• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Is your system ready - Nvidia official system requirements

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wonder what the game will require to maintain 60 at avg settings at 720p?
I remember witcher 2 being ridiculously optimized to the point that it ran solidly on my old laptop which had an ATi 5xxxx line of mobile GPU's.

I have a 970 and was hoping to enable some of the gameworks stuff. How demanding is that stuff? If I turn a couple features from Uber to High could I get Gameworks running smoothly on my 970?

viveks86

Read on the Gameworks page but still a little bit confused, is it a tool for developers? is it a extra setting option with more eyecandy?

Both. It's a set of libraries/APIs that devs can use to bring us more eye candy. In this case, hair works, HBAO and PhysX.

Better than a PS4, not as good as current gen GPU's, is the short of it. Benchmarks should start appearing soon,I hope!

LOL. You couldn't sit still for an hour without dragging PS4 through the mud could you? :p

wtf is this shit? Is that chart for real?!

Uhm, yeah? Why?

shandy706

So it looks like I can do Uber with Gameworks at 30fps+ safely.

This is saying it includes AA too doesn't it?

I don't care about AA much, unless I'm taking screenshots, so maybe I can push closer to 60fps. I'll crank everything and see how she does. Then I'll toss in some low level AA and see how far it goes to stay above 30.

i7 920 @ 3.4ghz
GTX 980
9GB Triple Channel

Not too worried, and happy to see something pushing these cards.

I also tend to try out downsampling with all other AA off. Sometimes that works even better. I'll test 1440p down to 1080p too.

Here I am with my i5 4690k, gtx 970 and 8 gb of ddr3. Hoping to get 60 fps at 1080p, with high settings and a few things on uber.

Anyone with a similar rig? what are your expectations?

UnrealEck

I don't know how people can stomach 30 FPS on a PC. It looks horrible. Worse than 30 on a console from what I can remember. Maybe due to frame pacing or something.

Both. It's a set of libraries/APIs that devs can use to bring us more eye candy. In this case, hair works, HBAO and PhysX.

So in this case I have a 970 how do I go about activating gameworks for Witcher 3?, is it in the Witcher graphic options settings or in the Nvidia drivers? because going by the descriptions in the OP Uber Settings doesn't mean GW is on.

viveks86

So it looks like I can do Uber with Gameworks at 30fps+ safely.

This is saying it includes AA too doesn't it?

I don't care about AA much, unless I'm taking screenshots, so maybe I can push closer to 60fps. I'll crank everything and see how she does. Then I'll toss in some low level AA and see how far it goes to stay above 30.

i7 920 @ 3.4ghz
GTX 980
9GB Triple Channel

It does include AA, but keep in mind that it's single-toggle post process AA, which isn't going to give you the kind of performance bump you are expecting by disabling it.

Daingurse

Got an i7 980x @ 4.0GHZ, and a G1 970 with a modest overclock. Think I lost the silicone lottery again with my card. Going to try and play using Uber settings at 1080p with all Gameworks features enabled, will probably lock the game at 30fps.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I don't know how people can stomach 30 FPS on a PC. It looks horrible. Worse than 30 on a console from what I can remember. Maybe due to frame pacing or something.

It does look worse than on consoles. That said, I can do it if it means pumping up the fidelity. Though I would preferably have both framerate and fidelity obviously.

Hell, I cranked up Crysis all the way to max even though it means I played the entire game at around 25fps.Although that was distinctly easier than most games due to the MB.

dEvAnGeL

Wait a second, so a 980 wont give you 60 frames at 1080p with everything uber plus hair works? I thought they said it would, now im starting to regret buying the card if i have to start to dial settings down

so, even if I were to cap the game at 30 fps, I wouldnt be able to get gameworks on my 970? This is very disappointing if so

Um, no?

Of course you could.

EDIT: Why do people post uninformed statements and questioning? Surely it is not hard to come to an understanding of what your hardware is or is not capable of.

UnrealEck

How does a 680 4gb compare to the 900 series cards? Is it up there with the 970?

GTX 680 is very slightly below the 770, which is even more below the 970. You'll still get great performance though. You'll need to turn something down a notch though to get similar framerates to a GTX 970.

Wait a second, so a 980 wont give you 60 frames at 1080p with everything uber plus hair works? I thought they said it would, now im starting to regret buying the card if i have to start to dial settings down

It will give you around 60 FPS.
The target is to keep it above 40 FPS. It'll likely stay around 60. If you want to avoid turning settings down in brand new games to keep high framerates, you needed to buy a Titan X.

viveks86

So in this case I have a 970 how do I go about activating gameworks for Witcher 3?, is it in the Witcher graphic options settings or in the Nvidia drivers? because going by the descriptions in the OP Uber Settings doesn't mean GW is on.

The in-game graphics settings have them. Hairworks can be switched on manually for any setting. It is on by default for Uber and you can choose to switch it off. HBAO+ requires you to set Ambient Occlusion to "Quality" in your control panel (or you could use HBAO in-game setting for AO). I'm not sure if the in-game HBAO is the same as the Nvidia HBAO+, so either Andy can confirm or we can find out at launch. PhysX comes by default and you can't really change it.

Bl@de

The Witcher 3: Is your system ready - Nvidia official system requirements

tumblr_inline_ng9mbwmtil1t040mv.gif

shandy706

It does include AA, but keep in mind that it's single-toggle post process AA, which isn't going to give you the kind of performance bump you are expecting by disabling it.

That's cool. I always keep my expectations low, but games tend to do much better when I actually run them. The 920 has been ridiculous, I have the RAM, and my 980.

I'll play around with the game's AA, some forced AA, and downsampling to find what I want to play at ;).

I just want to avoid screen tearing.

Um, no?

Of course you could.

EDIT: Why do people post uninformed statements and questioning? Surely it is not hard to come to an understanding of what your hardware is or is not capable of.

because I literally just got my 970 yesterday...not sure why you have to be a condescending dick, but ok

Looks like this will be the first game I get that will eat my 560ti alive. It's the 448 cores variant which has great overclocking ability, but even so I think 30fps at medium-low might barely be within reach.

For those who are planning to play at 30fps remember to set vsync to "1/2 refresh rate," cap fps to 30, AND use RivaTuner to lock fps to 30. This is the only way I get consistent, smooth frame timing at 30fps.

edit:
It looked horrible until I added RivaTuner into the mix. It makes it look identical to consoles' 30fps.

baphomet

Should we be concerned that the CPU in those requirements is more than what the majority of people probably spent on their entire PC?

i5 4690k @4.4
GTX 970 sli both OC'ed
32GB 1866mhz DDR3

Playing at 1080p I should be able to keep this up above 60fps pretty signicantly?

dEvAnGeL

Should we be concerned that the CPU in those requirements is more than what the majority of people probably spent on their entire PC?

i5 4690k @4.4
GTX 970 sli both OC'ed
32GB 1866mhz DDR3

Playing at 1080p I should be able to keep this up above 60fps pretty signicantly?
I have a i7 2600k @ 4.2, that should do the job, at least i hope it does

baphomet

You happen to unfortunately be the post I quoted, but yes, it is somewhat distressing that you bought something very expensive without knowing how well it works or not.

Yes, for something that isn't released with requirements released today. How uninformed of him.

Yes, for something that isn't released with requirements released today. How uninformed of him.

This entire thread is an OP about how the 970 (and other similar cards) runs. Yes, not reading the OP and asking a question is quite uninformed. Or even taking the 5 seconds to perhaps calculate in the brain that a 970 is how much worse than a 980?

Majukun

one guy in another forum is going taking his pc copy of the game..he runs amd..so we might eve have some info on that shortly

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The in-game graphics settings have them. Hairworks can be switched on manually for any setting. It is on by default for Uber and you can choose to switch it off. HBAO+ requires you to set Ambient Occlusion to "Quality" in your control panel (or you could use HBAO in-game setting for AO). I'm not sure if the in-game HBAO is the same as the Nvidia HBAO+, so either Andy can confirm or we can find out at launch. PhysX comes by default and you can't really change it.

'In-game HBAO' is NVIDIA HBAO+. It was merely a typo in the menu, and it has been fixed now.

baphomet

This entire thread is an OP about how the 970 (and other similar cards) runs. Yes, not reading the OP and asking a question is quite uninformed. Or even taking the 5 seconds to perhaps calculate in the brain that a 970 is how much worse than a 980?

Did you even pay attention to the rest of the components in that chart? A 970 doesn't guarantee that when the CPU in that build is $1000 alone.

pahamrick

Borderless window mode + external program to cap FPS at 30 to play on my TV.

I've had no problems with any game that allows me to do that, and doesn't feel or look any worse than a console at 30fps to me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Did you even pay attention to the rest of the components in that chart? A 970 doesn't guarantee that when the CPU in that build is $1000 alone.

The CPU doesn't really come into play in this game according the the Nvidia Rep. any i5-i7 should be fine.

Em. Not manage 30 fps (AKA what he asked about)? (even ignoring that Andy says in this thread that the game isn't CPU intensive)
I imagine even a 8350 will get 30fps regardless of ingame settings.

shiyrley

Banned
I as well. Although, I have absolutely no idea what's worth it when it comes to video cards. I don't even try to keep up with that because they just keep coming endlessly.

Is 660 ti even considered decent anymore?
Decent, mostly yes, especially if you have the 3 GB model. For example I can run GTA V with high settings at 1080p (FXAA) 60 FPS. But I have the 2 GB (which is actually 1.5 + 512 MB, just like the 970 4 GB is 3.5 GB + 512 MB) so I have serious issues with textures. For example in GTA V high textures means some issues loading the city (some stuff dissapearing sometimes) albeit it's rare. High texture quality in Dying Light means some stuttering, and so on.

Top Bottom