• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You sequel teased in iOS game

Famassu

Then we have the postmortem I posted above where they think it's one of the things that didn't really work, and a single screen iOS release, so there is no way to know how they currently feel about it or what they're planning for a sequel.
Umm... did you even read the whole quote? They say they had trouble with getting it to work during development with different kinds of versions of the system, but after some trial and error they found a solution that worked. Nowhere do they say that "it didn't really work."

Mista Koo

Didn't even think twice about it,
she's clearly Shiki. I'm %100 %90 positive.
The headphones might indicate that Neku won't be coming back or implied to be a goodbye gift when they separated.

She reminds me of a Persona 4 character (might be a spoiler, never played it)
Naoto's redesign. I think it also was for character development or something?

About the dual screens combat, while it was the most unique feature of the game mechanics-wise it sure was not perfect. Unless the game is meant to be played by two people, because I think it would've been perfect for that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Umm... did you even read the whole quote? They say they had trouble with getting it to work during development with different kinds of versions of the system, but after some trial and error they found a solution that worked. Nowhere do they say that "it didn't really work."
A big part of the solution they mention was the option of leaving it on automatic so players could ignore it, this is not exactly how you trust a feature. They also don't sound like they enjoyed having to leave control of the upper screen exclusive to the d-pad either. But I agree, "didn't really work" was not the best way for me to put it. Regardless, the existence of a single screen port with a substitute system is much more telling.

And there are other points. In the roundtable from the game's release they talk about the dual screen combat being something Nomura insisted on putting in the game while the main focus and ideas of the team were related to the touch screen combat. “No, we could do this on the PSP”. In the end it was interesting because the team was forced to implement something that worked, sort of like a Miyamoto "upending the tea table" thing.

I'm not even trying to make a case against dual screen combat, I like it and I truly appreciate what they came up with. It's just that too many people keep harping that it's something that completely defines the game and after it's removed the game isn't worth playing. That's far from the truth. What I'm trying to say is that there's a chance the developers themselves may feel it's a feature that can go. We'll only know in the future.

You're just worried that the girl you fell head over heels for is cutting her hair dramatically short and dyeing it a color you don't particularly care for.

If she does go through with it you might start having second thoughts, but in the end she'll still be the same charming girl. So you might as well give it another go and see if it really was such a big deal anyways.

Business as usual if she decides to keep her long intricate braids.

...I don't think your metaphor works all that well. :p I'm not worried about the cosmetics here, but the depth.

Cwarrior

I never did finish the world ends with you, tried to get back to it multiple times over the years but am completely lost I don't remember what the hell is going on in the story, I barely remember anything, I last played it a few years ago left off on "Beat day 5", how far was I from the end?

how many days? i did shiki week and joshua week

anyways great game, excellent battle system that makes great use of the ds, it's hard to believe this came out of square enix of all places.

I got say the world art and especially the monster art were great but the character design were pretty bad.

I never did finish the world ends with you, tried to get back to it multiple times over the years but am completely lost I don't remember what the hell is going on in the story, I last played it a few years ago left off on "Beat day 5", how far was I from the end?

You were pretty damn close to the end.

Fuu

I never did finish the world ends with you, tried to get back to it multiple times over the years but am completely lost I don't remember what the hell is going on in the story, I barely remember anything, I last played it a few years ago left off on "Beat day 5", how far was I from the end?

how many days? i did shiki week and joshua week

anyways great game, excellent battle system that makes great use of the ds, it's hard to believe this came out of square enix of all places.
Beat also had 7 days, so you were pretty close. It's easy to lose track of some details if you stop playing for a long while, but after you finish the main story you unlock the Secret Reports in the post-game content (where you can also revisit every day of the game), and those do a fine job in answering any plot questions you may have in case you're still interested in beating it.

Gartooth

I don't really see how they could just add "another episode" to the story of TWEWY.

I mean, yes, from every other angle it's significantly more likely and/or practical than a full blown sequel, never mind one for another platform, but the story wraps up really nicely. The one thread they purposefully leave hanging for a potential sequel is not designed around the existing game- that is, an extra episode would have to mix things up in a fashion that would be considered bizarre for what would basically be a piece of DLC.

So they'd really be pulling something out of their arse if they do go down that road.

Wait they left the story open to a sequel? I never knew that, everything in the game from the story to the
secret reports
led me to believe that they wrapped up the story nicely into one package without need for another.

Care to share what this "thread" is?

7594c99e4616208b6e1adabcec36e756.jpg

Credits to the original poster.

Its like those japanese girls that cover always their mouths.

Gardios

Didn't even think twice about it,
she's clearly Shiki. I'm %100 %90 positive.
The headphones might indicate that Neku won't be coming back or implied to be a goodbye gift when they separated.

She reminds me of a Persona 4 character (might be a spoiler, never played it)
Naoto's redesign. I think it also was for character development or something?

Except
Naoto's character development was about accepting her femininity so the changes to her appearance like her growing out her hair and not taping down her breasts anymore made sense. Shiki's development centered around her getting over her jealousy of Eri and loving herself for who she was. Her suddenly completely changing her appearance(remember, she looks likethis), wearing headphones, which were a symbol of isolation in TWEWY(and those aren't even the same headphones that Neku wore either), and still having Mr. Mew, who she lets go of in the ending doesn't exactly strike me as the results of that character development. Much more like massive character derailment if this turns out to be Shiki.

Fuu

Wait they left the story open to a sequel? I never knew that, everything in the game from the story to the
secret reports
led me to believe that they wrapped up the story nicely into one package without need for another.

Care to share what this "thread" is?
I'm not sure if this is what he meant but the dialogue between
Hanekoma and Joshua in the secret ending implies the Angels from the Higher Plane won't take their actions in Shibuya lightly and that there will be consequences:

[Joshua in his Composer form and Mr. Hanekoma watch Neku and friends from the
roof of the 104 building.]

Mr. H: You know... This mess is gonna have repercussions upstairs. But hey,
at least things are back to normal, right? What? You seem down! Hey,
it's their world. They get to decide what to do with it. Just..

[Joshua leaves, disappearing into a ball of light and sparkles. Mr. Hanekoma
laughs, spreading his own angel wings.]

Mr. H: Some folks just don't take no for an answer.

[Mr. Hanekoma leaves, disappearing into a ball of light and following
Joshua.]

Gartooth

Hanekoma and Joshua in the secret ending implies the Angels from the Higher Plane won't take their actions in Shibuya lightly and that there will be consequences:

Joshua.]

Huh, didn't really ever think of that as a way to tie in a sequel, but rather just those characters reflecting on the events that transpired during the game.

Mista Koo

I like how fast fan artists are:

Except
Naoto's character development was about accepting her femininity so the changes to her appearance like her growing out her hair and not taping down her breasts anymore made sense. Shiki's development centered around her getting over her jealousy of Eri and loving herself for who she was. Her suddenly completely changing her appearance(remember, she looks likethis), wearing headphones, which were a symbol of isolation in TWEWY(and those aren't even the same headphones that Neku wore either), and still having Mr. Mew, who she lets go of in the ending doesn't exactly strike me as the results of that character development. Much more like massive character derailment if this turns out to be Shiki.
I don't really remember well, but
from what I remember Shiki was jealous of Eri because she was shy and not hot like her or something lol. So the changes show that she has embraced her beauty and became more outgoing. It also shows her skills in fashion maybe? Oh and the headphones are just an accessory, it's a game by Nomura so take it with a grain of salt.

Also I don't remember her letting go of Mr. Mew. And I don't see her giving him to someone else (unless the fanfic theory is true).

Joshua.]

This is what I was referring to. A secret ending mentioning repercussions? Definitely a sequel hint.

Gardios

I like how fast fan artists are:

I don't really remember well, but
from what I remember Shiki was jealous of Eri because she was shy and not hot like her or something lol. So the changes show that she has embraced her beauty and became more outgoing. It also shows her skills in fashion maybe? Oh and the headphones are just an accessory, it's a game by Nomura so take it with a grain of salt.

Also I don't remember her letting go of Mr. Mew. And I don't see her giving him to someone else (unless the fanfic theory is true).

I dunno, I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, but a visual change so drastic just kinda..bugs me and strikes me as being a bit too outta place.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSACyarn_A0 Around 5:08? Maybe? Then again, looking at it again I'm not so sure myself if she actually drops him, lol.

Don't see why people are saying iOS-exclusive. SE has really only made one iOS-exclusive title and that was Final Fantasy Dimensions, which I believe isn't really selling (could be wrong though, its just that with a price tag of $30 and little to no marketing, its pretty hard to see it selling). Its more likely that TWEWY 2 would come to the 3DS as well as the iOS.

Personally, this character (despite knowing nothing about her) looks boring. I'd rather have completely unrelated characters than the child of Shiki and Neku, or at least make her her own character and not an amalgam of the two.

One thing I'd like to see is that this game explores other planes of existence (the underground was one of the planes of existence our souls can go to in TWEWY).

Fuu

Wonder how they're going to do tin-pin on a touch screen. Man, that was actually pretty fun for end game material!
The interface looks like this now:

9xqRj.png

You use whammies by tapping the corresponding icon (helping hand is automatic), rest of the gameplay is the same.

PerdxxBlade

Neo Member
Okay, the video apparently shows that the sequel teaser picture comes in at the end, but I NEVER got it. How do you unlock it? Do you have to unlock all the hidden reports?! No one mentioned HOW you get this...And I can't find it anywhere online, either....Please someone tell me.

PK Gaming

I'm pretty sure "Niki" is Neku & Shiki's daughter. Shiki actually
has black hair
but i don't think its out of the question for their daughter to how light brown(?) hair.

Fuu

Okay, the video apparently shows that the sequel teaser picture comes in at the end, but I NEVER got it. How do you unlock it? Do you have to unlock all the hidden reports?! No one mentioned HOW you get this...And I can't find it anywhere online, either....Please someone tell me.
I can confirm you unlock it by getting all secret reports. The game treats it as part of the original secret ending so the requirement is the same.

PerdxxBlade

Neo Member
I can confirm you unlock it by getting all secret reports. The game treats it as part of the original secret ending so the requirement is the same.
Holy crap, that's insane that people have already gotten it. I mean, it was only out for like 3-4 days before that pic was online, damn!

Vibed

Just caught wind of this and although this seems surefire, I'm not sure whether I should get my hopes up.

But oh my god. HYYYYYYPE.

Fuu

Holy crap, that's insane that people have already gotten it. I mean, it was only out for like 3-4 days before that pic was online, damn!
I'm pretty sure people just ripped the picture from the app. You can do it with an iOS file management program, and in the case of TWEWY Solo Remix all the cutscenes are simple .mov files.

JnBzK.png

Top Bottom