• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful World of Switch Joy Con Mods

Totofogo

Neo Member
Well, I had success swapping my shells for transparent ones! Too more time than I had imagined.

Unfortunately, I dropped one of the external screws (the last one too!) and cannot find it. Anyone know of anywhere to buy replacements?

Drain You

I don't really follow aftermarket shells, but I feel like these came out pretty fast no?

I can see myself buying a aftermarket shell before I have a Switch just because of the difficulty I've had looking for certain Gamecube shells over the years. It's got to be easier nowadays to produce these things though right?

STOP EVERYTHING

22050968_10155704808562346_3422480917547111524_o.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rep...826689501.html?spm=2114.search0104.0.0.dvYOdX

AColdDay

I broke the smaller trigger (the L button, not ZL) on my left joy con. It is kind of split, so if I hit it on the left side of the split it registers but not if I hit it on the right.

How hard would it be to replace that, without doing a whole shell replacement?

I broke the smaller trigger (the L button, not ZL) on my left joy con. It is kind of split, so if I hit it on the left side of the split it registers but not if I hit it on the right.

How hard would it be to replace that, without doing a whole shell replacement?

I think you need to 3D print it or look for parts on ebay and Aliexpress

Weird that there are replacement shells but none with a d-pad cutout... Come on, AliExpress sellers!

Give'em time, China is going fast and furious.

Fliesen

yeah, going for a white switch is a super attractive route - i don't really share the nostalgia for atomic purple. i always found the transparent shells rather dumb :/

how's the button feel on those?

also, what's with the button colors on many of those promo shots?
61riYYw0xxL._SX522_.jpg

why don't they:

* make them the same on both sides
or - even better -
* make them the same when the joycons are held horizontally. ("pick up the pan with yellow! start chopping with blue!")

EricB

One more set to add to the collection.
These were actually the very first joy cons I had ordered when I started the thread. The order actually started as a SNES themed set, but it took so long that as I waited, I ordered and received a different non-glossy set of SNES joy cons, so I changed this order to Gamecube themed. I just got these in the mail today. Kind of a ridiculously long turnaround, but they are here and they are cool.

Gamecube theme:
Y0Aaolol.jpg

They're a little bit glossy, and though I requested no letters on the buttons, they forgot and put them anyway.
E3yb0Aul.jpg

Still, they look great attached to the Switch unit.
c578zdzl.jpg

DarkWish

Got these Zelda Joy-Cons from Controller Chaos and I love them! One downside is they used Neon Joy-Cons so the SL and SR buttons look odd but when they’re on the Switch you can’t tell so not a big deal.

K5Mk4kH_d.jpg

05JxTbt_d.jpg

kStn5Ej_d.jpg

Really tempted to get some clear Joy-Cons too. Maybe the Atomic Purple.

Doesn't this usually void the warranty? Also, I've heard any modification to the joy cons that came with your Switch will not only void the warranty for the the joy cons but for the Switch unit itself. Hope I'm wrong, can anyone confirm? I'd like another set but don't want the red, blue or yellow.

DarkWish

Doesn't this usually void the warranty? Also, I've heard any modification to the joy cons that came with your Switch will not only void the warranty for the the joy cons but for the Switch unit itself. Hope I'm wrong, can anyone confirm? I'd like another set but don't want the red, blue or yellow.
Not sure why it would void the warranty of the Switch itself if the Switch isn’t being modified at all. If I ever have a problem with my Switch and need to send it to Nintendo for some reason with Joy-Cons, I can just send my Gray Joy-Cons and they’d never know I used anything else.

Fliesen

That's what I want.

SNES colors.

i get that, but why are they not either:
* the same on both joycons when using both joycons as a single player (A)
* the same on both joycons when using both joyons as controllers for individual players (B)

as pictured, the buttons aren't the same color arrangement as the SNES controller in any orientation - neither horizontal nor vertical
edit: correction - the right joycon when held with ZR and ZL on the bottom (i.e. the WRONG way) would have the same colors as the SNES controller :p

edit 2:
that's what i mean - (A) on the left (B) on the right
LPXTSdm.png

DarkWish

Bought an Atomic Purple Joy-Con shell from Amazon and a pair of Gray Joy-Cons so I could swap it out. Took me a while since I’ve never done anything like this before. But I love how it turned out! I did get the colored buttons but I didn’t think they’d fit so I kept the normal buttons.

EpswN1L_d.jpg

pSsVAuA_d.jpg

owiK9GQ_d.jpg

Heng

How long did it take to do the deed? On the fence for Atomic purple or smoke gray. Have nostalgia for both.
Depends on how good you are at taking out screws and ribbon cables. I started off with the right joy con and did it without removing the ribbons, took me ~3 hours due to the +, B, A, and Y buttons getting stuck. Most of my time was spent one widening the holes.

The left one took me >30 mins without removing the cables and didn't require me to trim any of the button holes. I ordered it from AliExpress and it took and they took 2-3 weeks to come in.

https://youtu.be/L3TeP1G5lO0

me0wish

Bought an Atomic Purple Joy-Con shell from Amazon and a pair of Gray Joy-Cons so I could swap it out. Took me a while since I’ve never done anything like this before. But I love how it turned out! I did get the colored buttons but I didn’t think they’d fit so I kept the normal buttons.

EpswN1L_d.jpg

pSsVAuA_d.jpg

owiK9GQ_d.jpg

How's the quality compared to the original shell?

hotcyder

How good to see this thread again!

This was after a disasterous first attempt when I tried to dye the clear joycons with regular fabric dye - turns out polyester dye is the way to go. Sat it in a bath of boiling hot water for a few minutes and they looked like this

Taking the Joy-Cons apart wasn't as tricky as I had worried either - didn't even need to disconnect anything. Only suggest i'd make to anyone who might do the same is to make the screw holes of the dyes joycons a little bigger only as the heat melts them a little - and the screws they use in the joycon are a bit soft.

Madao

i got on this train this week

i did it mainly because my friend really wanted a green joycon and i wasn't gonna be paying the mad prices they go for atm so i went for the cheap route (plus, the gray joycons were boring)

Drain You

No shells to add a regular d-pad? :( I still may buy that Atomic Purple one though.

If you got a shell with a regular d-pad would it still work the same as the separated buttons or would it work like an actual d-pad? Would you need to mess with the internals in order to get it to function like what we are used to? Honest question, I've got no clue.

Anybody know a good place to get some conductive foam to fix the bluetooth issue that Nintendo uses for cheap? I got a pair of joy-cons that I plan to either swap out the shells, or do a paint job for, but that particular pair is having pretty bad lag in docked mode, so it's been attached to my Switch basically forever. Looking to fix the issue AND mod it in one go without sending it to Nintendo first.

catabarez

If you got a shell with a regular d-pad would it still work the same as the separated buttons or would it work like an actual d-pad? Would you need to mess with the internals in order to get it to function like what we are used to? Honest question, I've got no clue.

Only the membrane and the shell need to be modified. If you look at any pcb with a d-pad on it, it will only have 4 points of contact like the joy con.

Drain You

Only the membrane and the shell need to be modified. If you look at any pcb with a d-pad on it, it will only have 4 points of contact like the joy con.

Thanks for that info, like I said I didn't really know how it worked so I was curious. After hearing that I'm really surprised we haven't seen a joy con shell with d-pad. I'm sure it would sell well enough.

catabarez

Thanks for that info, like I said I didn't really know how it worked so I was curious. After hearing that I'm really surprised we haven't seen a joy con shell with d-pad. I'm sure it would sell well enough.

Yeah I'm sure it can't be that difficult.

Is anyone willing to sell an unused gray left joy con shell so I can attempt the mod myself?

Luigi87

Was back and forth on the clear or atomic purple replacement shells... Went and ordered the atomic purple, as that's my childhood right there.

Top Bottom