• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT2| Wanted to find Ciri, but everything Gwent wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the fact that every choice I've made in the game so far has turned out miserably is just preparing for a possibly miserable ending as well. Such is the world of the Witcher.

Though I don't really remember being unsatisfied with either of the endings I got in Witcher 2. It'll just hurt more knowing I'm far less likely to replay Witcher 3 all the way to the end ever again.

Älg;169775297 said:
They're not exactly good or bad acts. They're more like protective and non protective.

I'd guess that it's all about realising that Ciri isn't someone you can control, and that you must let her do what she wants to do

-Throwing snowballs with her was a great scene, but I'm not sure it was protective or not protective... lol
-The part where she is going to talk with the sorceress, the option was to stay in the room, not to speak for her (which is how the game interprets it).
-Other options have Geralt voicing a different opinion or suggestion to her, but that doesn't mean that Ciri has to obey you or agree with you always, as the game does. It's kind like the good option is being a "yes man" to her, which imo is also not positive.

Jintor

Ugh. Maybe it's a good treatise on 'situations aren't always the way you read them' but half of those felt ambiguously worded, half the time she was asking for my help
what else are you supposed to do when she tells you the sorceresses want to chat with her? She's asking for your help there.

maybe i'm a dumb baby rpg gamer who wants rainbow coloured throughlines so I know what affected what. I don't know. I don't feel satisfied though, I know that much, and I don't think I enjoyed actually playing Witcher 3 enough to go through those last bits again.

though I could probably power my way through kaer morden onwards now that I know what to do. Maybe in a few months.

Flipyap

Älg;169775297 said:
They're not exactly good or bad acts. They're more like protective and non protective.

I'd guess that it's all about realising that Ciri isn't someone you can control, and that you must let her do what she wants to do
The issue with this idea is that "what she wants to do" is to get mad at everything and wreck shit all the time and run straight into danger despite showing that she can't control her powers.
I was sure that the "positive" choices were going to bite me in the ass because they're so irresponsible, but the alternative was obviously wrong because while more reasonable, those choices were worded uncharacteristically harshly and by the end of the game it becomes clear that you have to keep spoiling her to keep her satisfied.

Coreda

I think you can play with polish VO and english subtitles, i would recommend that.

Mmm, that's how I have been. From watching the early gameplay videos I wasn't that fond of the English voices for some characters (NPCs, + some others) so I began with the Polish and thought it was very consistent.

One subtle thing I noticed as well is the lips of the characters are lip-synced to the language you've chosen. Must have mo-capped the voice actors? Great touch erhm, polish.

Jintor

The issue with this idea is that "what she wants to do" is to get mad at everything and wreck shit all the time and run straight into danger despite showing that she can't control her powers.
I was sure that the "positive" choices were going to bite me in the ass because they're so irresponsible, but the alternative was obviously wrong because while more reasonable, those choices were worded uncharacteristically harshly and by the end of the game it becomes clear that you have to keep spoiling her to keep her satisfied.

that's pretty much how I feel, yeah.

rakhir

One subtle thing I noticed as well is the lips of the characters are lip-synced to the language you've chosen. Must have mo-capped the voice actors? Great touch erhm, polish.
I think they used more programming magic and are matching lips with the sounds themselves, not the language of the spoken words, but of course i can be wrong.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I guess this is where I feel it worked for me, because
I gave Ciri freedom where it was harmless and more like character building, challenging her to confront people who might otherwise use her and push her around, but also acting as her support when needed. When she was losing her marbles and being a bit of a brat I stepped in to inject some non-pushy rational. I didn't feel the conversational choices I made were harsh, like in the lab.

And in the end I got the Empress ending, where Ciri accepted responsibilities in an effort to do good with them, even if it's not exactly what she wants, and ends on good terms with everyone. And ultimately that seemed like a logical chain of events based on the choices I made.

Chipotle

Going to try switching to Polish voiceovers when I next play. American Geralt in amongst those English regional accents is really jarring. It took me a couple of hours playing to begin to be able to ignore it. I'd honestly buy DLC that gives him an English accent but I don't think that'll ever happen.

Coreda

I think they used more programming magic and are matching lips with the sounds themselves, not the language, but of course i can be wrong.

That was also a thought, animating it with phonetics. So much dialog in each language they needed some way of streamlining the process. Blended very well with the facial expressions, either way.

Jintor

I guess this is where I feel it worked for me, because
I gave Ciri freedom where it was harmless and more like character building, challenging her to confront people who might otherwise use her and push her around, but also acting as her support when needed. When she was losing her marbles and being a bit of a brat I stepped in to inject some non-pushy rational. I didn't feel the conversational choices I made were harsh, like in the lab.

And in the end I got the Empress ending, where Ciri accepted responsibilities in an effort to do good with them, even if it's not exactly what she wants, and ends on good terms with everyone. And ultimately that seemed like a logical chain of events based on the choices I made.

On the other side, that's why I feel it didn't work for me at all.
I basically feel like I did the exact same thing (apparently I didn't take her to see the Emperor though; thought we could go see him later) of letting her have freedom when it was safe to have freedom, and stepping in when shit gets real. I guess because I had no idea which decisions were monumental, it feels like the game just randomly selected a few moments it decided were the pivotal decision points and twisted the ending around them.

It also does a bad job of connecting the reasoning behind that with her not coming back.

The after-game sequence was pretty baller though. Definitely felt something in my chest.

Flipyap

Yeah, I'm Polish. I never play games in my language, even had to mess with dragon age to get the english version, but the Witcher games are really well made. I als think this whole world should speak Polish.
It's like playing Assassin's Creed 2 in Italian with english subtitles because you know Ezio is suppose to speak Italian.
Well, not really. If you want a truly "authentic" experience, the game would have to include an Old English language option.

Mmm, that's how I have been. From watching the early gameplay videos I wasn't that fond of the English voices for some characters (NPCs, + some others) so I began with the Polish and thought it was very consistent.

The Polish main cast is generally better (at least as long as they're not shouting - Geralt can't keep the low tone of his voice and Yennefer kinda forgets how to act whenever she raises her voice), but the English version has the advantage of actually featuring regional accents. Polish VO gets pretty darn awkward when you're talking to someone about their supposedly thick accent or when they explain that they're not fluent in the common language while sounding like a native Pole without a trace of a regional accent, just like everyone else.

d3vnull

It feels kinda arbitrary and unsatisfying to me.

Dunno...
In my first playthrough I gave the answers that made sense to me and apparently the only thing I got "wrong" was going with her to face the 2 sorceresses. I mean, I knew how powerful she was and that she could take care of herself. So I rather tried to support her instead of educating her.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
More or less all the English actors nail some lines and lazily deliver others. I'm pretty happy with the performances overall though. The quality is pretty consistent. Ciri is the only off one to my ears, because almost every line is delivered like I have no fucking idea what tone she is going for and like she has no presence in the conversation or world.

But I guess that's the hard thing about voice performances for animation, especially video games. A lot can rest on the voice directors and how, during recording, they convey a scene to bring out a performance.

Älg

-Throwing snowballs with her was a great scene, but I'm not sure it was protective or not protective... lol
-The part where she is going to talk with the sorceress, the option was to stay in the room, not to speak for her (which is how the game interprets it).
-Other options have Geralt voicing a different opinion or suggestion to her, but that doesn't mean that Ciri has to obey you or agree with you always, as the game does. It's kind like the good option is being a "yes man" to her, which imo is also not positive.

Hmm...You're both right I think. I guess this is one of the issues that you end up with when you want to avoid making the good/bad endning an obvious choice.

Lunar15

More or less all the English actors nail some lines and lazily deliver others. I'm pretty happy with the performances overall though. The quality is pretty consistent. Ciri is the only off one to my ears, because almost every line is delivered like I have no fucking idea what tone she is going for and like she has no presence in the conversation or world.

But I guess that's the hard thing about voice performances for animation, especially video games. A lot can rest on the voice directors and how, during recording, they convey a scene to bring out a performance.

I found the voice acting for some of the NPC's in Carnal Sins to be particularly exceptional. The two coroners gave surprisingly exceptional performances, in my opinion.

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt |OT3| Yer mum shat ye out, now the grave'll take ye back!

Just because i heard one of the enemies say it and it just sounds hilarious

PooBone

Can anyone tell me, because I'm near the end. (
Final Preparations
is the quest I'm on) after you complete the main quest is the world still open to run around and bomb monster nests, find gear, play gwent, and do witcher contracts?

Thanks in advance!

Älg

Can anyone tell me, because I'm near the end. (
Final Preparations
is the quest I'm on) after you complete the main quest is the world still open to run around and bomb monster nests, find gear, play gwent, and do witcher contracts?

Thanks in advance!

The game puts you back in the world as it was before the "point of no return". The only difference is that the main quest isn't available.

PooBone

Älg;169778903 said:
The game puts you back in the world as it was before the "point of no return". The only difference is that the main quest isn't available.

Thanks!

Nice avatar as well.

d3vnull

Älg;169778903 said:

Plus no main characters whatsoever. They're all gone.

Lunar15

I've had so many interruptions in my life while playing this game that it's hard to remain focused. Sometimes I'm struggling to get back into it, but when I do, the quests are so good that it's hard to put down. In some ways I kind of like that because it keeps surpassing my expectations even though I'm walking away from it for a few days at a time. I'm past drinking in the initial hype; it really is a quality game through and through.

rakhir

I mean in The Witcher.
No, come on. I don't think Sapkowski ever bothered to specify what the Common language sounds like in Witcher World, but the original books were in Polish and the world reeks of Polish, or rather Slavic influences.

The names of cities, towns and villages sound Slavic, Wizima or Novigrad for example.

obin_gam

American Geralt in amongst those English regional accents is really jarring. It took me a couple of hours playing to begin to be able to ignore it.

I love his voice. Just think of him as a medieval batman. That's what I do and it makes every dialog awesome.

Kazdane

So, yesterday I finished Act II and now I'm about to do Act III (level 30 now). I'm honestly surprised with how Act II ended. It's great (Act II spoiler, so don't even think about clicking it if you haven't finished it)
and heartbreaking, I really liked Vesemir and I think CD Red did a phenomenal job with the writing

Looks like my journey with Geralt is slowly coming to its end (although I still have a few side missions to clear besides the actual main quest.

Coreda

Well, not really. If you want a truly "authentic" experience, the game would have to include an Old English language option.

Although it's a fictional universe having a Polish author, devs, and music does lend itself towards that language. I think I'm also a fan of the European sounding world; feels at times like I'm playing a mixture of a Russian film, Branagh's Henry V, and a folk fairytale.

Also, title tally update! In order of popularity:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Ploughin' her Gwently

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Time To Get Ciri-ous

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Fuck me, what a peasant

Fond of Witcherses thing one say, thing two do. Thing three do. Sometime. but it's a tad too long.

I feel like I'm the last person here to finish the game, and many will have finished twice already. Ending was bittersweet.
But I feel like the epilogue should have been a lot longer :p

Did a 100% b&bb playthrough (minus arch-griffin). Steam says 176 hours, whatever that means. Had a week without playing after launch because of a job.
For others playing I'd recommend skipping all question mark and witcher contract stuff. Not enough monster variation and the rewards are worthless.

Jintor

Well that was stupid. Did a quick check [ending]
and the only thing separating my story's ending from "Ciri dies and Geralt gets super depressed" and "Ciri lives and happy fun times forever" was literally whether or not I let her throw a bloody temper tantrum in the lab.

Never look under the hood, it just ruins things.

Owzers

Well, I finished the game last night and i came away disappointed in the story. I wonder if the game would have been better if you played as Ciri for the first act instead of the Witcher wandering around doing favors for info and playing story catch-up for so long. I was much more interested in the Nilfgardian war than the Wild Hunt, and the game basically ignores the entire war until the ending narration apart from a handful of side-quests. I didn't feel like i was making any choices of importance and instead was a just a follower in this game.

Some spoiler territory:

And regarding things with the Baron quest, after all that you never see him again even though you helped him. Nothing happens with Crow's Perch basically, or all of Velen, no huge fights in the middleground , no one tries to move in on Crows without the Baron there anymore. The world is almost completely static outside of searching for Ciri, as if time is frozen and all that happens is Ciri hunting. It's just pathetic, same with the sidequest to murder Radovid, accomplish it and all that happens is some narration at the ending to summarize the end result. Then you have Triss/Yennefer scenario of a big nothing, I ended up with Triss after the game ended but her character was ignored for almost the entirety after you're done with relationship sidequest, she doesn't even have a thing to say to you after that, not to mention she told you she'd be in Kaer Morhen and then she's not there and if you read the Glossary it says Yennefer invited her to Kaer and that's why she is there. Even in the context of the actual story it can't keep things straight, like it not remembering i gave Keira those journal papers and it said she had to get them from Lambert.

The game just seemed messy, CD Project nailed the world and having a lot of interesting quests, but i don't think the overall story came together at all. When it ended i felt bummed, even though i got a "good" ending which i agree with the above posters, it really felt arbitrary.

XP outside the main questline is basically useless. You just end up being over-leveled for the next few main quests, so you'll end up the same no matter what.
I ended up with 35 with my 100% playthrough, but could have reached 36/37 if I spared high-level or no-level until post-game.

Flipyap

No, come on. I don't think Sapkowski ever bothered to specify what the Common language sounds like in Witcher World, but the original books were in Polish and the world reeks of Polish, or rather Slavic influences.

The names of cities, towns and villages sound Slavic, Wizima or Novigrad for example.
He actually did, through Ciri's travels. We know that it sounds foreign to a British person from the 1900s and that she had no trouble communicating in the Arthurian era, so it's either the language they used (though I guess that would make it some Celtic language?) or something incredibly similar to it. Fun facts!

The books were certainly written in Polish, in Poland, by a Polish author, but the world was always a hodgepodge of many different cultures. For every Slavic-sounding name there are as many (or actually many more) Germanic names, elements of many foreign cultures/mythologies and some pretty darn direct equivalents of foreign places.
It's always been an eclectic mix and that's a big part of what made that world stand out and what gives it pretty much infinite potential for expansion.

Chitown B

Some spoiler territory:

I ended up with Triss after the game ended but her character was ignored for almost the entirety after you're done with relationship sidequest, she doesn't even have a thing to say to you after that, not to mention she told you she'd be in Kaer Morhen and then she's not there and if you read the Glossary it says Yennefer invited her to Kaer and that's why she is there.

WORD. This pissed me off. Couldn't even get a talk prompt late in the game - for some reason, she was the only one.

I just killed
Imlerith
and
the Crones
. Percentage wise, how close am I to "finishing" the game? Almost level 30.

I don't want it to end :(

I sadly find English!Triss' voice quite grating, but Polish!Triss could read an entire dump truck's worth of defunct phone books and I would sit and listen in awe.
Do you have any videos of this? I wanted to hear Triss and Yen in Polish after reading this comment but I couldn't find anything on YouTube!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom