• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Is your system ready - Nvidia official system requirements

120v

I wonder how my 970 will handle the gameworks stuff targeting 40-60 fps... hoping with a mix of high and ultra I could pull it off. guess i'll gave to wait for the performance thread to be sure

GavinUK86

I wonder how my 970 will handle the gameworks stuff targeting 40-60 fps... hoping with a mix of high and ultra I could pull it off. guess i'll gave to wait for the performance thread to be sure

Someone in the comments section asked about a 970 and gameworks and got a response saying it'll get a nearly constant 60fps.

Mahnmut

Going PS4. My poor 670 is quickly being left behind. :(

I also have a 670 and a PS4, and I've never seen (yet) a multi platform game running/looking better on the PS4 than what can be achieve on my rig. Sure the card is getting old but I think the game will be running nicely (not on ultra obviously).

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I would just rather play at 30 lock with all dials turned on instead of hovering at 40-50. Unless of course you have a Gsync monitor.

dlauv

Running this on a 660ti and not worried in the least.

Shame the game isn't cpu intensive.

Guide me... Nvidia experience....

I was thinking of building a similar system soon. I honestly think that outside of some drastic changes in the way games utilize CPUs that system will last you for years. I've had an Intel i7 860 with 6Gb DDR3 since ~2010 and its been fine.

Yeah I decided to go for the 5820K for the high individual core performance and so when DX12 is standard I have 6 cores and 12 threads to be fully utilized. I might upgrade the GPU next year to a Pascal card if it's that significantly better.

OraleeWey

Guys, what is gameworks?

Also, how well can I run this? This is my first build and I'm asking for real, I'm not "sneak bragging", I know people hate that.

My rig is
i7 4790k @4.0ghz
16gb ram
PCS+ Radeon R9 290X

InfYn

Guys, what is gameworks?

Also, how well can I run this? This is my first build and I'm asking for real, I'm not "sneak bragging", I know people hate that.

My rig is
i7 4790k @4.0ghz
16gb ram
PCS+ Radeon R9 290X

Gameworks is an nvidia specific library of technologies that devs can use in their games instead of building their own tech.

That's a good build, no doubt 60fps at 1080p high-ultra, especially if AMD pushes out a driver for the game.

Guys, what is gameworks?

My rig is
i7 4790k @4.0ghz
16gb ram
PCS+ Radeon R9 290X

GameWorks is nvidia features that look great but are huge performance hits. Their version of TressFX and HBAO+

Your rig will work just fine in playing at 1080p on Ultra without gameworks

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
SLI looks perfect to me and scales at 95-99% at 4K, and only slightly lower at 1080p. AA is also working just fine with SLI.

Hell yes.

This sounds great.

Pardon my ignorance, but I upgraded to SLI for this game, and also my first time ever using Nvidia or dual cards period.

Does scaling 95%-99% mean a 99% increase in performance with a second card while in 4K?

SLI EVGA 970 FTWs
i7 3770k

30FPS Uber Settings+Gameworks @ 4K. Sound doable?

OraleeWey

Gameworks is an nvidia specific library of technologies that devs can use in their games instead of building their own tech.

That's a good build, no doubt 60fps at 1080p high-ultra, especially if AMD pushes out a driver for the game.
Sweet. Is PC gaming leaned more to nvidia? Do they have the market?

viveks86

SLI looks perfect to me and scales at 95-99% at 4K, and only slightly lower at 1080p. AA is also working just fine with SLI.

ET6XXXL.gif

Saying all the right things, bruh!

UnrealEck

He edited in the "60 FPS" bit after my reply.

My own edit: He then changed "980" to "970".

The Geforce site's comments really needs an edit history link so you can view edits. I can understand how these sort of things can blow up on the internet and cause a shit storm for you guys.

UnrealEck

16GB DDR4? Lol OK

To eliminate bottlenecks. This is all about the graphics cards.
Regardless though, DDR4 isn't going to offer much more performance in games than DDR3. Even the fastest DDR4 (I think there's only one speed atm) compared to 'slow' DDR3 (like 1066MHz or something) won't make much difference in games.

MaLDo

Hell yes.

This sounds great.

Pardon my ignorance, but I upgraded to SLI for this game, and also my first time ever using Nvidia or dual cards period.

Does scaling 95%-99% mean a 99% increase in performance with a second card while in 4K?

For every not cpu bottlenecked scene, yes. Btw, Andy says TW3 is not a cpu bound game at all.

SLI EVGA 970 FTWs
i7 3770k

30FPS Uber Settings+Gameworks @ 4K. Sound doable?

Nobody knows this now. I bet you will be nearer to 60 than 30.

Geoff9920

Hmm, stick with my 780 @ 1440p for the time being or upgrade? The rest of my PC is in great shape (4790k, etc.) but I've been trying to hold out until we get more DX12 news. However, if there was any game that could change my mind it's this one...

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Yep, sorry. My trusty 780ti. Sold my 780 when they came out for the same price I purchased it for.

Hey no problem. By the way, is that 3GB version?

It would be interesting to see how it performs in Witcher 3 if VRAM goes around 3GB on Uber settings.

Waxwing

Oy.....sounds like I've got some tough decisions with my 780 :p And I bought the thing a year ago when I thought the game was coming out late summer/early fall......which was stupid.

jimmypop

Banned
The hate for the 780Ti in this thread is a bit much. 384-bit memory bus, y'all!

Seriously, my 780Tis in 2xSLI are holding their own at 1440P just fine with maxed out settings in games today, thank you very much.

Itachi87

Fuck it, going Uber settings with Gameworks on the 970. Performance be damned.
^same. Here's hoping the newest nVidia drivers improves performance even more. Realistically, though I probably will end up having to turn some GFX settings to high to maintain a steady frame rate.

Kinthalis

Banned
Assuming there are no other bottlenecks...

Well, yes, that's why saying it scales at 99% is meaningless unless you state the resolution and graphics settings.

So asusming we have a baseline in the settings and you're benchmarking at say 1440p both times, if you said it sees scaling of 99%, I'd assume than if one card got 30FPS at 1440p with the same settings, two are getting 60 FPS.

Guess I'll have to go with a mix of Medium and High for 780 @ 1440p

I have a 1440p monitor, though I also have a GTX 980. I'm going to try setting the driver to "no scaling" and see what it looks like at 1:1 1080p. I want Gameworks. I'll try it both ways though.

viveks86

Well, yes, that's why saying it scales at 99% is meaningless unless you state the resolution and graphics settings.

So asusming we have a baseline in the settings and you're benchmarking at say 1440p both times, if you said it sees scaling of 99%, I'd assume than if one card got 30FPS at 1440p with the same settings, two are getting 60 FPS.

Agreed

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
For every not cpu bottlenecked scene, yes. Btw, Andy says TW3 is not a cpu bound game at all.

Nobody knows this now. I bet you will be nearer to 60 than 30.

You'll essentially get almost double the performance when you go from one to two GPUs.
That of course doesn't necessarily mean double the framerate though.

Awesome. Thanks! So pumped. Just got home from work, going to fool around with EVGA Precision X and see if I can't squeeze a little extra out of my cards.

I thought fluid simulation murdered performance on anything other than small scale even on the best setups?

tumblr_nd79dxDElS1rbijdfo2_500.gif

Looks like it was running okay a couple years back.

Well I don't have a six core cpu or ddr4 ram, but I do have a 4790k and 32gb of ddr3 paired with 2 980s. So I should be golden for 1440p, ultra with gameworks.

Super fucking excited about this game!

Top Bottom