• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You - Solo Remix (iPhone/iPad) announced [Out Now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikma

Banned
It's almost like Square-Enix is a business or something....

You can't blame anyone but yourself (or god) for your hype. To them this is in fact a big deal and as a business this was a good way to promote it's release since you can't run commercials for IOS games and Apple probably wasn't going to hype it up either. So you hype it up via countdowns. Getting it's name out there.

I'm not happy about this shit either as I don't find playing games on my Iphone that fun BUT I 'm also not gonna blame them for Hyping this up....

It's kinda their job.

From now on expect IOS, Facebook, mobile games when there are countdown sites. Most games are revealed via tradeshows, famitsu, gameinformer and the likes. it seems.

Hype Trains only lead to pain.

Oh no, I'm not one of the butthurt fans, I expected this just by reading the first post in the thread, it's just that I find funny that the same people that get all angry about these things are the ones that promote them the most.

Oh no, I'm not one of the butthurt fans, I expected this just by reading the first post in the thread, it's just that I find funny that the same people that get all angry about these things are the ones that promote them the most.

Lol yeah.

I didn't mean to come off that strongly (if I did).

But basically don't hype up anything.

It saves you the heartache.

Seriously the last few OMG WAIT UNTIL THIS DAY FOR REVEALZ have been awful. You would think people would know by now...but nope.

something i just realized. Fans complain when a game gets zero marketing, but fans also complain when marketing goes to work for stuff they weren't imagining.

Was thinking of applying for marketing job... maybe not.

Imagine if There was a Week-long Countdown site put up for Eternal Darkness?

Would you announce :
A. Eternal Darkness Sequel/remake?
B. A decently made IOS game port of the GC version?

Protip: It's A

duckroll

Imagine if There was a Week-long Countdown site put up for Gran Turismo?

Would you announce :
A. Gran Turismo 6
B. A decently made IOS game port of GT4?

Nope actually it's more likely C: A car magazine virtual photoshoot collaboration between Polyphony and some high end manufacturers.

Please be realistic. :)

duckroll

I'd really like to know if this is Retina on the new iPad........

ttlNew004.jpg

txtNew008.gif

duckroll

Imagine if There was a Week-long Countdown site put up for Eternal Darkness?

Would you announce :
A. Eternal Darkness Sequel/remake?
B. A decently made IOS game port of the GC version?

Nope actually it's more likely C: A new Dark Horse comic miniseries based on Eternal Darkness by an "acclaimed" artist.

Nope actually it's more likely C: A new Dark Horse comic miniseries based on Eternal Darkness by an "acclaimed" artist.

I never had my hopes up to begin with, so I didn't get burned
I dont even have an Iphone so there's no worrying whether to get it or not

You need to do something about that negativity duck
you need mo' moe in your heart

suikoden352

Neo Member
so is there no news then on when this will be out here in the states or is this even going to come over? sorry if this has already been mentioned in past pages of the thread.

edit: just found out it is out now here. sorry =P

boiled goose

good with gravy
looks interesting.

i think the story and style are interesting enough for the game to have some value even with the dumbed down battle system.

expanding brand awareness is a good thing. I wonder how it will sell.
It seems SE really believes there is a sizeable gamer demographic for this game on iOS devices.

EulaCapra

Holy crap, $18-$20??? The game deserves a high price tag, just didn't think it would be that high for a port... on the iOS... several years later.

Shinta

Banned
Holy crap, $18-$20??? The game deserves a high price tag, just didn't think it would be that high for a port... on the iOS... several years later.

It has a 60 song OST. That's 3 long CDs. That alone is worth $20, even on iTunes. The game is well worth $20.

Vice

$20 is too much for this. It's a fantastic game buy $20 for an ioS game is too steep for the market place. $7.99-12.99 would have been fine.

Skilletor

$20 is too much for this. It's a fantastic game buy $20 for an ioS game is too steep for the market place. $7.99-12.99 would have been fine.

People keep saying this, but SE keeps releasing games in this price range. They must be doing pretty well.

Or maybe they are that stupid and keep releasing games at a price so high nobody will buy them.

I dunno.

DR2K

Banned
People keep saying this, but SE keeps releasing games in this price range. They must be doing pretty well.

Or maybe they are that stupid and keep releasing games at a price so high nobody will buy them.

I dunno.

I'd put more money on the stupid thing.

Vice

I dunno.

For Final Fantasy and a couple others rpgs. The rest of the titles, even most FF games, fall between $8 and $12. Their non-rpg games go for less than $8.

I'll say this, at least if it is $20 you know it isn't going to be 0.99 in a week *cough* EA *cough*.

I quite often get $20 itunes vouchers as gifts and such, so will probably get it then if impressions are solid or it gets supported well.

Synless

It's not retina on the iPad? What kind of trick advertising is that shit!?!?

Edit* and it is not universal....

teiresias

I never played the game when I had a DS, so I might pick this up if it gets an Android release to play when I get a Nexus 7.

Several have, including fighters like sf4. Need to keep an open mind.

Ios is not the problem. Poorly thought out and rushed translations are the issue. Being expensive, huge in size and non-universal are also not the best ideas.

I agree, iOS itself is not the problem. Trying to port games that are dependent on a d-pad and physical buttons to ANY touch screen-only device is the problem. In that regard, I feel the same way about Android OS as I do about iOS as a gaming platform.

But I have kept an open mind. Several times. And I got burned every time. I bought and played Katamari, Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter IV Volt, Secret of Mana, Mega Man 2, and Mega Man X (all on sale, thankfully) and every single one of them is a terrible port for the exact same reason: their d-pad/button controls translate horribly to the touch screen. Virtual buttons just don't cut it.

So yeah, I have kept an open mind; I'm not just talking out of my ass as some blanket cell phone gaming hater. There are several awesome games built from the ground up for iOS that are excellent, such as Groove Coaster and Fruit Ninja. But I have yet to find a console-to-phone port that makes me feel like they ever work out well.

I agree, iOS itself is not the problem. Trying to port games that are dependent on a d-pad and physical buttons to ANY touch screen-only device is the problem. In that regard, I feel the same way about Android OS as I do about iOS as a gaming platform.

But I have kept an open mind. Several times. And I got burned every time. I bought and played Katamari, Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter IV Volt, Secret of Mana, Mega Man 2, and Mega Man X (all on sale, thankfully) and every single one of them is a terrible port for the exact same reason: their d-pad/button controls translate horribly to the touch screen. Virtual buttons just don't cut it.

So yeah, I have kept an open mind; I'm not just talking out of my ass as some blanket cell phone gaming hater. There are several awesome games built from the ground up for iOS that are excellent, such as Groove Coaster and Fruit Ninja. But I have yet to find a console-to-phone port that makes me feel like they ever work out well.

The games you listed are terrible, but not sf4. I'll stand by the fact the controls are great. I can easily complete all the trials for each character for example. Yes this is using short cuts, but hence the translation. Kof also controls great on an iphone (agree not ipad). On the other hand mvc2 and mortal kombat are complete junk.

Not sure about this game yet, but saying touch controls cannot be translated is in my view incorrect. Maybe for you personally, which is fine, but they can work for me and I presume others. I can understand your pov though, because games like bbs or sf4 on 3ds are unplayable to me due to my large hands.

Funny thing, this might be the first instance where a port to ios actually changed a key component of the battle system instead of just trying to half ass some virtual sticks or w/e, which makes it really interesting.

Not sure if it's better or worst but it could very well be a great ios game instead of a 'subpar port of a great ds game'.

Just looking at screens and videos of this ios version, you could never tell this was originally a ds game, which makes this quite possibly one of the best 'reimagining on a different platform' games... ever?

Are there really any other examples of this?

Several have, including fighters like sf4. Need to keep an open mind.

Ios is not the problem. Poorly thought out and rushed translations are the issue. Being expensive, huge in size and non-universal are also not the best ideas.

SF4 was pretty bad on IOS
it wasn't even 3d, it was sprite based, to say nothing of the controls ( going from 3 punches and 3 kicks to 1 punch and 1 kick? and then if you want the 6 button layout you have to make sure you tap the right one )

SF4 was pretty bad on IOS
it wasn't even 3d, it was sprite based, to say nothing of the controls

Are you judging it on it's merits or comparing it directly to the console versions? If the latter you can make a strong case to say it is bad, but in isolation, especially after the first couple of updates I can't see it.

Conan-san

So is there a specific reason why it's Iphone only and not Touch compatible or are Square hell bent on not getting any praise from this one?

That one thing about new games that use pixel art they always think game look better all flat smooth in so called HD I like my pixels.

yeah. i was all set to buy this, but after actually looking at the thing i think i'm just going to replay the original on my DSi LL.

Hylian7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5v8cyd3WgY

Video of Day 3.

Oh god I'm fucking dying at how they handled that boss fight. This thing is so gimped it's hilarious.

Also, does the partner not even take hits at all? The AI doesn't even seem to focus on Neku when the player uses the partner pin sometimes. Maybe they are playing on Easy though.

Near-end game spoiler:
So then if they're gimping those boss battles like that, how the hell are they going to handle the Konishi battle?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom