• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You sequel teased in iOS game

El Sloth

Banned
Couldn't get more than 2 hours in
I think Neku is a good character because unlike many other video game protags he actually goes through a significant growth of, well, character. The initial emo-ness makes the growth all the better in my opinion.

I can totally understand why you would be turned off by the character enough to stop playing though.

Forever

Banned
Shibuya and ,,7 new days'' don't really scream full-fledged sequel to me, even less on handhelds if it comes from this ios thing.

It perpetually astounds me that people expect a sequel to take place anywhere other than Shibuya. The game was literally all about Shibuya, it's completely infused into every aspect of the design. A different location would feel more "side story" than full-fledged sequel.

Couldn't get more than 2 hours in

Then you missed the point of character development.

It perpetually astounds me that people expect a sequel to take place anywhere other than Shibuya. The game was literally all about Shibuya, it's completely infused into every aspect of the design. A different location would feel more "side story" than full-fledged sequel.

Idk,
they made a point to say that there were other games happening in the world. Plus, I don't see what was really Shibuya-centric about the overall themes of the game.

Red UFO

I get what you're saying, but I have a hard time imagining another plot that isn't just the plot of the original if you keep it in Shibuya.

Saying that, I have a hard time imagining ANY plot that isn't just the plot of the original, regardless of location.

I guess that's the sign of a great game.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
She may be a jerk like Neku at the start too for all we know, lol.

Well, they could put it on Wii U!
Or the DS again, all the fans have one + dat installed base. :lol

Joking aside, I'll love it if we get the same kind of behind the scenes talk like the creators roundtable we got for the first game so we know how they decided on things (an advantage of having it in any Nintendo system would be the possible Iwata Asks). Even the deviantart contest had interesting information on the gallery.

It perpetually astounds me that people expect a sequel to take place anywhere other than Shibuya. The game was literally all about Shibuya, it's completely infused into every aspect of the design.
It's not surprising since the story says there are
UG's all over the world with their own set of rules
, and they did plan for the game to take place in the entire world at first. But yeah, Shibuya was ideal because having the office close is what allowed them to cram so much detail in the first place and the setting really shone because of that.

(Since I mentioned it I'm putting those parts of the roundtable here for anyone who never read it before.)

Arakawa: We knew it was going to be set in a modern world. At first we were going to use the entire world.

Hasegawa: We first had ideas to gather cities. Like gathering the Tokyo Tower or the Sphinx. Then, we wanted to get some source materials for inspiration, but we couldn’t go to Egypt (laugh).

Kando: So essentially the game’s world was shrunk down.

Hasegawa: Mr. Kando one day just told us that we’re going with Shibuya and Shibuya only (laugh). That we’re going to make a game that completely remakes Shibuya.

Arakawa: Quality over quantity, making one thing solid.

Kando: We first thought of including cities that could be reached with the Yamanote Line train and travel around known cities, but then we decided to concentrate it down to one spot. Shibuya has an image as a melting pot, so we thought that we could stage the entire game world in Shibuya. We also thought that it’d be easier to tell a story this way as well, so we stuck with Shibuya.

Hasegawa: I was unsure about it at first, but once the playing field was decided and being made, I felt that it was realistic. We knew from the beginning that the game would be in 2D, and even in such a limited state we were asked to recreate Shibuya faithfully. That’s when I saw the game in my head. I felt then that this game, with its dual-screen battles and the setting in Shibuya, would not have a heavy, epic story. I rather felt that it would have a stoic, mystery-laden story that would keep the player guessing. Within that setting there are battles, and people meet with each other and tell a story of comradely in a realistic way. At least that’s what I imagined (laugh). I think that’s how the game turned out, though, pretty much.

Hasegawa: I remember going on location hunts (laugh).

Kando: I went location hunting quite often (laugh).

Arakawa: I remember saying how fun it’d be to do battles here while walking around (laugh).

Hasegawa: We really went often.

Kando: We went at least two to three times during the first half of development. We got on the roofs of buildings without permission and took a bunch of pictures (laugh). We decided on a definite location for the game after that, and the Ohdachi group went there even more often, a week or two.

Hasegawa: He took a lot of pictures, trying to find the coolest angles.

Kando: It also had a lot to do with how close we were. Our office is in Shinjuku, so Shibuya’s right there.

Hasegawa: It’s only 10 minutes away or so on the Yamanote Line train.

Kando: Mr. Ohdachi visited Shibuya every morning and checked out areas that he found interesting, and then went to work (laugh).

Muku

Shibuya and ,,7 new days'' don't really scream full-fledged sequel to me, even less on handhelds if it comes from this ios thing.

Maybe, but who knows what will happen with the first seven days? Or how long they might be.

Without a time frame though, it's hard to say who it could be. I liked the thought it could be
Neku's friend. But also thought at seeing picture maybe it's Shiki's friend.
And whoever mentioned it could be
Shiki's line of clothing this person is wearing,
I love that thought.

I don't subscribe to that idea, lol.
I think the best way to include the OG characters would be to maybe have Shiki designs as one of the new clothing lines (which would explain why this girl is holding a Mr Mew) and Neku being the new Cat. It gets too fanfiction-y for me if that character is their child.

also remember
one of the core mechanics of the first game was that your combat success in the spirit world subconsciously affected trends in the real world. The final boss battle and general events of the first game could have just made the headphones and stuffed cat really popular.

El Sloth

Banned
I forget whether it was said during the main story or in one of the secret documents, but it was the line of different Games happening all over the world and every district having it's own quasi-omnipotent conductor that fuels the calls for Paris and the like.

I personally don't see the series leaving Shibuya anytime soon in the near future. The setting itself was an important character in TWEWY. You could even argue it was more important than say Neku or Joshua were.

I figure the town will just have more places to explore and more things to interact with and hopefully some extra areas.

TrueBlue

Another theory, apologies if it's already been said.

Isn't it possible that Shiki realised her dream of becoming a fashion designer and that her Mr Mew design became the next big thing? Kinda like the pins in the original if you think about it. This new character might not even have any relation to any of the characters, Mr Mew and headphones aside.

Red UFO

I guess it could be cool if instead of using different pins we used different dolls. I doubt it will happen though.

TrueBlue

It's been brought up and I prefer it way more than just "x & y's kid."

As do I. In fact, I think that angle would fit perfectly with Shiki's development and personality, while also leaving her mark on the new characters without being overly intruding.

El Sloth

Banned
^ Totally agree. Although I'm sure there will be at least one old character that will play a big part in the new story.
I wonder if they'll give Joshua a new form.
I guess it could be cool if instead of using different pins we used different dolls. I doubt it will happen though.
Bu-bu-bu Tin Pin Slammer!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
One thing I have to say, Streetpass would be a great match for the "Mingle" pin levelling up system.

How is that stylish?

I guess it can be argued it looks formal and neat. Another reason could be that school uniforms vary between some schools so it makes wearing it feel special.

Idk I'm not much of an expert on their culture but I guess I can understand why.

How is that stylish?

A lot of kids pick schools that have 'stylish' uniforms. They're stuck wearing them all day on week days, so they want them to look good.

I'm not a high school kid, but that's what students have told me and it's pretty clear that's the case when you go out on the weekends and see most girls wearing their uniform despite not being in school.

One day in the winter, I asked some students why they were wearing their uniform on a Sunday and they said it was because the uniform was warmer and looked cuter than their winter clothes.

Cultural differences etc etc.

But would they really tease the iOS sequel at the end? Like what if it sold like shit and they cancelled it. People would be bothering them about it forever. I think this is for a 3DS game and then we'll get the iOS port of that game if this version sells well.

Cbajd5

My two cents on this:

1. Yay for a possible sequel!
So how/why'd she die?

2. Sequel tease on iOS does not mean the game has to be on iOS, just look at Kingdom Hearts. PS2 > GBA > PS2 > DS + PSP > Cell Phone/DS > 3DS and then there's that completely unrelated VCast game in there.

Edit:

OH GOD

Mr. Mew is actually possessing Shiki...
And Mr. Mew will be the main character of the sequel.

THIS

watershed

Banned
I hope a sequel uses a completely new battle system. Although I love the combat in TWEWY I also liked how different it was. I don't want a sequel to retread the same ground. Also the dual screen, touch input combat wouldn't work too well on the 3ds. Time for new experiments in gameplay.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
iOS or 3DS, I don't care.

Just make a sequel and I will buy it for my iPad 2 or any other hardware it comes out on, Day 1. Just make it playable on my hardware :D

jbug617

Banned
I still say there is a possibility of a Wii-U version. Sooner or later Japanese developers have to announce their plans for that console.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I still say there is a possibility of a Wii-U version. Sooner or later Japanese developers have to announce their plans for that console.

That would make me happy, the Japanese developers have been oddly silent about the console that they should be jumping for joy for.

Regardless of wherever it goes, I will follow. If they do a PS Vita iteration, I will buy the console the day it is released.

Forever

Banned
Headphones and Mr.Mew? This is some "and then you play as their daughter" fanfic level bull, isn't it...

I actually like this idea better than the obvious alternatives, which are bringing back the same cast and doing a completely unrelated protagonist.

Mit-

ALL RIGHT MR. TWITTER GUY, I'm sorry for being so rough if you were indeed desperately trying to hint at this.

HOWEVER, after that last debacle, I am ABSOLUTELY NOT getting excited for this, because I am almost certain this will end up being an iOS only game. And I have an Android device. And I want it on 3DS anyways. So fuck you 2012 Square ;_;

Given the tease, it might well be either a new week just for the iOS version, or a iOS / Vita sequel, so they could keep the battle system and not working too much on two screens as it would require a 3DS version, which seems unlikely now.

Given the tease, it might well be either a new week just for the iOS version, or a iOS / Vita sequel, so they could keep the battle system and not working too much on two screens as it would require a 3DS version, which seems unlikely now.

Never seen anyone get something so wrong before. It's amusing. A 3ds version is the most likely of all.

Never seen anyone get something so wrong. A 3ds version is the most likely of all.

All the work done for the iOS version seems to me Square clear intention to continue the series on iOS; indeed, the team states in a post-mortem of the game that the dual screen battles were the thing that went wrong the most during the development, and the worst part for the players.

Top Bottom