally ripped off World of Warcraft. BattleHammer or some crap. Much better than Killzone.
I know you are being sarcastic, but my blood is boiling right now.

Salaadin

Desi said:
I am awaiting for some Shani images. Wedding rings may mean nothing because Triss is looking mighty fine in TW2, shit irresistible.

I want confirmation that Shani is even in the game. If I have to play this start to finish with no Shani and Triss hating on me the entire time, Ill be upset.

WanderingWind said:
Triss jumped into bed with you about 10 minutes into the game. You had to do all kinds of stupid shit - including pleasing the mother - to get in with Shani. That shit's too close to real life.

Triss > Shani

LOL! When you put it that way.....

cj_iwakura said:
I went with Triss because she seems understands what Geralt has to do. Shani's too down-to-earth for him.

She was a little shady. After a night of love making, shes speaking to someone in her mirror and she wont tell you what its all about and we never directly find out who it is (at least I never did). Id rather place my trust in the sweet nurse than the shady witch.

I just learned (thanks to this thread) that two of the books are translated. I gotta order them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom