• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Monocle

Completely agree. I've always felt that Platinum needs a lot of work in this department. I also don't like how one can checkpoint/quit-save to title screen to get Pure Platinum/S-ranks (can be done in Bayonetta, W101, and MGR). You can even somewhat cheese your way through God Hard mode in Vanquish by abusing the checkpoint save system. Grant it, people are more than welcome to play the game faithfully as it's intended, but it's hard to ignore the bigger picture, you know what I mean? It's like the lesser discussed side of game design/programming. What would someone even call something like this? Systems programming? Or is it simply just game design?

Regardless, I still feel like DMC4 was the epitome of a good ranking system. Being ex-Capcom dudes, you'd think Plat would have this shit down, but for me, it's like one of their only minor downfalls as a developer. Even then, I don't really hold it against their games, it's a super critical observation on how their titles are programmed/structured. They're the only remaining studio to produce proper character based/DMC-era style action games, so it is what it is.
The frustrating thing is, it would be so easy for Platinum to fix the ranking systems in TW101 and Bayonetta. There's no obvious benefit to making players repeat bonus challenges over and over again. Platinum must have some reason for including the challenges in the main level rankings, and it's hard to imagine they're unaware of the checkpoint exploit too.

The thing that gets me is the inconsistency of it all. If they wanted to make Platinum rankings such a mighty test of skill and patience, why let players use checkpoints as an impractical but effective way to game the system? Why make KR deaths count against your ranking if you continue, but not count if you choose to sit through a long loading screen to reenter the challenge room? And if they wanted to make Platinums and Pure Platinums achievable for average players, why rank challenges and shmup areas and other genre-shifting segments?

It's as though Platinum's high standards stop just short of the aspects that affect repeat playthroughs the most. Very strange considering how hard they push replayability in all of their titles.

The frustrating thing is, it would be so easy for Platinum to fix the ranking systems in TW101 and Bayonetta. There's no obvious benefit to making players repeat bonus challenges over and over again. Platinum must have some reason for including the challenges in the main level rankings, and it's hard to imagine they're unaware of the checkpoint exploit too.

The thing that gets me is the inconsistency of it all. If they wanted to make Platinum rankings such a mighty test of skill and patience, why let players use checkpoints as an impractical but effective way to game the system? Why make KR deaths count against your ranking if you continue, but not count if you choose to sit through a long loading screen to reenter the challenge room? And if they wanted to make Platinums and Pure Platinums achievable for average players, why rank challenges and shmup areas and other genre-shifting segments?

It's as though Platinum's high standards stop just short of the aspects that affect repeat playthroughs the most. Very strange considering how hard they push replayability in all of their titles.

To me, these inconveniences seem like a byproduct of their specific design philosophy. "Learn these new mechanics, get good at them, game the system if you have to" is the vibe I always get when playing a Platinum game.

I mean, last I checked, the only way to S Rank this mission in Revengeance is to lame it out real hard with the rocket launcher.

But at least Revengeance lets you instantly restart the mission with little to no loading time. Though maybe the PC version is the only one with short loading times?

So far, the hardest segment I've come across while working on pure platinums are the three back-to-back missions in mission 003-A. You have less than a minute to score about 6000 points on the scorpion. There's no saves in between these last three missions. Brutal.

Speaking of gaming the system by restarting, it's impossible to tell whether the game will save after each mission. If you took too long or didn't score enough points, you have to spend about 3 minutes exiting to the system menu and reloading the save. :/

Siaynoqq

That last operation... Holy shit. One of the most epic things I've ever experienced in a game. Playing it on blast with headphones on just made it that much more amazing.

I wonder how many reviewers actually played this game through to the end.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm on mission 7, on easy because I suck. This game is just ridiculous. A bit unpolished in parts, but man the ambition more than makes up for everything.

I wonder how many reviewers actually played this game through to the end.

Just glancing at metacritic, I think it's rather telling why the aggregate score is so low.

example:

Polygon: How do you not love a game that wants so desperately to delight? Well, you fight the camera through the whole scene. You summon the wrong weapon at a climactic moment. You hear the umpteenth joke fall flat. And so on
Am I correct in assuming that it's a learn to play issue?

GamesRadar: With Nintendo's Pikmin 3 having just demonstrated such mastery of both game design and the Wii U hardware, it’s disappointing to see such a superficially similar yet confused and messy game following it mere weeks later
Comparing it to Pikmin? Someone barely even touched this game.

Just glancing at metacritic, I think it's rather telling why the aggregate score is so low.

example:

Polygon: How do you not love a game that wants so desperately to delight? Well, you fight the camera through the whole scene. You summon the wrong weapon at a climactic moment. You hear the umpteenth joke fall flat. And so on
Am I correct in assuming that it's a learn to play issue?

GamesRadar: With Nintendo's Pikmin 3 having just demonstrated such mastery of both game design and the Wii U hardware, it’s disappointing to see such a superficially similar yet confused and messy game following it mere weeks later
Comparing it to Pikmin? Someone barely even touched this game.

Geez. The reasons for disliking Polygon just keep piling. GamesRadar has been the lowest of the low regarding gaming coverage for over a decade, so that's par for the course for them.

Just gonna cross post from PlatinumGames Community thread:
Happy Anniversary! To The Wonderful 101
Hi everyone, The Wonderful 101 director Kamiya here. A full year has passed since the game was released, but I imagine many of you in Europe and Japan were able to give it a try thanks to the recent Mario Kart 8 promotion.

August 24th was the 1-year anniversary of the release of The Wonderful 101 in Japan but, to be honest, since I still receive messages of encouragement from fans around the world on a daily basis, it really doesn’t feel like that much time has passed. I am truly thankful that so many of you hold the game so dearly.

Now that we have the corny introduction out of the way, let’s get down to business. I have some exciting news to bring you today. We’ve been working behind the scenes, trying to find a way to release something many fans have been asking for, and today I can finally announce it: The Wonderful 101 Official Soundtrack is going to get a digital release! It clocks in at a whopping 127 tracks! This would fill 5 CDs, but we are splitting it up into two tidy volumes, each of which you can download for just $10 a piece. With this you can enjoy every track from the game wherever you are.

The sound quality is a step up from the music in the game itself, so even those of you who spent hours in the Sound Test are in for a treat. The theme song for the game, “The Won-Stoppable Wonderful 100”, has also been remastered. The game version of the track was edited to loop endlessly, so we got Hiroshi (lead BGM composer) to go back and give the song a fitting conclusion. The soundtrack is the only place you’ll find this version.
soundtrackjacket2.jpeg
soundtrackjacket1.jpeg
The soundtrack will be available for download starting September 15th. If you have any messages, please send them to my twitter:

@PG_Kamiya

Until next time!

Download on iTunes / Sumting.com. The price per volume is $9.99, with individual tracks available for $0.99.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know it's been a while since the game was released but I want to share one of my biggest gaming achievements with you. A few days ago I managed to get a pure platinum medal on every level in the game on normal, hard and 101% hard.

Evidence:

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/510006632562950144

And yes. It was intense. Now I'm looking forward to the release of the official soundtrack.

You the man
And even getting approval from Kamiya
Hope your hands are okay

RiggyRob

I know it's been a while since the game was released but I want to share one of my biggest gaming achievements with you. A few days ago I managed to get a pure platinum medal on every level in the game on normal, hard and 101% hard.

Evidence:

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/510006632562950144

And yes. It was intense. Now I'm looking forward to the release of the official soundtrack.

Congratulations! You've also answered a question I was thinking of a few days ago, namely whether you get Pure Platinum awards on the lower difficulties if you get a Pure Platinum on the difficulty above it. Unfortunately, it seems not.

Dazzyman

I've finally given this some love in last couple of days while waiting on Mordor. Had it since release but it's been on the pile to save for special times. Just done three levels/missions and feel why have I waited so long? Can see Bayonetta team in this and I adore that game (woot next month!). I've so far grinned every minute and loving it.

Everyone needs this game!

Banned
Replaying my whole Wii U library right now. I'm playing this game for the first time since beating it a year ago. So good.

Monocle

The Wonderful 101's ending makes me so happy when I'm not struggling to survive. Definitely one of gaming's all time greatest endings.

Just finished a Pure Platinum score run on 101% Hard. Figured I'd post my final thoughts on the game:

+ Very unique gameplay. It feels a bit like Pikmin + DMC + a fighting game. The Pikmin and DMC influence should be obvious, but the fighting game part comes into play when you go to switch forms. In order to use Wonder Red, you have to draw a circle with the right analog stick, in order to use Wonder Blue you have to draw a line, Wonder White requires a shoryuken motion, etc. It's unusual for an action game but it works pretty well, for the most part.
+ Lots of enemy variety with well designed move sets.
+ Very good level design and pacing. There are a couple of awkward segments that I don't care for, but the game never starts to feel too repetitive.
+ The difficulty settings are the usual action game fare. On Hard, every battle is remixed to include more dangerous enemies and/or more difficult enemy combinations. Most of the battles in 101% Hard are the same as Hard, but you no longer have 'bullet time' while drawing shapes. I also think your attacks use more energy on the higher difficulties, because you can run out pretty quickly if you keep using strong attacks and cancels.
+ Very good scoring system - much better than Bayonetta's. Bayonetta's would have been great if it weren't for the fact that enemy weapons gave you retarded amounts of points and multiplier. You'd always want to pick out the enemy that has the best weapon (usually the staff or bow), torture attack him for the guaranteed drop, then use it to kill the rest of the enemies in the verse. Rinse and repeat forever. Thankfully they fixed that issue in TW101. Some items are still very good, but for the most part you just rely on your character's moveset to rack up huge scores. The only downside is that it's fairly simple to optimize your score, but at least it's always fun. Especially when something like this happens.
+ There are a couple of Punch-Out segments that I really enjoyed.
+ Good art and graphics.

= The story. It's not bad (nor is it good), but there's WAY too much of it. Cutscenes are frequent and they're almost never short. At least most of the cutscenes are skippable. I'm actually tempted to list this as a negative, since there are a few segments where enormous character portraits and text boxes obscure the action on screen, making it really hard to see what the hell is happening (009-C being the prime example).
= QTEs. There's a ton of them, but it's practically impossible to fail any of them since they give you a ton of time to complete the motions. It's probably the best implementation of QTEs to date, honestly.
= I don't care for most of the boss fights. They're not bad at all, but I never look forward to replaying them. The stages are far more enjoyable to me.
= Kahkoo-Regahs. These are basically the Alfheims from Bayonetta. Most of these missions give you some type of restriction to deal with (eg. you'll have a small team, which makes dodging, blocking, and attacking difficult or outright impossible; you can only use a certain number of transformations; you can only use items, etc.) I didn't like being forced to do these gimmick missions in Bayonetta every time I replayed a chapter for ranking or score, and I don't like it here. Ninja Gaiden does these 'optional' challenge portals right by placing you in an arena and sending a huge gauntlet of enemies after you. No silly restrictions or gimmicks to deal with, just a bunch of enemies to cut down.
= Unite Big + Immorta is laughably overpowered. I don't know if I'd consider it a negative, though, since it lets you breeze right through the shitty parts of the game without much trouble.

- Load times can be long and annoying, especially if you're retrying a Kahkoo-Regah. For some reason, selecting 'continue' after failing one counts as a game over, so you always have to reload the stage and re-enter the portal. This means you have to sit through 1+ minute of loading every time you want to retry the mission. I don't know why they did this since failing the Alfheims in Bayonetta never counted against you. You could restart them almost instantly.
- Awful shmup and vehicle stages. Remember the ones from Bayonetta that nobody liked? Well, they're worse and more frequent in this game.
- Waaaaaaaay too many collectibles. There are probably 300+ in total and you have to find every single one if you want to unlock the hidden characters.
- When you first begin the game, you are way too weak. There is absolutely no reason to force the player to buy basic functions like dodging and blocking from the shop, and I'd argue that the 'witch time' custom block should be a basic feature as well. This also ties into my collectibles complaint, because the more Wonderful Ones you find, the more room you have to attack, dodge, use powerful attacks, etc. And you also have to do some grinding, since each guy in your team can be leveled up four times. It's nothing but needless padding.
- Sometimes the overlapping mechanics can be frustrating to deal with. For example, in order to recruit civilians into your group, you have to draw a circle around them. If there's a battle in the middle of the city and you want to draw a huge circle for a powered-up Wonder Red, you might not be able to complete it because civilians take priority. Or when an enemy is stunned, if you try to draw a circle to switch to Wonder Red and it goes through the enemy, your minions will try to pick him up for a throw - a move that is borderline worthless. Another worthless move is the multi-rocket launcher version of Wonder Green that's drawn with a square, which isn't too far off from Wonder Red's circle. Nobody will ever want to use Green for that, so all it does is get in the way when you're trying to switch to something that's actually useful. All of that can be really annoying.

Overall, it's an excellent but heavily flawed game. I think I'd put it right at the top of the action game B-tier, just below Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden II, DMC3, God Hand, and Bayonetta, but above everything else.

Sagitario

So, you can now unlock Bayonetta with a controller command/code?

◆ "The Wonderful 101" «Hidden character purchasing» Platinum command

[Command input conditions]
· (OK even with a low difficulty!) That it is clear to the end game
· Let's enter the command hidden in certain places of each stage, you need O · parts is expensive (money) to get the character

[Hidden command: while pressing the ZR button "↑ ↓ ↑ → ← XBYA"]
(And easy to remember to think the order of the push-button and press the four-way controller, and draw a "P +"!)

■ Input • Obtaining character commands at the start of the Sentinel's set prologue: Captain Wanda, Wanda scarf, Wanda Guranpusu and Special Price: 1000000P

■ Input • Obtaining character commands begin fighting position rival set operations 009-B, and the shield generator: Prince Vu~okun, Chugi, Imota limited Price: 1000000P

■ during the battle with the Rambo of memories set operations 006-B, (ramen mark!) And enter the command at the location of the photo
• Obtaining character: Wanda Daddy, Wanda Future, Wanda Red (Sendai)
Bargain price: 1000000P

■ Input • Obtaining character commands after the vehicle was first separated by Tobiiri set Epilogue: Wanda goggles, Pozuman, Wanda Director Slave Price: 1000000P

&#9632; Get input character commands at the start of the operation Beyonettasetto <br /> 001: Bayonetta Wanda, Wanda Jeanne, Wanda Rodin Premier Price: 2000000P

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2014/10/24/81873.html

I might even replay the game now.

You have to be at the exact spot in the photo. Even dodging from holding RT can take you out of the very strict zone where it works. Hold the trigger, then position yourself.

ah thanks that was tricky

I unlocked them but trying to find them on the selection as who leads is harder all of these little dudes are so tiny not to look through a list of 101+ to select the Queen

Monocle

ah thanks that was tricky

I unlocked them but trying to find them on the selection as who leads is harder all of these little dudes are so tiny not to look through a list of 101+ to select the Queen
I think if you sort your team by weapon type on the leader select screen all the bonus characters appear at the end of the list. (Unless it's just the characters with unique unite morphs.)

Varjet

I think if you sort your team by weapon type on the leader select screen all the bonus characters appear at the end of the list. (Unless it's just the characters with unique unite morphs.)

When you make a 100-sized Unite Morph and have the corresponding secret character unlocked, the secret character will become the leader.

El Odio

Banned
So I've been replaying this game recently and discovered and interesting little secret(?)/bug. In operation 002-A during the maglev section you're able to shoot the Cough-Goo when it's outside the glass to the point that when you reach the segment where it follows directly behind you it will just go down with one hit.
Not sure if this has been found out or not but I just did it when attempting the perfect driver bottle cap and it made it so much easier.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Few days old, but Chip & Ironicus: Operation 007-A

Part 1
Part 2

Maan, I hope through DLC or Smash 5 we get a Wonderful 101 stage where Red introduces everyone a/la Vorkken and Immorta (and everyone else).

"If it isn't the protector of the Mushroom Kingdom, the master of jumping but never seems to do plumbing, Mario!"

Maan, I hope through DLC or Smash 5 we get a Wonderful 101 stage where Red introduces everyone a/la Vorkken and Immorta (and everyone else).

"If it isn't the protector of the Mushroom Kingdom, the master of jumping but never seems to do plumbing, Mario!"

Goddamnit. You just made my life incomplete because we don't have this ;_;

Top Bottom