• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TWEWY: Solo Remix |OT| Déjà vu

Ultratech

I got a question... (Didn't see it mentioned earlier, but thought I'd ask.)

How exactly does the penultimate boss fight work now?
Panthera Cantus in Another Day
I only ask since that was a two-screen boss fight.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ugh, I forgot how annoying it is to get the drops from Fifenfrog because the little asshole won't even show up.

I got a question... (Didn't see it mentioned earlier, but thought I'd ask.)

How exactly does the penultimate boss fight work now?
Panthera Cantus in Another Day
I only ask since that was a two-screen boss fight.
By penultimate boss fight don't you mean
Konishi/Tigris Cantus
? Here's a description of that battle.

For the
Hanekoma/Panthera Cantus superboss fight (Leo Cantus and Tigris Cantus mixed) in Another Day
you fight both on the same screen simultaneously. Moveset is the same.

Ultratech

Ugh, I forgot how annoying it is to get the drops from Fifenfrog because the little asshole won't even show up.

By penultimate boss fight don't you mean
Konishi/Tigris Cantus
? Here's a description of that battle.

For the
Hanekoma/Panthera Cantus superboss fight (Leo Cantus and Tigris Cantus mixed) in Another Day
you fight both on the same screen simultaneously. Moveset is the same.

Yeah, I was about half-asleep when I wrote that. lol
My bad.

I take it since you fight both simultaneously on the same screen, it's a much harder fight then?

Fuu

Yeah, I was about half-asleep when I wrote that. lol
My bad.

I take it since you fight both simultaneously on the same screen, it's a much harder fight then?
Hmm, I can't say for sure as I haven't faced this version of the boss on hard or ultimate yet, but for now I'd say it has its pros and cons. It's harder in that they'll both be attacking you on a single screen, but at the same time you don't have to do the multi-screen dodging/blocking management anymore.
The Tigris form isn't very fast so while you have to keep an eye on the shadow clones the main focus of attacks come from the nonstop kicking of the Leo form.

Mrbob

Just got to day one again. This game is amazing. Having so much fun just testing out different pins. I want Shiki back, though. :(

so ipad version is retina?

The game page says so, but to me it doesn't look as crisp as other Retina games I've played. Not that it looks bad, but I don't believe it is.

Fuu

The TWEWY Wikia article for Solo Remix has a changelog section now. Some of the changes were mentioned in the thread but it's better organized there and goes into way more detail about what is different in this version (no mention of the changes to Mingle Mode yet but you can read it here).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm playing TWEWY for the first time here on iOS, been plugging away at it for the last week or so. To begin with I really hated it, Neku really really annoyed me, the music grated and the constant stop-start of the game with the long pointless cutscenes was really grinding me down. Now, a week later I'm happy to say I'm enjoying it finally. I just started Day 7 and the sotry, while still all too frequent is actually becoming a little bit interesting as the characters are becoming revealed. THe game is totally tone deaf still though, as evidenced by the music (the damn music!! :p) in these 'emotional' cutscenes. Would it really be so difficult to have some sad music for SHiki's story? Maybe even some scored music that unfolded as the scene progressed? No, here's so jpop, enjoy that schadenfreud bitch :p

The combat is really clicking for me now though. The sub button allows you to really string together some devastating moves as Neku, and having that tap-slash rhythm with Shiki feels really natural. Honestly, if it weren't so expensive and obnoxiously verbose this would be a perfect mobile game, the combat is like a more fun and fast paced Infinity Blade with the ponderous pattern recognition elements. Stacking the enemies is also a neat play on the JRPG formula and lets you really get a groove going with the combat. It's fun to play, and it's lucky because I think otherwise I'd find it much harder to get into the rest of the game without the silver lining of fun combat.

I still think the game is very hit and miss, a lot of it seems very trite and often oddly designed (why can't I sell my old clothes? My inventory is cluttered already) but it is oddly compelling at the same time.

Still hate the music though :p

Fuu

I'm clocking over 100 hours in the game and close to 100%-ing everything. However, after buying every item at every store I noticed my item collection was still at 491 types (98.5%). Before that I had borrowed my mother's iPhone and installed my copy of the game on it in order to quickly do the mingle stuff. The first time I traded friend cards I got a CD with Track 35, which is not sold in any shop.

I went to check my collection and it turns out I'm missing the CDs with tracks 37, 38, 40, 42, 45, 46 and 48. I kept testing with friend card trading but, after the first Track 35 CD, the game only gives me 5 yen pins when the mingling is done with the same person as before. Since the help section of Mingle Mode says "keep those virtual handshakes going, and you'll eventually get your mitts on some really special items", I'm assuming you have to trade friend cards with a total of eight different people to get all the remaining CDs and complete the item collection. Unfuckingbelievable! Who thought this was a good idea when the game doesn't even have online modes? This is a great port but mingle being local-only is a terrible letdown and they seriously need to update it.

-A correction: despite the game giving a bluetooth error when you try to mingle with no one around, you actually don't need bluetooth to connect with other people. I managed to do it just fine through wi-fi. And another thing, you don't need Mingle PP to face the super boss in this version, you can
defeat the Pig Noise at Pork City F12 with Cross Combos instead of using the Velocity Tackle pin because Cross Combos ignore immunities.

I currently have 17 out of 20 achievements. I haven't seen a full list anywhere on the internet yet, and since the list is invisible until you unlock them I'm posting the 17 I got here. I can confirm the game is perfectly playable on an iPhone even on higher difficulties (the screenshot below was taken on a Mac, reason why it doesn't look like the iPhone's version of Game Center).

TRx2P.png

Game On!
Win your first battle.

Friends with Shiki
Complete the first part of the story.

Friends with Joshua
Complete the second part of the story.

Friends for Life
Complete the third part of the story.

Slam Dunk
Win your first wireless Tin Pin Slam.

Open Up Your World!
Trade Friend Cards for the first time.

"F" for Freaking Expensive
Pick up a Liberty Duke.

Shakin' and Bacon
Defeat every Pig Noise.

Chatty at the Counter
Unlock every ability.

Real Ultimate Growth Spurt
Max out Neku's level.

Reaper Ravager
Obtain the Angel Feather.

Tin Pin Wizard
Obtain the Wizard's Glasses.

UG Wildlife Buff
Complete the Noise Report.

Preeminent Pin Scholar
Master every possible pin.

Fastest in the 'Buya
Earn a ★ in the Final Time Attack.

A New Shibuya
View the super-secret ending.

Strongest in the 'Buya
Defeat Panthera Cantus.

For Shutdown PP I did the same internal clock trick you could do on the DS because fuck if I'd wait months for some pins to evolve. There were no achievements for
getting all Noise drops, only for filling the Noise Report with every Noise
. Also none directly related to
maxing the FSG levels on every shop, but you need to do it for the abilities one

You can figure out most of them by reading the description but here's how to get the less-obvious ones:

-Obtain the Angel Feather: do the boss time attack at the Room of Reckoning in Another Day.
-Pick up a Liberty Duke: buy the Liberty Duke watch at either Bel Airplane or Pegaso Atelier in the Shibu Dept. Store.
-Obtain the Wizard's Glasses: meet Shinji Hashimoto in Another Day. You can meet him at Molco after you finish the Tin Pin events.
-Defeat Panthera Cantus: beat the superboss on the roof of Pork City in Another Day.

What I'm assuming are the 3 achievements I don't have:

1 - Get the Demon ESP'er Rank (at least 10001 points).
2 - Complete the Item Collection.
3 - No idea for now. Maybe getting a star on "ESP'er points" since it's separated from ESP'er Rank in the Deeds menu. Or maybe maxing everyone's stats with food as I haven't done this yet, but I don't think so. I even got my money up to 9,999,999 yen once to see if there was any achievement for that, but that's not the case either.

Anyway, I was going to keep raising my ESP'er Rank next, but the item collection thing was too much of a cockblock. I think I'll either take it slower or just stop for now until they decide to make Mingle Mode online.

picked this up finally. I do find it being a huge miss opportunity with no multitouch for battles. Controlling 1 dude with 1 finger, 1 with another. hmmm...

Fuu

picked this up finally. I do find it being a huge miss opportunity with no multitouch for battles. Controlling 1 dude with 1 finger, 1 with another. hmmm...
Speaking of multitouch, make sure to touch two cards at the same time during Shiki's fusion as it makes it easier to get a higher multiplier.

Speaking of multitouch, make sure to touch two cards at the same time during Shiki's fusion as it makes it easier to get a higher multiplier.
k!

I'm still not too sure how to do the cross thing properly. What happens if you have a pin that is also tapping like shiki?

Game is quite gorgeous though. Am pretty impressed!

Fuu

k!

I'm still not too sure how to do the cross thing properly. What happens if you have a pin that is also tapping like shiki?

Game is quite gorgeous though. Am pretty impressed!
Tapping pins are the best for pulling combos with Shiki because with them you activate both her and Neku's attack at the same time. Cross Combos happen when you hit the enemy with both characters in consecutive hits, dealing more damage and increasing the sync rate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if the US version has the Japanese language version in it, too? Some Square Enix games do this (Chaos Rings, Final Fantasy III, etc.) but I don't see language options listed on the iTunes page.

raven777

Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if the US version has the Japanese language version in it, too? Some Square Enix games do this (Chaos Rings, Final Fantasy III, etc.) but I don't see language options listed on the iTunes page.

It has Japanese language if your iphone/ipad's local language is set in Japanese

Yuripaw

Banned
Has anyone played this on iPhone 4? I'm curious how well it runs on it. Haven't gotten my iPhone yet, but I'd like to pick this up assuming it runs alright.

Fuu

Has anyone played this on iPhone 4? I'm curious how well it runs on it. Haven't gotten my iPhone yet, but I'd like to pick this up assuming it runs alright.
No issues. There may be a short skip in the audio once in a while when it's auto-saving but nothing beyond that (I'm not sure if it happens on the 4S/iPad).

edit: also, framerate is in the shitter for a couple of seconds while it's logging in Game Center but that happens to all iOS games with GC support.

No issues. There may be a short skip in the audio once in a while when it's auto-saving but nothing beyond that (I'm not sure if it happens on the 4S/iPad).

edit: also, framerate is in the shitter for a couple of seconds while it's logging in Game Center but that happens to all iOS games with GC support.

Neither of these slowdowns you mention occur on an iPad 3rd gen. iPad 2 didn't have the Game Center slowdown issue on games I played on it while I owned one either.

Trying to master all the pins is a bitch at times, but other than that this game is fantastic. One of my favourite games of all time easily. Whatever platform the sequel goes to, I'll be buying it day one!

Fuu

Neither of these slowdowns you mention occur on an iPad 3rd gen. iPad 2 didn't have the Game Center slowdown issue on games I played on it while I owned one either.
Good to know, thanks. Thankfully the Game Center login stutter is usually a non-issue in most games (TWEWY included), but it can be aggravating on games like Super Crate Box where even one second can be costly.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is there really no way to sell my clothes in this game? Seems really odd - the whole clothing system is a bit rubbish - no way of comparing items when buying, no way to sell stuff... very odd.

I'm still plugging away at the game though and I'm enjoying it a lot now. Towards the end of week 2 now, just found out Joshua's secret, I wonder how this is going to play out.

On the whole I think the game is not as good as the hype suggested but it is a decent, light game to play in 20 minute bursts.

Chinner

Banned
Is there really no way to sell my clothes in this game? Seems really odd - the whole clothing system is a bit rubbish - no way of comparing items when buying, no way to sell stuff... very odd.

I'm still plugging away at the game though and I'm enjoying it a lot now. Towards the end of week 2 now, just found out Joshua's secret, I wonder how this is going to play out.

On the whole I think the game is not as good as the hype suggested but it is a decent, light game to play in 20 minute bursts.

a gajin like you would not be able to appreciate the ~sophistication~ this game offers.

Fuu

The clothes in the game don't really work like the usual RPG equipment system where you buy a better one and sell the previous weaker version so you can afford it. The focus is less on the status and much more on the abilities, so even those you can buy at first can prove useful later on. I guess you can see it more like a massive "key items" menu, and you're encouraged to just keep blind purchasing like a madman to raise your friendship level with the sellers and unlock more unique abilities (you couldn't even see which character could equip what you were buying on the DS version, the little heads next to the required Bravery in stores was added for the iOS version).

That said, there could be some way of selling them but there wouldn't be much of a point because the money you'd get for purchased clothes would be negligible comparing to what you get from pins. The way the menu works you'd still have that piece of clothing darkened with a x0 too (like with the food and medicine), lol. There's something to be said about clutter but I think that them being organized by brand and being able to sort them by shirt, pants, etc, is enough to find what I want when I need it.

On the hype front, the game is verbose as hell which can be a turn-off, and although I was loving the gameplay all the way through and getting more and more interested in the story, it only really cemented itself as one of my favorites with the post-game content where it opens up in a very special way. There's still a lot to enjoy even if you don't play any of that, of course, but to me "beating" TWEWY only means you're half-done.

Ended up playing some more last night since I couldn't sleep. Probably didn't help things...

Shiki Day 4 really introduces a lot of new music that wasn't in either the Japanese or International DS releases. I might have to look into getting the soundtrack... wonder what the chances are of Square selling the physical CD here (it's where I got the original import soundtrack, even).

Has anyone been talking about the fact that square enix is holding a contest for voice actors for a new TWEWY game project, thus further confirming a sequel/new game is in the works?

I just saw an article on it at animenewsnetwork, id post the link but I hate my phone

Fuu

Has anyone been talking about the fact that square enix is holding a contest for voice actors for a new TWEWY game project, thus further confirming a sequel/new game is in the works?

I just saw an article on it at animenewsnetwork, id post the link but I hate my phone
Here:
Square Enix Holds The World Ends With You Vocal Audition

Successful applicants to debut in new Square Enix game

Square Enix has announced that it will hold a "The World Ends With You Vocalist Audition" this year culminating in an open audition to determine a vocal performer for an upcoming Square Enix game.

Entrants to the audition must send in their initial application by September 24. For the first stage of the audition, applicants must record their covers of a song from the The World Ends With You Nintendo DS game among a selected group of five. All applications will be reviewed by The World Ends With You producer Takeharu Ishimoto, and applicants who make it to the second stage must then send in a performance video. Users will be able to comment on these videos, and comments will be considered to determine who passes to the third stage of the audition. The third stage is scheduled to take place as an open audition in Tokyo on November 26, and applicants who pass the third and final audition will debut in a Square Enix game with music composed by Ishimoto.

An iOS port of The World Ends With You was released last month. The port's ending hints at further developments for the title.

[Via Hachima Kikō, 4Gamer.net]
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...x-holds-the-word-ends-with-you-vocal-audition

Sounds like it's soundtrack-related instead of having to do with actual VA. It can both support the idea of a completely new game/sequel or an expansion pack of sorts for the iOS version. Hopefully we'll hear more about it soon.

faridmon

We had a thread about it when Some GAFfers were trying to get into it. Its a sequel, I am sure. To which system? I don't know...

Dantis

Hey chums, does anyone know if the new soundtrack is getting a disc-based release, and what I should be searching for when I look on import sites? I looked on CDJapan and Yesasia, and couldn't find anything about it. :(

Fuu

Hey chums, does anyone know if the new soundtrack is getting a disc-based release, and what I should be searching for when I look on import sites? I looked on CDJapan and Yesasia, and couldn't find anything about it. :(
It's getting a CD release in October, but I'm not sure if it will be on other sites or only on SE's online store, at least at first. Apparently it will be available at TGS too in advance. Here's the link to the product page:

http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/SQEX-10337

You should be looking for すばらしきこのせかい - Crossover -, and the other variants like Subarashiki Kono Sekai - Crossover -, It's a Wonderful World - Crossover -, The World Ends With You - Crossover -, etc. You can try "Arrange Album" too, but that may take you to the previous remix album.

Some pics of the album that Takeharu Ishimoto has been posting on Instagram:

fCygr.jpg

fnRWx.jpg

xoPmn.jpg

Dantis

Excellent, cheers.

At the moment, I guess Yesasia and CDJapan aren't getting it in then, because those are the exact terms I searched for. :(

I guess, the worst case scenario is that I get it from iTunes.

Do we know how many tracks are on it? I couldn't see anything about it on the info page, and there seems to only be one or two on Youtube.

Necrovex

I have around $50 in my Apple ID (from the student deal), and I was looking at TWEWY: Solo Remix. I played and finished the game back on the DS. Is there enough new content in this edition to warrant another purchase for my iPhone 5?

Fuu

I have around $50 in my Apple ID (from the student deal), and I was looking at TWEWY: Solo Remix. I played and finished the game back on the DS. Is there enough new content in this edition to warrant another purchase for my iPhone 5?
Hard to say, I thought the gameplay differences were interesting and a good reason to go through the game again, but new content-wise it's pretty much just a visual and audio upgrade, no new scenarios or stuff like that. Here's a list of the changes and tweaks made in this version, it's a little overly detailed for what you're asking but it will help you decide if it's worth it.

Necrovex

Hard to say, I thought the gameplay differences were interesting and a good reason to go through the game again, but new content-wise it's pretty much just a visual and audio upgrade, no new scenarios or stuff like that. Here's a list of the changes and tweaks made in this version, it's a little overly detailed for what you're asking but it will help you decide if it's worth it.

Thank you. After looking at that list, I'll probably hold off from getting this update. I might get it when the sequel is about to come out.

BlueWord

Just picked this up. I logged like 150+ hours or something on the DS version, so sort of a no-brainer. It's not really as clumsy as I though it would, it works pretty well on the iPhone. Excited to see what other little changes and upgrades they made.

Hopefully the sequel ends up on the platform, assuming there is one in the works.

Fuu

Tomorrow it will be one month since the game was released on iOS and I'm curious about the Game Center numbers. The iPhone leaderboard is currently sitting at 39.318, can anyone with the iPad version post what's the number there?

heringer

Tomorrow it will be one month since the game was released on iOS and I'm curious about the Game Center numbers. The iPhone leaderboard is currently sitting at 39.318, can anyone with the iPad version post what's the number there?

Currently it's at 15.477.

Top Bottom