• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone Review Thread

Skelter

Banned
Or maybe people should get out of this thread if they can't stay on topic.
It's not about handling anything. It's fucking annoying is what it is with these random jabs in unrelated threads.

Welcome to the internet. It's as annoying as people comparing every single fucking thing to Dark Souls or Last of Us. This is nothing new.

Not sure when I'll get to this, but I'm expecting some laughs and great music when I do. Good to see it's will received thus far.

I just want Shani! Really like how she's turned out in Witcher 3. Looks amazing.

You must have quite low standards for game play. Good game, but incredibly flawed.

It's not the worst gameplay there is. Look at the other major RPG's. Inquisition was a mess all around. Witcher 3 might not have excellent gameplay but it's fun at least then there is pretty much everything else that adds to the package.

Interfectum

Saying a game is good, but flawed because it has awful movement mechanics and pretty weak combat is stupid? OK.

Having opinions differing from the majority is stupid. Noted.

Someone said Witcher 3 is the best game they ever played and you came in with your smug retort that they have low standards for gameplay then. That was dumb and you deserve to be called out for it.

What you should "note" is maybe you should stop being an asshole.

Denton

Saying a game is good, but flawed because it has awful movement mechanics and pretty weak combat is stupid? OK.

Having opinions differing from the majority is stupid. Noted.

Stop playing a victim, it looks lame on you.

I'm so happy that I loved both Witcher 3 and MGSV. I guess I'm lucky. :)

I love TW and I bought MGSV on release and didn't get around to it yet...many posts here are very dissuadive, but I hope I will love it too.

I can see the GOTY awards are going to be a story/characters vs gameplay/design bloodbath. I myself am about 10 hours into witcher 3 and considering trading it in. Liked the world in the beginning but just got to Velen and open world syndrome is setting in. I'm interested in the world and story but I'm losing steam. Gameplay isn't awful but it's definitely not going to keep you interested in the game. Does the game pick up from here?

Now, that's how you do DLC!

Not a collection of skins, challenge maps and useless 30 minute "campaigns" for $40.

I haven't bought DLC since Skyrim, but this seems well worth it. (err... after I finally beat the game)

Chris1

I can see the GOTY awards are going to be a story/characters vs gameplay/design bloodbath. I myself am about 10 hours into witcher 3 and considering trading it in. Liked the world in the beginning but just got to Velen and open world syndrome is setting in. I'm interested in the world and story but I'm losing steam. Gameplay isn't awful but it's definitely not going to keep you interested in the game. Does the game pick up from here?
Keep playing. If you've only just got to Velen, you've pretty much just started the game. Everything before Velen is more or less an introduction to the world/a tutorial.

RK9039

I really can't wait for this. It's been a disappointing month or so and this seems like it can cheer me up, until Fallout maybe.

Interfectum

Turn off the points of interest in your UI ASAP.

Tookay

Keep playing. The game improves significantly past Velen.

NastyBook

Same here. I've got TW3 main story beat as of two weeks ago, and am ready to get back into it. It's finally time to buy the season pass. MGSV gameplay continues to entertain me lots. Especially now that I'm finally able to put a suppressor on a Tranq Sniper Rifle. Once I max out my bond with Quiet, I'm getting into some shenanigans with D-Walker.

I honestly can't choose between TW3, TPP, and BB for my GOTY. They're all that good.

Turn off the points of interest in your UI ASAP.

Yea I did that, I'm just in middle of bloody baron quest I'm getting annoyed with travel here and then talk and travel here and then talk. And I've heard this is one of the best quests in the game so that's making me think I can't make it till the end of the game.

Yeah, sorry about that. As Vincent Grayson was saying it was kinda tongue in cheek :)

I probably get about 6 hours of gaming a week right now and I have the Battlefront beta, Forza 6 is getting bought tomorrow and ive got Halo 5 and Tomb Raider on pre order.

I'm actually worried ill never finish the Witcher never mind these expansions :(

I just find the game so daunting everytime I play it for a few hours I accomplish nothing lol

BlackRock

Wow, great scores so far. I knew they'd nail it. Man, do these guys know how to make a captivating game, or what? Very excited to dive into this myself. I'm really looking forward to seeing Shani again, and I can't get enough of Geralt - one of my all time favorite characters.

witness

Great scores, looks like I'll pick this up again. My disc somehow got the faintest crack on the little plastic circle in the center of the disc, so the PS4 stopped reading it. Over 80 hours and almost through the main story, what a fucking bummer. I ended up getting an Xbox One shortly after so I never got back around to this.

Yeul

I was playing this last night with my second playthrough save that's super close to the end, but I decided to stop so I can play this before the ending of the game. I'm excited to have a reason to go back to it again though.

hydruxo

Preordered this last week, can't wait. I've been playing W3 super slow the last few months to savor every minute and interesting sides quests I can but I'm up to the
Ugly Baby
quest right now and I think I'm gonna try and beat the story this weekend so that I'm ready for Hearts of Stone.

RyudBoy

Nice to see some good scores but I didn't need them to confirm my purchase. Once again, I'm left with the question of whether I should tackle the inferior XB1 version first or go with PC. I think I'll go with the former since that's how I started the main game.

Will meditate until next Tuesday.

Preordered this last week, can't wait. I've been playing W3 super slow the last few months to savor every minute and interesting sides quests I can but I'm up to the
Ugly Baby
quest right now and I think I'm gonna try and beat the story this weekend so that I'm ready for Hearts of Stone.

Most people finish the game around Level 35 and HoS is intended for Level 30 so you would be better off just trying to get through Act II, then do HoS, then finish the game.

painey

so what's the deal with this expansion? is there going to be a physical release? will you need your Witcher 3 disk to play?? I want to trade in my W3 copy while the price is high, but want to play the expansion.

True Fire

Turn off the points on the map and just follow the quests. Running into POIs accidentally is so much more fun.

eksy

Banned
Once again, CDPR setting the standard.

- Raises the bar on in the genre (player's time is not wasted, but respected, i.e. no trivial quests)
- Raises the standard for free DLC (things like alternate costumes are free, not microtrasactions)
- Raises the standard for quality in Season Pass / Expansions content (no filler, priced extremely fair)
- Listens to it's fans / consumers input and feedback, continues to improve game

In CDPR We Trust

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
so what's the deal with this expansion? is there going to be a physical release? will you need your Witcher 3 disk to play?? I want to trade in my W3 copy while the price is high, but want to play the expansion.

There is a physical release, but regardless requires the base game as it extends the main map.

Keep playing. The game improves significantly past Velen.

On the contrary, I feel that best part of the game was Velen already. The magic kind of wears off past the first time you're thrust into the world and still discovering the game, and the Novigrad "arc" that follows immediately is the weakest point for me.

Majestad

Banned
On the contrary, I feel that best part of the game was Velen already. The magic kind of wears off past the first time you're thrust into the world and still discovering the game, and the Novigrad "arc" that follows immediately is the weakest point for me.

Skellige and the last hours are the peak of the game.

grimmiq

So glad I hadn't gone back and started NG+, my Geralt is sitting at 32ish on Deathmarch, will need to go back and finish off some side stuff to get used to controls again.

Hoping the quest-line in Hearts of Stone is more akin to the Baron quest line in the OG game. Felt like TW3 fizzled out story wise after that, climaxing pretty poorly with the Wild Hunt stuff.

But who am I kidding? I'm in it for Gwent.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Hoping the quest-line in Hearts of Stone is more akin to the Baron quest line in the OG game. Felt like TW3 fizzled out story wise after that, climaxing pretty poorly with the Wild Hunt stuff.

But who am I kidding? I'm in it for Gwent.
IIRC, CDPR said Hearts of Stone is in some ways inspired by the Bloody Baron questline.

Given how amazing the Bloody Baron was, I have no doubts that CDPR will deliver

Top Bottom