• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 next patch first details - 1.05 (PC), 1.04 (console)

Zakalwe

Banned
Who is ignoring that it's complex? Just because I don't use that as an excuse to take away responsability doesn't mean I'm not aware about the complexity. All I'm saying is that it IS their responsability to release the game without major bugs, something that you refuses to aknowledge because apparently game development is a completely wild card and you have no control over QA. Yes they are doing their best to correct their mistake, and that is great, but no more than one should expect.

If they believed they had no responsability over this, their QA process would never get more efficient. Your whole point is just silly, I'm sorry. Just because they are doing their best it doesn't mean they have no responsability.

I think they are doing an ok job about this. Not bad, but their communication could be much better. My beef is with people coming in a topic about the patch, getting on their high horses to criticize people who might be overreacting. Someone said that you can complain and not be a dick about it. I agree. But I also think you can tell people to relax and not be a dick about it.

Point out where I've been a dick and I'll apologise.

Also it isn't their responsibility to release a perfect product, it's their responsibility to do the best they can.

Major bugs happen sometimes too, and yes they should do everything they can to launch without them. Sometimes they do everything they reasonably can and major bugs happen. Regardless of responsibility, this is the unfortunate truth.

That's all we can expect. And as you acknowledge game development is complex you'll be contradicting yourself if you say otherwise.

This isn't a downgrade argument. This is a discussion about one of the core functions of an RPG being broken in an RPG. It's more frustrating because the game is so good and for many of us the issue cropped up 30+ hours into our game. We don'r want to shelve it. We don't want to be upset. We just want some clear communication and going from having a set date for a fix to maybe getting it over a week later is added frustration.

I responded to someone about the 'downgrade issue', I didn't bring it up.

Nothing wrong with your last part, perfectly reasonable.
That doesn't accurately reflect a fair percentage of the posters responding though.

Wading through the 'CDPR are incompetent liars' crap is somewhat tiresome.

Yep, this is just a continuation of the cycle for them. They put their foot in their mouth by over promising and then slowly walk it back without being up front. First it was the graphics, then some of the day one issues and now this.

It's honestly a really disgusting display they continue to put on. Just don't lie! Is it that fucking hard!

I mean... it could be that their fix broke something else or that the bug was far more complex than they realized. That sort of thing is extremely common in software development. To just conclude that they're lying without knowing the details seems pretty ignorant to me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
rage aside in the last few pages, all I would like to know if there has been any word on when the patch might be out?

Zakalwe

Banned
rage aside in the last few pages, all I would like to know if there has been any word on when the patch might be out?

Soon. They can't give a definite answer as they're still working it out.

Seems to be a complex issue. They said the XP fix wasn't simple enough to just hotfix, unfortunately.

heringer

Point out where I've been a dick and I'll apologise.

Also it isn't their responsibility to release a perfect product, it's their responsibility to do the best they can.

That's all we can expect. And as you acknowledge game development is complex you'll be contradicting yourself if you say otherwise.

I'm sure vendors, manufacturers and service providers all over the world would love to use the "my responsability is only to do the best I can, and I did" line. Thankfully, common sense prevent them from doing so.

It's not about being perfect. Small bugs are within people's expectations about a game as a product. A serious bug about XP not being rewarded in a RPG is not something consumers expect from a retail product. It's very disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Lowmelody

Man it sucks having the XP problem on PC, I would be livid if I had it on consoles and had to wait the extra week for cert for something big like this.

Also outside the realm of social issues there isn't anything more frustrating to read than posters running interference for devs by belittling and tone policing people that are angry something they paid money for isn't working as it should. There's always gotta be one or two in threads like this telling everyone how much above it all they are for not caring about the issues.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm sure vendors, manufacturers and service providers all over the world would love to use the "my responsability is only to do the best I can, and I did" line. Thankfully, common sense prevent them from doing so.

It's not about being perfect. Small bugs are within people's expectations about a game as a product. A serious bug about XP not being rewarded in a RPG is not something consumers expect from a retail product. It's very disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Yes, it's not something we expect but it_does_occur (major bugs).

What do you want exactly?

GavinUK86

Man it sucks having the XP problem on PC, I would be livid if I had it on consoles and had to wait the extra week for cert for something big like this.

Good thing with PC is that you can give yourself any missing XP if you really want to.

Do I need to go to blacksmith in order to use Temerian Armor Set.
Cannot see it anywhere in my inventory.

Doesn't a guy in the starting area sell that?

Do I need to go to blacksmith in order to use Temerian Armor Set.
Cannot see it anywhere in my inventory.

You can buy it from the merchant you rescued at the beginning of the game back in White Orchard, on the way to the village. He's right beside the fast travel sign.

heringer

Yes, it's not something we expect but it_does_occur (major bugs).

What do you want exactly?

I believe I stated "what I wanted" already. I'm puzzled about what YOU want trying to constrain people from complaining about the delaying of a bug fix in a topic about a patch for the aforementioned bug.

Good thing with PC is that you can give yourself any missing XP if you really want to.

Is there a list anywhere of the XP rewards for quests anywhere?

I have a couple of days where I have 3-4 hours free before bar prep kicks into overdrive and I wouldn't mind just using console commands (I'm assuming that's what it is) to manually give me the XP and replicate the experience.

bronk

Banned
Larger text!?!? Im so happy i was playing game sitting right in front of tv because i couldn't read anything. Thank you!

Jonm1010

Banned
Didn't realise I wasn't allowed to discuss the issue because I hadn't experienced the glitch.

Also, I've been on the receiving end of worse glitches than this, so I do understand how frustrating it can be.

Constant bitching and making silly absolute statements about the quality of CDPR's talent and character are doing no one any good. Not sure why you're defending that.

I've stated on numerous occasions that I agree there's nothing wrong with making a complaint, but you can do that without getting malicious or overly emotional about it.

It's silly to ignore the fact these things are complex.

What do you want from them exactly?

They give you a deadline and a problem occurs at the last minute and they're liars or incompetent.

They don't say anything and they're hiding something.

They have a relatively small team for the size of the game, and sometimes bugs are rare or aren't apparent for other reasons until the game is in the wild. Do you understand this?

Whats getting tiring is you coming in here and trying to police this thread and stifle peoples vocal frustrations by painting this false caricature that the people complaining are a bunch of irrational hotheads and dismissing every argument off hand you come across then trying to shift responsibility to anyone but CDPR where the entire fault lies. Its old, annoying, disrespectful and shits up the thread.

People have a right to their opinions, if an opinion is egregious enough a mod will take care of it. But frankly I have seen very few if any comments that come across the way you frame them.

Your entire schtick has been to take the side of defending CDPR and come up with excuses. Shift the excuses to something else when one excuse fails(as it did the other day when a poster directly contradicted your assertions about XP being plentiful enough to still platinum the game) That is the opposite of constructive conversation, its white knighting. Its defense-forcing. It's annoying.

Zakalwe

Banned
I believe I stated "what I wanted" already. I'm puzzled about what YOU want trying to constrain people from complaining about the delaying of a bug fix in a topic about a patch for the aforementioned bug.

Likewise, I've answered that /numerous/ times.

Let me rephrase it then:

You acknowledge that sometime complex bugs occur. This is a fact in the gaming industry. Right?

What do you want to happen when a complex bug occurs?

Jonm1010

Banned
Ooooh. Your rage is fully justified then. Lol

Well maybe when they said Monday they really thought it would be ready then?
Did you even take five seconds out from your paroxysm of incandescent fury to consider that?

Don't get me started on the stupid downgrade whingers.

It's always amusing when someone tries to assert a persons state of mind through a computer screen.

Again, they lied, same with the downgrade. There is a very easy fix here and none of the responsibility lies on anyone but CDPR. If they knew it wasn't a sure thing don't make statements like it is. Don't make statements inferencing the fix is finished. Don't backtrack without a good communication line or you are likely to garner frustration.

The fact you and others are having to come up with possible explanations for why these series of events have transpired is a testament to the poor job CDPR has done with communicating about this issue and this patch.

Ezi0

I had the experience glitch (Green or higher quests weren't giving me anything upon completion). However, I just finished the next story quests which had recommended levels of 22 and then 24 and I shot up to level 30 after completion.

heringer

Likewise, I've answered that /numerous/ times.

Let me rephrase it then:

You acknowledge that sometime complex bugs occur. This is a fact in the gaming industry. Right?

What do you want to happen when a complex bug occurs?

I acknowledge that sometimes complex bugs occur, and when they do, the fault is on QA. Like I said, this is not an obscure bug happening to a few people in a very specific set of circunstances. What I expect from them? First to fix the problem with the product, then to make their QA process more efficient. If they think they have no responsability over the problem, the latter will never happen.

I once had a new car I owned recalled by the manufacturer because they had discovered a potential fault in the braking system on that particular model.

They notified me and the other owners quickly, got the cars back in, fixed the fault, gave the cars back.

At no stage did anyone I saw taking their car back kick off and have a hissy fit or start calling the manufacturer incompetent liars. And that's something that's actually more important than a part of your game not working as intended. Everyone i talked to was just glad they were sorting it quickly.

They've said they're trying to fix it. Why the drama?

I had the experience glitch (Green or higher quests weren't giving me anything upon completion). However, I just finished the next story quests which had recommended levels of 22 and then 24 and I shot up to level 30 after completion.

What was your level before hand?

Jonm1010

Banned
You do realizing how hard it is to identify the code that is giving the issue? After finding that code you have to recode it without it breaking anything else in the game. That's something that isn't easily done, especially for a game that is this massive.

No need to attempt to degrade CDPR when they are doing the best they can. They are even keeping everyone in the loop plus daily interactions with all the consumers. What game dev or publisher you can say does that?

No one promised the patch was coming at any days. They said they hoped to have it out Monday. Obviously that didn't happen because maybe something went wrong with the patch to recode the game and it broke something else.

Your only choice with your constant bitching is either to play the game in its current state and avoid the stuff you feel will break the game or shelf it until the patch comes out.

Edit:

And yes I had the game crash on me several times, still doesn't when I play Gwent occasionally. I also has corrupt saves where I had to restart the game. I still managed to redo the entire game and finish it.

Crazy I know, but not everyone has the ability to start a 60 hour plus game from scratch. Not everyone is ok with being a paying Beta tester for games. Not everyone likes being promised a patch by a certain date only for them to go silent and leave people hanging after they were essentially promised a fix by X date.

The problem with todays games is patching. It has allowed developers a get out of jail free card. It has allowed them to release broken games like Skyrim PS3, Unity and severely bugged games like Witcher 3(and to an extent Witcher 2) in a state they know is not ideal because they have the ability to patch fixes in later. Early adopters, the bread and butter of developers, end up getting shafted in this era.

There is a balance between accepting the reality of game development and also expectations for the quality of the product at its release. To me a game that is doing the things you describe should never have been released in that state. Had it been the PS1 era the game would of become a pariah. And for good reason.

Can anybody tell me if the Triss quest in Novigrad is still glitched on PS4? What exactly is glitched about it? (If you can tell me without spoilers please!)

kriskrosbbk

You can buy it from the merchant you rescued at the beginning of the game back in White Orchard, on the way to the village. He's right beside the fast travel sign.

The merchant
you save at the beginning of the game from a griffin
sells it to you.

Guys,Ive downloaded it from the store.It is a free DLC.Do I still need to buy it from that guy,which I already met.

BouncyFrag

Can anybody tell me if the Triss quest in Novigrad is still glitched on PS4? What exactly is glitched about it? (If you can tell me without spoilers please!)
At some point there is a button you have to press to open a door that you must go through. If it glitches, the button doesn't work and stops the main quest in its tracks.

Zakalwe

Banned
I acknowledge that sometimes complex bugs occur, and when they do, the fault is on QA. Like I said, this is not an obscure bug happening to a few people in a very specific set of circunstances. What I expect from them? First to fix the problem with the product, then to make their QA process more efficient. If they think they have no responsability over the problem, the latter will never happen.

Ok, QA could have found it. They didn't. Mistakes happen. If it was the fault of poor QA then they should be criticised for it, but we can't know that for certain correct?

Now CDPR are working on a fix. We can hope they're resolving any QA issues at the same time.

What is the problem with this process?

heringer

I once had a new car I owned recalled by the manufacturer because they had discovered a potential fault in the braking system on that particular model.

They notified me and the other owners quickly, got the cars back in, fixed the fault, gave the cars back.

At no stage did anyone I saw taking their car back kick off and have a hissy fit or start calling the manufacturer incompetent liars. And that's something that's actually more important than a part of your game not working as intended. Everyone i talked to was just glad they were sorting it quickly.

They've said they're trying to fix it. Why the drama?

If you want to go with this comparison (which I don't think applies for various reasons,but let's go with it), a lot of people would get very pissed if they took their car on the promise that it would be back by monday and then suddenly they can't deliver it on monday, but will instead deliver on wednesday. And then the same happen again but now they don't know when they can return your car and nobody over there can give you an straight answer, maybe next week.

I already agreed that no drama is necessary. But if someone is in the mood to overreact here, let them. It's the appropriate thread, they are not doing any harm, they are not hampering any relevant discussion. Just ignore. No need to come rescue the dansel in distress.

heringer

Ok, QA could have found it. They didn't. Mistakes happen. If it was the fault of poor QA then they should be criticised for it, but we can't know that for certain correct?

Now CDPR are working on a fix. We can hope they're resolving any QA issues at the same time.

What is the problem with this process?

There you go. If it was a mistake, it's their fault. QA is not an entity but a process that is part of CDPR, so I'll blame CDPR obviously. We can know for certain that if a major bug comes through it's the QA's fault, directly or indirectly. Directly if it was the incompetence of the people involved in the process, indirectly if the process itself is faulty in the first place (in which case the blame would simply move up to higher pay grade, but all still CDPR).

I don't know what is the problem with their process. It's not my job to know, it's theirs.

Zakalwe

Banned
On second thoughts, I think we've debate this to death.

I hope they fix it soon so those with actual game breaking issues get to experience this awesome game, and I hope the random crashes I've started getting in the last hour (probably serves me right for poking my nose in) go away soon too.

Hoping the new patch doesn't break anything else too.

I already agreed that no drama is necessary. But if someone is in the mood to overreact here, let them. It's the appropriate thread, they are not doing any harm, they are not hampering any relevant discussion. Just ignore. No need to come rescue the dansel in distress.

Er, this is the patch thread, not the 'Thread for people with emotional instability to angrily and irrationally accuse developers of being liars and incompetent'.

I didn't come here to rescue CDRP. I came here to find out if any new information about the patch was available. I couldn't tell because all the angry nerd rage was drowning out anything pertinent.

heringer

Same could be said of your reaction to those calling people on their hostile behaviour. :)

Not the same thing since people overreacting are understandably frustrated by the inability to play the game for over a week (it's completely legitimate to think it's better not to play the game in this state). They were harmed in a way and are, perhaps poorly, reacting to that. How exactly are they harming you?

But you are right. No reason to keep debating this anymore.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not the same thing since people overreacting are understandably frustrated by the inability to play the game for over a week (it's completely legitimate to think it's better not to play the game in this state). They were harmed in a way and are, perhaps poorly, reacting to that. How exactly are they harming you?

If you can be charitable to CDPR, why not do the same for people who are, in your view, overreacting? Only CDPR deserves your understanding?

Na, I'm done dude. Already answered the above multiple times. :)

Here's hoping for a swift fix for everyone!

Jonm1010

Banned
Er, this is the patch thread, not the 'Thread for people with emotional instability to angrily and irrationally accuse developers of being liars and incompetent'.

I didn't come here to rescue CDRP. I came here to find out if any new information about the patch was available. I couldn't tell because all the angry nerd rage was drowning out anything pertinent.

This sort of false caricature painting, hostility toward others, and dismissal of peoples opinions is doing no one any favors.

It is actually much more damaging to a productive thread then any of the things you are bemoaning.

SeanTSC

For most people it seems to mainly affect the set of missions that you do in Novigrad. A lot of other activities and even main quest missions still give XP. Outside of a few edge cases my completely unscientific guess is that the XP bug may cause a loss of 2-3 levels of experience for the entire game. So maybe people would be Level 38 at end game instead of 35. Given that even on Death March the game just gets easier as you go I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that most people who finished the game experienced the bug but never knew they had it.

I've had the bug since about Level 13 or 14 and yet I'm now at Level 21 having only done a single plot mission in Skellige.

Actually at most people would be level 36. The last time that you can get Exp from Story Quests and Side Quests is level 35 due to the highest level quests being only level 30. Past that there are only two Witcher Contracts that give exp at level 36 and they are level 35 and level 33 and not nearly enough to push you to 37.

It's really, really easy to out level the story quests in this game and I find it unlikely that the bug occurs enough to not be in the 32-36 level range at the end of the game. The story quests near the end also just RAIN down exp at you so much so that I missed a bunch of the level 28 ones giving exp due to story quests pushing me so high that they went grey.

This sort of false caricature painting, hostility toward others, and dismissal of peoples opinions is doing no one any favors.

It is actually much more damaging to a productive thread then any of the things you are bemoaning.

So you accusing them of being incompetent liars ad nauseam is adding what exactly?

Anyway I'm bored with all the angst now. I only came here to see if there was any news yet.

I got tired of waiting for the patch and just decided to use the console command to give myself 2 levels worth of xp. I haven't seemed to be getting any xp at all for the story quests I've been doing in the last 15ish hours I've played.

Crazy I know, but not everyone has the ability to start a 60 hour plus game from scratch. Not everyone is ok with being a paying Beta tester for games. Not everyone likes being promised a patch by a certain date only for them to go silent and leave people hanging after they were essentially promised a fix by X date.

The problem with todays games is patching. It has allowed developers a get out of jail free card. It has allowed them to release broken games like Skyrim PS3, Unity and severely bugged games like Witcher 3(and to an extent Witcher 2) in a state they know is not ideal because they have the ability to patch fixes in later. Early adopters, the bread and butter of developers, end up getting shafted in this era.

There is a balance between accepting the reality of game development and also expectations for the quality of the product at its release. To me a game that is doing the things you describe should never have been released in that state. Had it been the PS1 era the game would of become a pariah. And for good reason.

Trust me I agree with you. I want the game patched before another playthrough for me. I hate the idea of multiple patches after release because we basically are beta testers. At the same time I rather them take their time and iron out all the issues they possibly can instead of rushing patches and maybe messing things up even more.

Skyzard

Banned
Where da patch

New DLC is up on GOG anyway.

I got tired of waiting for the patch and just decided to use the console command to give myself 2 levels worth of xp. I haven't seemed to be getting any xp at all for the story quests I've been doing in the last 15ish hours I've played.

Not a bad idea.

Not sure if anyone posted this, I haven't seen it but a mod for PC that fixes the problem somewhat:

Nexus Mods Link

Apparently it gives you ~20% less exp and it also gives you exp for grey quests but a fix is better then no fix, right?

Will try it out and see how it goes.

Those people that are telling everyone to "chill" and to stop overreacting do realize that they're just aggravating that said person even more right?

I think that's bugging me more than the delayed patch at this point.

Alright, well, this is wonderful. Now I can't even launch the fucking game any more. I click 'Play' in GOG Galaxy and I either get an immediate 'The Witcher 3 has stopped working' error message, or a black screen with the Windows 7 spinny loading icon as my mouse cursor and nothing fucking happens until I quit through the task manager. Did the Verify/Repair thing through Galaxy and nothing changed.

Kaversmed

I didn't even notice or care about the stutter before I read about it here on GAF, now I can't unsee it and it's pissing me off. Also, I haven't run into the XP bug yet but now I'm worried I will which is keeping me from playing the damn game.

As soon as I get this upcoming patch downloaded and installed I'm gonna stop reading about any future patches because it only makes me look for those bugs and make me enjoy the game less.

Tovarisc

Alright, well, this is wonderful. Now I can't even launch the fucking game any more. I click 'Play' in GOG Galaxy and I either get an immediate 'The Witcher 3 has stopped working' error message, or a black screen with the Windows 7 spinny loading icon as my mouse cursor and nothing fucking happens until I quit through the task manager. Did the Verify/Repair thing through Galaxy and nothing changed.

That is your problem right there.

---

I over level content I have next to do, but I still can't bring myself to playing before XP patch because thought that I missed out on XP would bug me so much for rest of playthrough. I don't even do and clear content XP in mind, but still...

Sad to see that we still have no news on the patch details, especially for consoles as we don’t have any workarounds like PC do.

Im normally one to give devs the benefit of the doubt and give them the time to sort things out but I must admit that this xp bug really has made things difficult with regards to the game. I have actually stopped playing now (Stopped on Sunday after finishing the majority of the side stuff in Novigrad) because I don’t want to risk getting shafted and it affecting the rest of my play through.

Hopefully they get this issue sorted quickly, but until then it would be nice for some communication on whats going on etc.

GeNoMe

The lack of communication is what bothers me the most. CDPR always portray themselves as this company that values their customers. I'm really disappointed.

Top Bottom