• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TWEWY: Solo Remix |OT| Déjà vu

raven777

I only played it for an hour or so, but I think it looks really nice. No frame rate problems. I never played the ds versio, so I can't compare that. Anything specific you want to know? Would a screenshot be helpful?

I just want to know how the image looks. The game doesn't support the new ipad's retina display, so I am worried that it might look blurry/jaggy. How does it look?

I don't think capture screenshot will help, unless you take off-screen picture.

Skilletor

I just want to know how the image looks. The game doesn't support the new ipad's retina display, so I am worried that it might look blurry/jaggy. How does it look?

I don't think capture screenshot will help, unless you take off-screen picture.

The backgrounds are kind of blurry, but the sprites are all really clean. I have a few images I can upload soon.

Question to those playing on IPhone: do you find the screen cluttered or difficult to navigate especially during combat? I ask because sometimes I find that playing on the smaller screen my fingers block the screen and take up a lot of screen space.

For reference, I've never played the original even though I ordered a copy from Amazon last week.

Game really does look great in action. I'm actually kind of surprised.

I'm also digging how much faster the puck passing is here. Super highspeed back and forth combos as you try to time your attacks.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Does it still support the Streetpass-esque features of the DS release?
Not anymore as far as I can tell. You can connect with other people to trade Friend Cards but there doesn't seem to be a way to leave it running in mingle mode in the streetpass-like way the DS version allowed.

(Rest of this post has to do with differences regarding mingle mode and is a minor thing depending on how you look at it, but I'll be thorough for anyone interested.)

For anyone not familiar with this, PP (Pin Points) are the points used to level-up/evolve pins. There's also the thing with PP mixing but I won't go there. Mingle PP is a certain type of PP that you can only get by connecting with other players. This is the way it worked on the DS:

http://twewy.wikia.com/wiki/Mingle_Mode
http://twewy.wikia.com/wiki/PP#MPP

The other types are Battle PP, that you get from normal battles, and Shutdown PP. Shutdown PP is still present in this version. It's a kind of PP you get while you're not playing the game, and it goes for the pins on the deck you had equipped when you stopped. Thing is, the game only clocks your non-playing time if you go back to the main menu. I can't see any way in-game to "go back to title", so you have to kill the app on the multitask bar if you're done playing for a while and want to get SDPP. Anyway, both BPP and SDPP work the same on iOS.

Mingle PP was one of the criticisms some players had with the original game due to how annoying it was to obtain. I was testing mingle in this version and it seems to be even more impossible to get Mingle PP now. There doesn't seem to be any way to get "alien" connections (which were random bonuses and connections to any wireless device, not necessarily a DS) in order to acquire MPP like you could in the DS version, and the wireless modes where you trade Friend Cards and play Tin Pin Slammer with other people actually require you to be physically close to someone with an iPhone or iPad with a copy of the game and bluetooth turned on. This is not ideal because some pin evolutions are only attainable with Mingle PP (in this version too, as mentioned in the help section of the mingle menu).

What this all means is that this makes it virtually impossible for some people to go after all the 304 pins you can get. Assuming they didn't change the pin chart, these are the pins you can only get by using MPP (I pulled this list quickly so if anyone sees something wrong, tell me):

Pin 004 - Blizzard Cool
pin 015 - Beauty Launcher
Pin 019 - Sparkle Beam
Pin 041 - Meteor Hook
Pin 042 - Meteor Spike
Pin 051 - Rapier Glance
Pin 089 - Mikazuki
Pin 115 - Wassup Voltage
Pin 120 - Vacu Squeeze
Pin 123 - Gimme Dat Hippo
Pin 140 - Velocity Tackle
Pin 143 - Go 2 Heaven
Pin 153 - One Grain, Infinite Promise
Pin 161 - June Hearth, January Fan

So yeah, only 14 out of 304. Skills-wise some of them are unique and some have powers that are similar to other pins. There are more pins you can get by MPP evolution, but those can also be acquired by other means like drops, shops and normal evolutions. In the end this only affects completionists who want all pins but won't be able to find someone in real life with a copy of the game on iOS.

Ironically, this time it will be easier for me because I have a close friend who bought the game. I'm still disappointed in this implementation because there's no reason they couldn't make it possible to play Tin Pin matches online or find people online to trade Friends Cards with by using the GC friends list or something in that vein. Best case scenario they'll change how this works with an update and tweak it to work online, at least with the Tin Pin Slammer matches. Probably not happening.

tl;dr:
- Battle PP: play the game normally.
- Shutdown PP: requires you to go back to the main menu like in the DS version. With the DS you just had to turn off the game but on iOS terms this means you have to kill the app as there's no "quit game" option.
- Mingle PP: sucks even more now. You can only get it by knowing someone in real life who has the game on iOS.

Fuu

Does the mingle pp use the gamecenter stuff. Couldnt people use that and this thread for this pp?
I thought it would but unfortunately it doesn't. :/ GameCenter integration seems to be just for achievements and ESP'er points leaderboard.

Question to those playing on IPhone: do you find the screen cluttered or difficult to navigate especially during combat? I ask because sometimes I find that playing on the smaller screen my fingers block the screen and take up a lot of screen space.

For reference, I've never played the original even though I ordered a copy from Amazon last week.

Anyone?

Fuu

Despite the battle screen getting very busy at times in this game I haven't had any problems, and other people playing on the iPhone haven't complained about fingers covering the action so far either. Even if you have a big hand you'll keep lifting you finger and slashing at different places of the screen nonstop so there isn't even much time for anything of value to be blocked.

That said, I played it on the DS so I'm used to the way it plays with a stylus and knew what to expect. If you already find yourself feeling the screen is too small and that your fingers often block what's happening with iPhone games, you may have a different experience.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The real question is do pins still level up when you're not playing the game?
And can you cheat the system?

the wireless modes where you trade Friend Cards and play Tin Pin Slammer with other people actually require you to be physically close to someone with an iPhone or iPad with a copy of the game and bluetooth turned on.

thanks for the info. making space on my wife and kids ipads RIGHT NOW!

Whoa, hold the phone - is this an option you can toggle or do you -have- to be running your device in Japanese locale for this to happen?

It will play in Japanese if your device's language is set to Japanese. There may be someway to select the language in-game, but I didn't look for one.

Jubern

I'm pretty sure you can't select the language ingame. I use my phone in Japanese to begin with and despite buying the game on the French App Store it is indeed playing in Japanese.

Hobohodo

Yeah so this is pretty embarrassing but I accidentally clicked through the tutorial and have no idea how to use Shiki...

Fuu

I asked this in the other thread, but nobody had gotten there yet.

Has anyone gotten to week two yet? If so,
How are the taboo noise handled?
Quoting an old post to answer this. Now you handle them with Cross Combos, which is the equivalent of passing the Puck from the DS version. To make Cross Combos you have to alternate attacks between Neku and partner, and when you're doing it right you get a green light on the characters. You do more damage and it raises your sync.

Yeah so this is pretty embarrassing but I accidentally clicked through the tutorial and have no idea how to use Shiki...
You probably figured how she plays by now but you can check the tutorials again on the main menu through the "?" button, then "Review Tips" (+ the books in the items menu). Also, each submenu has different content when you press the "?" button.

edit:

By the way, really enjoying how the game looks. When I saw the screenshots I thought it looked a tad weird but it looks great on the iPhone. I love the sprites from the DS version but it's so nice to see the characters and enemies looking sharp, high-res and so close to the original artwork.

Iq7Pi.jpg

Jubern

Yup. I definitely can't understand people who assimilated this HD edition to the likes of Super Street II HD or bad HD upscales. This is a well done work.

Kirby102

I just got this and it reminded me how much I loved this for the DS. I'm playing through it again, up to the 4th day.

The partner system makes the game easier on some regard, I think it's because it makes the partner an extra pin for attacks. (ie. Shiki's attack) But yeah, it's a bit cluttered I think.

Unless it's my phone that's got a lot of junk, the loading times are a bit long when transitioning to even the menu :S Is it just me? Are loading times instant from overworld to game menu?

I just got this and it reminded me how much I loved this for the DS. I'm playing through it again, up to the 4th day.

The partner system makes the game easier on some regard, I think it's because it makes the partner an extra pin for attacks. (ie. Shiki's attack) But yeah, it's a bit cluttered I think.

Unless it's my phone that's got a lot of junk, the loading times are a bit long when transitioning to even the menu :S Is it just me? Are loading times instant from overworld to game menu?

tbh ds game didn't have the snappiest transitions either.

Hylian7

Maybe I should just post my grand list of questions about how certain things are handled in this version, be warned, lots of them are spoilers, some major spoilers.

-Clothes that gave benefits to stats like defense for the partner, how did those get changed? Since Shiki can't even be hurt now, her having a defense stat is completely pointless. On top of that there are the clothes that affect the light puck too.
-
Higashizawa fight: Is there any screen switching going on or is it just all fought from Neku's "screen" like everything else?
-
Joshua's "jesus beams": They are kind of a big deal in the storyline, with that whole moment of "Whoa, he can do that?!" and then it tells you how to use them in a battle. Since there is only one way to attack with the partners, does he just permanently switch to jesus beams or is there some way to switch or what?
-
Uzuki and Kariya fight: Part of the big deal about that fight was they were partners, had their own light puck and would even do fusion attacks. How is this handled in this version?
-
That fox noise that turns to stone on one screen, while it can only be attacked on the other. How is that changed?
-
The Konishi battle, so much of it involved doing separate things on the two screens. How did they handle this?
-
The final boss fight. In the original you would occasionally see arrows appear on the top screen telling you to hit one to get fusion stars for that partner's fusion attack.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Fuu

I'm having fun with the new partner system, there's still management involved due to recharge time, combos, sync and fusion attacks. You still need to mix attacks for sync/maximum damage, depending on the partner's way of attack certain types of pins make it easier to do combos, and fusion is fun to pull with the cards.
The cards during Beat's fusion are the most fun to me, looks like I'll be having him as my main partner in the post-game content once again

It's nice to not be a noob and not spend all my scarletite without planning ahead. :lol I still plan to go farming scarletite and the other rare drops to
max everyone and everything
just for the heck of it though.

Maybe I should just post my grand list of questions about how certain things are handled in this version, be warned, lots of them are spoilers, some major spoilers.

-Clothes that gave benefits to stats like defense for the partner, how did those get changed? Since Shiki can't even be hurt now, her having a defense stat is completely pointless. On top of that there are the clothes that affect the light puck too.
Defense is just a single overall stat now. When it comes to clothes, there are still those that raise the defense of the partner, but it works as a bonus. Suppose the overall defense is 10. If you equip Neku with a Def+2 shirt and the partner with a Def+5 one, you'll get Defense = 10+7. If you unequip Neku's shirt, it becomes Defense = 10+5.

The clothes that affected the light puck became clothes that give different effects to the cross combos like CC Boost (increases cross combo power), CC Faster Sync (accelerates your sync rate charge), and so on. For example, the Peach Turtleneck had the "Faster Puck I" ability on the DS version, on iOS it's changed to "CC Faster Sync I".

Clothes that changed the combo map now have abilities related to the cards during fusion attacks. For example, Funky Shades had the "Show Combo Map Longer" ability, now it has "Lasting Fusion III" (gives you more time to manipulate the cards during fusion).

-
Higashizawa fight: Is there any screen switching going on or is it just all fought from Neku's "screen" like everything else?
Neku's screen only.
Higashizawa in Ovis Cantus form
is the same size he was on Neku's side on the DS version and his moveset is the same.

-
Joshua's "jesus beams": They are kind of a big deal in the storyline, with that whole moment of "Whoa, he can do that?!" and then it tells you how to use them in a battle. Since there is only one way to attack with the partners, does he just permanently switch to jesus beams or is there some way to switch or what?
Each partner has a different input method, as follows:

-Shiki: tap the enemy, tap more to continue attacking.
-Joshua: slide your finger downwards on an empty space, keep sliding to continue attacking (he'll attack where you slide down on the screen, so it has to be where the enemy you want to hit is).
-Beat: drag your finger on empty space, he attacks on his own a bit and you drag him towards enemies for more attacks. Pressing empty space also works.

Joshua changes permanently to the beam attacks. After the reveal you get an explanation about it, he'll keep levitating in battle and you attack with him the same way as before (sliding your finger down), but if you keep making cross combos he'll start summoning tiny angels along with the beams that blast more enemies, then do a finisher with two larger beams/bigger angels if you keep it up.

-
Uzuki and Kariya fight: Part of the big deal about that fight was they were partners, had their own light puck and would even do fusion attacks. How is this handled in this version?
-
That fox noise that turns to stone on one screen, while it can only be attacked on the other. How is that changed?
-
The Konishi battle, so much of it involved doing separate things on the two screens. How did they handle this?
-
The final boss fight. In the original you would occasionally see arrows appear on the top screen telling you to hit one to get fusion stars for that partner's fusion attack.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Haven't got to any of these yet so I'll get back to them at a later time if no one else can answer.

Fuu

Yeah 5 seconds is excessive, I'm on an iPhone 4 and it doesn't lag like that. Maybe try force closing other apps on the multitask bar while you play?

(edit: back to one of my old Beat avatars to celebrate. lolz.)

I don't get it, how would it not be compatible with an ipod touch? What would be different?

RAM. iPhone4 and up have 512. iPad 1 and iPod 4th Gen have 256.

People that forced the game install on a jailbroken iPod confirmed that it runs like crap and crashes often.

Edit: Also, how does Mingle? Is it local only?

Yup. I definitely can't understand people who assimilated this HD edition to the likes of Super Street II HD or bad HD upscales. This is a well done work.

The outrage over much of this game was pretty silly. It's one of the nicest HD looking re-do's I have seen. Dare I imagine what a remake of FF V or VI using that amount of effort would look like. Good stuff! But sadly I can't afford it, and I am not a big fan of the DS version anyway. So I doubt I would get much out of this either. But I can certainly see where they deserve recognition.

Just picked this up today and really digging it so far. Love the increased graphics and sound quality.

If anyone's gotten that far, how do you handle the Pig noise that required you to
put the DS to sleep?

xCobalt

This is my first time playing TWEWY and I'm enjoying it so far. Got a couple of beginner questions though. First, how or where do you sell pins? I tried going to that clothing store you first had access to and couldn't find a way to sell. Second, there is a green check mark that can be toggled when equipping pins or purchasing something, what is that for?

This is my first time playing TWEWY and I'm enjoying it so far. Got a couple of beginner questions though. First, how or where do you sell pins? I tried going to that clothing store you first had access to and couldn't find a way to sell. Second, there is a green check mark that can be toggled when equipping pins or purchasing something, what is that for?

(IIRC) in the "pins" section of the main menu there is a "trash can" icon where you dump them off and can get money for them, just drag them to it and it should prompt you if you want to sell it.

jcm

Should I be clearing each level of random noise as I move through it? Seems like there's a whole lot.

Mzo

Should I be clearing each level of random noise as I move through it? Seems like there's a whole lot.
Noise are like the random enemy fights in lesser JRPGs, except you choose when you want to fight them.

. Second, there is a green check mark that can be toggled when equipping pins or purchasing something, what is that for?

Green check mark means the game won't ask to confirm when you buy or sell.

Anyone got an achievement list? Game Center only shows the one achievement I have.

Nohar

It seems that a secret image from the secret ending has filtered (needless to say : spoiler) : http://i.imgur.com/oCjx9.jpg

Sequel Hook in Shibusa... But who is this chick ? The doll is the same as Shiki's, but I don't think that's her (real Shiki looks like this). She wears headphones, like Neku... Interesting. I wouldn't suggest that she's his younger sister, that would be far too simple, but since Neku lost his memories during the game until week 2, and since we don't know that much about his past... And, well, the doll could be a gift from Shiki. Anyhow, intriguing.

Top Bottom