• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - new incredible screens [Update: Added A Lot More In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoy101

WanderingWind said:
Oh, right. It's from that one spin-off of that series that totally ripped off World of Warcraft. BattleHammer or some crap. Much better than Killzone.

Seriously, you need to shut your fucking mouth. I understand what you're trying to do, but its way far over the line and going to incur far too much collateral damage.

Jerk

Banned
Nirolak said:
Alright, so which video card do I need to buy for it to look like this?

Serious question.

Serious-er question:

Who do I have to kill to get this to run at 60fps?

I think it may be time for me to get that GTX 480...

teiresias

So I'm assuming I won't be able to play this at 1920x1200 max settings at 60fps with a GTX460 (@800+clock)?

Also does anyone know where I can get the music from the first game that plays during the evening when you're in that
area with the lady of the lake statue?
. I can't remember what chapter that was, but I remember the music at night having a gorgeous vocal in it, and it doesn't seem to be on the soundtrack.

cj_iwakura

I'm pretty sure Triss is considered canon in W2. I wonder how they'll handle a player choice of Shani from the first game.

JoeBoy101

teiresias said:
So I'm assuming I won't be able to play this at 1920x1200 max settings at 60fps with a GTX460 (@800+clock)?

Hoping my GTX570 will pull it off at 1680x1050 max. I'm reasonably confident, though doubt is nagging on me, especially given the screens shown.

Lonely1 said:
Dam. I wonder if my 2008 build can keep with this game at (close to) Max settings. It's being good so far. Q2Q 9400 @3.2Ghz, GTX 280.

With a 280, I'd think you can keep it close to Max, but we don't have requirements or anything yet so who knows. 280 is pretty good though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dam. I wonder if my 2008 build can keep with this game at (close to) Max settings. It's being good so far. Q2Q 9400 @3.2Ghz, GTX 280.

cj_iwakura

teiresias said:

Also does anyone know where I can get the music from the first game that plays during the evening when you're in that
area with the lady of the lake statue?
. I can't remember what chapter that was, but I remember the music at night having a gorgeous vocal in it, and it doesn't seem to be on the soundtrack.

This one?

Micius

Salaadin said:
I want confirmation that Shani is even in the game. If I have to play this start to finish with no Shani and Triss hating on me the entire time, Ill be upset.

LOL! When you put it that way.....

She was a little shady. After a night of love making, shes speaking to someone in her mirror and she wont tell you what its all about and we never directly find out who it is (at least I never did). Id rather place my trust in the sweet nurse than the shady witch.

I just learned (thanks to this thread) that two of the books are translated. I gotta order them.

The books were quite fun to read after playing the first game. There are some gaps here and there because there's quite a bit of stuff still not translated, but you do find out some interesting details about the characters such as the fact that
Shani stole pharmaceuticals and sold them to pay for her medical education
and quite a bit about Triss'
love life, that she's messed around quite a bit which was supposedly typical for a sorceress, and that before Geralt's death, return and memory loss, Triss loved Geralt more than he loved her (though Geralt was very kind to her and took care of her while she was suffering from dysentery) and Geralt had stronger feelings for Yennefer (who died in her attempt to bring Geralt back from the dead before the first game began if I understand it right.)

bengraven

I wonder how much will be carried over to the new save. I'm assuming just your final choice in alliances and probably who takes care of Alvin.

Minsc

Gold Member
bengraven said:
I wonder how much will be carried over to the new save. I'm assuming just your final choice in alliances and probably who takes care of Alvin.

From the unofficial FAQ:

- Save load could import swords, armor and some of the character’s attributes. The most important choices from TW1 will somehow affect TW2’s gameplay
- These, who don’t have save, but remember choices made in TW1 will be able to quick – define them

So attributes and some weapons/armor, could be nice. If you don't have a save you'll be able to answer a few questions but probably lose out on bonus stats/items from your prior game.

There's some other nice tidbits in there too (and a whole ton of spoilers, so be careful):

• Insane level will be unclocked after completing game on hard
• No level scaling. Dragging an inexperienced character to dangerous locations – it’s a suicide

I didn't realize/remember insane mode required finishing the game, and nice to hear there will be absolutely no level scaling.

Avyrocky said:
Will 5870 be okay for this game?

All anyone can do at this point is speculate. A 5870 probably can max the game at a slow framerate, but who knows. Maybe it will max it at near 60fps, probably not. Maybe a 6950 or 570 won't even max it, they probably will, but who knows. Hopefully CD Projekt sheds some light on performance soon, but they're probably still optimizing everything.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
JoeBoy101 said:
Seriously, you need to shut your fucking mouth. I understand what you're trying to do, but its way far over the line and going to incur far too much collateral damage.

Seriously, chill out, bro.

Haunted

Bioware shamed.

So that's what a game made for the PC in 2011 can look like. See it and weep "I'm fine with PS360 graphics for another couple years" brigade.

JWong

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
I'm pretty sure Triss is considered canon in W2. I wonder how they'll handle a player choice of Shani from the first game.
You broke up with her and went to Triss after a few days.

Because Shani is whiny bitch.
SCHUEY F1 said:
Could someone recommend me a good video card for around $100 to $150.
Put on $50 more and get the GTX460. Best value card.

Midou

Minsc said:
A 5870 probably can max the game at a slow framerate, but who knows. Maybe it will max it at near 60fps, probably not. Maybe a 6950 or 570 won't even max it, they probably will, but who knows. Hopefully CD Projekt sheds some light on performance soon, but they're probably still optimizing everything.

A 5870 better run it on high with 60 FPS at the very least, I mean other than a few unoptimized games, a 5870 can tear through anything, to go from overkill to not enough would be pretty lame.

Micius said:
The books were quite fun to read after playing the first game. There are some gaps here and there because there's quite a bit of stuff still not translated, but you do find out some interesting details about the characters such as the fact that
Shani stole pharmaceuticals and sold them to pay for her medical education
and quite a bit about Triss'
love life, that she's messed around quite a bit which was supposedly typical for a sorceress, and that before Geralt's death, return and memory loss, Triss loved Geralt more than he loved her (though Geralt was very kind to her and took care of her while she was suffering from dysentery) and Geralt had stronger feelings for Yennefer (who died in her attempt to bring Geralt back from the dead before the first game began if I understand it right.)

Yennefer is canon for Geralt.

JoeBoy101

WanderingWind said:
Seriously, chill out, bro.

Hey, touch the third rail... etc. etc. Not saying, I'm just saying, know what I'm saying?

Schuey F1 said:
Thanks. I might go with the Radeon 5770.

Edit: Also need to check my power supply.

Drop in on the "I need a new PC" thread here and post your system stats and what you want to do with it. Even though we don't know the requirements of W2, we can make some reasonable estimations and you can get advise if anything other than GPU needs upgrading.

Haunted

careful said:
Hot damn...
What are these guys' budget compared to other big AAA studios? Why does this game look better than what most AAA studio can output? I always assumed CDProject was a relatively small eastern European team working with smaller budget.
Yes.
Much smaller. PC-centric development. They are.

Welcome to the world of PC development.

Pooya

vg247 had this interview with Tomasz Gop a couple of days ago, I think it wasn't posted here:
http://www.vg247.com/2011/02/15/broom-slick-the-witcher-2s-tomasz-gop-gears-for-launch/

PC performance
The minimum requirements were outed in a dev diary last December and have now been published on Steam: you’ll need at least a dual core 2.2 GHz CPU, 1Gb of RAM for Windows XP and 2Gb of RAM for Vista and Windows 7, and a GeForce 8800 512 MB or similar.

“These are not too high,” says Gop. “They’re OK. I think most people have at least computers like this.”
The producer wouldn’t confirm a recommended spec, however.

“With high-end machines? I don’t want to name detailed specs, but if you consider a high-end machine with at least one of the best, if not the best, graphics card or processor on the market, you will be able to play the game with full detail and full HD and is going to be smooth. At least, like, I don’t know that, 30fps.”

console
“Until we have anything solid to show or to say, I’d rather keep my mouth shut. But we’re doing everything we can, I can promise that.”
“I wouldn’t say is going to be visually noticeable,” he says. “Of course, what I say can’t be too official, but from the tests that we’ve done so far it’s possible to do a game that looks as good as what you’ve seen on trailers, and it works on consoles smoothly.

“It’s doable to make a game that won’t be crap.”

DLC

“I can’t say anything specific, I can’t promise anything for sure, but what I can say is that if at any point in the future we will be announcing and then releasing DLC for the Witcher 2, it’s definitely not going to be a sword pack or anything,” says Gop.

“If we’re ever going to do this it’s going to be something bigger, and if we want people to pay for this is going to be definitely worth the money. So, if it does happen in the future, it’s going to be more of a campaign.”

Witcher 3

“The outro from the Witcher 1 already showed you that there would be a Witcher 2,” he says. “Anybody that played the Witcher already knew what we had in mind from the very beginning. Wait and see the Witcher 2 at the very end. You will know whether or not the Witcher 3 might or might not happen, but I promise you that obviously we know that already.

HOLY MOTHER SMOKES THOSE SCREENS.

Game of the year it seems.

BTW, Im in the half of the first book, The Last Wish, and its really really great. It feels exactly the same as the first game, which makes the game even more awesome for staying really true to the source material, even in feeling.
The small stories in the first book are really fun and interesting, to know more about Geralt's world. How Geralt speaks and thinks, how the characters that surround him are, the grey decissions Geralt has to face, the sex, and the fun but intelligent dialog, is all there. What a fantastic fantasy world Andrej Sapokwski created.

Ive read in some forums the english translation ifeels very dry, but holy fuck, the spanish translation, that is the one im reading, is fucking great. Too bad that as I played the game in english (the spanish dub was atrocious) monster names are named differently, so is not easy to think about them how they looked in the game, and Im not accostumed to call Vizima (english) Wyzimia or Dandelion (english) Jaskier.

cj_iwakura said:
I didn't like Geralt's redesign at first, but it's growing on me.

I really like it, it very similar to the Geralt of the spanish version book covers, that is really awesome.
There is also artworks in the middle of the books with important characters, like Triss or Dandelion (Jaskier), and those also look very similar to their The Witcher 2 counterparts.
394-1.jpg

I havent seen any of this artworks (they are really real photos tweaked with photoshop) anywere more, so I dont know if you can see them in other version books or other offcial Witcher media.

Castor Krieg said:
Yennefer is canon for Geralt.
But
she is dead so...
Going by the books, Triss would have been Geralts election probably in the Witcher 1.

Minsc

Gold Member
Gully State said:
What's with high predictions in hardware reqs? Last I remember the recommended specs weren't that high.

People seem to be extremely impressed with the screenshots, and there's no information to go by, other than minimum specs for poor performance.

EviLore said:
This link is updated regularly with recommended components for each price range:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png

Neat, never saw that before, if it is updated regularly, could be useful for quick reference and to cross-reference system build guides with whenever I need to upgrade.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
JoeBoy101 said:
Hey, touch the third rail... etc. etc. Not saying, I'm just saying, know what I'm saying?

Drop in on the "I need a new PC" thread here and post your system stats and what you want to do with it. Even though we don't know the requirements of W2, we can make some reasonable estimations and you can get advise if anything other than GPU needs upgrading.

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

But back on topic, I'm probably going to get a whole new PC just for this game. Hyped to the extreme for this.

JoeBoy101

The minimum requirements were outed in a dev diary last December and have now been published on Steam: you’ll need at least a dual core 2.2 GHz CPU, 1Gb of RAM for Windows XP and 2Gb of RAM for Vista and Windows 7, and a GeForce 8800 512 MB or similar.

“These are not too high,” says Gop. “They’re OK. I think most people have at least computers like this.”
The producer wouldn’t confirm a recommended spec, however.

“With high-end machines? I don’t want to name detailed specs, but if you consider a high-end machine with at least one of the best, if not the best, graphics card or processor on the market, you will be able to play the game with full detail and full HD and is going to be smooth. At least, like, I don’t know that, 30fps.”

30?!? Fuuuuuuuuuck. Better be at least.

If they're calling for 8800 minimum, then guessing off my ass, I'd say 460 on up will get you high to near max. GTX200 series will get you mid to high, and below that low to mid. GTX 480 on up will get you max at some type of playable framerate.

Again, my bullshit conjecture.

Wandering Wind said:
Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

But back on topic, I'm probably going to get a whole new PC just for this game. Hyped to the extreme for this.

Glad I already got my machine regardless of the Cougar Point snafu on SB chips. Don't need that many SATA ports, m'self. March is going to be a BUSY fucking gaming month.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Minsc said:
Neat, never saw that before, if it is updated regularly, could be useful for quick reference and to cross-reference system build guides with whenever I need to upgrade.

It's immediately updated any time new components come out, from what I've seen. Very handy guide.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
But
she is dead so...
Going by the books, Triss would have been Geralts election probably in the Witcher 1.

I hope that part of Witcher 1 will turn out to be false. Same thing happened with
Triss
in the books.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
SCHUEY F1 said:
I can't even run the first game max :(

I need a new card.
First game used Aurora engine.. that bloated piece of shit Bioware engine that was used for NWN2 as well. i fully expect this in-house engine of theirs to run better than TW1 on the same hardware. You could have Sandy Bridge, SLI video setup, 32GB ram.. and the first game still wont run a stable 60fps.

Micius

Castor Krieg said:
I hope that part of Witcher 1 will turn out to be false. Same thing happened with
Triss
in the books.

I'm kind of annoyed that they did that to Yennefer. I've only read the translated Sapkowski books so I don't know what happens after Blood of Elves, but it did irk me that Yenn and Ciri who are probably the two most important people to Geralt were both missing in the first game without us ever finding out why beyond a few rumors here and there.

water_wendi said:
First game used Aurora engine.. that bloated piece of shit Bioware engine that was used for NWN2 as well. i fully expect this in-house engine of theirs to run better than TW1 on the same hardware. You could have Sandy Bridge, SLI video setup, 32GB ram.. and the first game still wont run a stable 60fps.

Actually it wasn't even the NWN2 engine, it was the NWN engine. Easy mistake to make though considering The Witcher looks better than NWN2... :p

Micius said:
I'm kind of annoyed that they did that to Yennefer. I've only read the translated Sapkowski books so I don't know what happens after Blood of Elves, but it did irk me that Yenn and Ciri who are probably the two most important people to Geralt were both missing in the first game without us ever finding out why beyond a few rumors here and there.
If you have the innkeeper tell you a story in chapter 4 he'll tell you everything about Ciri and the fates of Geralt and Yennefer that you haven't read yet.

n0n44m

water_wendi said:

actually with Sandy Bridge (-K) it does run at a stable 60fps in my experience (1080p maxed out, Nvidia GTX480)

the main issue with the engine is that it is using only a single core/thread, and given the strength of the Sandy Bridge cores and their ability to easily run at 4.5ish ghz this no longer becomes an issue to get 60+ fps

but no doubt The Witcher 2 will be much more optimized =]

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
BruceLeeRoy said:
Good lord those screens are absolutely incredible.

For real.

That shit looks hot. The Witcher: Enhanced is still a fine looking game, but those shots are on a whole nother level. Thank the Maker for PC gaming.

JoeBoy101

Snuggler said:
For real.

That shit looks hot. The Witcher: Enhanced is still a fine looking game, but those shots are on a whole nother level. Thank the Maker for PC gaming.

lol

Thanks for that.

Pooya

BruceLeeRoy said:
I never played the Witcher. Can I get a synopsis of it somewhere I really want to be ready for this game.
they've said that Witcher 2 will have a similar thing like Mass Effect 2 comic on PS3, so you might want to wait for that.

JoeBoy101

BruceLeeRoy said:
I never played the Witcher. Can I get a synopsis of it somewhere I really want to be ready for this game.

HAHA Bless you OP.
fapmorte.gif

I sincerely suggest get the first one. Not the least of which, save games from the first can be imported to the second game. I'm a sucker for importing save games into sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom