• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful World of Switch Joy Con Mods

Kinokou

I've been looking into this a bit, found out that I would love some N64 yellow or nice mid green.

I'm almost hoping Nintendo get some collaborations going with Pantone since they do the color of the year thing (it's the green one this year).

These would be nice no?

Pantone-Color-of-the-Year-2017-Color-Palette-5.jpg

Or with some racing car company to give us some snassy glossy ones.

MercuryLS3

I'm honestly surprised someone hasn't made a clip-on d-pad to that over the directional buttons. Sure it won't be good for things like fighting games, but for basic platformers i'm sure it'd be fine.

jett

D-Member
The Gamecube is pretty nice. The Super Nintendo one, not so much. Those big-ass circles just don't work.

Lynd7

Can you just buy the coloured buttons online somewhere? I'd consider doing that, but ain't buying another 3DS just to swap buttons.

Bert

How easy is it to replace the casing? Is it something you could 3D print and change with a screwdriver?

TeegsD

Man, I didn't need that Colorware link in my life. I am already hesitant on spending $80, its tough to convince myself to drop $150 on just JoyCons

Inotti

I'm good with my hands but yes, absolutely. The thing would most certainly never feel the same.

I did this as you can see couple posts above and it feels 100% same as original (as long as you do it properly). There is a youtube tutorial to do this. And you can buy colored new 3ds buttons quite cheaply from aliexpress.

How is nintendo not selling this from day fucking one.

Can you even imagine what a clusterfuck it will be with all the colors they'll have released by the time they finally get around to it? I mean, they have the patent, I feel like we all know it's coming. But what colors are they gonna release it in??

Meohsix

Not much of a "mod" but I ordered blue joycon replacement shells and a blue grip off of AliExpress

Definitely not as easy as I thought it would be to swap them around. Nintendo really packed a lot of stuff into these!

Hesh

Neat, but this sort of extravagance reminds me of those $500+ NES retro consoles that are lovely to look at but something I'll never own short of me winning a lottery.

Caelus

How is nintendo not selling this from day fucking one.

To drive home the local-multiplayer stuff and not confuse consumers with extra joy-con so early on.

I'll be honest, as much as I know how much better a real Nintendo d-pad feel, the separated d-pad on the joy-con has been perfectly serviceable for games like Mighty Gunvolt Burst and Kamiko.

The patents do show that they've taken this into consideration though - maybe next year.

EricB

I did this as you can see couple posts above and it feels 100% same as original (as long as you do it properly). There is a youtube tutorial to do this. And you can buy colored new 3ds buttons quite cheaply from aliexpress.

Yes, it feels indistinguishable from the original, and New 3DS replacement buttons are all over ebay for really cheap too.

I had neither the time nor inclination (at least at the moment) to do it myself, so I just bought a right joy con with the buttons already installed off of ebay.

The colored buttons look great in the blue shell, by the way.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
People overblow the separate dpad thing so much.

"ARGH I LITERALLY CANNOT PLAY ANY GAMES WITH IT"

Sure you can't.

ViolentP

I actually have a spare left joy-con. I might try this.

Top Bottom