• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You sequel teased in iOS game

I doubt they'd go back to dual screen combat, I don't think it was really a success.

The original had several print runs in the US. It was a cult hit worldwide. It sold well enough for them to make the ios version and give it all this tender love. They didn't make the solo remix version as a charity; they clearly felt the first did well enough to warrant a revisit.

A sequel would do even better.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I would be stoked just to have another TWEWY game. Neku made an appearance in the Kingdom Hearts 3DS demo, so I feel like Square wouldn't mind spreading the love there. But a new TWEWY on either 3DS, iOS, or - hell - even Vita would be sweet.

I'd prefer it with two screens, though.

The sequel will release first for 3DS, Vita or both without a doubt. SE can get away with charging $40+ for it without an issue and then port it to iOS later for $20. It's not like iOS players have shown any aversion to way late ports like console players have.

I'd actually been thinking that Solo Remix might get ported to 3DS/Vita at some point as a budget game since the new screen setup on the 3DS really doesn't support the old DS gameplay anyway.

Ah, who am I kidding... SE will ad a couple new features and release it on handhelds for full price as Solo Remix +

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For the platform debate, niche 3DS games in the West perform about as well as late-gen PSP titles, but the 3DS is on fire in Japan.

iOS is much stronger globally, but this would be a game that doesn't fit well with the current market paradigm.

It's kind of a hard situation for Square Enix whatever they choose.

maybe it's neku's friend that dies prior to the game stuff

:eek:

That's also an interesting theory. Presumably the game would then be
parallel to the original.

Mzo

The original had several print runs in the US. It was a cult hit worldwide. It sold well enough for them to make the ios version and give it all this tender love. They didn't make the solo remix version as a charity; they clearly felt the first did well enough to warrant a revisit.

A sequel would do even better.
What? Never said anything against the game or how well it sold.

I just meant that if they're making a sequel, I doubt they'd use the same dual screen combat from the first game. Obviously some people liked it but it was generally thought to be confusing, aka not a success in terms of design.

Seems like something out of a fan fiction. The headphones, Mr. Mew. Might as well start calling her Shiku Sakuraba. That being said, I'd be there day one for a TWEWY sequel. Heck, i'd even go out and purchase an iOS device just to play it.

BlueWord

Honestly, it's probably than just a straight up announcement. We got an interesting upgraded port as well as what can basically be viewed as confirmation of a sequel.

Also, I wouldn't look into the Mr. Mew thing too much. He was always sort of a mascot for the game - I'm sure there's some explanation for how it ended up in this girl's hands, but the daughter thing seems unlikely to me.

For the platform debate, niche 3DS games in the West perform about as well as late-gen PSP titles, but the 3DS is on fire in Japan.

iOS is much stronger globally, but this would be a game that doesn't fit well with the current market paradigm.

That's also an interesting theory.

Except TWEWY sold much, much better in the US, and it was largely considered disappointing saleswise in Japan.

They will go for the higher price point sales on the 3DS (Vita), then the iOS solo remix version a few months after.

braves01

Banned
Obviously not enough people could benefit from this to make it worthwhile to implement, but since TWEWY 2 presumably takes place in Tokyo and will be for iOS at some point, it'd be cool if they made some bonus bosses or challenges you could do when you're in different areas of the city according to your GPS.

What? Never said anything against the game or how well it sold.

I just meant that if they're making a sequel, I doubt they'd use the same dual screen combat from the first game. Obviously some people liked it but it was generally thought to be confusing, aka not a success in terms of design.

Ah, I misunderstood. My apologies.

The dual screen was rough for some people, but I don't think they will abandon it in the sequel.

Pikma

Banned
Nope, not riding this one, there's no more hype trains for me this year, it'll probably end as a 2015 iOS-only game, I'm gone, call me if Famitsu reveals it as a 3DS exclusive.
It won't happen

Aeana

Nope, not riding this one, there's no more hype trains for me this year, it'll probably end as a 2015 iOS-only game, I'm gone, call me if Famitsu reveals it as a 3DS exclusive.
It won't happen
Should we still all you if it's on 3DS but not exclusive?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Except TWEWY sold much, mucher better in the US, and it was largely considered disappointing saleswise in Japan.

They will go for the higher price point sales on the 3DS (Vita), then the iOS solo remix version a few months after.

Having seen lifetime NPD numbers and given that the numbers for Japan are public, I can say this is patently false.

They're actually quite close.

If they plan from the beginning to port the game across all available platforms (maybe even throw Steam in there) I can't see the game being that big of a risk for Square, especially when you consider that they can capture the graphical style of the game without expending a FF level dev budget.
That's also an interesting theory. Presumably the game would then be
parallel to the original.
The "New 7 Days" teaser makes it sound like a follow up to me.

Like I said, the smartest thing for Squeenix to do is to design it from the ground up to be playable on a single screen and then release it on both 3DS and iOS and maybe other platforms too.

StuBurns

Banned
Regardless of in which territory it sold best, I can't see why they wouldn't support both platforms. I don't see why one over the other is ever preferable to both.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The implication that it would do much better in Japan, rather than the West, because the 3DS sells better in Japan.

I will amend my original supposition and say that it'll do just fine in both.

Well, my implication was more that they have less potential audience in the West and their peers have sold worse.

The game could buck the trend, certainly, but niche DS games had a lot more precedent.

OMGOMGOMGOMG
YESSS YESSSSS YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Okay *breathes* That was my temporal hype, I swear to God if this is iOS exclusive...

Ah, I misunderstood. My apologies.

The dual screen was rough for some people, but I don't think they will abandon it in the sequel.
IDK, two different sized screens and one is 3D? All developers seem to be avoiding putting anything of importance on the lower screen so far.

Nintendo even abandoned using it for Nintendogs when the entire point of the first game was using the lower screen to directly interact with your pet.

bon

Like I said, the smartest thing for Squeenix to do is to design it from the ground up to be playable on a single screen and then release it on both 3DS and iOS and maybe other platforms too.

That sounds bad to me. I don't want the 3DS version to be gimped for the sake of the iOS version.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Regardless of in which territory it sold best, I can't see why they wouldn't support both platforms. I don't see why one over the other is ever preferable to both.

Well, I feel it's mainly important in terms of pricing and order of release.

Releasing a $20 iOS game at the same time as a $40 3DS game is a bad idea.

I would very likely prefer it to be a 3DS game, it's just that I feel platform decisions might be harder for Square Enix this time from a business perspective, especially if they are looking to turn it into a notable brand.

Given how few brands they release these days, I imagine they might be trying.

If they plan from the beginning to port the game across all available platforms (maybe even throw Steam in there) I can't see the game being that big of a risk for Square, especially when you consider that they can capture the graphical style of the game without expending a FF level dev budget.
If they go extremely multiplatform I see no issues at all.

tolkir

Possible TWEWY Sequel for IOS?

i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet.png

StuBurns

Banned
Does Square Enix usually make day one cross-platform releases? I'm drawing a blank here.
There haven't been many reasons to before. FFXIII was in the West, XIII-2 was, XIII-3 will no doubt be.

SE need to be progressive, everything should be on every viable platform that the gameplay fits, at the same time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There haven't been many reasons to before. FFXIII was in the West, XIII-2 was, XIII-3 will no doubt be.

SE need to be progressive, everything should be on every viable platform that the gameplay fits, at the same time.

I feel new Square Enix Japan is the hardest to predict since they're changing a lot, but at the same time not changing everything.

Mzo

Well, for handhelds, I don't think they ever have except for the FFIII port years later.

Mr. Fix

Wasn't there
another week of the game after Neku was shot and before he arrived in the real world?
Would be a nice twist.

Wow she's cute. I'd rather play as her than I HATE EVERYONE total jerk neku

B-b-but he changes....
:(

maybe it's neku's friend that dies prior to the game stuff

:eek:
I started thinking about it, and the fact that she also wore headphones led me to believe this might be a possibility, but then I remembered that the new main character HAS to have headphones because the characters are supposed to be listening to the music that's playing.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, for handhelds, I don't think they ever have except for the FFIII port years later.
It's never been viable. The PSP and the DS were worlds apart, one was technologically greatly ahead, one had two screens, one of which was touch screen. Games for those devices were generally lower budget, and those install bases were large.

I think not porting Crisis Core to PS2 was a colossal loss of revenue though, that really could have sold four million copies, with a very cheap port.

It's been some bizarre thing in Japan that games are designed, built and released on a single platform, as if multiplatform releases/ports are bad form or something. Those days are long past being realistic given where the industry is, and everyone in Japan needs to start whoring out everything they have on every possible platform.

Top Bottom