• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |Reviews Thread| Pour another goblet

Is this set mostly in a new area?

Never bought hearts of stone because I was told it was mostly same landmass just new buildings and I had already done a full playthrough and gotten screenshots of all the areas in the game

Aeana

Releasing the day after Memorial Day when I'd actually have time to play it is basically criminal. I'm glad to hear it doesn't disappoint though.

dreamfall

THE BEST!

Can't wait to dive back in after 200 hours. So ready to get lost in the magical world CDPR created- one of the best ever!

Mifec

Never bought hearts of stone because I was told it was mostly same landmass just new buildings and I had already done a full playthrough and gotten screenshots of all the areas in the game

It's a new landmass the size of Skellige.

As for Hearts of Stone it added more land to Velen, it wasn't the same buildings.

Lunar15

Releasing the day after Memorial Day when I'd actually have time to play it is basically criminal.

Right? I was thinking about this all week.

That's a mistake. Hearts of Stone is a lot of brand new content, and the majority of it is even stronger than the main game.

psychotron

I heard they were able to optimize this better than the base game. Any word on if those optimizations pay off or if they'll come to the base game?

erawsd

These early reviews only make the wait more painful.

I heard they were able to optimize this better than the base game. Any word on if those optimizations pay off or if they'll come to the base game?

I recall an interview where they said the new optimizations and gfx features are limited to the new areas because theyd basically have to rebuild the old world to implement them.

Lunar15

My understanding is that the graphical changes will not be carried over to the base game. I can't find the original quote from CDRP to source, though.

Every optimization, gameplay tweaks and UI changes will be present in a patch that gets released on the very same day as the DLC gets released and will transfer towards the base game as well.

EDIT: Don't know about graphical tweaks, though.

Oh shit, reviews already? Hot damn, between midterms, this, and overwatch, I think I'm going to be losing some sleep the next couple weeks.

Mifec

Every optimization, gameplay tweaks and UI changes will be present in a patch that gets released on the very same day as the DLC gets released and will transfer towards the base game as well.

EDIT: Don't know about graphical tweaks, though.

Grass is only for the xpac sadly.

playXray

Do I need to play through HoS before I play this? Or can I skip straight from near the end of the vanilla game directly to B&W?

Wow, amazing. I haven't touched the game since I beat it the week it came out last year, and it was a great experience.

Not sure how I would find time to play this, but I'll have to try at some point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unfortunately the timing of my review key plus downloading on Australian Internet TM means my review won't hit for awhile. I'm still early days to be honest, but it's really fucking wonderful and the map is absurdly huge when you consider the price.

And I mean, it's not just "let's recycle an immense amount of assets from the base game and thus make it huge". Obviously there is a decent bit of recycling, but so much effort has been poured into the new assets and the overall composition of the landscape and focus on an original tone that it really does feel like you're visiting a totally different location compared to the Velen/Novigrad/Skellige/Skellige/Kaer Morhen combo. You're uprooted and taken to a place that aesthetically and tonally is 100% distinct from everything in the base game; the way characters talk and dress, the newly recorded NPC chatter, the shape of the landscape, the colours and tones sweeping the horizon, the clouds in the sky, the bright stars at night, and so on.

I stood in my vineyard, the sweeping, colourful Toussaint valley before me, and upon whistling for Roach I realised CDPR had put a nice little echo as the pitch bounces down the sprawling vista. That's when it hit I was somewhere totally new, and deliberately so.

Here's some cheap pics I took.

blood1nxp0a.jpg

blood2hop13.jpg

undwitcherxform.png

NotUS

Oh man, Geralt's last contract, I almost don't want to play it.

Its been an epic journey, can't see anything coming close to this experience in a long time.

Do we know what characters will be in it? Yen, Triss, or Ciri? Can't be in Toussaint without Dandelion I imagine.

Also if anyone hasn't picked up Hearts of Stone, do it. It's an amazing quest.

Lunar15

*Amazing information*

While all of this sounds amazing and right up my alley, I have to ask: Did they add more new facial models, or am I going to keep seeing that one Nilfgaardian attendant everywhere like I did in Velen? This is pretty much my one outstanding nitpick from the base game.

labx

Banned
Can CDProjekt do any wrong?

Well not wrong per se, but boy Witcher 1 and 2 have some rough edges. Still I lament for the Witcher 2, great story but that gameplay...

Regardless The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. And in purpose I didn't end all quest for the Witcher 3. So I can play then with all the DLC

RDreamer

Do I need to play through HoS before I play this? Or can I skip straight from near the end of the vanilla game directly to B&W?

My heart breaks when people ask about skipping HoS. Don't do it. You can do it (though you'll need a higher level character), but why? HoS was brilliant. Some of the best quests and storytelling in the entire game.

Hoje0308

Banned
One of my most anticipated games of the year, easily. Not happy about this being Geralt's last outing, but will have fun sending him off, no doubt.

Jeffrey

hope the 'points of interest' are worth doing. Never could bother going to 90% of the '!'s in the original game.

It's not bad, but I'd expect more critiques than one small one and another that they've already contrasted in the "good" list.

My post was less about the score and more about the fact that the good is that this is an expansion with content of a main game and a bad is that they want more. That's praise. That's not a bad thing...
Read the whole review?

Chris1

Give it to me.

Barring a huge surprise, I'm confident this is going to be my GOTY. More hyped over a DLC pack than I am for any game coming out this year lol.

Horns

I finished HoS last night in anticipation of this. Can't wait. These guys know how to make a great game and fantastic DLC.

Unfortunately the timing of my review key plus downloading on Australian Internet TM means my review won't hit for awhile. I'm still early days to be honest, but it's really fucking wonderful and the map is absurdly huge when you consider the price.

And I mean, it's not just "let's recycle an immense amount of assets from the base game and thus make it huge". Obviously there is a decent bit of recycling, but so much effort has been poured into the new assets and the overall composition of the landscape and focus on an original tone that it really does feel like you're visiting a totally different location compared to the Velen/Novigrad/Skellige/Skellige/Kaer Morhen combo. You're uprooted and taken to a place that aesthetically and tonally is 100% distinct from everything in the base game; the way characters talk and dress, the newly recorded NPC chatter, the shape of the landscape, the colours and tones sweeping the horizon, the clouds in the sky, the bright stars at night, and so on.

I stood in my vineyard, the sweeping, colourful Toussaint valley before me, and upon whistling for Roach I realised CDPR had put a nice little echo as the pitch bounces down the sprawling vista. That's when it hit I was somewhere totally new, and deliberately so.

Here's some cheap pics I took.

blood1nxp0a.jpg

blood2hop13.jpg

undwitcherxform.png
The screenshots give me Assassin's Creed vibes

I've put off getting the Witcher 3 (mostly just not having the time to dedicate to it) but the fact that both expansions have gotten rave reviews make me think I should pick it up. Is it possible a version with all the DLC might be released in the future? Or should I go ahead and snag it all during the PSN sale this week?

playXray

My heart breaks when people ask about skipping HoS. Don't do it. You can do it (though you'll need a higher level character), but why? HoS was brilliant. Some of the best quests and storytelling in the entire game.

Don't worry, I will definitely play it at some stage. It's only because I have very little time for gaming at the moment - I was going to hold off on B&W for a while too but the previews just look too amazing!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm starting an online petition to get "Gamekult" off of Metacritic, who's with me?

This studio man, damn. Can't wait for Cyberpunk.

Maybe I'm not understanding the complete context of VanOrd's comments about fourth wall breaking but I thought the Witcher did take place in "our" universe in the sense that the Conjunction of Spheres likely had humans coming from our Earth. Haven't there been other modern day references in the series as well?

Venom Fox

Banned
Very good and deserved scores. Cyberpunk is going to be awesome. We are like two years out still and my hype levels are insane.

erawsd

I've put off getting the Witcher 3 (mostly just not having the time to dedicate to it) but the fact that both expansions have gotten rave reviews make me think I should pick it up. Is it possible a version with all the DLC might be released in the future? Or should I go ahead and snag it all during the PSN sale this week?

I could see something like that happening eventually. However, there is currently a huge sale on the base game for just $25 then you can get both expansion for another $25.

RDreamer

Don't worry, I will definitely play it at some stage. It's only because I have very little time for gaming at the moment - I was going to hold off on B&W for a while too but the previews just look too amazing!

I feel like with limited time playing HoS is probably the better choice. It's a shorter more compact experience. That and when you're able to invest more in B&W later you could use the same character that you leveled up during HoS. Without playing HoS you might have to start a new character with the template they give you to just play B&W, depending on how they balance things.

Rock Paper Shotgun:

Much like Mass Effect III’s wonderful Citadel expansion, this last outing is as much a victory lap, to remind us of the good times and end in the right spirit. There’s a moment in both games, where the characters seem to step out of themselves, just briefly – Shepard to look at the Normandy and state that it’s been one hell of a ride, even if chronologically she hasn’t fought the final boss yet. She’s talking to her crew, and we’re included because we’re part of it. In Blood and Wine, it’s a more understated moment. A simple glance through the screen from an old man who’s literally seen everything – a look of respect, of gratitude, of recognition. Something ends, something begins.

I like to think that it’ll be happier than most of what’s come before.

What a wonderful description that perfectly captures how Mass Effect 3 made me feel when I played Citadel. I've never felt that way about characters in a video game as I did in Citadel in ME3, and it is for that reason that, after playing ME3 with the extended ending and the DLCs, and Citadel, that it has become one of my favorite games ever.
When people talk about fanservice done right, Citadel is the clearest example I can think of.
Indeed it is something that invokes a real sense of nostalgia. No longer measured in 10-20 hours over a dozen games, but in what feels like a lifetime of memories. It's truly a bizarre spectacle.

I really, really, wish that more gaming outlets would have the balls to kill of the stupid numeral rating system and put their faith in good writing that doesn't rely on a score to be taken out of context to make viewers think of it in whatever capacity the number means to them. This right here, is a hell of an endorsement. Bravo RPS!

playXray

I feel like with limited time playing HoS is probably the better choice. It's a shorter more compact experience. That and when you're able to invest more in B&W later you could use the same character that you leveled up during HoS. Without playing HoS you might have to start a new character with the template they give you to just play B&W, depending on how they balance things.

Fair enough, I might end up doing that anyway. It's been a while since I fired up TW3, so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom