• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

When the crab opens its claws, simply create an Unite Claw. DON'T ATTACK. Just stand there wielding the claws waiting for it to attack. You should auto-counter its attack and flip it on its back.

More generally, you can do this whenever there's a "schwing" sound and a cut-in of one of the Wondeful ones appears on one side of the screen. Just have the appropriate weapon ready for an auto-counter.
Yeah, I knew about what the game implies when those cut-ins appeared, but what threw me off about the crab is that I rarely received it in the first place. After some rematches I realized that it's very specific with the crab in particular, because you have to be facing him in a particular direction or else the auto-counter against his pincer swipe won't trigger.

Speaking of: is there a way to bait out said attack with some regularity? I know how to handle the crab for the most part, but at this point my score for time is usually fairly lackluster compared to combo and damage. If I could at least get the opportunity to auto-counter him with some consistency I could greatly improve on that, since the two times I did pull it off he extended his legs shortly thereafter which in turn lead to relatively little downtime on his vulnerability period. I'm hoping it's not completely random...

Chip and Ironicus: Operation 003-A

Part 1
Part 2

I did not know you could stun the turtles by pulling their tails with the whip, nor did I know you could throw them with the whip. Always learning something new.
I didn't even realize characters could
taunt
because of how hidden it is!

Yeah, I knew about what the game implies when those cut-ins appeared, but what threw me off about the crab is that I rarely received it in the first place. After some rematches I realized that it's very specific with the crab in particular, because you have to be facing him in a particular direction or else the auto-counter against his pincer swipe won't trigger.

Speaking of: is there a way to bait out said attack with some regularity? I know how to handle the crab for the most part, but at this point my score for time is usually fairly lackluster compared to combo and damage. If I could at least get the opportunity to auto-counter him with some consistency I could greatly improve on that, since the two times I did pull it off he extended his legs shortly thereafter which in turn lead to relatively little downtime on his vulnerability period. I'm hoping it's not completely random...

I didn't even realize characters could
taunt
because of how hidden it is!

That counter for the crab is too random for me to even bother with it. Instead I watch for when it's about to do the mouth laser (the tell is that the crab will jump before doing it) and send a Wonder Liner down its throat for massive damage and a stun. After that it's giant sword to cut legs off, claw to crack the shell, and then spamming Fist's Wonderful Cyclone with an occasional Unite Bomb to keep it in place.

I think the crab might be my favorite regular enemy to fight since it needs so many different techniques working together to kill it efficiently.

Totakeke

Finally finished the game. Great game with wonderful QTEs albet a bit uneven at times, but worth it for every second for all the wonderful moments. I was expecting the middle of the game to be even crazier after reading comments here and there but the end made up for it and more.
I was also expecting Alice to be a mole or something after the talk about having someone leak secrets but that's okay.

I have to say though, watching Saur's videos lets you know how you can really make the best use out of the gameplay mechanics, but it isn't really good for a person like me who aren't well versed with actions games and can pull off combos at will. Actually it's a bad idea to watch those videos expecting to play like him because you don't need to. Most of the time I had platinum combo scores just by doing team unite morphs so you don't really need to be that stylish. The C&I Let's Play is a far better guide for the average player because he just goes through battles calmly while doing mostly the bare minimum to kill enemies quickly. I don't even think he did any unite mixes in battles after watching half of the videos.

But yeah, the game does a piss poor job of teaching you how to play the game so Saur's videos were the best resource for a long time unfortunately.

and send a Wonder Liner down its throat for massive damage and a stun.

Goddamnit. I once sent a Wonder Liner into its mouth, and hadn't been able to replicate it since... because I thought I had done it during it's bubble attack, not the beam. Ah well, thanks a lot for the tip!

I think the crab might be my favorite regular enemy to fight since it needs so many different techniques working together to kill it efficiently.

Agreed, it's a much more strategic than most of the enemies, also because it's a much slower-paced battle.

I have to say though, watching Saur's videos lets you know how you can really make the best use out of the gameplay mechanics, but it isn't really good for a person like me who aren't well versed with actions games and can pull off combos at will. Actually it's a bad idea to watch those videos expecting to play like him because you don't need to. Most of the time I had platinum combo scores just by doing team unite morphs so you don't really need to be that stylish. The C&I Let's Play is a far better guide for the average player because he just goes through battles calmly while doing mostly the bare minimum to kill enemies quickly. I don't even think he did any unite mixes in battles after watching half of the videos.

But yeah, the game does a piss poor job of teaching you how to play the game so Saur's videos were the best resource for a long time unfortunately.

I dunno, I think Saur's videos give you every single tool at your disposal. How or whether to use each of them is up to you, but having them all laid out in front of you is nice. I mean, I didn't went straight for unite cancel crazy combos my first time through the game either.

I for one appreciated a lot having the mechanic of stunning/throwing/juggling enemies pat down before even buying the game. :)

Jintor

Does anyone know when you're falling from the tower how to avoid orohchee's lasering your platforms? Not sure if you're meant to sword it or somehow jump to the nearby falling gas tanks or something

Sword will reflect the laser like it will against the tanks. Pretty much if he starts flying directly in front of the platform staring at you, make a sword but be ready to Guts if his mouth doesn't start glowing since that means the head smash is coming.

Does anyone know when you're falling from the tower how to avoid orohchee's lasering your platforms? Not sure if you're meant to sword it or somehow jump to the nearby falling gas tanks or something

Probably reflect them, as I think you can only jump to another platform when he charges at you (it's easy to know beforehand because you will actually see the next floating platform before it appears).

The gas cans can be thrown at Orohchee (by using Hand or Gun, I believe?) and deal extra damage so they shorten the sequence.

Sagitario

Whenever I feel like doing a quick play of some missions, I remember how this game drained me completely and after finishing, I didn't play a single thing for a month. It's an odd sensation.

Monocle

Chip & Ironicus: Operation 002-C

IT'S NEVER GONNA HAPPEN! And by "it", I mean Viewtiful Joe 3.
Thanks for linking to this. I've never seen these guys' Let's Plays before. Skilled gameplay, really informative and entertaining commentary. Pretty much the best LPs I've ever seen, actually. I love how they explain all the mechanics and edit in extra clips to show features and bonus stuff they wouldn't be able to cover in an uninterrupted playthrough. So far I've watched all of their TW101 videos and started their Revengeance series. I think I've found my new favorite gaming channel.

Jubern

I got a Wii U about a month a go and used the Mario Kart 8 offer to get this for free. I had been wanting to play that game ever since I got myself playing the demo to death while freeloading at a friend's place a year ago.

Long story short: I finished the game this morning and it delivered big time. Platinum and Kamiya showing they're still on top when it comes to action games, I'm really pumped for Bayonetta 2 now (which was more of a "I'll def get it... later" before).

I just have a question about the story :
If I understand correctly, the loop of Gerthjerk attacks Earth > Get destroyed > Evil empire rises in the future > Gethjerk goes back in time keeps going on? With no resolution?

K-A-Deman

I got a Wii U about a month a go and used the Mario Kart 8 offer to get this for free. I had been wanting to play that game ever since I got myself playing the demo to death while freeloading at a friend's place a year ago.

Long story short: I finished the game this morning and it delivered big time. Platinum and Kamiya showing they're still on top when it comes to action games, I'm really pumped for Bayonetta 2 now (which was more of a "I'll def get it... later" before).

If I understand correctly, the loop of Gerthjerk attacks Earth > Get destroyed > Evil empire rises in the future > Gethjerk goes back in time keeps going on? With no resolution?

Not sure if that's how most see it. Personally I thought
the GGC was going to form after so-many invasions and go destroy the GEATHJERK Cluster, thus perpetuating the cycle. Luka changed that by giving GEATHJERK a clearer shot and the incentive to go all-in. Also, Red's statement at the end made it seem that they will be wary of their future and work to keep the Wonderful 101 as a force for good and not the strong arm of a tyrannical empire.

Basically: Luka broke the cycle by luring out Jerghinga and by having their dark future exposed, the Wonderful 101 will work even harder to keep that future from never coming to pass.

I think it's awesome irony really.

Geathjerk went back in time to destroy all the civilizations that would become the Greater Galactic Coalition. However the Geathjerk's very threat is what caused Earth to strengthen their military and it allowed them to meet Vorkken's race as well as the potentially 99 other races that were forcefully enlisted by Vorkken and begin friendly relations. Not only that, but Geathjerk forces existing throughout space is prompting Earth's forces to expand their efforts across space as well.

Geathjerk efforts to eliminate the GGC became the very cause of the GGC's creation. It's really nice, creative irony that gives the story a special balance of wobbling between subtle darkness and hopeful optimism that things may turn out differently now. It also leaves a great opportunity for a sequel to feature the Wonderful 101 going to the future to fight the 101 Demons.

Not sure if that's how most see it. Personally I thought
the GGC was going to form after so-many invasions and go destroy the GEATHJERK Cluster, thus perpetuating the cycle. Luka changed that by giving GEATHJERK a clearer shot and the incentive to go all-in. Also, Red's statement at the end made it seem that they will be wary of their future and work to keep the Wonderful 101 as a force for good and not the strong arm of a tyrannical empire.

The problem with this theory is that
there are still Geathjerk Forces attacking Earth after Jergingha's defeat. His forces self-destructed after he was destroyed, so this suggests that there is another commander unit handling these new forces attacking Earth.

there are still Geathjerk Forces attacking Earth after Jergingha's defeat. His forces self-destructed after he was destroyed, so this suggests that there is another commander unit handling these new forces attacking Earth.

I wouldn't take the epilogue too seriously, frankly. It's after all a shot-by-shot recreation of the opening, which is statistically unlikely. Unless there were further attacks aside from the epilogue that I'm forgetting?

Proven

The Kahkoo-Regahs and other forces are just remnants that are going under the "Never give up, never surrender." The Kahkoo-Regahs especially are hidden bases that supplied Geathjerk forces in between the second and third war. And Jergingha can't be the only one left with any clout.

Regiruler

I wouldn't take the epilogue too seriously, frankly. It's after all a shot-by-shot recreation of the opening, which is statistically unlikely. Unless there were further attacks aside from the epilogue that I'm forgetting?

I want to say
Operation 101
but I don't know myself and think anyone who answers that will spoil it.

RiggyRob

Finally going to start this tonight, any tutorial vids or anything I should watch?

Saur's tutorial videos are pretty much the best IMO, you can search for them on YouTube.

Finally finished this yesterday, and after being pissed at the game for the majority of the time I was playing, I can say it did improve as the ending came closer. So much so that I couldn't wait to start playing it again, this time following the Prima guide I bought so I can find all of the Wonderful Figurines/Geathjerk files.

Still too many fucking shoot-em-up sections though. Not once did I think 'Oh cool, another shmup part!'. More like 'Oh for fuck's sake, again?'

Monocle

That's platinum's major flaw. They just can't stop putting fairly crappy shmups in their games.
That's Kamiya's fault. He's always indulged his love of retro gaming by adding jarring sequences with bad controls to his titles. In TW101 he apparently abandoned all restraint. I wouldn't mind the genre switches so much if they controlled better and didn't tank my ranking when I take damage or eat an instant death (or five).

NEO0MJ

That's platinum's major flaw. They just can't stop putting fairly crappy shmups in their games.

The only good thing that came from Metal Gear Rising's tight schedule was that it didn't allow them to add any side-games. Kinda like how in Donkey Kong Country Returns they didn't have enough time to add water levels, which was a good thing IMO.

Golnei

The only good thing that came from Metal Gear Rising's tight schedule was that it didn't allow them to add any side-games. Kinda like how in Donkey Kong Country Returns they didn't have enough time to add water levels, which was a good thing IMO.

I'm not sure about that - the minigames were there, just not in the main story. Things like the maze, Gekko Frogger, the Castlevania homage and the 2D beat-em-up were plentiful in the VR missions.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On a related note, I actually just learned that you could shoot projectiles in that underwater shooting level.

Would've saved me some deaths and griefs.

Regiruler

That's Kamiya's fault. He's always indulged his love of retro gaming by adding jarring sequences with bad controls to his titles. In TW101 he apparently abandoned all restraint. I wouldn't mind the genre switches so much if they controlled better and didn't tank my ranking when I take damage or eat an instant death (or five).

I'm more pissed with the deaths in the brutal Kahkoo-Regah counting than I am about the shmups.

Hell, the space harrier-lite ones are actually kinda fun. The iso ones suck ass because iso is probably the worst possible viewpoint for a shmup.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
HAHAHAHA I FINALLY HAVE ALL THE WONDERFUL ONES.

I also have almost all the heart pieces, I wish the requirements for unlocking characters wasn't so overlapping. It feels like once I unlock 1 I'll be 80% of the way there for everyone else.

Regiruler

HAHAHAHA I FINALLY HAVE ALL THE WONDERFUL ONES.

I also have almost all the heart pieces, I wish the requirements for unlocking characters wasn't so overlapping. It feels like once I unlock 1 I'll be 80% of the way there for everyone else.

A lot of the unlockables have a bunch of fluff bottle caps and 1-2 real ones, so you're really only halfway there.

Monocle

I'm more pissed with the deaths in the brutal Kahkoo-Regah counting than I am about the shmups.

Hell, the space harrier-lite ones are actually kinda fun. The iso ones suck ass because iso is probably the worst possible viewpoint for a shmup.
Bayonetta has the same problem with Alfheim Portals. If Platinum are going to include hidden bonus challenges, they shouldn't tie them to mission rankings! I don't understand that design choice, and I was disappointed to see it carried over in TW101. I can see why Platinum would count secret missions in the rankings, but not the challenges. They should be their own thing, ranked separately or not at all.

Jintor

agreed 100%

Regiruler

They don't even display your death count when you die in the KR yet they still count. It's like halfway to them not counting but made it 5% worse just because fuck you.

Azzurri

Just beat the game, and really liked it. Save says around 17hrs, but I'm sure it was longer than that.

I loved the characters personalities, the story. The game really kicks your ass and forces you to play smart, and use combos for the best results.

It did kind of drag on a bit, every time I thought I was done I had a couple more boss battles or stages left. Especially the last 2hrs or so, lol.

All in all, every Wii U owner should have this game, one of the better games I've played in a long time.

Siaynoqq

Would like to echo the general sentiment in this thread - this game is amazing and incredibly under appreciated.

One question: Is there any point to leveling up the non-color characters?

Azzurri

In the video how does he get a bigger sword so fast, it doesn't even looks like he's morphing it, just adding more and more.

Yuterald

Bayonetta has the same problem with Alfheim Portals. If Platinum are going to include hidden bonus challenges, they shouldn't tie them to mission rankings! I don't understand that design choice, and I was disappointed to see it carried over in TW101. I can see why Platinum would count secret missions in the rankings, but not the challenges. They should be their own thing, ranked separately or not at all.

Completely agree. I've always felt that Platinum needs a lot of work in this department. I also don't like how one can checkpoint/quit-save to title screen to get Pure Platinum/S-ranks (can be done in Bayonetta, W101, and MGR). You can even somewhat cheese your way through God Hard mode in Vanquish by abusing the checkpoint save system. Grant it, people are more than welcome to play the game faithfully as it's intended, but it's hard to ignore the bigger picture, you know what I mean? It's like the lesser discussed side of game design/programming. What would someone even call something like this? Systems programming? Or is it simply just game design?

Regardless, I still feel like DMC4 was the epitome of a good ranking system. Being ex-Capcom dudes, you'd think Plat would have this shit down, but for me, it's like one of their only minor downfalls as a developer. Even then, I don't really hold it against their games, it's a super critical observation on how their titles are programmed/structured. They're the only remaining studio to produce proper character based/DMC-era style action games, so it is what it is.

Top Bottom