• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You - Solo Remix (iPhone/iPad) announced [Out Now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubern

Played about an hour of it. The 14,49€ price point had me hesitating, but since I have a 80€ credit which isn't getting any use and SE games rarely go on sale, I still bought it.

The touch screen controls work pretty much as they should, it's okay. Too bad about the battle being gimped, but they are still pretty enjoyable. I suppose the game will be a lot easier if you don't need to pay attention to the upper screen.

Graphically speaking, it's beautiful. I wasn't really convinced by the trailer, but I was really impressed once I saw the game run on my iPhone 4. No qualms on the musical side of things either, since it obviously sounds much, much better than on DS and it also looks like they put back the tracks that were removed from the EU/US release back in the day (I just heard Fighting for Freedom).

Also, the game saves automatically every time you do something significant (event ends, change screens, close main menu...), and unless I'm missing something, it's the only way to save. It's perfect, but likely means there isn't a way to create a second file in this version either.

When all is said and done, I think this is a really good effort from SE. There isn't a lot that could be done about battles and the use of dual screen so they did whatever they could, but everything else is simply upgraded compared to the DS release.
I never expected big things from the countdown and didn't hop on the hype train despite being a huge TWEWY fan, so I'm honestly really happy with this. I'm one of those who think we might be better off without a sequel, with the original game remaining a single entity gem, so getting such a quality port is okay for me.

heringer

Also, funny that right now I'm replaying two RPGs with the most obnoxious protagonists. Who's the biggest jerk, Neku or Squall? I think Neku got Squall beat on this one. Little guy is an ass.

Thankfully they both grow by the end of their stories.

Mario007

Also, funny that right now I'm replaying two RPGs with the most obnoxious protagonists. Who's the biggest jerk, Neku or Squall? I think Neku got Squall beat on this one. Little guy is an ass.

Thankfully they both grow by the end of their stories.

Neku simply because
he tried to kill Shiki

Jubern

So anyone on Week 2 yet? If so,
how did they handle Taboo Noise?

Is that
the noise you can only hurt with the character who has the puck?

I haven't touched the game in years, so I don't really remember.
Just asking BTW, I'm still only on W1D2.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
At least we all learned something these past few days.

i6Rfeu982maug.jpg

Pietepiet

Enjoying this so far. The puck passing system is still somewhat in. You have to alternate dealing damage with Neku and with his partner to have a higher damage output (shown in a green glow if you're attacking with the correct character). Only now it doesn't show a puck being passed across two screens.

Graphics look great too. I enjoyed the pixel-art in the original, but I feel this fits the game much better.

Shads

I've always wanted to play this game, but just never got around to buying it on the DS. I don't play my DS anymore, but do you think it's still worthwhile getting the iOS version? And if I were to get one, is the iPhone version sufficient or is the iPad version the way to go? I friggin hate how Square Enix never makes their games universal.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just played through this game about a month or two ago on DS for the first time, and it was AMAZING. I even made a thread about it, I think.

Either way, the idea of HD visuals and higher quality music is pretty awesome... I might double-dip. This game is just too damn good. I wonder how the dual-screened combat works, though.

Halfway through day 3 and I'm really enjoying this. I only made it about 1/3 through the DS version before I ended up selling my DS. Combat is a ton of fun, and everything looks great on the iPad's screen. I don't think I'd ever pick up another DS or 3DS so I'm really glad I had the chance to play this again.

Chinner

Banned
i dont know anything about TWEWY apart from it's reputation: it's amazing.

so whats happening in this thread, is the nerd outrage because a) they've changed the game or b) ios gaming?

colinp

Banned
i dont know anything about TWEWY apart from it's reputation: it's amazing.

so whats happening in this thread, is the nerd outrage because a) they've changed the game or b) ios gaming?

A bit of A, a lot of B, also a lot of C, wet panties for a countdown to a remake for ios.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
There's an OT now for the people who are playing/interested in it and want to discuss it without the nedrage.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks for coming in and insulting everyone.
Definitely not my intention, sorry if you read it this way. I didn't mean everyone but this thread is unarguably chockfull of people whining and nerd raging a lot because of the disappointment in the countdown, iOS hate and trashing on the port without having played it. Posts from people who were already playing the game were drowned between 10 other posts with knee-jerk reactions and lol Square Enix lol Brian Gray lol this is total shit no dual-screen, etc. Reading this thread it's obvious most people aren't even interested in this version, so the OT is supposed to be for those who actually want to give it a chance and want to get a discussion going, both with negative and positive points.

lostzenfound

Somehow I don't think they played the entire thing...

The turnaround for this review was nutso fast. I only had two days to play before writing that, and I did everything I could to beat the game. I'll be real, I didn't, but I've got close to 15 hours on this before I had to give up and start writing.

I'd normally try to give it a go and finish the game, but having played the DS game and having a day job, you do what you can.

Epcott

So is the countdown clock up? No more announcements?

I'm still hoping for "The World Ends With [Wii] U" but I don't see that happening.

Hylian7

Definitely not my intention, sorry if you read it this way. I didn't mean everyone but this thread is unarguably chockfull of people whining and nerd raging a lot because of the disappointment in the countdown, iOS hate and trashing on the port without having played it. Posts from people who were already playing the game were drowned between 10 other posts with knee-jerk reactions and lol Square Enix lol Brian Gray lol this is total shit no dual-screen, etc. Reading this thread it's obvious most people aren't even interested in this version, so the OT is supposed to be for those who actually want to give it a chance and want to get a discussion going, both with negative and positive points.

Lol get over yourself

You sit there just chocking this up to "lol they hate iOS" when this game literally does not fit on iOS without extremely gimping the game. It would be like removing jumping from Super Mario Bros. If there was some strange way to actually do a port to iOS correctly, I would be okay with it, but there isn't, and that's just the way it is.

The turnaround for this review was nutso fast. I only had two days to play before writing that, and I did everything I could to beat the game. I'll be real, I didn't, but I've got close to 15 hours on this before I had to give up and start writing.

I'd normally try to give it a go and finish the game, but having played the DS game and having a day job, you do what you can.

Fair enough, although I think the company should actually give ample time for these things. I think some of the changes concerning stuff later on in the game would be fairly important to the review (
taboo noise, boss battles that have something different on each screen, etc.
).

By the way, I can't remember hour numbers, but did you get to week two?

So is the countdown clock up? No more announcements?

I'm still hoping for "The World Ends With [Wii] U" but I don't see that happening.

Countdown is over, it was just set based on your computer's clock, so it probably hasn't expired for some people technically. It was just the iOS port.

Skilletor

You sit there just chocking this up to "lol they hate iOS" when this game literally does not fit on iOS without extremely gimping the game. It would be like removing jumping from Super Mario Bros. If there was some strange way to actually do a port to iOS correctly, I would be okay with it, but there isn't, and that's just the way it is.

Nevermind the fact that I disagree with you entirely, what about this announcement takes away the pleasure or ability to play the game "ungimped" on your DS?

Most of the posts in this thread (including the one you just made) amount to, "How dare you enjoy the game in a different manner than I do?"

Hylian7

Nevermind the fact that I disagree with you entirely, what about this announcement takes away the pleasure or ability to play the game "ungimped" on your DS?

Most of the posts in this thread (including the one you just made) amount to, "How dare you enjoy the game in a different manner than I do?"

Nothing, I'm just saying it's kind of being a dick to say "Well come on over here and get away from this 'nerdrage' to talk about the iOS version.", like we every beef we have with it is invalid or something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I may pick up the iPad version of this since I've been wanting to play it since it came out but the whole two character thing was pretty daunting to me.

Skilletor

Nothing, I'm just saying it's kind of being a dick to say "Well come on over here and get away from this 'nerdrage' to talk about the iOS version.", like we every beef we have with it is invalid or something.

Well, imo, any gameplay beefs are invalid since the existence of this version doesn't suddenly mean the DS version has disappeared. It's kind of a dick move to say that anybody who enjoys this version of the game is somehow playing a "gimped" version instead of something that's different.

I played the DS version. I completely ignored the top screen my entire time. I don't think this version is "gimped" at all. It's different. Not better or worse, just different. Acting any other way, to me, is the true dick move.

Edit: Without playing it, anyway. But just acting like, by virtue of lacking a second screen without taking into consideration any alterations made to the battle system, makes this version gimped is wrong.

heringer

Doesn't play the game, claims the changes are like removing jumping from Mario (oh boy). How dare anyone enjoy this.

Someone sounds just like the kind of people Fuu referenced to.

Hylian7

Doesn't play the game, claims the changes are like removing jumping from Mario (oh boy). How dare anyone enjoy this.

Someone sounds just like the kind of people Fuu referenced to.

Again, I never said people can't enjoy the iOS version, but they are missing out on half of the game in my opinion.

It's just like the people that played the DS version on Easy with 1-second Autoplay on the entire game. They missed the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom