• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TWEWY: Solo Remix |OT| Déjà vu

Goli

iqkYloHyeEFCj.png

iPhone version download link (iPhone 4+, not compatible with any iPod Touch model!)
iPad version download link (iPad 2+)

For more information click here!

Please keep port begging/fan rage/anything like that elsewhere, if you don't like this don't buy it, simple as that. Thanks!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So compared to the original, what is changed and/or what am I missing? I haven't played the game so I'm hesitating on which version to try out.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks, Goli. Quoting my posts from the other thread. On Day 6 at the moment, I'm going slower than I could since I want to take my time with it.

Already cleared some space for TWEWY, but Sanuku (who made the videos posted here) is claiming the game plays better on the iPhone's smaller screen. Guess I'll wait a few more impressions on iPad gameplay.

And who's making the OT?
I'm playing it on the iPhone and so far no issues whatsoever. I still can't provide in-depth impressions because I'm on the 3rd day, which means all the systems are still being unlocked one after the other, but all the pins available at this point + moving Neku around worked like they should just like in the DS version. I'm going to bed so unfortunately I have to stop for now.

Another thing, I was wondering if they'd scrap the sub-slot mechanic (optional feature for when you set pins with the same activation style in your deck), but it's still there. Instead of holding L or R to use the pins set to a sub-slot, you hold a "sub" button on the lower left of the screen with the thumb of the hand holding the device while you use the pin with the index finger of the playing hand. So stylus and button aside, pretty much the same way it was on the DS too.

Yeah, the file size is easily the worst thing about this so far, very unreasonable.

The cutscenes that used both screens are still there but differently. For example, when Neku looks at his hand/pins/etc it would usually be shown on the other screen, but here you get pop-ups like this (not direct screenshots, took this on youtube):

C9SxK.png
oNYd8.png

It comes up with a bounce and goes away after you tap. Elegant solution imo. The cutscenes that took both screens just happen in a single one now, like when you'd get a character filling both screens and such. For people who never played it before it's impossible to notice there was any difference originally, at least up to where I am.

The partner mechanic is barebones as of now but I'm expecting it to open up more when the specials and cards system thing mentioned on the site are unlocked, so I'm withholding my judgment. At the start you tap the enemies and Shiki attacks, and if you attack intermittently with her the sync goes up. I'm mostly curious about the bosses that used two screens.

I can make a thread tomorrow if no one makes one but I'm just thinking if it isn't better to discuss the game here. I have a feeling that any new TWEWY iOS-specific thread will just attract all the butthurt garbage from the other ones and that usually makes it hard to talk about the game itself.

for TWEWY, should I go for iphone or ipad?

I have the new ipad so I am worried the game will look less sharp, jaggy.

how does twewy run on iphone 4?
Runs and plays good on iPhone 4. I guess YMMV with the gameplay depending on your fingers, I personally haven't had trouble and it hasn't got in the way of the game. I'm still on the first week, so I'm not sure how it will be when things get more hectic. I just got the ability to chain battles and this is the point where things get more interesting on that front. So far so good.

The game is still fun with the new partner system, you're still able to make constant use of your partner for maximum damage and specials. It doesn't feel like a concession if you keep an open mind or if you never played the DS version, but yeah, avoid if you feel you'll get an aneurysm with the lack of second screen. That difference aside, everything else that's awesome about the game is still there. I can't wait to get further where it opens up even more, although even if I'm used to everything I still love the way it unravels the mechanics.

It looks great on the iPhone imo, but it's not iPad-retina so it most likely doesn't look so hot there.

cj_iwakura

So compared to the original, what is changed and/or what am I missing? I haven't played the game so I'm hesitating on which version to try out.

The game had dual screen combat. This version looks sharp, but it really lended itself to the DS control scheme. Buttons controlled your partner on the top, stylus on the bottom.

But hey, this is better than nothing.

Goli

I've only played a few minutes but besides the battle system it seems not much has changed it just has better (or worse, where they didn't actually re-do the assets but just filter them) graphics and higher quality music.

Pietepiet

The combat system got revamped to a single-screen system. In the original game, you controlled Neku on the bottom screen with touch, while the top screen, featuring whoever you were partnered up with, was controlled with the D-Pad.

In the iOS version, everything happens with touch on a single screen. Neku still attacks like he used to in the DS version, but the Partner now functions as an additional attack. Tapping an enemy will summon your partner to attack that enemy.

Also, in the original game, to increase your damage output you had to pass along a puck between the two screens by keeping up the offense. Whoever had the puck did more damage to the enemies.

In the iOS version, this is still somewhat intact. You have to alternate between Neku's regular attacks and attacking with your Partner to make sure you have the highest damage output possible.

Oh, and the game is prettier on iOS! And I say this as a professional pixel-artist and a fan of the original's pixel-art. I really think this higher res, illustrated style fits the game more than pixel-art.

Skilletor

The game had dual screen combat. This version looks sharp, but it really lended itself to the DS control scheme. Buttons controlled your partner on the top, stylus on the bottom.

But hey, this is better than nothing.

I found that paying attention to the top screen did nothing but distract me from playing the bottom screen. Using Neku, the main character was much more fun, and anytime I tried to pay attention to the top, I would take more damage on the bottom screen.

I turned the top screen to automatic and never worried about it.

I haven't gotten very far in this version, only at day 2, but I'm sure I won't care about the lack of the top screen.

I know that this is a huge deal for some people, I would just like to get that opinion out there. Missing the top screen isn't a deal breaker for me and, in fact, knowing that I won't have to worry about it later makes me think I'll enjoy the iOS version a bit more.

That being said, DS version is a great game, and having the option for that top screen for people that cared about it would suck for anybody who wanted to play the iOS version. But that version still exists. This version is a great game, just different from the original.

xJavonta

Banned
I know you can't play the iPhone version on your iPad but can you buy the iPad version and play it on an iPhone?

You can play the iPhone version on an iPad. I don't believe you can do it vice versa though.

And if you're jailbroken you can use Retina pad to unlock the retina assets so the iPad scaling doesn't look like ass.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Alright, so nothing really too different outside of the battle system it sounds like. Is framerate still the same too? I know in Ghost Trick, the framerate was actually lower than the DS version. It wasn't a huge problem but for a nit picker, it was a little disappointment

randomwab

Never played on the DS so I'm tempted to grab, but I thought the Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger ports for iOS were awful. Is this markedly better than those two?

heringer

I guess it depends on how you feel about the change in graphics and the dual screen combat.

Personally, I was never a fan of the dual screen gameplay in the original. Most of the battles I just focused on Neku and the AI soon took over the control of Shiki. It was just too hectic and the DDR gameplay itself wasn't particularly fun or engaging to me.

The partner concept is still intact in the iOS version. Saying "Shiki is just a pin now" completely misses the point. Now, instead of the puck system you have to string combos between Neku and Shiki to build your sync meter, and some enemies later on will only take damage when you are performing cross combos. You still very much depends on Shiki. You can make combos with her alone too, hitting one enemy after the other with.

I feel it's more engaging now that everything is mixed in one screen instead of two separate actions. A lot of people loved the dual aspect of the original though, so it's hard to say. I'm curious to see the opinion on the iOS version (after long exposure) from people who loved the combat of the DS version.

Skilletor

Alright, so nothing really too different outside of the battle system it sounds like. Is framerate still the same too? I know in Ghost Trick, the framerate was actually lower than the DS version. It wasn't a huge problem but for a nit picker, it was a little disappointment

This game runs really smooth on my iPad 2. Ghost Trick iOS made me go back to playing it on DS.

Omikaru

The original DS game was one of the best JRPGs I've ever played. I'm talking god tier here.

If you're only in it for the story, then none of the changes will affect you. In fact, the iOS port will probably be better. The HD graphics look sweet, and despite some groaners, doesn't look like a tacky flash-esque upscale. The bold colours that this game uses in its artwork really lends itself to the higher resolution. I kind of wish Capcom had gone the extra mile to make Ghost Trick support retina too, because I think it would've enjoyed similar benefits as this game.

But I don't know how interesting the battles will be if you're just playing the bottom screen mode. The original's battle system was pretty clumsy at first, but gained some elegance once you adjusted your playing style to the puck moving between screens. I'm not sure if tapping badges and swiping to dodge all the time is a particularly deep or engaging battle system without the DDR stuff on the top screen too.

But, that aside, I bet it's still a mighty fine game. I think a lot of the hate is from the countdown timer butthurt, and people crying major bitter tears over that, mixed in with a general dislike for iOS too. Despite what's been taken away, it's still probably an amazingly engaging and artistically unique RPG that will separate itself from the usual (but still very good) top flight iOS games in terms of content and production values. It really is a cut above anything else on that platform, in my view, and I say this as someone who does think iOS gaming is very good anyway.

I'm interested in trying this myself. I have no interest in playing the original on my 3DS again, so I may grab this version.

Skilletor

The original DS game was one of the best JRPGs I've ever played. I'm talking god tier here.

If you're only in it for the story, then none of the changes will affect you. In fact, the iOS port will probably be better. The HD graphics look sweet, and despite some groaners, doesn't look like a tacky flash-esque upscale. The bold colours that this game uses in its artwork really lends itself to the higher resolution. I kind of wish Capcom had gone the extra mile to make Ghost Trick support retina too, because I think it would've enjoyed similar benefits as this game.

But I don't know how interesting the battles will be if you're just playing the bottom screen mode. The original's battle system was pretty clumsy at first, but gained some elegance once you adjusted your playing style to the puck moving between screens. I'm not sure if tapping badges and swiping to dodge all the time is a particularly deep or engaging battle system without the DDR stuff on the top screen too.

The fun in it for me was using the right pins, using Neku's invulnerability during dashes to avoid damage, coming up with the right combos to do the most damage and have little downtime. I never depended or relied on the puck.

I had a lot of fun playing the game that way, along with raising my pins to get new abilities. One of the best things about TWEWY is that if feels like you're constantly progressing and being rewarded with new things to try and do.

Omikaru

The fun in it for me was using the right pins, using Neku's invulnerability during dashes to avoid damage, coming up wirh the right combos to do the most damage and have little downtime. I never depended or relied on the puck.

I had a lot of fun playing the game that way, along with raising my pins to get new abilities. One of the best things about TWEWY is that if feels like you're constantly progressing and being rewarded with new things to try and do.

I really relied on the puck, and the balancing act that involved, as I was pretty green as far as JRPGs go when I played it. The last JRPG I played before TWEWY was FFX. It was actually TWEWY that got me back into the genre. I think that's why I gravitated more to the puck mechanic. But eh, that's just me. I think I'd be ready try it the way you played, and I'm definitely interested in seeing the battle mechanic in more detail on iOS. I'd buy it and see for myself, but I'm a bit short on cash at the moment, and I have a big enough backlog as it is, so I'm in no rush to plonk £13 down for this game.

I definitely agree with the last bit though. The game is always giving you cool new stuff to try. It really was an excellent experience. It's amazing that I only picked it up by chance when browsing through GAME's website, looking to spend £30.

Skilletor

I really relied on the puck, and the balancing act that involved, as I was pretty green as far as JRPGs go when I played it. The last JRPG I played before TWEWY was FFX. It was actually TWEWY that got me back into the genre. I think that's why I gravitated more to the puck mechanic. But eh, that's just me. I think I'd be ready try it the way you played, and I'm definitely interested in seeing the battle mechanic in more detail on iOS. I'd buy it and see for myself, but I'm a bit short on cash at the moment, and I have a big enough backlog as it is, so I'm in no rush to plonk £13 down for this game.

I definitely agree with the last bit though. The game is always giving you cool new stuff to try. It really was an excellent experience. It's amazing that I only picked it up by chance when browsing through GAME's website, looking to spend £30.

No, no. I'm just offering a counterpoint to the way you played. i'm not trying to infer my way or your way was right, just that there are different ways to play. :)

So many people, not you, just others in other threads, are ready to lambast this version because it can't be played exactly like the DS version that I want to offer an opinion of somebody who, apparently, played the DS version comparable to what the iOS version is.

The game is amazing and people should play it. Whether it be this version or the DS.

Jubern

Quoting myself from the other thread for those on the fence :

Played about an hour of it. The 14,49€ price point had me hesitating, but since I have a 80€ credit which isn't getting any use and SE games rarely go on sale, I still bought it.

The touch screen controls work pretty much as they should, it's okay. Too bad about the battles being gimped, but they are still pretty enjoyable. I suppose the game will be a lot easier if you don't need to pay attention to the upper screen.

Graphically speaking, it's beautiful. I wasn't really convinced by the trailer, but I was really impressed once I saw the game run on my iPhone 4. No qualms on the musical side of things either, since it obviously sounds much, much better than on DS and it also looks like they put back the tracks that were removed from the EU/US release back in the day (I just heard Fighting for Freedom).

Also, the game saves automatically every time you do something significant (event ends, change screens, close main menu...), and unless I'm missing something, it's the only way to save. It's perfect, but likely means there isn't a way to create a second file in this version either.

When all is said and done, I think this is a really good effort from SE. There isn't a lot that could be done about battles and the use of dual screen so they did whatever they could, but everything else is simply upgraded compared to the DS release.
I never expected big things from the countdown and didn't hop on the hype train despite being a huge TWEWY fan, so I'm honestly really happy with this. I'm one of those who think we might be better off without a sequel, with the original game remaining a single entity gem, so getting such a quality port is okay for me.

heringer

There's a surprising amount of effort in the port indeed. Not only new visuals but they also had to rebalance a lot to make it work with one screen, and I think they did a mighty fine job with that. At least so far.

The way the handle iOS releases is really bad though. Not allowing the binary of the iPhone version to work on iPad is a really shitty move. It's dumb too, since I doubt a lot of people buy both versions of the game (since you can't even share data). The small percentage of people who does that shouldnt be enough to make it worth to shit on consumers for a few extra bucks.

Skilletor

There's a surprising amount of effort in the port indeed. Not only new visuals but they also had to rebalance a lot to make it work with one screen, and I think they did a mighty fine job with that. At least so far.

The way the handle iOS releases is really bad though. Not allowing the binary of the iPhone version to work on iPad is a really shitty move. It's dumb too, since I doubt a lot of people buy both versions of the game (since you can't even share data). The small percentage of people who does that shouldnt be enough to make it worth to shit on consumers for a few extra bucks.

Agreed. I wish this was a universal app, but it's obvious a lot of effort went in to this port. It looks beautiful, runs very well on my iPad2, and had a lot of features tweaked and changed to fit one screen.

I love it so far. So happy to have an excuse to play it again.

Huff

Banned
I'm already further than I was in the DS version (which I admit wasn't very far). Really enjoying it and it looks lovely

Jubern

I saw people talking about lack of iCloud support, what does this entails exactly? Save data not being restored from iCloud backup? Would a normal iTunes backup restore the data in case of a fuckup?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I saw people talking about lack of iCloud support, what does this entails exactly? Save data not being restored from iCloud backup? Would a normal iTunes backup restore the data in case of a fuckup?

It means you can't play on your iPhone and then play where you left off on your iPad. This is no huge surprise though since the game isn't universal

Jubern

I see :/

I don't own an iPad so I shouldn't care, but not making such an expensive app (for iOS standards) universal on purpose really is a dick move.

heringer

And the worse thing is that RPGs full of metagames are a perfect fit for Universal + iCloud.

Play the story portions at home with the iPad, play some battles and mess around with pins on the iPhone while not at home.

But enough of that. People playing, remember to use the sub-slot command. Sooo good.

Ultratech

Something I noticed earlier while watching the Youtube vids was that some of the removed music made an appearance.

Like the song "Fighting for Freedom" pops up in Day 3, when it was completely removed and replaced with another song in the NA DS game.

Makes me wonder if some of the other removed tracks pop up later on...

In preparation for a sequel announcement, I went and tracked down TWEWY online for DS. It hasn't gotten here yet. Should I even bother opening it or should I try and return it and just get the iOS version?

drkOne

Loving the iPad(iPad 2) version, even being one of those guys who did enjoy the dual-screen combat.

About the price… I'm not a fan of the iOS market of cheap games that I end up disliking. I really like how Square prefers to put the extra effort towards this platform even if that means higher price point, iOS needs more high-budget games so I can finally stop carrying my 3DS and Vita everywhere.

raven777

please give me some impressions on how it runs on the new ipad's retina display.

I doubt anyone bought for both ipad and iphone so I don't think I can see the comparison.

Huff

Banned
In preparation for a sequel announcement, I went and tracked down TWEWY online for DS. It hasn't gotten here yet. Should I even bother opening it or should I try and return it and just get the iOS version?

it depends, if you think the dual screens is really what made the game, your going to want to stick with the ds version. if not, the ios version is a very competent port which i dont think loses much of the partner aspect even without 2 screens

Hylian7

I asked this in the other thread, but nobody had gotten there yet.

Has anyone gotten to week two yet? If so,
How are the taboo noise handled?

heringer

Well, I read it that it works (on iTouches) if you do all that cracking stuff with jailbreak. No idea how that works though, and hopefully people who decides to do that buys the game first.

Sushigod7

I've been playing the DS version now only a few hours but this has me interested the single large screen on my iPad would be nice. Hmmm decisions.

jcm

please give me some impressions on how it runs on the new ipad's retina display.

I doubt anyone bought for both ipad and iphone so I don't think I can see the comparison.

I only played it for an hour or so, but I think it looks really nice. It's a bit jaggy, of course. No frame rate problems. I never played the ds version, so I can't compare that. Anything specific you want to know? Would a screenshot be helpful?

Top Bottom