• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |Reviews Thread| Pour another goblet

erawsd

It's not a real complain i think, it's just a way to say that the game is so amazing that they wanted more of it.

Anyway 8 on GK is a very high score, they never go beyond 9.

Yeah, it looks like a site that actually uses the full 10 point scale. UC4 also got an 8 and Doom a 7.

CHC

Let me get this right. This takes place AFTER the main game and before Hearts of Stone?

No it takes place after everything. It's just it's own story. I guess it could take place before HoS if you play them in that order but it would be very unconventional. HoS doens't really change the state of the world so the timeline isn't that important, but BaW is intended to be last, chronologically.

GeeTeeCee

Hopefully I can surge through the second half of Dark Souls 3 this week (not likely) so I can focus entirely on Blood & Wine.

I also hope the Arachnomorphs haven't made their home in Toussaint. I really hate the Arachnomorphs.

RDreamer

Let me get this right. This takes place AFTER the main game and before Hearts of Stone?

As far as I understand, it takes place after HoS (though HoS doesn't really change anything so that doesn't matter), but before the very ending of the game. Both DLCs are before the main game ending.

MattyG

Banned
Fuck. I still have to finish the main game and HoS. I think I can do it by the time this releases... maybe?

Nah.

No it takes place after everything. It's just it's own story. I guess it could take place before HoS if you play them in that order but it would be very unconventional. HoS doens't really change the state of the world so the timeline isn't that important, but BaW is intended to be last, chronologically.

In thought it was in between TW3, just like HoS

As far as I understand, it takes place after HoS (though HoS doesn't really change anything so that doesn't matter), but before the very ending of the game. Both DLCs are before the main game ending.

Pretty much this.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Last two before bed because I really like the armour and character texture work in this.

w1m7s3a.png

w2yfsuf.png

How does the new UI feels?

Right? I was thinking about this all week.

That's a mistake. Hearts of Stone is a lot of brand new content, and the majority of it is even stronger than the main game.

Is the content tied to both add one clearly defined so I can be sure I'm not redoing or playing main game missions etc?

Hopefully I can surge through the second half of Dark Souls 3 this week (not likely) so I can focus entirely on Blood & Wine.

I also hope the Arachnomorphs haven't made their home in Toussaint. I really hate the Arachnomorphs.

They aren't that bad..lol. I find the wild boars even more annoying, and I believe they are in this expansion pack as well from what the trailer has shown. Anyways, use Axii to slow them down, get behind them and strike away. Igni also works pretty well. Without using signs they're a pain in the ass to keep up with.

Awesome reviews so far, though I wasn't expecting anything less from CD Projekt Red. Saddens me that this is the last we'll see from the Witcher IP for a while, but looking forward to seeing what CD has in store for Cyberpunk 2077.

GeeTeeCee

They aren't that bad..lol. I find the wild boars even more annoying, and I believe they are in this expansion pack as well from what the trailer has shown. Anyways, use Axii to slow them down, get behind them and strike away. Igni also works pretty well. Without using signs they're a pain in the ass to keep up with.

Awesome reviews so far, though I wasn't expecting anything less from CD Projekt Red. Saddens me that this is the last we'll see from the Witcher IP for a while, but looking forward to seeing what CD has in store for Cyberpunk 2077.

I saw maybe two or three boars during the entirety of Hearts of Stone. Arachnomorphs? Hundreds. And they look and move so realistically. CDPR really wants arachnophobes like me to suffer... but I forgive them.

Plum

Is the content tied to both add one clearly defined so I can be sure I'm not redoing or playing main game missions etc?

Well the HoS quests are clearly labelled as such in the menu, and since the new areas aren't in the base game you won't get any base game content in them. The DLC does have you going to base-game areas for some quests but the majority of it is brand new.

Eusis

Man, if I keep plowing through The Witcher 3 I definitely want to grab the pack sometime next month, hopefully. Kind of funny to see a review of this on Destructoid next to Far Harbor and just much more highly praised this is.

Just bought The Witcher 3 yesterday. Good to see extra content is well received and available for me if/when I get through the base game.

They are quite literally the only AAA developers I have total faith in any more.

Wholeheartedly agree. Fantastic expansion pass that has quality DLC which other publishers would have easily charged another $60 for. Free DLC in the form of cosmetic changes and additional side quests that yet again other publishers would have charged for.

The fact that decisions made by Geralt in the game were more so gray than black and white in terms of the consequences. There really wasn't any point in the game that I felt inclined to follow the path of righteousness to accomplish what I needed to. Geralt is not a hero, he's a professional who is hired to slay monsters. He really doesn't care about meddling in other people's affairs aside from his companions. It's so refreshing to have that freedom of choice in an RPG.

Case example: there's a shady character who is chained to a post by settlers near a nest of drowners. No renegade points received if you leave him to his fate. He'll make you feel like a shithead for leaving him, but interestingly enough, if you let him go, Geralt will find out that he slaughtered a small camp of settlers just for the thrill of it after being set free.

undwitcherzujni.png

undwitcher27ojv3.png

There do seem to be new faces, but a lot of the old ones too. Honestly not sure.

It's got a whimsical European vibe for usre.

If there are, I haven't found them.

Yes. But disappointingly they represent the end area of the map.

The new foliage looks so much better. I hope they integrate it into the base game like they suggested they would.

Salvadora

Can you preload DLC on PS4?

This is one of my most anticipated releases of the year and the prospect of coming home from work on the 31st and having to download 10-15GB is frustrating.

Can you preload DLC on PS4?

This is one of my most anticipated releases of the year and the prospect of coming home from work on the 31st and having to download 10-15GB is frustrating.

You could with Hearts of Stone, so I presume that you can with this one too.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I am so fucking pumped for this. 2016 game (expansion, but might as well be a full game) i´m most hyped for.

Same as me, I'm so pumped to do a full Death March NG+ with HoS and B&W.... it's going to be an epic 200 hours :D

combat is serviceable but it really is the worst part of witcher 3 for me

I guess I'm lucky in that I find it amazingly fun, having said that...I don't find it fun on low difficulties (just need to button mash), but on Broken Bones and DM it's at it's best, having to use bombs, oils, signs, dodging etc.

God damn, I'm so hyped for this!!

Wasnt sure if my new character was going to be ready in time. Forgot how quickly you level up after you find Ciri. Should be ready around the time it comes out.

Does this replace the epilogue scenes that you get at the end of the main story?

I got the good endings, except for
Geralt's, he died alone in a shitty cabin. Apparently I didn't shag Yennifer enough? Weird, given that the entire game they talked about being a couple.

Top Bottom