• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Forkball

Everything in the OP was amazing. I cannot wait, but I don't think Witcher's fairly linear structure was a negative point.

waypoetic

Banned
witcher31ukli.png

Mmmm dat hood <3

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Are there people out there who genuinely get upset that fast travel is available to the players that want to use it? It's not like Oblivion level scaling where it effects everyone. You don't have to use it, and you tend to stumble upon more secrets if you don't.

UrbanRats

Are there people out there who genuinely get upset that fast travel is available to the players that want to use it? It's not like Oblivion level scaling where it effects everyone. You don't have to use it, and you tend to stumble upon more secrets if you don't.
If the quests are designed around it, it will affect everyone.
Just like in post Morrowind Bethesda games.
--

Info are fantastic, the screens not so much (but yeah, old render and all that, plus it's completely open world, so in that context it's looking fine).

I had an idea about the sexcards thing - i think sexing around the globe is a part of the Geralt character, not unlike Bond nailing a bond girl in every 007 movie; though the sex cards do not fit in, with the rpg aspect of it (who is painting them? What are they?) and break the 4th wall.
So i think a good way to solve this would be, instead of sex cards, if the girls you sleep with gave you a memento.
A particular object related to that character, that Geralt brings away with him, kind of a more "romantic" twist on it, if you will, but i think it'd be nice.
An elegant way to keep that aspect of the character but without breaking the immersion with tacky cards.

So much this. Fast travel once was feature which had meaning like in Morrowind. You paid fo carriage or boat and you could go to other city. It was also immersive. Same thing with GTA4 taxi service.

the problem with that system though is thats its not seamless. you can't find a carriage or boat at a moment's notice, you have to track one down, go through the animations, etc. and you also have no control. while having that option is great, I think Skyrim's system works well where there is still a change in time of day when you fast travel, so you have a sense of time having passed and your character having travelled. I believe you can also use a carriage in Skyrim can't you? so thats a perfect system.

third person only, and combat poops from a great heigh into the likes of skyrim

If this pans out Bethesda really has to step up their game or they will look foolish compared to this.

They already do. Witcher 2 blows every wrpg out of the water in recent memory. Witcher 3 further cements CDPR's status.

They're already way behind the curve. If it takes a shit-ton of mods to make your game into an actual rpg, you've already failed.

This sounds like the game Skyrim should've been. This is gonna be awesome.

oh for god's sake stop with the hyperbole. its all good and well to have a preferred series/game personally, but do you have to shit on Skyrim lol? behind the curve, really? in what way has CDPR or the Witcher games surpassed Bethesda and Skyrim, commercially or critically? How have they 'cemented' their status? Skyrim is far ahead of Witcher 2 in both sales and metacritic rating.

now you may like Witcher better in every way, and thats fine, it may be a better game to you. but its just absurd saying things like Bethesda is behind the curve lol, or that somehow the status of CDPR is objectively better than Bethesa.

The_Monk

Can't wait to play this hope I can play it on the PS4.

Just take your time CDP I want this game to look good and I want another Set of an amazing Soundtrack.

I quite liked The Witcher 2 after maybe 30-40 minutes so I'm hyped for this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cyberpunk and Bearded Geralt will make my next gen purchase an easy one.

Does that mean Witcher 3 will be out first since there's a whole cover story on it?

Perkel

Banned
the problem with that system though is thats its not seamless. you can't find a carriage or boat at a moment's notice, you have to track one down, go through the animations, etc. and you also have no control. while having that option is great, I think Skyrim's system works well where there is still a change in time of day when you fast travel, so you have a sense of time having passed and your character having travelled. I believe you can also use a carriage in Skyrim can't you? so thats a perfect system.

No it is not. Skyrim was designed around fast travel same as Oblivion. Most of random shitty quest make you go to completely different place at back of the map for fucking dagger.

I don't hate Fast Travel i hate Instant Fast Travel.

Game like Dragons Dogma would be half awesome as it were if it would include instant fast travel. Whole night mechanic would be just useless in that game.

demidar

oh for god's sake stop with the hyperbole. its all good and well to have a preferred series/game personally, but do you have to shit on Skyrim lol? behind the curve, really? in what way has CDPR or the Witcher games surpassed Bethesda and Skyrim, commercially or critically? How have they 'cemented' their status? Skyrim is far ahead of Witcher 2 in both sales and metacritic rating.

now you may like Witcher better in every way, and thats fine, it may be a better game to you. but its just absurd saying things like Bethesda is behind the curve lol, or that somehow the status of CDPR is objectively better than Bethesa.

Yeah man I feel like I do. I loved Morrowind and expected Oblivion to be even better. Nope, they dumbed stuff down but it was still kind of passable and I gave them kind of a pass since it was the dawn of the HD era. Skyrim went even further down the path by removing spellcrafting, making the world boring as shit and filling it with meaningless fluff and draugrs, dragons were more populous than Nords and tedious to fight, lack of world reaction to the player's achievements, cities felt small compared to its predecessors especially if we factor in the Imperia City or Vivec, the civil war storyline was perhaps the least consequential "important" storyline I have ever seen (using hyperbole here but you know what I mean), melee combat system was still utterly terrible that it's analogous to constantly hitting a punching bag, perks were cool in concept but they failed to make them interesting nor diverse, gold quickly loses meaning and value since there's nothing useful to be earned by spending it besides homes, etc.

Now some of this stuff was present in previous entries, no denying that, but you would think that some of it would be ironed out or refined by sequels by using the experience gained from developing previous games. Alas that has not happened.

Another pet peeve, the at-will fast travel system seen in Oblivion and Skyrim essentially makes the player omnipresent, completely shattering the sense of scale of the world. This diminishes the work put into making the world so large if it's a trifle to traverse it and completely removes the sense of adventure and danger of going deep into the wilderness and potentially getting lost or trapped by hostile creatures. Since the player doesn't spend an extended time in any one place the world starts to feel transient and ephemeral like a fever dream.

Pyrrhus

The thing I'm most excited about is what they do to their towns/world approach. The step from 1 to 2 was incredible, and I can only hope they take another full step forward with it all.

Riding a horse... Going to be so great. I hope Roach is there. : D

He names all his horses Roach. Oh, you mean Vernon.

Vasili2K38

You're going to say I'm biased, and whatever, but The Witcher games (even the first one) in terms of questing, story and developing the world are miles ahead of Oblivion and Skyrim. And don't misunderstand me, I have spent around 1000 hours with Skyrim, but the vanilla game is extremely shallow (level scaling, bad loot, bad combat system, shitty magic,etc..). Only after heavily modding it it became one of the greatest games I've played. And the comments about metacritic and sales.. you want a Dorito? :D

Minsc

Gold Member
There can never be enough Witcher, especially with so many great sounding improvements. Bring on the 1600p screens and videos soon CDP! The second wasn't perfect by any means, but it was still a very enjoyable RPG held back by a few flaws, some of which will undoubtably be fixed in the new engine.

This new open world, chapter-less entry in the series sounds like it will bring more changes and new experiences to the game, unlike TW2 was more or less similar to the first game with new combat and a worse UI. I'm pretty excited to see what they end up doing with the no set chapters aspect, I think it will give them a lot more freedom in making your choices matter and in bringing changes to the game world. When you restrict yourself to chapters, there's less choices for the player in what to do next.

Solo

Yeah, officially NOT digging it being open world. In 25 years of gaming I've yet to play more than like 5 open world games that didn't completely lose steam after the first 10 hours or so.

Tread lightly, CDPR :/

ekim

Some major german gaming sites posted the screens. They look good but not that much better than TW2 imho. :eek:

poisonelf

I loved the Witchter 2, I bought both from GoG to support them, and the retail Collector's Edition and haven't regretted it. The consolized menus and the free-floating feel of combat saddened me, but the game is still too good.
At this point I adore these guys and will buy anything they develop day 1.

However I liked the first Witcher more. I'm obviously in the minority here, but I prefer the emphasis on the narrative, and smallish areas to look around while being drawn in a detailed story.
If I wanted to run around aimlessly looking at textures I'd play Skyrim, and I hate Skyrim.

I'll obviously give them the benefit of the doubt since they've produced the best RPGs of the past many years, and the way they describe their new ideas they do sound interesting, but I'm afraid they'll just fall into the "let's copy the big sellers" trap, the way all MMOs try to copy WoW and fail miserably. I really, really hope it's not the case.

If the story is still strong and endless wandering around is not necessary, and if combat feels more realistic, has weight in a Severance: Blade of Darkness kind of way (or the Souls games even), and that ridiculous, damnable, laughable rolling around like a monkey in the middle of melee combat is removed, I'll be buying a geforce Titan just for this game.

PS. If they do try to copy from the 'masters' of the Elder Scrolls games (who should be learning from CDProject as far as I'm concerned), and implement level scaling in their world, they're dead to me.

Solo

Some major german gaming sites posted the screens. They look good but not that much better than TW2 imho. :eek:

CD Projekt RED has provided the screenshots you see here from its current in-game assets running on its Internal PC development hardware. However, the renderer - the part of the engine that translates the game files into what you ultimately see on screen - is still in development and will boast significant improvements by the time The Witcher 3 ships. "Right now you see the game in the old renderer, but it's going to be taken to a truly next level," says gameplay producer Marek ZSiemak. In particular, the developers tell us that skin shaders and the dynamic lighting model will be markedly more advanced in the final version.

Gbraga

Just saw the screens and I think they look great! A bit better than Witcher 2 in an open world game? Insane.

I'm not sure my PC will be able to handle it since they'll push it even further. It was so good playing through The Witcher 2 at 60fps

Pyrrhus

The only thing they could do to get me even more on board would be to recast Dandelion with someone who can actually voice act and sing.

TCRS

Banned
someone sent me a link with scans. is posting the link allowed or not? (sorry I'm usually on OT side)

Minsc

Gold Member

Even if just the shadows and draw distance are fixed, the same engine would be fine... but it sounds like it'll be a lot better from reading the quotes above so that's good.

Yeah, officially NOT digging it being open world. In 25 years of gaming I've yet to play more than like 5 open world games that didn't completely lose steam after the first 10 hours or so.

Tread lightly, CDPR :/

I think being open world will give it a lot of new opportunities. They can put a bigger focus on having multiple settlements and the monster hunting / detective aspect. I don't imagine they're trying to make a game that plays like Skyrim or Oblivion (though I'm sure they wouldn't mind that level of sales), but the same kind of RPG they've always made set in an open world.

Edit:
someone sent me a link with scans. is posting the link allowed or not? (sorry I'm usually on OT side)

Posting scans / links to scans is not allowed.

jmood88

This is the Internet, of course people are actually upset about that.

Zia

Wish they'd moved on from Geralt, who is unbearable. The feature set sounds nice, but it's really ambitious -- the multitudinous rough edges of the first two games (along with the embarrassing storyline) are what kept them from being very good at all. Still, crossing my fingers.

TCRS

Banned
No.
Think of scans as pirated material (magazines, in this case).

ahkk. I need to spend more time on gaming side, almost missed the legendary PS4 thread.

Anyway, we need Witcher 1 on consoles. I have it on pc but my laptop is crap which is why I couldn't finish it. I want to know the whole story and basically play all three.

Solo

- World 40 times larger than the last game

This shit is bananas.

B-AN-AN-AS.

Either it's typical dev exaggeration, or 90% of the world will be a barren wasteland of nothingness and boringness like Bethesda games. The Witcher 2's world isn't ungodly huge, but being 40 times bigger than it would make The Witcher 3 the largest RPG world in modern gaming history by a looooong stretch.

Top Bottom